Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I'm reading a collection of his short stories, Endangered Species. Really amazing stuff overall, I'll post a review when I'm done.

Has anyone read any of his Wizard Knight books?

It's interesting to note that Wolfe is now 80 years old, and his first novel wasn't published until he was 39 (in 1970). The guy has been writing steady for 40 years.

Argali fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Just picked up the two-volume set of The Book of the Long Sun for $6 at a used book sale in the Princeton Public Library. I'm wondering if I should re-read the Book the New Sun series first before I dive into this? I read the latter about seven years ago and really enjoyed it, but I feel like you need to re-read it to get a better sense of what's really going on. Also I never read The Urth of the New Sun.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Bear Sleuth posted:

The Urth mailing list is full of crackpot theories and spurious reasoning. It's a shame really. It could have been such a good resource.

Has anyone read stuff like Solar Labyrinth - analyses of The Book of the New Sun?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Ugh, Home Fires is really, really bad. Picked it up from the library and I'm 75 pages in...no reason to go on.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I know it's probably a minority opinion. But I find that past a certain date Wolfe books became largely devoted to people telling each other the plot and I find that super dull. I only find the splendid baroque ambiguity that I like in the earlier ones.

That's it in a nutshell. Home Fires is constructed largely with dialogue - terribly written, cringe-worthy dialogue. And the plot is just not interesting.