Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Xenix posted:

Has anyone read Home Fires? What did you think? Someone gave it to me for my birthday and I blazed through it but ended up feeling disappointed. There was so much coincidence in the story that it was obnoxious. Wolfe always writes a lot of dialog in his novels, but in Home Fires I feel like he did way too much story telling via characters after the fact rather than showing the events as they happened.

I just finished up Home Fires a few weeks ago and thought it was really mediocre. I mentioned in another thread that it was like reading a David Lynch movie - the conversations between the characters are surreal and meandering, and the book is full of monologues where the main character takes several pages to describe exactly how he came to a certain conclusion. The story never really goes anywhere interesting and the sci-fi setting seems completely superfluous. I found nothing in it that encourages deeper reading and analysis, like in The Wizard Knight or New Sun.

Wheeee posted:

Book of the New Sun is the only work of Wolfe's I've read and stands as the only piece of genre fiction I've ever read that truly transcends the genre. Where should I go from there?

Honestly I'd say that New Sun is as much "genre fiction" as Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It really ought to be considered a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Amethyst posted:

And while I really enjoy the language, the plot is far-fetched and near unintelligible at parts, and it's two books too long.

Yeah I didn't really like Lord of the Rings either

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Amethyst posted:

Read my post and point out where I said I didn't like it.

It was a joke!