Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ziji posted:

2. In "Inglourious Basterds", when Brad Pitt and the one guy from the Office are captured by the German officer, they just sort of let the other 2 guys get killed in the theater while they escape. I'm sure there must be some reason they didn't warn them(that I'm forgetting since it's been a while), but I still think it was incredibly stupid to just let them stay in there and be killed.

I only saw that movie once but weren't they on a suicide mission? Brad Pitt's character had the dynamite strapped to his leg too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NaturalLow posted:

I assume it was mostly just an extremely hamfisted to portray a lot of government agencies are all about procedures, beauracracy, and red tape.

Really I thought Ryan Reynolds' character wasn't much better though. It's really not surprising that he never got rescued since everytime someone asked him for information that might help, he never actually told them anything and was just like "gently caress your questions, read my mind and magically figure out where I am while I whine at you!"

I realize a person in that situation isn't going to be very calm, but I had a hard time sympathizing with him either.

What could he say? He woke up in a coffin. There's really no way to identify his location or where he could possible be. I found the movie kind of boring and may have missed some details though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Farbtoner posted:

More concerning to me is that Woody is a half-century old and has been passed down through Andy's family for generations, yet he doesn't seem to have any memory of his life before Andy; He has no idea about Woody's Round-Up or any of the other toys from the show, and he doesn't show any knowledge of being owned by Andy's mom. It's almost as if the toys lose their memory every time they get a new owner.
Wow, really? Is this from the second film? I never saw it. Suddenly it makes the ending of the third movie a lot sadder though.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

India had a strict caste system, Aladdin was on the lowest rung possible. He was literally not worthy enough to sell things, the best he'd do is live life as a servant to an abusive master. Then again, it being a Disney movie, that's kind of moot.
I'm pretty sure Aladdin is Arab, not Indian.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Mr. And Mrs. Smith, they are hunted by a highly trained deathsquads armed with everything from grenades and RPGs. At one point they take refuge in a shed and for some reason they don't just blow it up even though they know the smiths are hiding inside it. Then the Smiths stand out in the open, dodging rockets and bullets like they were the guys from Army of Two, even though they are completely surrounded by para-military forces armed with weapons that would utterly rip apart any target standing in the open like that.

edit: removed wrongness

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Sep 12, 2011

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Der Luftwaffle posted:

As for why he didn't play it safe and just use a regular gun, I guess that only something with the rate of fire of a minigun is able to overcome an Agent's speed-dodging ability.

Speaking of the agent's speed dodging ability, why didn't any of the resistance fighters ever use shotguns? Doesn't matter how fast you move when a wall of buckshot is flying at you. There are such things as automatic shotguns too, several walls of lead flying at you is not going to be easy to dodge.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah video games are to blame in large part I think for the belief that shotguns have this absurdly wide spread. Video games only do it as a balance thing (To make shotguns superior at close range but useless at a distance). A shotgun that spread that wide would be a poor hunting weapon, when people hunt ducks at a distance with shotguns all the time, and a lot more irresposible for police/military to use.
They DO spread, that's why the military and police use them for urban combat or inside of buildings, but they still hold pretty tightly.

I would still argue that shotguns(especially one with a spreader choke or a sawed off) would be a way better weapon to use against agents than pistols or even assault rifles. Hell, why don't they use flamethrowers or grenade launchers? Collateral damage shouldn't even be an issue.
But I'm gonna stop here since this is the irritating movie moment thread and not the sadly missed 'sperg about movies thread'.

Here's something from the TDK that always takes me out of the movie, the way this extra says the line "Things are worse than ever"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zja3pcPMszc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It really bothers me that the stupid teenager survives in War of the Worlds. He acts like a dumb inconsiderate prick the whole movie and almost causes his sister to be taken away by the couple during the battle. We even get to see a huge wall of flame engulf the hillside where he was and somehow he still makes it to Boston.
I guess it bothers me because in a movie where probably millions of people die, none of the major characters are affected at all. There's no loss or sacrifice or anything. A large chunk of the population of the WORLD get vaporized by ray guns and turned into red mist but it's still a happy ending because at least the family is together at the end. Yay :downs:

I don't even want to get into the absolutely retarded plan the Martians came up with to invade Earth. "Let's just bury these invincible killing machines and wait for millions of years to actually invade for some reason"

Also, why do the tripod's shields stop working? I know the aliens were defeated by Bacteria from earth but why would that affect their shields? Were the shields powered by one of the aliens running on a hamster wheel or something?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

No but that same scene has "THINGS ARE WORSE THAN EV-ER" (probably by the same cop) which has become a catchphrase among my friends.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Here's something I've always wondered about Watchmen:

Why did no one ever try to recreate the accident that created Dr. Manhattan? Did Manhattan just keep a tight lip about how we was locked in that machine and vaporized? But there were witnesses to that event so they can't be unaware how he was created.
You'd think the USSR or something would try to discover the process so they could have their own superman.

This sort of applies to Spider-man too, though Peter is the only one who knows how he got his powers and has good reasons for not wanting to share them.

Other movies try to explain it at least. Captain America:The scientist who invented the formula dies without having written it down. I guess he didn't trust people not to create a bunch of super jock bully assholes without his supervision. and in the Incredible Hulk someone actually does try recreating the process (Blonsky).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have difficulty picturing a housecat as anything resembling the word 'predatory' :v: If it were one of the big cats, certainly. A common housecat... Ah, the noble xenomorph, defeated by catnip.

So I guess you've never owned an outdoor cat, then? Or seen the half eaten corpses they leave for you. And sometimes they eat everything except the head and the intestines.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nevermind

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Why would any terminator need a complicated articulated hand instead of just a rail to mount various weapons on? I mean yeah that was clever how they use the same design as the skinned infiltrator on the battlefield. Way to save time on development. But why does Skynet think the human form is the highest design to aspire to?

Terminators were originally designed to infiltrate human resistance bunkers and then kill them from the inside. A big metal rail jutting out from your forearm might give you away.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In fact, I think a human is the only "primate" that can breathe and eat/swallow at the same time.

I'm pretty sure we can't do that, which is why people choke on food all the time. But we can chew food and breathe through our nose. Sorry I guess this is really semantic.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jan 3, 2012

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WampaLord posted:

Which leads me to an Irritating Moment about that scene. What's the dude towing? Train axles. What have we established exists in this version of the future? Flying trains.

So who's ordering the truckload of train axles?

Maybe he's delivering them to the garbage dump or recycling plant.

But then you have to wonder why don't they use one of the flying trains that can presumably go anywhere to deliver it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Writer Cath posted:

One thing that consistently irritates me in Adam Sandler movies is that his character is always incredibly wealthy and/or successful. Even when his other friends are ordinary guys, whatever character Sandler plays is always a hotshot something or other.

How about the fact that his love interests in movies are extremely attractive too? The women in Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are pretty enough, but his latest moves had Jessica Biel and Brooklyn Decker/Jennifer Aniston. I mean I've never heard of my female friends fawning over Sandler when they talk about their favorite actors.

Can't blame him I suppose, if I made movies that I starred in I would cast ridiculously hot co-stars as my love interest too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Travis343 posted:

Jews are extra not Asian

What does this even mean. How can you be 'extra not asian'

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wedemeyer posted:

When people brush their teeth, but A) there's no foam and B) they're speaking perfectly. At least stick your tongue between your teeth and mumble? One seen that comes to mind is Colin Farrell's character in 'In Bruges'.

For the longest time I thought my parents bought some weird rear end foaming toothpaste because of this. It always looks like they're just brushing their teeth with water or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ambiguatron posted:

In the most recent episode of Game of Thrones, Sandor Clegane picks a man up by the neck while rescuing Sansa from a soon-to-be gang rape and disembowels him with his free hand.

You can't do that.

The strongest human being in the world can't grasp a person by the neck and lift them up off the ground, using only the strength of their arm. For one, to lift a heavy weight you have to get under it, as in an overhead press. Even a bodybuilder would struggle to lift more than a moderately heavy dumbbell in the same motion, pulling the arm straight up while extended. More importantly, there would be no way to balance the weight, even if the lifter is a heavily muscled man of six-foot-six ish, maybe weighting 300 pounds or so in full plate armor and gear. Lifting the weight of a person straight out would require leaning back to balance the weight, or would just pull the person doing the lifting right over.

I hate it when they do that.

I can buy a Terminator doing it (it would be heavy enough to balance the weight, and strong enough) or a super powered character doing it, but not a really big guy who's just a really big guy. Unless it's Batman. Batman knows kung-fu.

The guy was a starving peasant, maybe he weighed like 80 lbs. I know that's still a lot to lift with one hand, but clegane is supposed to be really strong like his brother I think.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NightHunter posted:

I can just about ignore it by pretending that Loki's mind control is loving with his poo poo, once he gets free I don't think he actually misses a shot.

Alternatively you can interpret the missed shots as the Hawkeye fighting against the mind control. He consciously interferes with his own shots so they miss and kill a fellow shield agent.

hyperhazard posted:

They're powerful immortal beings, and people worship them. I'm pretty sure that makes them gods. Whether Cap personally prays to them or not is irrelevant.

And why does this never come up again? You'd think working in a team with a Norse god would shake Cap's faith a little, or at least cause a confrontation at some point, but nothing. They're the best of friends! And fighting a threat Captain apparently thinks is bullshit!

This confused and irritated the hell out of me.

I think Cap is just making the difference between 'God' and 'a god'. One is omnipotent/omniscient/omnieverything and the other is just a really powerful human(oid). You could argue Hulk is a god based on his power and seemingly invincibility/immortality too

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 21:20 on May 18, 2012

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Inception when Dicaprio's character hesitates to shoot the shadow or whatever of his dead wife. (During the snow fortress dream)

I mean, it's obviously not his wife. His character is the 'best extractor' and its been suggested he has more experience with this dream stuff than anyone else alive. He knows his wife periodically appears in dreams he is involved in and tends to try and gently caress him over in them. So why the hell does he hesitate to shoot? It's obvious it was just done so they could take that trip to limbo and he could complete his character arc and shame, but it just irrationally irritates me the way they did it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just saw the The Thing remake and it was awful. However the thing that irritated me was the sound effects, all manners of unnecessary sound effects and cliched sounds that made me think I was watching a cartoon or something.

Flamethrowers are the most effect weapon against the enemy, but whenever someone pointed a flamethrower at someone else it would make that stock "ke-chek" sound like someone was pointing a gun. There was another more awful example but I can't remember it now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just saw Cabin in the Woods and loved it. Something bothers me though. What possible reason could the facility have for implementing a 'system purge' that causes the monster cells to open all at once? Especially one that uses their elevator systems, ensuring all levels of the facility are hosed if the system purge was activated. Nevermind the fact that the system purge doesn't seem to require any sort of authorization.
:goonsay:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just saw Battleship and there's a part in the movie where an explosion on a ship happens and it goes slow motion, reverses the shot and goes through the explosion again. None of the main characters are involved in this explosion, and there wasn't some special detail that the director wanted you to see. It's just a random shot that was slowed down, reversed and then played again.

The only reason I can guess for this is that there was some special cool effect in 3D and they wanted you to experience it twice. But watching it at home on a regular TV just made it seem utterly necessary and irrationally irritating.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Terminal Entropy posted:

Three bombs in one: exploding outer layer, imploding middle layer, exploding core to do max damage, at least that is the way I was thinking of it as.

No, there's a guy that literally flies backwards with a fireball behind him, then the shot reverses and the guy flying through the air reverses(and the fireball shrinks), and then thrown away from the explosion again. Like they literally rewinded the film and then played it back. I'd timestamp it for you but that would mean having to watch an awful movie again.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but you'd think when it's at the point where he nearly killed Spidey's Aunt May, he'd at least hit hard enough to knock him unconscious.

I'm guessing it's pretty hard to calculate your super punches just enough so it knocks out a guy instead of giving him brain damage or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Independence Day, Will Smith's character somehow knocks out an alien wearing an exosuit that survived a crash landing (but not the hardest punch in the world apparently)

Also the fact that everyone on the internet seems to think he says 'earf' when he very clearly pronounces it as 'earth'

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Django Unchained, how does Django know how to ride a horse?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A White Guy posted:

Slaves holding guns in that movie made me go "no, that sure as poo poo wouldn't happen.". Then again, a lot of stuff in that movie would never happen in reality - human bodies are shittastic cover, Crappy little towns in Missouri didn't look like towns in western Wyoming during the pre-civil war days, and dude, is that a polyester shirt? :stonk:. It's a Quentin Tarantino movie :shrug:.
I know, but this is the irrationally irritating thread. Frankly the character of King Schultz is the most unbelievable aspect of the film. Dude is a dentist from Germany who just decides to take up bounty hunting on the other side of the world. Also he hates slavery and slave drivers/owners.

Bippie Mishap posted:

I know, right? How does he know how to speak English?
:rolleyes:

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Dec 27, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So movie characters are constantly skipping leg day :eng99:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bippie Mishap posted:

I was just making fun of him because I think he read the same review I did and I didn't think he would have come up with that on his own because not many people ride. I've owned horses for almost 30 years and I didn't even think of that. But a lot of slaves were able to own their own livestock.
I have no idea what review your referring to. And I hate to break it to you "horses require training to ride" is not exactly a well kept secret. I'd love to know more about these livestock owning slaves though, specifically any horse owning ones.

Cellphones have terrible reception in movies (or they're always running low on battery)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Dec 28, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I watched The Town last week and for some reason it really bothered me that Ben Affleck's character (the protagonist) is never once shown killing a person on-screen despite being part of a violent gang of bank robbers who gun down anyone who stands in their way. I guess it would muddy up his character's whole redemption arc but its still irritating.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MorgaineDax posted:

He definitely kills Fergie and his bodyguard in the flower shop though.

Yeah but they're evil and Fergie is indirectly responsible for his life of crime anyway.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Esroc posted:

The whole drone thing bugged me. It was a blatant plot device to stop the fight and wrap up the ending in a neat little bow before the credits rolled. When the nuke went off and the invasion forced all keeled over I couldn't help but roll my eyes. They could have just had the invasion force run and hide after seeing that backup wasn't coming, which would have simultaneously been more realistic as well as open up future stories. Such as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D having to occasionally hunt down rogue Chitauri soldiers or something.

Man that would be so much better. Agents of SHIELD would be vastly more enjoyable if it was about hunting down Chitauri and hiring Heroes (for hire) to help them. Especially if there are 'exceptional' Chitauri like the other poster said (though I never got the impression there were any exceptional or above-average Chitauri soldiers)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

muscles like this? posted:

In Jack Reacher one really stupid bit is the whole bathroom fight which, for some reason, starts off like a loving Three Stooges scene.

Hahah you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pl32NIIhAo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shai-Hulud posted:

I was rewatching The Dark Knight recently. In the beginning the joker robs the mob bank and that one mob dude with the shotgun gets shot in the legs and lies there screaming at him. The joker puts a grenade with some string on the pin in his mouth and walks away with the string in his hand. Why the hell does the mob guy not spit out the grenade and crawl away? He just lies there with the grenade in his mouth looking concerned while the joker strolls away, enters a bus and drives away pulling the pin out of the grenade...

Probably because since he works at a mob bank, he knows hes dead anyway since he let the joker get away with all their money.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier and loved it. But it does have some irrationally irritating moments

For example, Cap's shield. Sometimes it gets stuck in whatever it got thrown at, and sometimes it just bounces right off. If we're to believe Howard Stark who says the shield is "completely vibration absorbent", the shield shouldn't even be able to bounce at all. Does make for some cool actions scenes though.

I did like how genuinely superhuman Cap seemed to be though. He was basically unstoppable for most of the movie; a much different depiction than the Avengers where he:
-Gets his butt kicked by Loki and requires Iron man's help
-Gets pinned down by like a single guy with an SMG (again, requiring Iron man to save him)
-Loses his mask/helmet
-And the worst of all, gets blasted in the loving stomach (another irritating moment because apparently the Chitauri are fighting with energy weapons less effective than bullets). Compare it to TWS where he gets shot like 5 times, takes a beating from a super strong metal arm, falls in the Potomac and drowns for a bit, and is up and walking around by the end of the movie

I really hope Avengers 2 features more of the badass TWS Cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your Gay Uncle posted:

When Predators come to earth they tend to hunt groups of humans, not just stalk one prey. It seems to even up the odds a little considering in both of the Predator movies the Predators lost. Pacific Rim had a pretty decent rationale behind the alien invaders. Just send a bunch of monsters through a portal until they kill everything, leaving the home world and species untouched. Although their timing was a bit off, if they had just sent some Kaiju through around 1200 AD or so they could have mopped up humanity with just one. In fact they had a 65 million year window where they could have had their way with Earth. I hope who ever kept putting that off got fired.

During the movie they say it's actually the polluted atmosphere that attracted them to Earth in that particular era. So maybe by 1200 AD it wasn't polluted enough for them.

• Locked thread