Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw Aliens for the first time 2 years ago and it blew me away. I suddenly got all the references to it in the video games I played. Video games would be so different today if Aliens wasn't made.

Really, I thought it was a perfectly made action movie. Lots of tension and great atmosphere with just the right amount of explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tardstar posted:

Did you someone how just miss it or are you one of those wretched young people? I'm literally scared that there are people born in the 90's on SA. It sucks.

I just missed the whole series somehow. I've watched Terminator, Robocop, and all that good stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gnarlyhotep posted:

Oh gently caress yes. But I have to disagree on Worst Offender. My suggestion is Independence Day: "NP I'll just hack the alien computer with my MacBook because hackers viruses information superhighway mathematics insert thing producer heard from nephew last week"

Writing the virus wasn't that hard once they found out the aliens use USB ports

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

beatlegs posted:

There were some great, substantial films made in the 80's. The lovely ones you can easily spot by the cheesy titles and garish cover art. Just a tip.

I think he's talking about movies made now that are set in the 80s.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stoatbringer posted:

And ricocheting bullets, no matter what they hit.

People shot with a silencer gun also never scream in pain. They are always instantly dead and the killer doesn't miss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sorry the comic is poo poo. And it has a character that is also made out of poo poo. I don't think they would make a movie where the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat villain going to other dimensions to beat up not-Superman

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mauzeraut posted:

The Matrix: Reloaded

I still enjoy this series despite its flaws, but one part really kills it for me. The fight scene with Agent Smith. Neo is flinging Smiths around and generally doing his super-badass thing.

And then he picks up the pole. About here, Neo becomes CGI-Generated Neo and it's horribly obvious. It just doesn't look real in the slightest, and it has nothing to do with artistic effect. His face looks like an EQ-II character and the physical effects of his clothing seem too smooth.

Yeah I remember back then people were going crazy over the burly brawl sequence and saying it was the best fight filmed. It looked terrible because everyone looked like fake rubber.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fast Five is like that. The main crew must have murdered 100s of innocent people during the finale chase, it's fine though because everyone in Brazil is apparently trash and/or druglords.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The script also started out as another movie and they slapped on the Die Hard 3 name later on which explains why it doesn't feel like Die Hard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Executive Decision or Air Force One, there's a lot of space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because they wanted some more Arcturian poontang. Male or female.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

misplaced axon posted:

Shrugging off 'shoulder' wounds happens in more movies and TV shows than you can list. I don't think most people realize the lung goes more or less up to the collarbone.

Starship Troopers really is the best

5 minutes later she's hugging Carl and Rico

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not a cultural thing. It was loving weird.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Huh, really? Learned something from this thread today. I'm still using the original battery for my cell that came with it, and while it doesn't hold as much of a charge as it used to it still holds a pretty good one since most what I do is texting, what with being deaf and all. I thought that cell batteries from the store were totally empty and needed to be charged a good long while before use.

Maybe they used to come dead. When I got an iPhone the guy at the store said I would need to charge it overnight before use. When I turned it on it had like a 90% charge already. Maybe companies have started charging them before selling.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That scene is saved by Goldblum asking her if she was really cut from her school gymnastics team.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Cow posted:

Koreans do this. Maybe I was missing something as my Korean is terrible, but all their phone conversations ended rather abruptly.

I'm Korean American and all my conversations (Korean or English) end with a goodbye.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nothing more embarrassing than shrinkage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Razorwired posted:

Be Cool, a pg-13 movie. Did a bit about how you could only use the "f word" once unless you wanted an R rating. The main character responded to the speech with "gently caress that".

Robert Altman intentionally puts a few "fucks" into his movies because he doesn't think young kids will understand his flicks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because they are racist against Black people and never intended to help the guy in the first place. It's LA.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Firebat technology and stimpacks research, definitely painful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ohhhh, that's where I recognized her. She had those monkeys fly out of her tits, right?

Wait, she's not in Tin Man. The monkey tit woman was Kathleen Robertson.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Nov 4, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cowslips Warren posted:

So why did the Walking Dead zombies suddenly learn to run in season 2, the last episode to air so far? Up till then I've never seen a zombie do more than shamble around. In the school yard though, the fuckers are moving like someone jammed a live wire in their rear end.

They ran in the very first episode. Rick was on that horse in Atlanta and they chased it down. In the second or third episode they were climbing over fences or jumping over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zero Winter posted:

In fact any general injury in movies irritate me since they generally have 0 repercussions.
"I got shot in the arm, knifed in the back, and a piece of metal lodged itself in my shoulder. But I can still fire this shotgun one-handed. Hell, I'll even carry all the shopping up the stairs."

Yup

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's what would make sense, although since there isn't any real contextual information to go on about how much of an investment the bridge is it's hard to tell the difference between what the writers intended to infer from the scene and what I'm subconsciously filling in to make it make sense. But eh, it's not like that one part turned the movie from a shining example of the art to complete and utter dreck in 15 seconds of a blond man crying.

About Starship troopers, I can accept underslung shotguns and over-the shoulder mini-nukes to a degree because it's supposed to be some sort of future federal/fascist society who (in the novel) uses powered armor dropped from space flying over battlefields bombing huge areas with miniaturized fusion weapons and such. They could have probably gone further into exploring some kind of impressive tech and weapons to reinforce what Heinlein was originally going for but it came off as really sketchy Scify originals generic stuff. I don't remember any orbital bombardments or specialized troops or weaponry beyond the aforementioned mini nukes. The 1 casing per handful of bullets thing just smacked of lazy though. That and little 11 year old me was yelling at the Navy idiots for piling all their drat ships within flinching distance of each other just to act surprised when the bugs started hitting their oversized clusterfuck of a target causing each ship to crash into the next like a line of giant exploding dominos. Oh, and lets just send piles of dudes at the planet with no armor or air support of any kind. Or any plan really, just throw dudes at it until all the bugs go away.

I sound madder than I am at Starship Troopers, but it was frustrating to Junior Elementary School Kid Red Ranger that even simple enjoyment of the movie was spoiled by the casual dismissal of any sort of structure of reality that would prevent those irritating details from ever occurring.

The inept military and tactics in Starship Troopers (the movie) is definitely intentional. It's supposed to be hilarious at how stupid they are. When they are amassing their battleships above Klendathu they see all those bright blue things coming out and blowing them up. The captain says "Those aren't just random lights! Somebody made a big goddamn mistake!" Yep, their intelligence told them that those lights weren't dangerous.

There's also the scene at the end when one of the Brains is captured. Doogie Howser reads his mind and says that it is afraid. Yeah, it's surrounded by thousands of enemy armed troops, thanks for that revelation.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Dec 26, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there a reason Xerxes is so huge?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KillRoy posted:

My favorite will always be Russell "I'm a spaniard by crikey!!" Crowe in Gladiator. At no point does he even attempt a spanish accent.

Was he Spanish in the movie? I thought he just made that part up to hide his real identity from the emperor.

I think if he was really Spanish though then he would have probably been from an aristocratic or influential family since he was an officer on a horse. He would know Latin, be very well educated and probably have more in common with the Roman elite than his own countrymen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

headrest posted:

In temple of doom, why don't the guards lunge at Indiana while he is threatening to cut down the bridge? They all have pointy swords, yet are moving very slowly at indy. And at this point, Dr. Jones is no longer dangling the stones over the bridge, so that threat is gone. And really, depending on the angle, the guards are about 3 feet away from him, enough to lunge at his torso with a sword

That bridge was janky as gently caress so they probably didn't want to move too quickly on it. Short Round nearly fell through just by walking on it. They were also caught completely by surprise since only a crazy person would start chopping the rope.

headrest posted:

Also, hey kid with the Indy voodoo doll: IT'S A loving VOODOO DOLL. Get creative. All you are doing is sticking a pin in it every 15 seconds? Some of us are actually trying to stop Dr. Jones from getting away, care to take part?

He's just a lovely kid having fun. Like those little snots that got pleasure from burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Also gently caress y'all Temple of Doom is the best of the series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I recommend this interview he did last year. Yes, it's AICN but it's a really informative interview they did. He admitted that while Indiana Jones is Lucas' baby, he adds in little bits here and there. The nuking the fridge scene was Spielberg's idea, for example.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

This is a more recent one with Lucas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=2&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytmag&pagewanted=all

quote:

When I told Lucas that Spielberg had accepted the blame for nuking the fridge, he looked stunned. “It’s not true,” he said. “He’s trying to protect me.”

In fact, it was Spielberg who “didn’t believe” the scene. In response to Spielberg’s fears, Lucas put together a whole nuking-the-fridge dossier. It was about six inches thick, he indicated with his hands. Lucas said that if the refrigerator were lead-lined, and if Indy didn’t break his neck when the fridge crashed to earth, and if he were able to get the door open, he could, in fact, survive. “The odds of surviving that refrigerator — from a lot of scientists — are about 50-50,” Lucas said.

:psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EPCOT posted:

As far as being irrationally irritated in the Harry Potter movies, what bothers me the most is Harry still showing amazement by how day to day magic things. Sure in the first two movies it was expected, but after a few years of your entire world revolving around magic, wouldn't the wonder of it all cease to be there?

Yeah it's ridiculous when Harry defeated some mythical evil snake by himself or encountered Voldemort and the next year he's amazed by some stairs that move by themselves.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It also bothered me on Space: Above and Beyond. Their pilots also do ground combat for whatever reason.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Duke of Ben posted:

The portrayal of Worf in TNG always bothered me, especially the earlier seasons. He's built up to be this big hothead who's constantly itching for violence, but he never actually flies off the handle. One word from Picard or anyone else and he's back to calm and rational. It's as if his whole persona is a complete fake, and he's not actually irrational or hot headed at all. He plays it up like he is, and everyone just goes along with it. We learn in later seasons that he was raised by humans and has a half-human son, acts completely sane, and has good technical skills. He learned how to be Klingon from a book, or perhaps watching original Trek episodes.

In DS9 he beats up like a dozen Jem Hadar warriors with his bare fists. He went full Klingon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Best use of this was Valkyrie, which had Tom Cruise reading out a letter in German and then slowly fading into English in the opening. It was simple and well-done. The movie was better than I expected in pretty much every way.

That's exactly how it was done in Red October

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the trailers are just bad. Watch the Japanese one, it makes the movie look a lot better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zzSqWUmlts.

On the other hand the lip syncing looks loving awful. They are speaking complete sentences while their mouths are closed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish the lights on flashlights made whooshing noises in real life

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sagebrush posted:

If it's anything like the Harvard of today, if you got in but didn't get a scholarship that waives either all or most of the tuition, you're not that smart and they don't actually want you.

Doesn't it cost a lot more money if you're a foreign student? They are in Argentina.

e: Wait, Rico is from Buenos Aires, I don't know where that other guy is from.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Dec 29, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's pretty old now. He played a chief in Hell on Wheels and didn't look very spry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sucrose posted:

Oh yeah, that guy. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know and hate that guy. He can't be just a good guy for the time period, no, he has to have morals exactly mirrored to modern day ones, like he's a fricken time-traveler or something.

Mel Gibson in The Patriot. He doesn't own slaves, he pays them!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mmm now I'm getting a mufaletta for lunch today. I wish the olive salad wasn't so greasy but I guess that's what makes it tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hammond and Nedry aren't related.

• Locked thread