Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i finished citadel of the autarch yesterday and have already started my reread of shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
a lot is made of how reactionary wolfe is, but it's hard to read a lot of his most despicable characters as anything but ravenous capitalists and objectivists

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This. Gene Wolfe really is the Dark Souls of reading in that his reputation for difficulty is over-hyped. Neil Gaiman is full of poo poo when he says Wolfe is "throwing knives" at his readers. Just roll with it.

this. it's very easy to interpret the obtuseness as hostility but it's clear to me her desperately wants people to understand--the obfuscation is a result of wolfe being a deeply complicated, weird man trying to tell a deeply complicated, weird story about faith. i read his "translator's note" before starting shadow for the first time, and i think that should be the standard. it serves as a primer and mea culpa for the language used.

rather than harping on its difficulty i've found a better way to turn people onto BOTNS is to describe it as "if borges wrote a conan the barbarian novel". still inaccurate, but much more inviting

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
it's a shame the doctor of death island is kind of a weak story in comparison because the doctor/death/island triptych is otherwise perfect