Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if Severian actually does have perfect memory as he claims, and the discrepancies are due to the book being authored by more than one Sevarian. There is time travel, and alternate futures like the anchorite's frozen Urth, and Sevarian is killed and resurrected many times. Is the Severain at the end the same as the one at the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Harsh on Oldboy.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I was thinking maybe alternate timeline as well since little Severian gets vaporized. I just remember there being some line from Shadow of the Torturer that they wouldn't accept boys whose heads were taller than a bulkhead or something which seemed to imply that kids were brought in at like 5 or 6 instead of in infancy.

I don’t think he’s literally, you know, but rather symbolically. Especially if you look at how he dies tryimg to take Typhon’s treasure, this is telling us, and maybe Severian, something.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

So, my thoughts on a couple of those points are
Severian was always the New Sun. Like, literally the star, in human clothing. The real trial was the New Sun/Severian judging whether humanity/Urth was worthy of salvation. To this end, the New Sun incarnated as the the least sympathetic person possible on Urth, a professional torturer. Somewhat balancing that, the whole autarchy system with its memory transfer exists to give the New Sun a breadth of experience to draw on in judging humanity, and that’s why the autarchs are always common people.

Also, salvation does include killing almost all of humanity, so it does kind of look like a new form of torture, yeah.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Its the latter, but I feel like it's pretty well supported.

He is a clone of somebody, or at least a body kept in storage for somebody. Who might need a body, if, say, the people of The Whorl disembark to a planet and leave mainframe behind? This body was stolen with intent to raise it and make it Caldé. Why this one? What makes it a better leader than anyone off the street? Why does everyone he meet fall in with Silk? It's not his great ideas.

e: or what they said above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1667191140783734784

Ranged Touch (Games Studies Study Buddies, Just King Things) just started a podcast series on Book of the New Sun with Austin Walker (A More Civilized Age, Friends at the Table, Waypoint).