Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Popular Human posted:

Really? Huh, I always got the impression it was the other way around.

specifically, he dies out in space at the beginning of Urth and it doesn't seem like there's any Heirodules around to bring him back.

On the other hand, they and Tzadkiel are both on the ship. I seem to remember it as always being his own virtue, though. It's been too long since I've read these. I know what I'm reading next.

quote:

edit: also, there's a blurb and cover up for Wolfe's new novel, The Land Across: http://www.risingshadow.net/library?action=book&book_id=37243

Looks like a reply/tribute to Algis Budrys, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Popular Human posted:

Which Budrys, if I may ask? I'd like to read whatever TLA is riffing off of beforehand.

The book I'm thinking of is Who?, a Cold War thriller about a scientist who's so heavily rebuilt (after an accident) by the other side that his own side don't know who he is any more, and he can't prove it. This is going off a two-line blurb, so take it with a pinch of salt...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Play posted:

Is there anyone who has read Soldier of the Mist in this thread? I am almost done with it and, having thoroughly enjoyed it, I would be interested in hearing what anyone else felt about it and if there are any overarching theories about the book that I might find interesting. For me, I made it through one and a half books of the Severian stuff but couldn't go any further, it was just too much. By contract, although Soldier of the Mist is quite whimsical and employs Wolfe's very unique narrative style, it was much easier to take in due the relative simplicity of the setting. I absolutely loved the way names of places and people and gods are used in this book, made it a really fun puzzle but also helped to draw you into the setting.

I found it perplexing, though I could be confusing it with the second book. More confusing, I think, than New Sun. Still wonderful bits like Latro proving that the sun orbits Earth, or something similar; his character is both sympathetic to moderns and believably ancient.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's an interesting essay on Wolfe by Kim Stanley Robinson here. There's a minor spoiler for Fifth Head and a major one for Peace.

Popular Human posted:

So Lightspeed has a reprinting of "Suzanne Delage" as its lead fantasy story this month: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/suzanne-delage/

I think I once typed out a long theory about this story to the thread and then lost it... anyway: if the idea that everyone has had an extraordinary experience that they've forced themselves to forget is true, the obvious suspect is that the narrator danced with Suzanne Delage when they were at school:

quote:

She would have attended many of the same dances I did, and it is even possible that I danced with her — but I do not really believe that, and if, indeed, it happened, the years have so effectively sponged the event from my mind that no slightest trace remains.

What this doesn't explain is why there are no identifiable photos of her left in the yearbooks, and why someone took them out.

The second thing I noticed is that the narrator seems to be gay by the beginning of the story:

quote:

I have twice been married, but both marriages were brief, and both ended in friendly separations; the truth is that my wives (both of them) bored me—and I am very much afraid I bored them as well.

And he does sound as if he's had a boring life. But when he sees Miss Delage, "the very image of her mother at that age", he's sounds disturbingly aroused. So he's only, apparently, attracted to women like the Delages. Like his mother, in fact:

quote:

Together they scoured the countryside for more, and made trips (trips so exhausting that I was, as a boy, always surprised to see how very willing, in a few weeks, my mother was to go again) to view the riches of neighboring counties—and even, once or twice, by rail, of neighboring states.

Maybe it's sexual in his mother's case and maybe not, but it's a very close relationship - one that only the widow comes between. As far as answers go, I was leaning towards an idea that all the Delages are the same person hiding her age, and perhaps a vampire; but the way they behave seems to be so normal that it'd be tricky to keep up. I mention a vampire because of theis erotic connotations, and the way Mrs Delage and Suzanne could be "feeding" off the narrator's and his mother's lives. A family of vampires? (E: Nope.)

There were a few things I noticed, though. Firstly, the women in the past, who made the antique fabrics, are all defined by their relationship to men, but the women in the present are important in their own right or by relations with women. Notice that neither the narrator's father nor a Mr Delage turns up. Secondly, the narrator's a pisspoor judge of what's extraordinary and also notes that he thought everyone at school was in a clique; he's not very observant. Third, the end of the story occurs before the rest of it - so if the narrator's forgotten something extraordinary because it has no relationship to the rest of his life, it's because hes met Delage Jr. again. Lastly, when he does describe her, he mentions that:

quote:

her hair was of a lustrous black, and her complexion as pure as milk;

which reminds me of Snow White. So is Mrs Delage the evil stepmother? The widow?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Well if William Gaddis can write a doorstop about the amount of legislation in the US, Wolfe can make some snide remarks about it too. There's a satire on reality TV in one of his recent collections too; something about a man being hunted and he gets the big reward if he survives long enough, I think.

And there's an excerpt from the book on Tor.com. It's, well, it's a Gene Wolfe novel all right. Trees, conspiracies, bureaucracy, hidden treasure, surrealism, self-conscious narration... it's a bit like There Are Doors.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Well perhaps Free Live Free would be as accurate? It has a better setup than "find your girlfriend" anyway, though it's only the first two chapters.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

One of Wolfe's lesser known works:

According to eBay anyway.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm glad I found this thread; I've read a few Gene Wolfe books recently, but don't really have anybody to talk about them with.

I read "Free Live Free" not so long ago, and once I got to the end, felt like re-reading it right away. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing; I got the point of what happens to the four main characters, how they are given what they truly want, but it turns out to be (mostly) non-satisfying, and so at the end they get what they want after - a chance for a do-over. It's just that I didn't really get the wanna-be film noir detective and the horny novelty salesman until after they get what they want; they were opaque to me as characters, and I want to see if the whole thing becomes clearer now that I have this insight.

Any thoughts on the ending? I remember being quite puzzled by it.

quote:

Also: I finished book of the Long Sun recently. Quick question: is the link between the long sun and new sun the fact that *Typhon*, stand-in for Satan, is who constructed the Whorl in the first place? If so, having the tempter of Christ Severian as the author of your world certainly does explain a few things.

I think this is explicit, but just in case yes, Typhon buit the Whorl when the Old Sun suddenly faded, which he mentions in Sword. Why the gods are him and his family... I dunno. Also it's pretty clear that Severian is not Christ.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Levitate posted:

iirc the gods are him and his family because he basically uploaded their consciousness into the spaceship and gave them admin access. It also sounds like he was kind of big on being worshipped as a god back in the book of the new sun

Yeah, but the question is why, because that's pretty pathetic, isn't it? I'm thinking of Tolkien's comment that Sauron was trying to take over Middle-earth because he was too spiritually stunted to imagine anyone wanting to do anything else.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I apologize if that does not make much sense. It's been a while, and I just donated blood (now there is an excuse--)

It certainly is. What puzzled me was the very last scene where they all get together and the fortune-teller says the group that will change America is now complete. That pretty much came out of nowhere for me.

Bear Sleuth posted:

Severian is certainly Christ-like.

Not really. Although he has some Christ-like aspects his relationship with the figure of Christ is more complex than that. Sometimes he seems like a parody, especially earlier on when he's less moral. Although he does bring the New Sun in the end, any of the Autarchs were able to choose to take the test, the winning condition is just "having a high chance of bringing the New Sun", I think, it's not the end of the world but a new chance for the survivors (and presumably kills indiscriminately), and the gods of the new world are Severian and his court, not the god of the Commonwealth. I think. The Urth of the New Sun was pretty confusing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

More specifically, humans are named after saints, aliens are not.

Not quite! You forgot Loyal to the Group of Seventeen. And didn't Baldanders begin as a human? Also (UotNS, I think) all the robots are called "Steel" or "Iron" in different languages.

I seem to recall hearing about a heretic named Severian - perhaps an early bishop - too. But then there are probably heretics called Paul or Stan, too.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Several people have told me that this book "transcends genre fiction and becomes literature with a capital L," or essentially something to that affect. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is thoroughly a piece of genre fiction and could not exist without the context that it is a scifi/fantasy story(which by the way is cool that wolfe fully embraces the whole any technology far enough advance seems to be magic to those who do not understand it btw). It is not to say that it is not well written, and that it is not literature. It is the thought that purely due to the fact that it is a piece of scifi/fantasy that it has a mark against it that I disagree with. The genre fiction ghetto is a real thing that exists not because works within are inherently poor due to being genre but rather that because those who write inside of genre work hard to detach themselves from the greater context of literature to create small ponds from which they hope to be big fish (evidence of which for the scifi/fantasy ghetto being the nebula award, the sfwa, and more) thus atrophying standards that allow books that would otherwise be eaten by the bigger fish of the world, say the nabokov or the pynchons (who is himself, especially with bleeding edge, a genre writer) and so to make it stand tall where they would otherwise not. To disconnect wolfe is a mistake and makes it seem better than it is placing it on a pedestal that does not and should not exist. So far it is a good book, maybe I will change my views completely by the end of it.

Well when people say stuff transcends its genre they either mean it's good, or they're trying not to admit liking genre trash. Not quite sure what the rest of your points are; today, yes, sf is a bit more of a self-imposed ghetto than 50 years ago, but I also think it's good that it's self-aware and engaging with itself. And stuff like the Nebulas isn't evidence of a ghetto. Why do you call Pynchon a genre writer, and why's it a mistake to disconnect Wolfe from literature in general? I don't think that just using fantastic elements is enough to qualify as genre.

Incidentally I think the second book is the worst. btw if you enjoyed the calling an alien horse a horse stuff you might like Paul Park, who goes so far with this idea that he invents a culture of people without names so he doesn't have to give them made up fantasy names.

quote:

Also noticed the naming conventions that are used. I have not read this thread and so do not know if it has been brought up. So far it seems that those who are close (in an emotional sense) to severian have name of saints or religous figures from judeao-christian/muslim teachings. Those who are not but are important characters in their own right have names coming from mythology.

Wolfe says that everything is named for what it is: the humans have human names, the monsters have names of monsters, etc. Wolfe's into mythology and history.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Rime posted:

Too much prose wasted on inane details? Main character is insufferable and preachingly idealistic? I dunno, I'm fighting through it, but it barely feels like the same author as the New Sun sometimes.

I liked Silk as a character. There's a bit in Short Sun where someone explains his deal - that he's so good it's scary to those of us who are less good - which I totally agree with, but having it stated so baldly killed my interest. Sure the basic idea of the series was to write a good man in a bad religion, but that doesn't mean it's preachy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Space-Bird posted:

So I realize this is a year old, but I Thought it was pretty neat. Sorry if it's an old post.

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2014/12/art/gorgeous-covers-jian-guo-book-of-the-new-sun/

Those are cool, and what's especially neat is that the covers for Shadow and Claw are references to the original hardback cover illos.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Don't feel silly for taking Wolfe's bait, he makes the best traps around. Also, what was confusing about the Baudolino reference, I haven't read that.

Ornamented Death posted:

This sounds so straightforward but is incredibly important to remember for one reason that Slaughterhouse-Ive has touched on: unlike essentially every other writer, Wolfe does not try to give Severian a heart of gold and have him fight against the organization that raised him. Dude is a torturer and he's going to torture some people.

Spoilers up to Citadel and maybe Urth: Severian may not have a heart of gold, but he does gradually abandon and betray the guild, gains the self-awareness to realise how terrible he is, and eventually shuts the guild down, IIRC. That's what he's like at the beginning, but not the end.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I read an article about the Book of the New Sun (I can't remember where I read it) where Gene Wolfe (or maybe Michael Andre-Drussi) points out that even though Jesus Christ is a carpenter, the Bible only depicts him using his creative skill once, to make a scourge. I'm not biblically inclined, so I haven't read through the new testament to check the accuracy of the statement, but if it is true then I think that adds a very interesting dimension to Severian. Who I think we can all recognize as a messianic figure, even if Wolfe denies it at times.

That's in one of the essays in The Castle of the Otter. I can't remember if it's the only thing He makes, but it's in John 2:15. Wolfe also points out that a crucifix is made by a carpenter.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's also important to remember that it's entirely plausible that Severian never had sexual relations with any of these women.

Plausible, but not (imo) interesting or likely. (Edit 2: I just had a shower and realised I was reading this as "Severian never scored", whereas you meant it as "Severian lied about loving someone at least once", which is yeah very likely, though I'm not sure who he lied about. Semi-relatedly, Dorcas is a Jocasta figure, goes nicely with lame Severian; Oedipus means "clubfoot", from when he was abandoned at birth.

Chichevache posted:

That is true! Every other autarch is a castrato. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say Severian is as well and has too much pride to admit it.

Urth spoilers: This is only true of the previous one (and the first); it's a result of failing to bring the New Sun, to prevent a failure from establishing a dynasty. This isn't true of Severian, so there's no reason to assume Little Severian isn't in full working order. On the other hand, he never mentions kids, either. Also, that's not what castrato means :colbert: Interesting stuff about Arthuriana though.

E: Gotta get round to that New Sun reread.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Terminus Est broke. :colbert:

:flaccid: But what does it mean for your theory that Terminus Est is female!?

quote:

Can you elaborate on Dorcas as Jocasta? Obviously there is the incestuous relationship, but I don't see any other obvious connections. She's got youth and beauty that a woman her age shouldn't have, like Jocasta, but otherwise I'm not seeing it.

Sure, but this was just an idle thought. I was only thinking of the incest when I described her as Jocasta; really it's more that Severian is Oedipal. Oedipus' lameness ties into Severian's, they were both abandoned while very young, both had prophecies concerning them (I think Severian's are the self-fulfilling variety too?), both bring destruction to their communities... It's pretty weak stuff, but maybe someone else can think of something :shrug:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Consider Silk, a much more reluctant and self-aware sort of messiah who nonetheless seizes power when he deems it necessary. Silk is a pretty good guy - but he associates with thieves, murderers and rebels; and he brings the inevitable change with all the horrors of revolution and war done in his name.

Like Jesus, then? Sure, Jesus was not a military Messiah like Cyrus or Judas Maccabeus, but He still came to bring a sword to the world.

Chichevache posted:

About as much as arguing whether or not Severian is now Trans since Thecla lives inside him. :can:

Are you referring to the pommel as female, or did Severian feminize his sword? I don't remember.

OK, I was kind of shitposting about Terminus Est before, but now I'm for real: I referred to her as female because Severian always refers to her as feminine. So does Palaemon before he gives her to him. More importantly I don't think her destruction is anything do do with bringing the New Sun or a castration. In that case it's the angels who castrate, not Baldanders; nor is it a consequence of failure. I see it more as part of his separation from the guild. Possibly there's something else going on, but I don't think it's related to the old Autarch's "lameness". Also Severian and all the autarchs are trans, yes. It's like I Will Fear No Evil but good.

The Dorcas-as-Jocasta thing is exclusively about the incest, I didn't mean anything more.

quote:

Anyway, I'd been familiar with the Greek myths previously, but I hadn't actually read Sophocles or Aeschylus until three years ago, which is also when I started learning Roman history (The History of Rome podcast completely changed the tone of the books for me. I knew he used Latin trappings, but understanding that the House Absolute is based on Flavian's Palace IN REAL LIFE was pretty groundbreaking for me.) and Arthuriana like Le Morte d'Arthur and Nabokov, which are all heavily represented in the Solar Cycle.

Cool stuff. I've only read Malory and Nabokov since the last time I read New Sun so I'll try to keep an eye out for them too.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

First up, a guy in the general sf thread has posted scans of the first part of the old Shadow of the Torturer comic, so hop over and check them out:

my bony fealty posted:

Finally got around to scanning the first issue of the Gene Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer comic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/355nntk6hlq8e4i/gw-sott-1991.cbz?dl=0

After re-reading The Book of the New Sun and Urth... Book is incredible; it felt like I was discovering huge fields of meaning I had not seen before, and I wanted to re-read it while I was reading it. The religious writing is wonderful, especially the scene where Severian returns the Claw. I think Urth is lesser, partly because its structure is not as focused. Large amounts of the book are self-absorbed, discussing how to read it.

A random grab bag of points the thread was discussing earlier:
-I don't understand the time travel stuff, which always makes my eyes glaze over. Sadly I've never read Spinoza.
-Nabokov stuff: I spotted the phrase "pale fire", but nothing more specific. Although obviously they're interested in similar ideas. The most obvious Malory influence was the evil giants, and Severian losing Terminus Est in the Lake of Birds when he meets Dorcas. But Severian always seems like a different hero; you can see multitudes in him.
-Sex talk (don't google "severian sex" btw): I think he has sex with everyone he says he does. I think there is only one particular point where he seemed to be boasting or portraying himself in a flattering light by claiming to be a sex god: Agia makes him grope her on page 212. (Fantasy Masterworks edition, which is really poorly edited.) On the other hand, there's the House Azure women; he claims not to have gone back there after the first time, but later implies that he did (chapter 13, page 165). I don't think he had sex with little Severian; there's some evidence, but it would totally destroy his character arc, I think. The same goes for Daria (the woman he fights to join the irregular cavalry); the scene implies that he has sex with her, but their later interactions don't, or perhaps only that he wasn't as violent as she feared he would be.
-Severian seems to be fairly honest with the reader. I don't think he has perfect memory though so much as a wonderful imagination, possibly to do with his status as the Conciliator. His unreliability takes other forms.
-Most of the political writing seems to be code for religious talk.
-Terminus Est being shattered is not a castration scene, it's the ruin of his torturer-self. I think his escape via the Vincula is the baptism/crossing the Red Sea scene before his decision to live as a proper man, not a torturer.
-The guild of torturers stuff is there to make them more like soldiers.
-The beginning of the novel is crazily Gothic and recalls the opening of Bleak House.
-Vodalus is a fascist who wants to Make the Commonwealth Great Again.
-There's an old man who seems to know more than he should at the end of chapter two, where Severian is resurrected. Is he some kind of echo of Severian?
-Valeria is from Master Ash's future.
-Saint Ultan is the patron of children. Must be a busy guy.
-Severian borrows four books for Thecla but only describes three of them in detail. The last is a small green book.
-He does not gently caress about betraying the guild. He does it the afternoon of the days after Saint Katherine's Day. Maybe he should have told Gurloes he was hung over.
-Before Agilus' execution, he disdains the people who want trophies, but takes one's handkerchief to the execution.

-That only goes as far as the end of Shadow because I got bored and imagine you are too, gentle reader.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 11, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Wasn't Severian also wounded in the thigh/leg in in Citadel of the Autarch?

Correct, it was broken in the flier crash, in chapter 25 which also features Severian describing his memory as "more vividly than I would have thought possible", a nice bit of evidence for my assertion that he does not have perfect memory.

DeimosRising posted:

Like the Fisher King, Severian's emasculation is such that he comes to identify as (partially) a woman. And like the Fisher (Sinner) King, his kingdom can only be healed when he atones for his sins.

Severian's not emasculated (I think you're thinking of Terminus Est being broken here) and he identifies partly as a woman because his memories and personality are, in part, literally a woman's. I don't think that second parallel holds up, either, especially since I think it's normally not the Fisher King who does the healing and atonement - IIRC in Malory it's Sir Galahad atoning for Sir Balyn's (? Balan's) crimes.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

You're being a bit literal. He becomes less masculine (is emasculated) when he literally develops a second personality that identifies as a woman. His dick remains physically intact.

Sorry for the late reply! I think this is wrong, though. Severian doesn't become less, he becomes more - both male and (to a lesser degree) female. Nor does he "develop a second personality that identifies as a woman"; he has a woman's personality placed in his brain.

quote:

The Sinner King is healed by the actions of a Holy Fool, whether Percival or whomever, and in this case Severian is kind of both characters, and the prior Autarch is both the elder wounded king (literally castrated) and the whole line of Grail Knights. Other images from various forms of the legend show up at other times in the books, like the flesh or head of a relative/relation served on a platter, the Healing Question, the recurrence of failed trials, and the beautiful castle that becomes a ruin after the Holy Fool sleeps in it. The BotNS is definitely not a point for point retelling of any one version of the Fisher King legend, and elements of the story and characters are woven into Severian, the Autarch, and Vodalus, at least. It's probably best to read these echoes of the story in the context of Severian's revelation about the mythic significance of Baldanders and Dr. Talos.

Fair enough on me being over-literal, that's the conclusion I came to as well.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Here's something neat I found the other day. This is the demons speaking in Dr Talos' play (Claw ch. 24).

quote:

First Demon: The continents themselves are old as raddled women, long since stripped of beauty and fertility. The New Sun comes [...] and he will send them crashing into the sea like foundered ships.

Second Demon: And from the sea lift new - glittering with gold, silver, iron, and copper. With diamonds, rubies, and turquoises, lands wallowing in the soil of a million millennia, so long ago washed down to the sea.

Compare it to Moses speaking to the Hebrews before they enter the promised land (NIV):

Deuteronomy 8:7-14 posted:

For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills; a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Also note the fertility imagery. Well, it seems demons can cite Scripture to their own purpose. Severian remembers these lines in Urth chapter 48, reflecting that he had been taken in by the demons. Wolfe isn't just warning us that salvation will look very different when we get there, but not to be taken in by rhetoric, even his own, appropriately for this obsessively self-referential Book.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Actually he does lie quite a bit but that's usually something you only catch him out on on the second read.

Not really that much, unless you're counting lies of omission. Mostly he leaves stuff out, but so incompetently as to imply the real story, or doesn't understand what's going on.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

life of lemons posted:

I don't think he lies (to the reader) at all aside from omission. The only lies of intent are to other characters within the text. Severian omits a lot for drama (he makes a couple of asides about the structure of his book and what his readers expect of him when he first relates his dreams and when he draws a parallel between storytelling and the executions he performs), and also intentionally withholds information to try and recapture how he felt, or what he knew, about events at the time (though he makes a ton of comparisons between things he's observing in the moment and things he's seen before or will see later in the text).

The only potential lies I've seen people point out are almost irrelevant discrepancies such as the Roche Drotte line mix-up, and who Vodalus gave the pistol to.

I mostly agree, but I'm pretty sure he also tells the reader the occasional deliberate porker - something about going to the House Azure, I think, but I can't think of any right now. But this is insight into Severian's personality, rather than the substance of the novel. Even in his confession, there are things he has trouble admitting.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When he finishes talking about going there for the first time, he says he never went again but then way later he alludes to visiting it regularly.

That's what I was remembering, but do you remember where it was?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Abaia personally trolling up through Nessus seems far-fetched, and Baldanders leaving Severian is easily explained by him looking for Dr Talos. The normal soldiers scattering people away from the roads, or beastmen sallying out, is a lot more plausible. There's also the repeated musings on mobs being animals of their own, rather than "a lot of people"; I'm not sure the disturbance requires any particular cause.

Borski does have some interesting ideas though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

How many people get killed in Peace, anyway? I recently re-read it and made it three - the boy when he's young, the lad in the juice factory fridge or whatever it was, and the girlfriend he was hunting for treasure with - did I miss any? I should have taken more notes...

Nakar posted:

[*]In a conversation with Lois, Weer mentions the feeling of his skull being turned up by an archaeologist's spade, which people use to point to the idea that he's dead, but immediately thereafter he points out that you can't think about being dead when you're dead. This seems to otherwise be a work grounded in realism, so why should we not take Weer at his word and immediately eliminate the notion that he's dead already?

I suppose the smart reply here is "how would he know?" Or am I forgetting context?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nakar posted:

We can be absolutely sure that Weer killed Bobby Black, because he more or less says so. That was an accident (though Weer was overly aggressive; he attacks Bobby for what he imagines he's going to do), at least as far as we can tell. It's also extremely likely that he killed Lois, but again that was arguably justifiable as she pulled a gun on him. The coldhouse "prank" doesn't specifically have a named culprit, but the framing at least sort of implies Weer is responsible as he knows a tremendous amount about the incident, though it can be hard to make the timeline work out due to Weer's unreliable memory.

In terms of others, Aunt Vi is run over by a car and killed; most people think Peacock was the one who hit her but if the timeline works out correctly it's possible Weer did so instead, which would explain Julius Smart not talking to him anymore. There's also Doris, the carnie Cinderella that the dog man talks about in his letter, who kills herself by electrocution. Other murders are perhaps implied but not stated; there is some reason to suspect Weer might have killed Stewart Blaine, Sherry Gold's death is never given an adequate explanation or cause, Ron Gold may have been the victim of the coldhouse prank or something else may have happened to him as he disappears around the time Weer sleeps with Sherry and isn't mentioned again except that Weer namedrops the man who replaced him at work, and Julius Smart may have actually murdered Mr. Tilly or perhaps was Mr. Tilly, his story a veiled confession of some sort.

Thanks a lot. I definitely agree that the guy in the coldhouse was killed by Weer, because otherwise that scene didn't seem to make much sense, but I didn't follow the timeline that closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I found a small joke in Peace. Remember Dr Van Ness? The pet repair centre in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? has the same name.

FPyat posted:

Thinking about "V.R.T." and how much I liked the device of the officer rummaging through Marsch's personal effects. Are there any other books that tread in similar territory?

If you like that, you'll love Pale Fire.