Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

A friend that I turned on to the Shadow of the Torturer series is just starting the Long Sun series of books and had a question that I really had no answer for. He asked me if Gene Wolfe wrote the Short Sun series knowing in advance that it was actually being written by Horn after the the Whorl got to Blue and Green. I have no idea. I think I might just email Marc Aramini, seems like something he'd know.
I think he said in an interview that it wasn't until he wrote the first draft of Long Sun that he figured out who was writing it. My understanding of Wolfe's process is that he wrote an initial draft of all the books in set of two, three, or four, then revised each one and published it. So my thought has always been that he drafted all four books of Long Sun, then started revising them while also working on the first draft of Short Sun, so he put some Short Sun things into the revision like the child being bitten in the first book and the Quetzal scenes in the second and third books. You could remove those things entirely and the story wouldn't be impacted (except stuff towards the end of book four), they're just setup that's fun for us and very meaningful to Horn. It's also possible Wolfe adjusted the portrayal of Silk to fit in with the Short Sun conception of Long Sun as a distorted hagiography. I think Wolfe's papers got donated NIU and I often wonder if the earlier drafts are in there for things like New Sun, Long Sun, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Did Wolfe ever discuss The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In the off-chance you'd rather not read Book of the New Sun but also have trouble listening to audio performances that aren't chill-funk hip-hop adaptations, this guy's got you covered:

https://whyp.it/t/ressurection-and-death-complete-avmB8/

Given that it looks like it took a year between Chapter 1's initial posting and its completion it may be a while before the next track comes out, but I'm here for it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

In the off-chance you'd rather not read Book of the New Sun but also have trouble listening to audio performances that aren't chill-funk hip-hop adaptations, this guy's got you covered:

https://whyp.it/t/ressurection-and-death-complete-avmB8/

Given that it looks like it took a year between Chapter 1's initial posting and its completion it may be a while before the next track comes out, but I'm here for it.

there's doom metal and dungeon synth and ambient music (and filk lol) about New Sun and heck if I'm not glad to see more genres taking up the banner

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Its amazing how much classic literature I read and think of how Wolfe must have read and been inspired by it. Like I just finished "The Idiot" which had a bit about the guillotine and how the prisoner feels leading up to the execution that really seemed like it could have been something Severian would have talked about. Maybe its just that the performer (Jonathan Davis) is the same for both novels.

felicibusbrevis
Feb 1, 2011

Womyn Capote posted:

Its amazing how much classic literature I read and think of how Wolfe must have read and been inspired by it. Like I just finished "The Idiot" which had a bit about the guillotine and how the prisoner feels leading up to the execution that really seemed like it could have been something Severian would have talked about. Maybe its just that the performer (Jonathan Davis) is the same for both novels.

Wolfe read notes from the underground but not The Idiot. The long novels he was most familiar with were in English- shorter stuff in other languages, usually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyday I wish that Wolfe had just made a list of every work he's read and his thoughts on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Totally Huge posted:

I've read through BOTNS twice and Urth once (after the re-read). My first time was around 2010 or so and while I went in blind and missed a ton I loved every sentence. My second read through was probably 5 years ago. In between I read a lot about the books here and other places. I've never read any other Gene Wolfe. My problem is that when I start thinking about him it just makes me want to re-read BOTNS again because it's so good.

So if I want to read more Wolfe what should it be? I've been thinking about The Wizard Knight. Or should I just keep reading the same series every 5-7 years over and over and over?

personally i have a hard line where I love everything before it and everything after it leaves me cold, and it's roughly soldier of arete (1990). He just seems to spend of lot of his later books with characters explaining the plot to each other.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Are there any Wolfe stories that relate to Korea or Korean culture, other than the mention of "Kim Lee-Soong" in Claw?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FPyat posted:

Are there any Wolfe stories that relate to Korea or Korean culture, other than the mention of "Kim Lee-Soong" in Claw?

Letters Home technically counts?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

my bony fealty posted:

Letters Home technically counts?

I’d love to get a copy of that - I’ve had an AbeBooks alert set up but no luck thus far.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
So I'm almost at the end of book 2 of BOTS. I'm not really sure how to feel about it.

I enjoy piecing together parts of the world, it's history, it's culture, how it's structured socially, how things came to be the way they are over the vast magnitude of time. I enjoy Wolfe's writing. I enjoy the mash up of grand sci-fi and fantasy. Overall, it's a good time.

But I just have no idea if I am "doing this right", I guess? Every tangential misadventure, every chance encounter Severian has, seems like it holds some kind of vague significance to the entire plot, and I just have no clue what actually matters. Significant characters come and go, events go entirely unexplained, there seem to be at least like 3 or 4 prophecies and fore-tellings it's impossible to tell which are important, the main character frequently has major hallucinatory experiences... It has all become a bit muddled. Like Jonas reveals he's a Robot and disappears into space-time or something and I don't even remember Severian having a reaction. Was that important? Was it not important? Severian seems entirely indifferent. This is just one of several plot beats that seems like it is "major" to the reader, but Severian seems to pass over them with complete silence and indifference. Which has a disorienting effect on the reader, imo.

I'm enjoying the ride, and looking forward to books 3/4, which I have sitting on the shelf. I guess I just hope to start having some "ah-hahs" somewhere along this journey here. At this point there have been many more questions then answers. Which I guess I knew I was signing up for.

Edit: I will also say I feel like I am terrible at this juncture at identifying when Severian is being "unreliable" or outright lying. I have pledged to myself to be much more vigilant about criticizing his narrative, but at this moment I don't even know why he'd be lying or whose narrative he would be attempting to counter. I suppose this lens on the novel is going to develop after completion and upon a theoretical second reading.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 22, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i wish people didn't make so much hay of the "unreliable narrator" thing, it's less that and more that severian remembers everything but isn't very smart so he doesn't connect events that would provide more clarity

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's by far the least interesting thing to consider in the works.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

moonmazed posted:

i wish people didn't make so much hay of the "unreliable narrator" thing, it's less that and more that severian remembers everything but isn't very smart so he doesn't connect events that would provide more clarity

Well this is good to know! You can’t really encounter conversation about the book without hearing about the unreliable narrator component, so I definitely think it gets kind of played up to be some huge reveal or something

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the dude was raised in a torture spaceship with a bunch of old men and he thinks "animal husbandry" means marrying animals, he is very poorly socialized

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
His being an unreliable narrator is mostly him just trying to justify his monstrous behavior to himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Justify, not so much as paper over. His lies by omission are telling, but he's also got such a poor social understanding and understanding of the wider world that when author severian writes it down it seems he smooths out a bit of the frictious moments that he didn't realize were so when he was younger

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are also plenty of times where he straight up tells the truth and doesn't realize how bad it makes him look because again no social skills.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

moonmazed posted:

the dude was raised in a torture spaceship with a bunch of old men and he thinks "animal husbandry" means marrying animals, he is very poorly socialized

Woah spoiler tags please.

I didn’t think his behavior was that horrendous until the scene in the boat where he basically seems to rape Jolenta

Like cringe and misogynistic as gently caress but not fully despicable or evil

It’s likely I’m forgetting a thing or two however

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Severian is a land of contrast.

As for the disconnected feeling of the book, that's intentional. Keep thinking, but don't stress over it. Most importantly: keep reading.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bear Sleuth posted:

Keep thinking, but don't stress over it. Most importantly: keep reading.

This. Gene Wolfe really is the Dark Souls of reading in that his reputation for difficulty is over-hyped. Neil Gaiman is full of poo poo when he says Wolfe is "throwing knives" at his readers. Just roll with it.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
sorry, that stuff is early on nso i thought it was ok :shobon:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's not really clear that the tower is a repurposed rocket on the first read.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sev straight up calls the doors a bulkhead at one point

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

moonmazed posted:

sorry, that stuff is early on nso i thought it was ok :shobon:

Just playin with ya bud I don’t mind at all. It’s about the journey, not the destination!

But yeah the idea of interstellar travel really is only just being introduced into the book by the end of book 2 at least in my reading

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

When you’re getting hit over the head with obtuse language every page this is easy to overlook! I wouldn’t say it’s exactly hitting you in the face.

I appreciate this subtle hint by Wolfe though, very cool

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's not really clear that the tower is a repurposed rocket on the first read.

bonus points for deciphering the description of the old painting in the library as Buzz Aldrin on the moon

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

bonus points for deciphering the description of the old painting in the library as Buzz Aldrin on the moon

drat ok you guys are getting me hype gonna finish claw tonight let’s gooooo

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
there's also significant narrative parallel between the matachin tower and baldanders' castle

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

I think when I read it years ago I interpreted it as a salvaged boat (or chunks of one) because the start takes place so close to a big river and I think it read as if it was placed against the walls, like it just was just smashed up against a wall and left there. On reread the verticality became more apparent in a way that goes beyond floors of a cargo ship, but if you think "boat" it's possible to keep thinking that, particularly with the density of the text.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

Zachack posted:

I think when I read it years ago I interpreted it as a salvaged boat (or chunks of one) because the start takes place so close to a big river and I think it read as if it was placed against the walls, like it just was just smashed up against a wall and left there. On reread the verticality became more apparent in a way that goes beyond floors of a cargo ship, but if you think "boat" it's possible to keep thinking that, particularly with the density of the text.
Ship or boat is also used without much distinction between what we would think of as two very different purposes

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This. Gene Wolfe really is the Dark Souls of reading in that his reputation for difficulty is over-hyped. Neil Gaiman is full of poo poo when he says Wolfe is "throwing knives" at his readers. Just roll with it.

this. it's very easy to interpret the obtuseness as hostility but it's clear to me her desperately wants people to understand--the obfuscation is a result of wolfe being a deeply complicated, weird man trying to tell a deeply complicated, weird story about faith. i read his "translator's note" before starting shadow for the first time, and i think that should be the standard. it serves as a primer and mea culpa for the language used.

rather than harping on its difficulty i've found a better way to turn people onto BOTNS is to describe it as "if borges wrote a conan the barbarian novel". still inaccurate, but much more inviting

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I forget which book it's in but there's a page or two where Severian writes an aside on his historiographic and literary method that was like a giant neon sign from Wolfe telling the reader that he's fully aware of how varied his readership is. He knew full well that he needed to meet several different expectations simultaneously. In that sense, for all the layers of obscurantism in BOTNS I think Wolfe has a workmanlike quality where at the end of the day he's trying to please his audience.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Someone hasn't read An Evil Guest or Home Fires or The Land Across :haw:

I agree though, it's best to just read his stories as stories and not care about the "difficulty" because really they're just good stories. There are for sure some "puzzles" or certain interpretations you can take that can greatly enhance the work as a whole hello Book of the Short Sun but it's not necessary by any means to enjoy them. Gaiman's take is more annoying than anything else.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Other than Seven American Nights, what are his most memorable short stories that aren't halfway to novella length?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Forlesen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Forlesen.

That one
Hero as Werewolf
Doctor of Death Island

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was tremendously pleased by "How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion." It helps that it's cheerful. His novels that I've read left me with the feeling of a brick in my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Always been a fan of The Arimaspian Legacy/Slow Children at Play. Just like the imagery of solar griffins.