Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Found this on Tumblr, can't attest to it's authenticity.

quote:

7th November 1966

Dear Mr Wolfe,

Thank you very much for your letter. The etymology of words and names in my story has two sides: (1) their etymology within the story; and (2) the sources from which I, as an author, derive them. I expect you mean the latter. Orc I derived from Anglo-Saxon, a word meaning demon, usually supposed to be derived from the Latin Orcus — Hell. But I doubt this, though the matter is too involved to set out here. Warg is simple. It is an old word for wolf, which also had the sense of an outlaw or hunted criminal. This is its usual sense in surviving texts.* I adopted the word, which had a good sound for the meaning, as a name for this particular brand of demonic wolf in the story.

Yours sincerely,

J. R. R. Tolkien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Man, don't do that. You'll just run it for yourself. Move on to Short and Long Suns, and discover the mysteries for yourself instead of relying on Andre-Driussi and his wacky theories.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I found Sorcerer's House to be absolutely brilliant. Especially how the climax happened off screen and that last chapter. I was totally floored.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

New Sun is only tangibly related to Long Sun. They don't need to be super fresh in your mind or anything. Not saying you shouldn't reread them, just that they aren't a necessary prerequisite. Urth is entirely skippable, and according to your temperament is either a brilliant coda or sloppy trash that sheds a ugly light on New Sun. Proceed at your own risk.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

The Urth mailing list is full of crackpot theories and spurious reasoning. It's a shame really. It could have been such a good resource.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Severian is certainly Christ-like. I'm having trouble seeing Typhon as a pure stand in for Satan. He's a tyrant and meglomaniac for sure, but otherwise???

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not sure there is a "canon" summary to be honest. Interpretation is a big part of it.
edit: Hell, people can't agree on when Severian is lying and when he's telling the truth.

This feels like you're overthinking it quite a bit. The book is vague, but it's hardly inscrutable.

I'm not finding any simple and comprehensive summaries, Saki. Why not post your conclusions and see if people here agree?

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Forlesen is great. The thing that moves under the highway is, for me, the greatest Wolfe mystery.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Long is my favorite of the Suns, but I felt the same way on the first read. Tunnels again!? On rereads the pacing smooths out and those sections are way more compelling.

With Wolfe the first read is always the least fruitful.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

From will transform Grrm into Wolfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Severian is a land of contrast.

As for the disconnected feeling of the book, that's intentional. Keep thinking, but don't stress over it. Most importantly: keep reading.