Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lex Talionis posted:

I just want to express the view that In Green's Jungles is just amazing and for me justifies a lot of the sloggy parts of later Long Sun and OBW. Unfortunately I didn't like the last book nearly as much but not in a way that invalidates what came before.
I don't really like Long Sun and I'm mixed on Short Sun, but weirdly In Green's Jungles is maybe my second favorite single volume Wolfe work after Peace and easily my favorite out of the Solar Cycle.

I think it's that it is, in part, basically harder into the "fantasy" part of science fantasy than any other part. The elevator pitch I've always used for the book is "A man who isn't a wizard tries to convince people he isn't a wizard and fails spectacularly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I also really like how little of Green you see, because Silk has never been there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I decided to start reading Book of the new sun after having Shadow and Claw on my bookshelf for a while now and I’m kicking myself for not having read this sooner. I’m not sure what it is but it’s dragged me in insanely fast. I keep reading how difficult it is but everything moves at a very fast understandable pace. The more obscure words I feel like I can pick up context clues and figure them out. I’m super excited to really dig into it more though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Rob posted:

I decided to start reading Book of the new sun after having Shadow and Claw on my bookshelf for a while now and I’m kicking myself for not having read this sooner. I’m not sure what it is but it’s dragged me in insanely fast. I keep reading how difficult it is but everything moves at a very fast understandable pace. The more obscure words I feel like I can pick up context clues and figure them out. I’m super excited to really dig into it more though.

That's because it's a really good book

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jesus Christ the last chapter of claw of the conciliator is loving weird. I don’t have the first clue what the gently caress happened. What am I missing here?

I mean, I understand that the seer from the lake of birds (who Severian doesn’t remember the name of because he’s a loving liar) and her familiar, the badger, Severian, Dorcas, and Jolenta conducted a kind of seance in which they used a super-intelligence living on a distant planet to peer back in time and contact an ancient sage called Apu-Panchau. And I guess the badger attacked this seer and Jolenta died. I understand nothing else about this chapter.

I guess that the badger must have wanted to harm Apu-Panchau. The badger works for Vodalus, who is a servant of the evil sea monsters (possibly on both conscious and subconscious levels), but is also being manipulated by the Autarch. So was this the bidding of the monsters or the Autarch?

All of this must have something to do with the “New Sun” (some kind of cataclysm that will fix the problem with the current Sun, which Dr. Talos’s play implies has a black hole or similar thing inside it), because the whole story is clearly about that. But is the idea to stop the New Sun or assist it? (I take the Autarch to be pro New Sun and the things in the ocean to be against it). Very unclear.

But Apu-Panchau is dead and has been for a long time. In this chapter the characters interact with him by somehow warping space time (which the seer tells us is eternal). But if time is eternal (i.e. unchanging and permanent) surely the past can’t actually CHANGE. So what was Vodalus/the badger hoping to accomplish? He clearly wasn’t just looking for information like he claimed.

I think I guess the Autarch and father Inire are somehow at the center of this. But my only real basis for that is that the seance reminds me a bit of what happened to Severian in the jungle garden in the first book, when he appears to interact with people from early twentieth century earth or some similar time or place. Plus the seer must be in league with the Autarch at least in part, since she seems to be associated with the witches, who are definitely the Autarch’s servants (like the torturers, their neighbors), she lives in the botanic gardens (maintained by the Autarch’s servants and created by Father Inire). I don’t share the badger’s belief that she (or it I guess) is playing both sides. Vodalus is pretty clearly some kind of unwitting spy or useful idiot of the Autarch’s because the Autarch is himself Vodalus’s “spy” in the house absolute, as we learned a few chapters ago.

So assaulting Apu-Panchau (or whatever badger did) must be somehow necessary to prepare the way for the new sun, and the Autarch has manipulated Vodalus and the Badger into doing it using bad information and the lizard-seer thing. That’s the best I can say now.

Am I even close?

This book is really good. I wish I had more time to read it.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 18, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ogmius815 posted:

But Apu-Panchau is dead and has been for a long time. In this chapter the characters interact with him by somehow warping space time (which the seer tells us is eternal). But if time is eternal (i.e. unchanging and permanent) surely the past can’t actually CHANGE.

To be honest I"m not good with all of the crazy details of BotNS but I don't think this point is correct. Think about Severian "nearly drowning" near the beginning, or "miraculously" surviving the avern duel. I think there's more to it later so I'm trying not to spoil things (and I might even be remembering them wrong anyways).

This also has implications regarding Apu-Panchau though I'm not sure if that becomes clear until Urth of the New Sun

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
You got the jist of it! I don’t have all the details in my head anymore and there isn’t much to expand upon other than to just suggest keep on reading!

I also just finished Short Sun earlier this week and I am glad to put that behind me. A lot of the fan-service part really hampered my enjoyment of the series and kind of retroactively made previous parts of the series worse through unnecessary explanations. I think the previous two series also tackle a lot of similar themes much better and present them in a more exciting and engaging structure. Horn is just an absolutely nothing of a character and there was no fun interplay like with Severian/Thecla or Marble/Rose. Horn’s side seems to only provide constant repetition of who his family is, his task and that he wrote a book about Silk. Silk’s denial of his situation just gets so tiresome over the course of three books; I think it worked best at the section with the war at Blanko.

I’m pretty negative on the Short Sun series as a whole but I’m still digesting it so I don’t have many fully formed thoughts yet.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Levitate posted:

To be honest I"m not good with all of the crazy details of BotNS but I don't think this point is correct. Think about Severian "nearly drowning" near the beginning, or "miraculously" surviving the avern duel. I think there's more to it later so I'm trying not to spoil things (and I might even be remembering them wrong anyways).

This also has implications regarding Apu-Panchau though I'm not sure if that becomes clear until Urth of the New Sun

I guess up to now I’ve assumed Severian did not drown, but was saved by an Undine after nearly drowning. The Undines (and, thus, Abaia) are aware of Severian’s importance (I guess because he becomes Autarch, but maybe for another reason I don’t know yet) because the undines are multi-dimensional beings that perceive time in a less linear way than humans do. Why the undines would want to save Severian’s life is a complete mystery to me. They sure seem eager to kill or abduct him later on.

I’ve also assumed Severian survived being pierced by the Avern because he was resurrected by the claw of the conciliator which I believe he had concealed on his person at the time.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 18, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think a lot of things are made more explicit in Urth and I'm probably remembering parts from that but I think interpreting time as not being changeable isn't quite right

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 18, 2023

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Old Swerdlow posted:

A lot of the fan-service part really hampered my enjoyment of the series and kind of retroactively made previous parts of the series worse through unnecessary explanations.
This is the one thing you've said that I completely agree with. Going back in time and meeting Severian was dumb as hell and added nothing to the story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mellonbread posted:

This is the one thing you've said that I completely agree with. Going back in time and meeting Severian was dumb as hell and added nothing to the story.

It is if The Whorl is Yesod.

Old Swerdlow posted:

You got the jist of it! I don’t have all the details in my head anymore and there isn’t much to expand upon other than to just suggest keep on reading!

I also just finished Short Sun earlier this week and I am glad to put that behind me. A lot of the fan-service part really hampered my enjoyment of the series and kind of retroactively made previous parts of the series worse through unnecessary explanations. I think the previous two series also tackle a lot of similar themes much better and present them in a more exciting and engaging structure. Horn is just an absolutely nothing of a character and there was no fun interplay like with Severian/Thecla or Marble/Rose. Horn’s side seems to only provide constant repetition of who his family is, his task and that he wrote a book about Silk. Silk’s denial of his situation just gets so tiresome over the course of three books; I think it worked best at the section with the war at Blanko.

I’m pretty negative on the Short Sun series as a whole but I’m still digesting it so I don’t have many fully formed thoughts yet.
Take the time, what You've said is very ill formed. Consider for one that Horn wrote about Silk as a guide to himself, and yet Silk wrote of Horn's journey because he could no longer live in suffering after Hyacinth passed.

you can't understand Silk without understanding Horn and vice versa. Consider who their fathers were, their relationship to the quest they've been given, their moral failings and successes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do keep posting :allears:

That was one of the first Wolfe books that really clicked with me, and I find it wildly sentimental.
It's definitely sentimental. Also maybe his saddest work, at least that I've read. It's an odd duck, it's protagonist has possibly the worst grasp on his world and his place in it of all Wolfean protagonists, the narrative is ethereal to the point of frustration and confusion at times; taking scenes from the "real" world into "Lara's" world within a sentence and then back out in the next and the gun fight at the end requires some real theatre of the mind and close reading to make sense of, and despite all that I think the actual intentions of the work are some of the most clear.

A sad lonely man who had a difficult relationship with his mother, no relationship with his father, no luck with women, and finds his existence actively painful and mundane is torn between three personalities. The Coach who has fully deluded himself in his old youthful paracosm and dreamed himself up a prize fighter, wife, and lawyer to manage, North who is his more radical politically and blames the world and politics for the person he is, latching on to half remembered political trivia to justify some quarter baked coup, and the main protagonist, a man looking for love so desperately he's even willing to die for it, but lacks the confidence to pursue it himself and when someone has a fling with him and then leaves it destroys him completely.

The two best scenes in the work are when he meet's Lora at the restaurant and she is being fully forthwith and honest with how they met, what kind of condition he's in, and why she can't see him anymore and he totally shuts down and regresses further and further into delusion until suddenly the whole scene shifts, her eyes become jade and her freckles appear and she no longer is the woman that he sat down with, instead she is the idealized mother-goddess-lover trifecta he dreamed about, Lara. It's a real gently caress yeah moment on the surface, our wily MC has finally managed to pin down the women he's searched two earth's for and found her, but on the deeper level it's profoundly sad as this woman realizes that she not only cannot help her former lover, but actively made things much much worse and flees the restaurant.

The scene in the boxing arena is the other, you really need to take your time and think through what is even happening. It's clear that his delusion of being a hero is really just him putting the gun in his mouth and either dying or being put into a coma where he doesn't need to face reality anymore, but the actions preceding it are fascinating. My best guess is he returns to the clinic with a gun, writes the note threatening to kill himself if Lora doesn't see him and then kills himself anyways while she watches in horror.

Really great, glad I actually picked it up after seeing it's lack of reputation int he Wolfe community and the terribleness of the back blurb. Some miscellania. I think Lara, and Lora and Laura are references to the Preminger film Laura, about a detective who falls in love with a women who is "dead" after hearing about her and seeing her portrait; good film, not great but good. I was thinking that surprisingly Disco Elysium is the closest thing to the novel I've read, but while that might be true in terms of plot, the way it's written actually reminds me a lot of Salinger. Perhaps a reason why I like it so much. What is the young police woman's role? I cannot figure out that, she works for Klamm who is an obvious Kafka reference. Should we take it that she is entirely delusional and unreachable just like Klamm is. He himself seems to be a combination of the character form the The Castle and Kissinger, that's my guess at least I'm not that well versed in that eras politics so perhaps there is some person as obvious as North it's supposed to represent.

I've also started Castleview which seems alright so far, I like the cozy contemporary vibes. And the weird mash up of knightly tales and ghostly horrors. Reminds me of Sorceror's House a bit.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 18, 2023

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I like There Are Doors but I don't think I could ever convince anyone else to read it. The best part is the atmosphere, and it's difficult to communicate that without just quoting large parts of the book verbatim. Plus the description on the softback makes it sound unappealing and communicates next to nothing about the actual contents.

Gaius Marius posted:

It is if The Whorl is Yesod.
I have yet to be convinced of the whole urth equals blue lune equals green yesod equals whorl deal. And to be honest even if it's true it doesn't change how I feel about it. That revelation could have been delivered any number of ways besides bringing back the protagonist from New Sun for a cameo.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

quote:

I have yet to be convinced of the whole urth equals blue lune equals green yesod equals whorl deal. And to be honest even if it's true it doesn't change how I feel about it. That revelation could have been delivered any number of ways besides bringing back the protagonist from New Sun for a cameo.

I found in my reading that is was fairly obvious Green is Urth; and I don’t mean it in a condescending way. The first point is that Gene is obviously going to subvert green = lune, Urth was flooded so = blue.; he loves to be a trickster and the Solar Cycle books have him constantly subvert our expectations. I viewed Blue as hell and Green as heaven (even if it suck there too!; but that’s just because the inhumu are a reflection of mankind) The more evidence based part is that Horn/Silk constantly compares the inhumu city to the red whorl city. Lastly, the Neighbors literally get Horn to recreate Sevarian’s New Sun arrival by having him trudge into the sewers and hack away at a giant mass of bodies to release a flood to clean everything up.

Sorry if this comes off as snarky or condescending, no ill will or anything of that intended!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Old Swerdlow posted:

I found in my reading that is was fairly obvious Green is Urth; and I don’t mean it in a condescending way. The first point is that Gene is obviously going to subvert green = lune, Urth was flooded so = blue.; he loves to be a trickster and the Solar Cycle books have him constantly subvert our expectations. I viewed Blue as hell and Green as heaven (even if it suck there too!; but that’s just because the inhumu are a reflection of mankind) The more evidence based part is that Horn/Silk constantly compares the inhumu city to the red whorl city. Lastly, the Neighbors literally get Horn to recreate Sevarian’s New Sun arrival by having him trudge into the sewers and hack away at a giant mass of bodies to release a flood to clean everything up.

Sorry if this comes off as snarky or condescending, no ill will or anything of that intended!
You're absolutely correct that there are obvious thematic parallels, but I don't consider that proof that they're literally the same location.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've mostly have no idea what's going on in Wolfe novels, 'cos I'm dumb (and a lazy reader): I'm just along for the ride. I don't know how you guys come up with all this stuff like: "Obviously Corrian's digressionary journey through the shifting city echos the arc in the previous book where that protagonist (who may or may not be related to Corrian) lost his powerful faith and wandered helplessly for a time. It also contains clear references to the parable of the Prodigal Son, in that yadda yadda yadda."

And I'm all: "The main dude just chopped that bad guy with his sword: cool! And now he's following a mysterious cloaked figure into a cave for some reason. Perhaps there's treasure in there!"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

It's why the Gene Wolfe:Dark Souls comparison is so apt.

Can you just read the books/play the games as a gloomy weirdo with a sword? yep

Is there substantial worldbuilding/storytelling in the understated details? probably

Is it some perfectly tuned clockwork piece of machinery where every question has an answer? probably not

Is there a hardcore subset of the fan base who are dedicated to canonizing as much of their fanfiction and speculation as possible? definitely

Speaking of, I just finished Nightside and Lake of the Long Sun. Quite different from BOTNS -- not so much of the prose and worldbuilding, feels much more like a "normal" pair of novels, though the latter is certainly getting more into the meat and potatoes. The plot of Nightside was surprisingly straightforward; Silk's gotta save the community center, and we're going to be with him for every fried green tomato-eating moment of it. It's almost disarming when we get to the "...and then Silk rolled a bunch of random events" portion of his adventure in Lake that kind of starts for Sevarian as soon as he's out of torture school.

The scifi-fantasy stuff so far isn't as interesting to me as it was in BOTNS; seems like Gene spends a long time describing how a gun shoots spinny needles, or a hover car hovers. Not quite as succinct and memorable as stuff like the avern or the wall of nessus. The bestiary is lacking compared to New Sun too, but that's a tough one to beat. The talking bird is fun at least. And I like Silk, who in spite of having what I'd consider an unrealistic level of devotion (and is sometimes treated as such), is so much more approachable as a character than Sevarian, who was always a dark little weirdo with a personality that's hard to extricate from the present moment, his future self writing, eating brains, his "memory", the "first Sevarian" stuff, etc. Also fun contrast in how Sev fucks every woman he meets, while Silk gets mad pussy laid at his feet and is nothing but mortified every time a girl so much as looks at him.

In short, I'm having a good time. I've heard the next two are on the slower end, so I'm thinking about putting them on audio and listening to the rest at work. Heard good things about Short Sun, looking forward to that one. After that, I'll probably dig into Gene's earlier catalogue; still haven't read Fifth Head, in spite of starting it 3-4 times.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mellonbread posted:

You're absolutely correct that there are obvious thematic parallels, but I don't consider that proof that they're literally the same location.

I swear there is a part in Urth where someone in Typhon's camp outright states that he built a fleet and sent it out to return and reconquer Urth as a backup plan, but I cannot find it with a simple text search, one of the few drawbacks of the baroque vocabulary used. Regardless It fits with his character the man is completely obsessed with his material form achieving immortality, in contrast to his clone Silk who desperately wants to end himself because the fragile emotional state he is in nearly constantly being torn between his duty and his feelings, not knowing if the gods he worships are real gods, or even worthy of respect, and finding that he can't tell how much of his life was of his own volition, based on his genetic disposition as the heir of Pas, or part of the Outsider's grander plan. Imagine falling totally and completely in love with a woman, someone you'd throw away every precept of your upbringing for, and at the back of your mind knowing that some/all of it must be because you were designed to fall for her because she is possessed by your Father/Genetic Twins favorite mistress. If we take Typhon and Silk and treat them as the same character, you can see that the reason Typhon acts as he does is a fear of being dominated himself leads him to dominate others, it is a response built out of fear, Silk himself cannot seem to walk his own path even when he tries and he himself is scared of the latent impulse to destroy and dominate that comes out in him when he is cornered or forced to act.

One of the greater themes in the whole of the Solar Cycle is that there is no distinction between Grand Events and Inconsequential Events, it's a series where time is malleable and traversable, entire universe cycles occur, and seemingly Godlike beings are a regular feature, and yet a man slipping a knife under a door, curing a diseased child, teaching a young pupil, or giving permission for an alien species to join the world are crucial events. Typhon tried to hijack religion of the Whorl, and shaped Silk as a perfect avatar of himself with the ability to be enlightened preprogrammed into his brain, Pas in turn is hijacked by the Outsider to bring the conclusion to the Whorl project implemented by Typhon and advance the grander cycle once again. For Wolfe evil always serves good in the end, and the ending of the Solar Cycle is the grandest statement of it. The Lucifer figure of Typhon is finally redeemed in Silk who is merged with Horn and has a fragment of the Neighbor in him, these finally balance Silk and allow him to live in the world instead of just outside of it, it fulfills Horns goal of becoming Silk like just as Silk becomes more like Horn, and it fulfills the final goal of the Neighbor who sends Horn's spirit back to the Whorl and revives the three of them inside Silk who's just slit his wrists in front of Hyacinth's grave. This new Hybradized Silk eventually encounters another Typhon in Blanko and proves his superiority, shows that the Inhumi are both only a threat to humanity because of human's own malice and hatred and also that they are no great threat if humanity works together instead of trying to kill each other using them, and then he leaves humanity to make it's own destiny on the planets instead of trying to lead them as God-King like Typhon did. He even symbolically reconciles with his daughter Scylla. Eventually the Whorl becomes Tzadikiel's Ship and then Yesod, it's mentioned that Tzadikiel's ship is the only ship in the galaxy, and Yesod is described as a ship a few times, it's Wolfe playing with us again forcing multiple versions of the same ship to occur simultaneously but giving us just enough hints to realize it. Silk eventually becomes Tzadikiel, cocoons are made of Silk and the first time we see Tzadikiel he is portrayed as a cosmic butterfly, we can then assume the Whorl is what eventually leads Silk to this form, and seeing him in the book is what really breaks the chain on Severian's mind and forces him to realize just how large the world really is and in turn allows him to reject Typhon and instead push forward unknowingly for the New Sun.

Like with the three alien wisemen, the meeting between Silk and Severian is not a once occurring thing. They are constantly meeting and parting under newer and unknown circumstances and forms. Like the Hieros and Humans, or the Humans and Inhumi they too are engaged in a mutual creation process with only some of the parts known to them. They are both at once each the father and son in the relationship. Severian causes the New Sun which leads to the eventual creation of the Green Men who become the Neighbors who transfer Horn to Silk and allow Silk to eventually leave to become Tzak who then guides Severian into bringing the New Sun and stopping Typhon from relaunching old humanities plan of conquest. Each follows each other in mythic terms, the clearing of the Inhumi city echoes the flood that creates Ushas but also the cleaning of the Vincula in Thrax and the clearing of the stable by Heracles during his labors, and of course of God flooding the Earth. The Inhumi city itself is the remains of Nessus and like Severian clearing the way for humanity to continue with the creation of Ushas, Horn's actions pave the way for the rebirth of a newer, better humanity on Green.

Man I gotta reread Long/Short. I feel like I'm forgetting a ton of poo poo.

regarding Seawrack

The two thing's with Seawrack are looking at how Horn and Nettle viewed Hyacinth. They, especially Horn, were totally devoted to Silk, considered him nearly godlike and Horn did his best to emulate him in speech and action but found himself struggling without Silk's direct guidance often. He also struggles when Sinew is born believing, childishly, that Nettle is now giving the love due to him to Sinew. His quest for Silk then is at once a way to regain his mentor, friend, and to escape a life that in his heart he doesn't truly want to live anymore. Now, when you look at how Hy is described she comes across remarkably poorly, vain, self centered and ultimately the one who Silk astray from his duties and from joining everyone on Blue. For Horn there must have been something unbearably seductive for Silk to have been "deceived" by her. For Horn Silk is flawless he doesn't truly understand the level of anguish or love that Silk feels. So when Horn gets a chance to escape his life, and a beautiful woman who seems to have the same semi hypnotic abilities that the gods of the Whorl have shows up. One of the worst things I've seen written is that Wolfe used Seawrack's singing to excuse for Horn to rape her, the truth is much worse. Horn wanted her to sing so he could emulate his hero Silk and be "forced" to break his vows( to the church for Silk and to Nettle for Horn), he wanted his own version of the moment captured in eternity of Silk and Hyacinth captured in the fountain of the brothel and instead created a twisted and disgusting mockery of it, one that he feels so sickened by he can barely acknowledge it, likewise Silk as Rajan also finds it disturbing. Because it's a mockery of his love for Hy, because he is forced to remember his pupil fall so far, and because in some way he feels responsible for it.

Note that he says Krait asked him to make Seawrack sing, only afterwards does he then has his intermission that he will no longer omit anything or lie, then reveals he implored her to sing for him. Horn wants to make excuses to himself, and Silk as Rajan wants to cover for his pupil and save Nettle the heartbreak. But if you go back to the first chapter that Horn meets her he is already conflating her with Kypris and Chenille and imagining his own life stuck in time like Silk and Hy in Ermines.

Blue is explicitly Hell to the colonists and it is so not because of the Inhumi but because of Man, even someone who is trying to live a moral life ends up committing atrocious acts and Horn is no exception, the only redemption he gets is his soul and memory tempering Silk. Horn regrets it, Silk finds it abominable, the only one who is apologetic is Seawrack herself who some take as Wolfe being misogynistic, but Seawrack has absolutely no where else to go, she's rejected being a siren and hates the idea of returning to Mother. Horn is the only person she can rely on to feed and transport her, and Horn is very aware of that and that he took advantage of the mercy he held her in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Appoda posted:

It's why the Gene Wolfe:Dark Souls comparison is so apt.

Can you just read the books/play the games as a gloomy weirdo with a sword? yep

Is there substantial worldbuilding/storytelling in the understated details? probably

Is it some perfectly tuned clockwork piece of machinery where every question has an answer? probably not

Is there a hardcore subset of the fan base who are dedicated to canonizing as much of their fanfiction and speculation as possible? definitely

Speaking of, I just finished Nightside and Lake of the Long Sun. Quite different from BOTNS -- not so much of the prose and worldbuilding, feels much more like a "normal" pair of novels, though the latter is certainly getting more into the meat and potatoes. The plot of Nightside was surprisingly straightforward; Silk's gotta save the community center, and we're going to be with him for every fried green tomato-eating moment of it. It's almost disarming when we get to the "...and then Silk rolled a bunch of random events" portion of his adventure in Lake that kind of starts for Sevarian as soon as he's out of torture school.

The scifi-fantasy stuff so far isn't as interesting to me as it was in BOTNS; seems like Gene spends a long time describing how a gun shoots spinny needles, or a hover car hovers. Not quite as succinct and memorable as stuff like the avern or the wall of nessus. The bestiary is lacking compared to New Sun too, but that's a tough one to beat. The talking bird is fun at least. And I like Silk, who in spite of having what I'd consider an unrealistic level of devotion (and is sometimes treated as such), is so much more approachable as a character than Sevarian, who was always a dark little weirdo with a personality that's hard to extricate from the present moment, his future self writing, eating brains, his "memory", the "first Sevarian" stuff, etc. Also fun contrast in how Sev fucks every woman he meets, while Silk gets mad pussy laid at his feet and is nothing but mortified every time a girl so much as looks at him.

In short, I'm having a good time. I've heard the next two are on the slower end, so I'm thinking about putting them on audio and listening to the rest at work. Heard good things about Short Sun, looking forward to that one. After that, I'll probably dig into Gene's earlier catalogue; still haven't read Fifth Head, in spite of starting it 3-4 times.

I don't know who said that the back half of Long is slow but they are out of their gourds. poo poo is popping off so quickly in the last book that it's nearly impossible to keep up with who is allied to who and who is where. It's like the French Revolution, WWII, and a Tsunami are all happening simultaneously and the writing and pace reflect that.

You'll be glad to hear Short brings back some of the weirdo xeno poo poo like the Nodules. Fifth Head is also important for slotting some thematic poo poo in the oeuvre together. Plus 2/3 of it are fantastic.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear there is a part in Urth where someone in Typhon's camp outright states that he built a fleet and sent it out to return and reconquer Urth as a backup plan, but I cannot find it with a simple text search, one of the few drawbacks of the baroque vocabulary used.
You may be thinking of Cyriaca's story about the ancient autarch (though they were not called autarchs then) and his plan if his empire should fail him, where he would retreat into a vault of stories that he had, in imitation of the ancients, been determined to cast aside. That's the only Typhon backup plan I can think of, though it's been a long time since I read Urth so he might have one there. The story of the ancient machines is my favorite part of New Sun and I've basically got it committed to memory.

It would be disingenuous of me to argue with you about the rest, because internal lore consistency was never really my problem to begin with.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've mostly have no idea what's going on in Wolfe novels, 'cos I'm dumb (and a lazy reader): I'm just along for the ride. I don't know how you guys come up with all this stuff like: "Obviously Corrian's digressionary journey through the shifting city echos the arc in the previous book where that protagonist (who may or may not be related to Corrian) lost his powerful faith and wandered helplessly for a time. It also contains clear references to the parable of the Prodigal Son, in that yadda yadda yadda."

And I'm all: "The main dude just chopped that bad guy with his sword: cool! And now he's following a mysterious cloaked figure into a cave for some reason. Perhaps there's treasure in there!"
I think this gets right to the heart of the matter. A mystery is worth solving if it's attached to a compelling narrative. I think when people say Short Sun (or Long Sun, or any book) has nothing going on, what they're really saying is they didn't think the juice is worth the squeeze. I liked Short Sun, but when Severian showed up and said "wow this is wacky, I'd better not tell anyone about this!" it didn't leave me with the urge to investigate further. The flashback sequences had their moments though, especially Scylla finding the corpse of her original body.

To Pistol Pete I will also say that Gene Wolfe's books are inspired by pulp stories he loved as a kid (vampires, werewolves, noir detectives, pirates, wizards, knights, science fantasy, post apocalypse) and I suspect a lot of stuff in his books is there because he thought it was cool, rather than for lore reasons. Obviously there's no way to prove it one way or the other, but it's good to keep in mind that sometimes fun things are there for fun.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear there is a part in Urth where someone in Typhon's camp outright states that he built a fleet and sent it out to return and reconquer Urth as a backup plan, but I cannot find it with a simple text search, one of the few drawbacks of the baroque vocabulary used. Regardless It fits with his character the man is completely obsessed with his material form achieving immortality, in contrast to his clone Silk who desperately wants to end himself because the fragile emotional state he is in nearly constantly being torn between his duty and his feelings, not knowing if the gods he worships are real gods, or even worthy of respect, and finding that he can't tell how much of his life was of his own volition, based on his genetic disposition as the heir of Pas, or part of the Outsider's grander plan. Imagine falling totally and completely in love with a woman, someone you'd throw away every precept of your upbringing for, and at the back of your mind knowing that some/all of it must be because you were designed to fall for her because she is possessed by your Father/Genetic Twins favorite mistress. If we take Typhon and Silk and treat them as the same character, you can see that the reason Typhon acts as he does is a fear of being dominated himself leads him to dominate others, it is a response built out of fear, Silk himself cannot seem to walk his own path even when he tries and he himself is scared of the latent impulse to destroy and dominate that comes out in him when he is cornered or forced to act.

One of the greater themes in the whole of the Solar Cycle is that there is no distinction between Grand Events and Inconsequential Events, it's a series where time is malleable and traversable, entire universe cycles occur, and seemingly Godlike beings are a regular feature, and yet a man slipping a knife under a door, curing a diseased child, teaching a young pupil, or giving permission for an alien species to join the world are crucial events. Typhon tried to hijack religion of the Whorl, and shaped Silk as a perfect avatar of himself with the ability to be enlightened preprogrammed into his brain, Pas in turn is hijacked by the Outsider to bring the conclusion to the Whorl project implemented by Typhon and advance the grander cycle once again. For Wolfe evil always serves good in the end, and the ending of the Solar Cycle is the grandest statement of it. The Lucifer figure of Typhon is finally redeemed in Silk who is merged with Horn and has a fragment of the Neighbor in him, these finally balance Silk and allow him to live in the world instead of just outside of it, it fulfills Horns goal of becoming Silk like just as Silk becomes more like Horn, and it fulfills the final goal of the Neighbor who sends Horn's spirit back to the Whorl and revives the three of them inside Silk who's just slit his wrists in front of Hyacinth's grave. This new Hybradized Silk eventually encounters another Typhon in Blanko and proves his superiority, shows that the Inhumi are both only a threat to humanity because of human's own malice and hatred and also that they are no great threat if humanity works together instead of trying to kill each other using them, and then he leaves humanity to make it's own destiny on the planets instead of trying to lead them as God-King like Typhon did. He even symbolically reconciles with his daughter Scylla. Eventually the Whorl becomes Tzadikiel's Ship and then Yesod, it's mentioned that Tzadikiel's ship is the only ship in the galaxy, and Yesod is described as a ship a few times, it's Wolfe playing with us again forcing multiple versions of the same ship to occur simultaneously but giving us just enough hints to realize it. Silk eventually becomes Tzadikiel, cocoons are made of Silk and the first time we see Tzadikiel he is portrayed as a cosmic butterfly, we can then assume the Whorl is what eventually leads Silk to this form, and seeing him in the book is what really breaks the chain on Severian's mind and forces him to realize just how large the world really is and in turn allows him to reject Typhon and instead push forward unknowingly for the New Sun.

Like with the three alien wisemen, the meeting between Silk and Severian is not a once occurring thing. They are constantly meeting and parting under newer and unknown circumstances and forms. Like the Hieros and Humans, or the Humans and Inhumi they too are engaged in a mutual creation process with only some of the parts known to them. They are both at once each the father and son in the relationship. Severian causes the New Sun which leads to the eventual creation of the Green Men who become the Neighbors who transfer Horn to Silk and allow Silk to eventually leave to become Tzak who then guides Severian into bringing the New Sun and stopping Typhon from relaunching old humanities plan of conquest. Each follows each other in mythic terms, the clearing of the Inhumi city echoes the flood that creates Ushas but also the cleaning of the Vincula in Thrax and the clearing of the stable by Heracles during his labors, and of course of God flooding the Earth. The Inhumi city itself is the remains of Nessus and like Severian clearing the way for humanity to continue with the creation of Ushas, Horn's actions pave the way for the rebirth of a newer, better humanity on Green.

Man I gotta reread Long/Short. I feel like I'm forgetting a ton of poo poo.

regarding Seawrack

The two thing's with Seawrack are looking at how Horn and Nettle viewed Hyacinth. They, especially Horn, were totally devoted to Silk, considered him nearly godlike and Horn did his best to emulate him in speech and action but found himself struggling without Silk's direct guidance often. He also struggles when Sinew is born believing, childishly, that Nettle is now giving the love due to him to Sinew. His quest for Silk then is at once a way to regain his mentor, friend, and to escape a life that in his heart he doesn't truly want to live anymore. Now, when you look at how Hy is described she comes across remarkably poorly, vain, self centered and ultimately the one who Silk astray from his duties and from joining everyone on Blue. For Horn there must have been something unbearably seductive for Silk to have been "deceived" by her. For Horn Silk is flawless he doesn't truly understand the level of anguish or love that Silk feels. So when Horn gets a chance to escape his life, and a beautiful woman who seems to have the same semi hypnotic abilities that the gods of the Whorl have shows up. One of the worst things I've seen written is that Wolfe used Seawrack's singing to excuse for Horn to rape her, the truth is much worse. Horn wanted her to sing so he could emulate his hero Silk and be "forced" to break his vows( to the church for Silk and to Nettle for Horn), he wanted his own version of the moment captured in eternity of Silk and Hyacinth captured in the fountain of the brothel and instead created a twisted and disgusting mockery of it, one that he feels so sickened by he can barely acknowledge it, likewise Silk as Rajan also finds it disturbing. Because it's a mockery of his love for Hy, because he is forced to remember his pupil fall so far, and because in some way he feels responsible for it.

Note that he says Krait asked him to make Seawrack sing, only afterwards does he then has his intermission that he will no longer omit anything or lie, then reveals he implored her to sing for him. Horn wants to make excuses to himself, and Silk as Rajan wants to cover for his pupil and save Nettle the heartbreak. But if you go back to the first chapter that Horn meets her he is already conflating her with Kypris and Chenille and imagining his own life stuck in time like Silk and Hy in Ermines.

Blue is explicitly Hell to the colonists and it is so not because of the Inhumi but because of Man, even someone who is trying to live a moral life ends up committing atrocious acts and Horn is no exception, the only redemption he gets is his soul and memory tempering Silk. Horn regrets it, Silk finds it abominable, the only one who is apologetic is Seawrack herself who some take as Wolfe being misogynistic, but Seawrack has absolutely no where else to go, she's rejected being a siren and hates the idea of returning to Mother. Horn is the only person she can rely on to feed and transport her, and Horn is very aware of that and that he took advantage of the mercy he held her in.

I like this post if for no other reason that it does tie everything together in plausible ways (though I can't really say much about the Short Sun analysis).

I just finished Long Sun last night and it didn't quite click with me that Silk was a clone of Pas until you mentioned it, even though right there at the end he has another theophany with Kypris which reveals his face as one of Pas'. Though which raises another questions in that I thought Silk was a clone of the previous Calde as it is hinted, so was the previous Calde also a Pas clone?
But also as I read that and the Defense at the end of the book it did click about Hy and how with Silk as the Pas standin, she would be the Echidna standin, and how that works with how she's portrayed in the books and Horn's comments on her at the end of the book. That said, what evidence is there of her being possessed by Echidna? I don't remember if there's anything explicit other than I guess when Silk first enters her chambers at Blood's mansion, he briefly sees colors in the glass.

I do really like your breakdown of the tensions within Silk though as it jives a lot with what I was trying to put together in my head of his feelings and actions. How all the rest of it ties together I can't really say if I get on with it or not as I need to read Short Sun again but again I think some of the stuff with Wolfe is that you can put it all together like that and make thematic sense of it, whether or not that is the true" intention

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know who said that the back half of Long is slow but they are out of their gourds. poo poo is popping off so quickly in the last book that it's nearly impossible to keep up with who is allied to who and who is where. It's like the French Revolution, WWII, and a Tsunami are all happening simultaneously and the writing and pace reflect that.

You'll be glad to hear Short brings back some of the weirdo xeno poo poo like the Nodules. Fifth Head is also important for slotting some thematic poo poo in the oeuvre together. Plus 2/3 of it are fantastic.

I think there are a lot of long discussions that take place in the back half but also a lot of stuff moves forward very quickly (and many times off screen). Up to the reader I think to decide if it feels like an "exposition dump" or if it's a method of exploring characters and their motives while slowing the pace of events before jerking forward again in actual events. Consider we learn at the end that this is an account written down by Horn and not an omnipresent narrator then some of the bouncing to different things and locations and parts being more filled out where Horn is present makes sense.

I think the first half of Long Sun has that self contained story feel and you're looking at the small actions that gradually build to the culmination of Silk being named Calde, while the second half takes on the bigger picture of not just the Whorl politics but the grander scheme as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Appoda posted:

And I like Silk, who in spite of having what I'd consider an unrealistic level of devotion (and is sometimes treated as such), is so much more approachable as a character than Sevarian, who was always a dark little weirdo with a personality that's hard to extricate from the present moment, his future self writing, eating brains, his "memory", the "first Sevarian" stuff, etc. Also fun contrast in how Sev fucks every woman he meets, while Silk gets mad pussy laid at his feet and is nothing but mortified every time a girl so much as looks at him.

I mean it's a pretty large plot element with how Silk struggles with his faith (and how it changes over time), what is demanded of Augers, and his own desires. He clearly wishes he could take action on many of the proposals that come his way yet cannot (at least for the fear of losing access to theophanies)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Silk being a clone of Pas is not something I ever considered, but it does give new context to a throwaway line from Sword of the Lictor.

In New Sun Typhon says he had his head transplanted onto a new body rather than just his brain because it was important that people recognize his face. I originally interpreted that as an inability to rekey retinal, facial and voice scanners that let him use lost technology. But if Silk is a clone of Typhon, and a guy with genetically engineered super-charisma as the characters in Long Sun suggest, then Typhon might have had genetic super-charisma powers that required him to keep his original face. Severian's description of his initial encounter with Typhon implies the guy was some kind of psychic, but it's not clear whether that's actually what's happening or his own interpretation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In the same dream that Silk is revealed definitely to be a Pas/Typhon clone you also learn that Hyacinth is possessed by Kypris, same with Chenille. That is why Silk conflates his mother's face, Kypris, Chenille and Hy.

Hy is also a Trivugante agent. Consider she is a high class escort whose clientèle includes the highest general in the Vironese army and she lives with a crime lord connected to the Ayuntamiento, she also immediately starts getting down with a Trivugante general when they arrive and is given an Azoth by Crane, another agent, to avoid her being captured or killed if discovered. When Silk is about to kill himself on the airship it is in part because after he made his final break from his duty to the church by marrying Hy, supposedly carving his own path for once, he gets a one two punch of sub consciously realizing this too was part of Pas's plan and that the woman he fell head over heels in love with may just be using him to gain information. Silk always wants to see the best in people, which also means he understands the worst and this creates a gulf that makes all of her actions suspect to him.

As an aside when the outsider speaks to him it has a male and female voice. a Mountain and a Dove. Doves are associated with Kypris and the Mountain is Mt.Typhon the symbol of Typhon's dominance of Urth and the stars. He never says it but the longer it goes on the more he comes to believe that even his enlightenment was engineered.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gaius Marius posted:

In the same dream that Silk is revealed definitely to be a Pas/Typhon clone you also learn that Hyacinth is possessed by Kypris, same with Chenille. That is why Silk conflates his mother's face, Kypris, Chenille and Hy.

oh hm, yeah I see. For some reason I thought I read what you said as her being possessed by Echidna. I guess we don't know a lot about Kypris but her being obsessed with Silk/Pas the way Hy is also makes sense. Her demeanour towards everyone else I suppose is less domineering in the way we are shown Echidna is supposed to be, and more shallow

quote:

Hy is also a Trivugante agent. Consider she is a high class escort whose clientèle includes the highest general in the Vironese army and she lives with a crime lord connected to the Ayuntamiento, she also immediately starts getting down with a Trivugante general when they arrive and is given an Azoth by Crane, another agent, to avoid her being captured or killed if discovered. When Silk is about to kill himself on the airship it is in part because after he made his final break from his duty to the church by marrying Hy, supposedly carving his own path for once, he gets a one two punch of sub consciously realizing this too was part of Pas's plan and that the woman he fell head over heels in love with may just be using him to gain information. Silk always wants to see the best in people, which also means he understands the worst and this creates a gulf that makes all of her actions suspect to him.

As an aside when the outsider speaks to him it has a male and female voice. a Mountain and a Dove. Doves are associated with Kypris and the Mountain is Mt.Typhon the symbol of Typhon's dominance of Urth and the stars. He never says it but the longer it goes on the more he comes to believe that even his enlightenment was engineered.

yeah he explicitly talks about seeing the worst of people and how horrible it is, not just in himself but in others, and how that led to his near suicide attempt. I feel like the Outsider is setup to be literal God but when you put it that way as well I guess it gets somewhat interesting in thinkign what the Outsider could be. What are your thoughts on that? Another construction of Typhon to carry out his plan one way or another "outside" the influence of the family feuds? AI of Mainframe carrying out Pas' plan?

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
I've never found anyone's grand unifying theories to be satisfying and don't have one of my own but here's a few things I think.

Long Sun:

• Silk is a genetically engineered embryo designed to have smarts, super-charisma, super-athleticism, and fast healing. This was done prior to leaving Urth so that when they reached the new colony, Pas would possess this body and rule. I don't think there's textual evidence but I assume Pas either told the old Autuarch to thaw out the zygote or else possessed him and literally did it so that Pas would literally lead the plan of Pas. But the whole thing goes hilariously wrong: Pas gets beat up by his wife and isn't around to take possession of the body, and meanwhile this born-to-rule Perfect Man becomes a priest, counter to what anyone wanted but in line with Wolfe's own views about what the best things in life are.
  • Hyacinth would be Kypris' choice to inhabit. She's probably not engineered like Silk but she's the fairest one of all so that's who Kypris picked. She's a manipulative, ambitious, and mostly unlikeable woman but that might actually be the sustained Kypris influence rather than Hyacinth herself. What kind of woman becomes Typhon's mistress? Silk and Hyacinth together don't make sense but Kypris sets all this up. Silk finds the goddess of love irresistible, but who wouldn't? Kypris might not love Silk so much as initially cultivate the body for her husband and then realize either that too much of Pas is gone or, maybe more likely, that Silk is a big improvement on her old husband and this is an opportunity for her to upgrade Pas into being a much better dude.
  • But what's really going on is that Wolfe has recreated in Silk and Hyacinth the love that Christ has for the Church. Humanity (Hyacinth) is objectively horrible and constantly unfaithful but Jesus (Silk) loves us in spite of this with a perfect love. Wolfe challenges us (via Horn's lack of comprehension of this) to accept this as a good thing rather than just Jesus being an idiot.

Short Sun:

• Sorry but I don't see how Green can be Lune, it's a major plot point that they draw close to each other every once and a while and this isn't at all how the Earth/Moon orbit works. The Whorl also seems nothing at all like Tzadkiel's ship on either the inside or the outside. And it would have been super easy for Silk at the end to take on some Tzadkiel characteristics if we are meant to make that association; this doesn't happen. And in any case I don't know how you get to Silk -> Zak -> Tzadkiel? Finally Tzadkiel is from a previous universe helping to bring Severian to his ordained spot; Silk meets the Severian of his own universe in what I agree seems like a dumb bit of fan service. Severian has to specifically take the time to explain to Silk, who doesn't care, why this won't be put into his autobiography that won't be written for a decade. Come on, Gene, this is just dumb.
  • Because Long Sun is actually just Horn making stuff up years later, I take it all to mean that Silk though broadly speaking a good guy was hardly the perfect saint we see (a saint wouldn't be suicidal for one thing; those moments are very jarring in Long Sun). The merged Silkhorn is basically a synthetic person formed out of Horn's hero worship, as if you trained an AI on the character of Silk from Horn's Long Sun. So the saintly Silk that Horn imagined, though fake, really does come to life. Like Jesus, Saint Silk isn't going to establish a kingdom on earth even though that's what his followers expect and want. Instead he delivers some doctrinal updates to Horn's Old Testament and peaces out.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I can't help but notice that the thread is becoming miles and miles of blacked out text, much like those miles and miles of tunnels in Long Sun.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lex Talionis posted:

Short Sun:

• Because Long Sun is actually just Horn making stuff up years later, I take it all to mean that Silk though broadly speaking a good guy was hardly the perfect saint we see (a saint wouldn't be suicidal for one thing; those moments are very jarring in Long Sun). The merged Silkhorn is basically a synthetic person formed out of Horn's hero worship, as if you trained an AI on the character of Silk from Horn's Long Sun. So the saintly Silk that Horn imagined, though fake, really does come to life. Like Jesus, Saint Silk isn't going to establish a kingdom on earth even though that's what his followers expect and want. Instead he delivers some doctrinal updates to Horn's Old Testament and peaces out.

I'm still tickled by the mutually-exclusive possibilities that either Horn got his wish to imitate Silk but was condemned to act out his perfect fictional Silk until that perfect Silk subsumed what remained of his spirit or that Silk actually was every bit the self-tormenting Good Man that Horn guessed he was, if not significantly moreso, and the story is a subversion of the "Don't meet your heroes" trope by showing that sometimes your heroes are actually better than you expected -- but as Hoof points out in the part he writes, an Actual Good Man is kind of loving terrifying to anyone who does not measure up to the same standards.

I also disagree with most of the sweeping unified theories of Long/Short Sun, and I think the basic core of the books is a meditation on what it means to actually be a good and righteous person in a fallen and deceptive world. Silk is a good man, but to be a good man in a bad world, to attempt to do the will of God and bring good from evil, is a tremendous burden that no sensible human being can possibly handle without their will breaking down.

I think in Long/Short Sun Wolfe accepts the idea common to Christian tradition and Catholicism specifically that the explanation for God permitting evil is that it's there for us to overcome... but reluctantly, and painfully. We can see this in the story Silk tells about the farmer who meets Pas after he dies and says he would have made the world better (to which Pas replies "Yes, that was what I wanted you to do"), and in Hound -- one of the most unambiguously good-coded characters in Short Sun outside of Silk himself -- saying that he and his wife ought to go to Green instead of Blue, because that's where they're needed. The whole thing with the inhumi having humanity's worst qualities only because humanity themselves display them and the Green Man in New Sun being a human being who does not rely on predation to live suggests the remote possibility of overcoming evil once and for all.

Yet I have to think that Wolfe, like Horn and Silk, sees this as a near-insurmountable task even for the very best of us. And the Outsider is not a God of love and comfort; Silk even has to rationalize that he can't expect the Outsider to actually help him in any way and then convince himself that he was receiving help despite the hellish near-death scenarios he faces constantly. That even Silk has to metaphorically strike a deal with the devil in commanding the loyalty of the inhumi at times to accomplish his ends casts a pessimistic view of the Outsider's intentions. Sort of like Wolfe is saying that yes, God brings good from evil, but the process is so painful and wearying that it almost doesn't seem worth it (and when will it ever really end?). It feels like Gene had this issue where he believed but did not understand, and God was to him very much like the Outsider: Inscrutable, hard to trust but impossible to truly doubt, so subtle it isn't clear whether he's doing anything (to say nothing of doing enough).

It's also in some sense a Typhon redemption story of a sort, exploring the idea that a man of his talents and charisma could be an agent of tremendous good even as he could be an agent of tremendous evil, merely by the circumstances of how he was raised, which again fits with the themes of God bringing good from evil. But was it worth having Typhon just to have Silk? Which has interesting theological implications and I don't know if Wolfe was quite wrestling with anything that complex, but the Solar Cycle is absolutely anything but orthodox or catholic/Catholic in its theological suggestions; portraying a Christ figure as an executioner is pretty loving wild.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lex Talionis posted:

I've never found anyone's grand unifying theories to be satisfying and don't have one of my own but here's a few things I think.

Long Sun:

• Silk is a genetically engineered embryo designed to have smarts, super-charisma, super-athleticism, and fast healing. This was done prior to leaving Urth so that when they reached the new colony, Pas would possess this body and rule. I don't think there's textual evidence but I assume Pas either told the old Autuarch to thaw out the zygote or else possessed him and literally did it so that Pas would literally lead the plan of Pas. But the whole thing goes hilariously wrong: Pas gets beat up by his wife and isn't around to take possession of the body, and meanwhile this born-to-rule Perfect Man becomes a priest, counter to what anyone wanted but in line with Wolfe's own views about what the best things in life are.
  • Hyacinth would be Kypris' choice to inhabit. She's probably not engineered like Silk but she's the fairest one of all so that's who Kypris picked. She's a manipulative, ambitious, and mostly unlikeable woman but that might actually be the sustained Kypris influence rather than Hyacinth herself. What kind of woman becomes Typhon's mistress? Silk and Hyacinth together don't make sense but Kypris sets all this up. Silk finds the goddess of love irresistible, but who wouldn't? Kypris might not love Silk so much as initially cultivate the body for her husband and then realize either that too much of Pas is gone or, maybe more likely, that Silk is a big improvement on her old husband and this is an opportunity for her to upgrade Pas into being a much better dude.
  • But what's really going on is that Wolfe has recreated in Silk and Hyacinth the love that Christ has for the Church. Humanity (Hyacinth) is objectively horrible and constantly unfaithful but Jesus (Silk) loves us in spite of this with a perfect love. Wolfe challenges us (via Horn's lack of comprehension of this) to accept this as a good thing rather than just Jesus being an idiot.

Short Sun:

• Sorry but I don't see how Green can be Lune, it's a major plot point that they draw close to each other every once and a while and this isn't at all how the Earth/Moon orbit works. The Whorl also seems nothing at all like Tzadkiel's ship on either the inside or the outside. And it would have been super easy for Silk at the end to take on some Tzadkiel characteristics if we are meant to make that association; this doesn't happen. And in any case I don't know how you get to Silk -> Zak -> Tzadkiel? Finally Tzadkiel is from a previous universe helping to bring Severian to his ordained spot; Silk meets the Severian of his own universe in what I agree seems like a dumb bit of fan service. Severian has to specifically take the time to explain to Silk, who doesn't care, why this won't be put into his autobiography that won't be written for a decade. Come on, Gene, this is just dumb.

Your analysis has some major flaws. it denies Silk's heroism by attributing all of the saintliness to Horns hero worship but accepts without question the denigration of Hy.

Consider Hy gets it the worst but Horn also does this to Auk and even Oreb at the start, Horn sees in Silk both a model to follow but also a father. Ironic that he would end up having the same sort of relationship with his son, one where the Father/Son connection is frayed. Regardless he consciously or not rejects anyone who gets close to Silk in a non Church context, and nobody is more close to Silk than his Wife.

Reading closely, we can tell much of her negative characteristics are far less condemnable than what Horn would have us believe. I don't think Wolfe would have us truly believe Hyacinth is some horrible whore who tricked and deceived Silk.

Also saying a saint wouldn't be suicidal, bro you should read up on the saints.

Green isn't Lune, it's Urth/Ushas Blue is Verthandi/Mars. Something happened to the orbits after the New Sun came but we can be reasonably sure of this. Echidna is the mother of monsters and on Blue we meet The Mother a giant Megatherian that is some form of Echidna herself the wife of Typhon. Typhons birthplace is Blue/Mars
Tale of Spring Wind in New Sun.

I gotta go but if you guys wanna really start understanding the Long/Short New Sun connection just realize New Sun is the New Testament and Short Long the Old Testament

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The Shelved by Genre podcast just finished up their dive into the New Sun series with their most recent episode on Urth!

http://rangedtouch.com/2023/12/22/the-urth-of-the-new-sun/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Listening to Urth being described in one sentence summaries is hilarious and makes it seem even more unhinged than it is. I had the same effect once when I tried to describe The Stars My Destination to someone in person and ended up sounding like a raving lunatic.

Cameron not like the parts on the ship is wild, I thought for sure the back half is what would sour them.

Edit: Cameron's misreading of how Wolfe views personhood is one of the most egregious mistakes I've ever heard in analysis of Wolfe's work. Dude has a serious problem of talking with authority on poo poo he completely fails to grasp.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 22, 2023

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Dude has a serious problem of talking with authority on poo poo he completely fails to grasp.
Glad nobody here does that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mellonbread posted:

Glad nobody here does that.

Wolfe stories encourage this and that's part of why he is so great. The texts are deep and broad enough where you can find justification for a whole lot of ideas and interpretations, and damned if you aren't sure you are right.

I have no idea why but for some reason Fifth Head is a Christmas story to me, moreso than the actual Christmas stories he wrote, so I'll be rereading that for the nth time soon.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

I have no idea why but for some reason Fifth Head is a Christmas story to me, moreso than the actual Christmas stories he wrote, so I'll be rereading that for the nth time soon.
The two Christmas stories I remember were real downers. There's the one where the toys have to fight to avoid being incinerated, and the one where the living house holds a Christmas party for the kid while his parents are dead in the freezer then the house burns down and I think he gets molested by a guy in a Santa outfit.

I did enjoy the New Years story in Book of Days. It has one of my favorite endings, up there with Interlibrary Loan.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mellonbread posted:

The two Christmas stories I remember were real downers. There's the one where the toys have to fight to avoid being incinerated, and the one where the living house holds a Christmas party for the kid while his parents are dead in the freezer then the house burns down and I think he gets molested by a guy in a Santa outfit.

La Bafana is really comfy.

my bony fealty posted:

I think it's the first story. The memories of Christmas from childhood in my opinion contain a lot of very excited waiting and confinement. You feel like something is going to happen very soon, but you usually can't leave your house and can't speed up events. The two young kids being stuck in a house, with exciting stuff going on around them they can't quite understand, and feeling like something is coming soon but they have to wait evokes that.

Levitate posted:

I feel like the Outsider is setup to be literal God but when you put it that way as well I guess it gets somewhat interesting in thinkign what the Outsider could be. What are your thoughts on that? Another construction of Typhon to carry out his plan one way or another "outside" the influence of the family feuds? AI of Mainframe carrying out Pas' plan?

I think the answer is actually pretty simple. It's a pre programmed routine built into Silk's embryo as a failsafe to get the Whorl to start the deloading procedure in case something happened to Pas. It just so happens that it also serves the purpose that capital G God needs Silk to accomplish.

We can think of his quest on three levels. Silk hears that he needs to save his Manteion and believes it to be the church he works in, Pas means it to be the entire Whorl delivering it to it's final destination and restarting his rule, and God/Outsider means it to be humanity, to reconcile them with what they became and what they will become.

Wolfe is consistent with orthodox Christianity that evil must in the end serve good, and no case could be more clear than the despotic epitome of what is wrong with earth instead having his plan hijacked and turned into one of salvation in the process redeeming him and his family.

mellonbread posted:

Silk being a clone of Pas is not something I ever considered, but it does give new context to a throwaway line from Sword of the Lictor.

In New Sun Typhon says he had his head transplanted onto a new body rather than just his brain because it was important that people recognize his face. I originally interpreted that as an inability to rekey retinal, facial and voice scanners that let him use lost technology. But if Silk is a clone of Typhon, and a guy with genetically engineered super-charisma as the characters in Long Sun suggest, then Typhon might have had genetic super-charisma powers that required him to keep his original face. Severian's description of his initial encounter with Typhon implies the guy was some kind of psychic, but it's not clear whether that's actually what's happening or his own interpretation.
I think he was just a vain prick. Severian uses the words of the previous Autarch without having the same vocal cords. But Valeria is unable to use them without the knowledge Sev has an leads to much of the house absolute being abandoned by the time Urth rolls around.

mellonbread posted:

You may be thinking of Cyriaca's story about the ancient autarch (though they were not called autarchs then) and his plan if his empire should fail him, where he would retreat into a vault of stories that he had, in imitation of the ancients, been determined to cast aside. That's the only Typhon backup plan I can think of, though it's been a long time since I read Urth so he might have one there. The story of the ancient machines is my favorite part of New Sun and I've basically got it committed to memory.
Took me forever to find but it's Herena in Urth. After Severian heals her arm she is grateful but also fearful because she knows she is going to be taken by the Monarch/Typhon. He was gathering subjects for his little
space project.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finished Tracking Song. Three notes 1) While being its own thing, it does feel a lot like a creative prototype of TBOTNS. 2) I liked it because it felt more tender and humane and hopeful than what I've read before, which were dominated by senses of decline and people meeting ugly, lonely fates. 3) I kept noticing what seemed to be possible allusions to animal-people coming back from the dead?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Nearly done with my first read through of BOTNS. I’m ready for more. Is it recommended to progress to Urth of the New Sun next, or proceed to Book of the Long Sun?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i personally think urth is p skippable but that's not, shall we say, orthodox

i'd probably read it directly after the other severian books

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i personally think urth is p skippable but that's not, shall we say, orthodox

I haven't read Long Sun but I agree that Urth is skippable, it didn't do anything for me like BotNS did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hobbez posted:

Nearly done with my first read through of BOTNS. I’m ready for more. Is it recommended to progress to Urth of the New Sun next, or proceed to Book of the Long Sun?

Rereading the tetralogy then Urth then long/short then consulting the analysis and discourse is the best way to understand the whole of the work for yourself without being led down any strange paths.

You can skip the rereading but skipping Urth is silly. One problem with the Wolfe community is the members falling so in love with their own pet theories and ideas that they start lashing out at anything that doesn't immediately confirm their bias or line up the way they want, this is the biggest reason for the quote unquote backlash against Urth. You could've actually seen this in real time with that podcast covering Wolfe a couple months back.

At any rate after Short your going to start the whole series again anyways