Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've been reading the first half of botns for a while now and I've doubtless forgot a bunch of stuff. When Severian and Jonas are in the prison in the house absolute, he mentions the claw burning bright blue when he transmuted the water in the carafe and I have no idea what this refers to. I know they do something with a vial when the nodules attack the uhlan but I don't remember any transmutation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe it's just me but did anyone else experience a huge jump in difficulty between Claw and Sword? The first half of the series wasn't too bad; I'd probably say I got 90-95% of it and what I didn't was mostly obscure terminology but now there's entire chapters where I'm reading it and I'll get to the end and I'm like what the hell just happened

Gaius Marius posted:

When he wakes up in the inn at saltus his water trough became wine

How embarrassing, must be in the 5-10%.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I could have swore I read somewhere the number of archons there were. I can't remember if it was in the book or online. I thought it might be in one of the appendixes of the first two books but a quick skim produces nothing and it might have been at the start of sword; I haven't yet reached citadel. I'd love to look more online but it's a rare example of something I actually prefer not to spoil and you do have to be careful looking up some of these esoteric references because man there's a lot of spoiler with them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well, just finished botns. drat good books and certainly the best written sci-fi I've read, if not necessarily the easiest to digest. I'll be thinking about it for a while. What was the emerald bench mentioned in the closing chapters? Not much of a spoiler I don't think. Was in quotation marks too but I don't know the significance of that other than suggesting it likely a metaphor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CommonShore posted:

I used a Gene Wolf quotation for introducing a concept when teaching Judo tonight

Was it about the kitten and ball or the two apricots

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm hoping it's when Severian punched the person in the face so hard it killed them.

Oh god when was this. I missed a lot more than I realized. I did figure out jonas beforehand though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Your Gay Uncle posted:

towards the end of Sword of the Lictor, Severian punches Piation's nose bone into his brain, killing Piation and Typhon at the same time. Love that Typhon only thought to protect himself, didn't think of Piation for a second.

Yeah that was very cleverly told. I thought you meant he just brute forced someone.

typhon was a huge dick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

a lot is made of how reactionary wolfe is, but it's hard to read a lot of his most despicable characters as anything but ravenous capitalists and objectivists

It's a super lovely world of course it seems pretty obvious people are going to be back asswards

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was actually thinking of:

Most humans do not know it, but it is difficult to learn to strike another human being with all one's force; some ancient instinct makes even the most brutal soften the blow. Among the torturers I had been taught not to do so. I struck her, the heel of my hand against her chin, as hard as I have ever struck anyone in my life, and she crumpled like a doll.

Now when was this? I know he hits agia in the jail and on the blood fields and threatens her for belittling dorcas but I can't remember him hitting someone and killing them

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 11, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Woops, end tagged it in bold and not spoiler. Sorry if I ruined anything but I don't think there were any truly terrible spoilers.

Facehammer posted:

Urth of the New Sun

Ah, haven't read that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

I mean near the end of Citadel eidolons created by godlike aliens from above the stage descend in a spaceship and say "we are aliens from above the stage who have been guiding you", the whole story is a play and everyone is following a script.

I thought that was sword?