Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

RIP my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I would recommend you check out his best stuff first, which would be Book of the New Sun. And if the first book doesn't grab you, then you know his stuff isn't for you.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

my bony fealty posted:

there's this series of posts which are definitely some combination of the writer seeing what they want to and *something* textual being there

https://paintedblindpublishing.com/2018/03/09/botns-1/

I read the first two before my eyes completely glazed over.

I'm reading my Folio society edition of New Sun for the first time currently (at the part in Sword where Severian gets to the lake castle now) and its a very nice experience. the illustrations are nothing at all like I imagined any of it but they're a cool interpretation.

really need to re-read Peace, maybe I'll do that next.

Folio version? poo poo, I would have been all over that poo poo. Anyone willing to sell? :humblebean:

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I mean, isn't Severian like 15 years old? And yeah he lives in some kind of medieval environment. He lost his virginity to clone prostitutes iirc.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I previously read BOTNS and then went into Long Sun and I don't think I missed too much. I reread BOTNS last year and liked it more and now finishing Urth which is also good but not as good as BOTNS. There is a lot of closure with certain strands but there's less of Severian's gems of wisdom and the first half is more cliffhangery like a dan brown book. The second half (so far) has been more enjoyable.