Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

I get the impression that all of the books after Citadel of the Autarch are similar to the Foundation books Asimov published after the first thee: unnecessary additions written at the request of the publisher because they sold more than all his others.

Possibly unfair since I haven't read them. Do they feel like this to read?

Urth of the New Sun is the only direct sequel to BotNS and it was basically written at the publisher's behest, if I recall correctly. Being Wolfe, the book answers some of the questions in BotNS while raising a bunch of new ones.

The Long and Short Sun books were all written of Wolfe's own volition, and stand out as their own works with thought and care given to them on an individual levle. They don't feel like cash in's or mandated sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah and I think Ultan's library in New Sun and the rare bookseller in Peace suggest that Wolfe appreciated the idea of physical books as art unto themselves, which often comes with limited availability and a high price tag.

You can love libraries and lovely second-hand paperbacks and still value fancy books too.

Woulda been interesting to know what he thought about ebooks, if anything.

Well Ultan’s library does have a cube that contains within it more books than the rest of the library combined, so he was down with digital copies as valid forms of “books”.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'd recommend The Best of Gene Wolfe actually. Collects some of his best short stories like Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Death of Dr. Island, and Seven American Nights.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyways. I finally started digging into Borges. Read the Garden of Forking paths, and Funes, his memory. Y'know I'm starting to see why people say he was a inspiration to Wolfe

I finally got around to picking up a Borges collection at my library and this is literally the second paragraph of the first page I turn to

Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius posted:

Bioy Casares had come to dinner at my house that evening, and we had lost all track of time in a vast debate over the way one might go about composing a first-person novel whose narrator would omit or distort things and engage in all sorts of contradictions, so that a few of the book's readers--a very few--might divine the horrifying or banal truth.