Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Disappointing egg posted:

Really? I thought the theory was Silk is a clone of Typhon instead, or is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, I thought Pas was Typhon, more or less. His personality uploaded to Mainframe (like the other Gods) when Typhon launched the starships back in his time of BotNS. I get that Silk was genetically engineered, so I assume the theory is that he was more or less a clone of Pas/Typhon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oops, I forgot about the Short Sun books and haven't read them yet

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I still don't really know what I'm supposed to think about the Latro books :geno:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just started reading Book of the Long Sun again and realized (this probably isn't anything amazing) but basically everything Silk does is probably influenced by him being enlightened at the very beginning. He gets a glimpse of everything and then from that point on his decisions are probably influenced by that...what to do, etc. Kind of a play on fate and controlling your destiny, perhaps

Or I"m completely wrong, I dunno

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I wasn't exactly thinking that he saw his entire path layed out exactly before him, but the coincidences that happen immediately afterwards made me kind of thing he was subconsciously acting on the information he did receive. But maybe I'm making too much of that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That's actually what I don't really remember, is he reviving himself or are the hierodules reviving him every time he dies?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

House Louse posted:

On the other hand, they and Tzadkiel are both on the ship. I seem to remember it as always being his own virtue, though. It's been too long since I've read these. I know what I'm reading next.

Yeah, I can't remember why the heirdols are interested in him and doing all that they do if he doesn't have some kind of innate powers, but it's been a long while since I read it as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ornamented Death posted:

I've read BotNS twice and I have almost no idea what anyone is talking about. I think it's time for a reread + finally getting to Long and Short Sun.

A lot of that stuff is in Urth of the New Sun, I think. I just don't remember how he brought about the New Sun or he specifically was needed for that or whatever

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

This is amazing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

House Louse posted:

I think this is explicit, but just in case yes, Typhon buit the Whorl when the Old Sun suddenly faded, which he mentions in Sword. Why the gods are him and his family... I dunno. Also it's pretty clear that Severian is not Christ.

iirc the gods are him and his family because he basically uploaded their consciousness into the spaceship and gave them admin access. It also sounds like he was kind of big on being worshipped as a god back in the book of the new sun

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Long sun is great and even better when you realize that what appears to be an omniscient author can be unreliable as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm reading The Dying Earth and besides the obvious setting that Wolfe drew from it, it's funny to see the parallels between Cugel and Severian. Wolfe's writing is much more complex and the character partially hidden behind his own narration but they're both characters you really aren't supposed to look at as heroes you should like. Cugel starts of his story by selling fraudulent baubles, breaks into a house to steal poo poo, rapes several women, and basically is just a lovely person, but it is funny how it's written that it's not so entirely in your face about how lovely he is. His terrible deeds aren't exactly played up for drama or something. It's a little like how you can miss a lot of what Severian is doing being really lovely if you're just casually reading through the books (though again not as subtle, it's definitely hard to miss that Cugel is a lovely person)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pistol_Pete posted:

I hate the bit in Wizard Knight when Abel rocks up on a ship, insults the captain to his face and eventually murders him and chucks him off the ship 'cos he failed to show proper respect or some poo poo and never seems particularly sorry afterwards.

Wtf, Abel.

I wondered a bit how much of that was him still being a kid inside an adult body and Pouk told him how everyone’s going to be out to scam him so he went a bit far in aggressively making sure he wasn’t being scammed

Though he killed the captain since the captain tried to kill him and after able had helped save the ship

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lex Talionis posted:

Able is an immature kid who thinks honor is how people treat you, so he violently forces his own self-image of himself as a Knight on people and thinks that makes him honorable. Because he happens to have lucked into being the biggest, strongest dude alive with an over-the-top number of enchanted inventory items, he wins every fight and so people come around to thinking he's amazing despite the fact he's acting like an enormous rear end in a top hat.

As time goes on and he ascends to the realm of the gods, he truly grows up, learns what honor and virtue really are, and becomes a good and wise person. The risky part is us spending so much time with Abel while he's being a huge rear end in a top hat, the maturation process is a typical coming of age thing. But because it's Gene Wolfe and typical bores him, he puts it entirely off-screen between the two books and probably at least half the people who read it (including me the first time I suspect) are too confused to notice he's acting very differently in the Wizard.

I mean, I think it’s even more complicated than that. He knows he’s a kid, he’s still really thoughtful on some things, but yeah is still an rear end in a top hat on a lot of other things, but the world is complicated and full of people being assholes and weird stuff as well

The ship scenario is a little more complicated than Pistol Pete mentioned but still kinda initiated by able being an rear end

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Re-reading the long sun and about 200 pages in and drat Silk is really suicidal huh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

on the last book of Long Sun now and man...just really gotta feel for Silk

again I go back to the number of times he thinks about or attempts suicide as well and just desperately craves some release from the burdens put on him but also feels so responsible, it's pretty interesting and very Gene Wolfe how things can be hinted at/left unsaid but play a lot into character development. I think one part where it says something along the lines of him testing Hyacinth's needler but it didn't fire and he congratulated himself on testing it really came across as a failed suicide attempt that was very played off as just a thing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ogmius815 posted:

But Apu-Panchau is dead and has been for a long time. In this chapter the characters interact with him by somehow warping space time (which the seer tells us is eternal). But if time is eternal (i.e. unchanging and permanent) surely the past can’t actually CHANGE.

To be honest I"m not good with all of the crazy details of BotNS but I don't think this point is correct. Think about Severian "nearly drowning" near the beginning, or "miraculously" surviving the avern duel. I think there's more to it later so I'm trying not to spoil things (and I might even be remembering them wrong anyways).

This also has implications regarding Apu-Panchau though I'm not sure if that becomes clear until Urth of the New Sun

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think a lot of things are made more explicit in Urth and I'm probably remembering parts from that but I think interpreting time as not being changeable isn't quite right

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 18, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear there is a part in Urth where someone in Typhon's camp outright states that he built a fleet and sent it out to return and reconquer Urth as a backup plan, but I cannot find it with a simple text search, one of the few drawbacks of the baroque vocabulary used. Regardless It fits with his character the man is completely obsessed with his material form achieving immortality, in contrast to his clone Silk who desperately wants to end himself because the fragile emotional state he is in nearly constantly being torn between his duty and his feelings, not knowing if the gods he worships are real gods, or even worthy of respect, and finding that he can't tell how much of his life was of his own volition, based on his genetic disposition as the heir of Pas, or part of the Outsider's grander plan. Imagine falling totally and completely in love with a woman, someone you'd throw away every precept of your upbringing for, and at the back of your mind knowing that some/all of it must be because you were designed to fall for her because she is possessed by your Father/Genetic Twins favorite mistress. If we take Typhon and Silk and treat them as the same character, you can see that the reason Typhon acts as he does is a fear of being dominated himself leads him to dominate others, it is a response built out of fear, Silk himself cannot seem to walk his own path even when he tries and he himself is scared of the latent impulse to destroy and dominate that comes out in him when he is cornered or forced to act.

One of the greater themes in the whole of the Solar Cycle is that there is no distinction between Grand Events and Inconsequential Events, it's a series where time is malleable and traversable, entire universe cycles occur, and seemingly Godlike beings are a regular feature, and yet a man slipping a knife under a door, curing a diseased child, teaching a young pupil, or giving permission for an alien species to join the world are crucial events. Typhon tried to hijack religion of the Whorl, and shaped Silk as a perfect avatar of himself with the ability to be enlightened preprogrammed into his brain, Pas in turn is hijacked by the Outsider to bring the conclusion to the Whorl project implemented by Typhon and advance the grander cycle once again. For Wolfe evil always serves good in the end, and the ending of the Solar Cycle is the grandest statement of it. The Lucifer figure of Typhon is finally redeemed in Silk who is merged with Horn and has a fragment of the Neighbor in him, these finally balance Silk and allow him to live in the world instead of just outside of it, it fulfills Horns goal of becoming Silk like just as Silk becomes more like Horn, and it fulfills the final goal of the Neighbor who sends Horn's spirit back to the Whorl and revives the three of them inside Silk who's just slit his wrists in front of Hyacinth's grave. This new Hybradized Silk eventually encounters another Typhon in Blanko and proves his superiority, shows that the Inhumi are both only a threat to humanity because of human's own malice and hatred and also that they are no great threat if humanity works together instead of trying to kill each other using them, and then he leaves humanity to make it's own destiny on the planets instead of trying to lead them as God-King like Typhon did. He even symbolically reconciles with his daughter Scylla. Eventually the Whorl becomes Tzadikiel's Ship and then Yesod, it's mentioned that Tzadikiel's ship is the only ship in the galaxy, and Yesod is described as a ship a few times, it's Wolfe playing with us again forcing multiple versions of the same ship to occur simultaneously but giving us just enough hints to realize it. Silk eventually becomes Tzadikiel, cocoons are made of Silk and the first time we see Tzadikiel he is portrayed as a cosmic butterfly, we can then assume the Whorl is what eventually leads Silk to this form, and seeing him in the book is what really breaks the chain on Severian's mind and forces him to realize just how large the world really is and in turn allows him to reject Typhon and instead push forward unknowingly for the New Sun.

Like with the three alien wisemen, the meeting between Silk and Severian is not a once occurring thing. They are constantly meeting and parting under newer and unknown circumstances and forms. Like the Hieros and Humans, or the Humans and Inhumi they too are engaged in a mutual creation process with only some of the parts known to them. They are both at once each the father and son in the relationship. Severian causes the New Sun which leads to the eventual creation of the Green Men who become the Neighbors who transfer Horn to Silk and allow Silk to eventually leave to become Tzak who then guides Severian into bringing the New Sun and stopping Typhon from relaunching old humanities plan of conquest. Each follows each other in mythic terms, the clearing of the Inhumi city echoes the flood that creates Ushas but also the cleaning of the Vincula in Thrax and the clearing of the stable by Heracles during his labors, and of course of God flooding the Earth. The Inhumi city itself is the remains of Nessus and like Severian clearing the way for humanity to continue with the creation of Ushas, Horn's actions pave the way for the rebirth of a newer, better humanity on Green.

Man I gotta reread Long/Short. I feel like I'm forgetting a ton of poo poo.

regarding Seawrack

The two thing's with Seawrack are looking at how Horn and Nettle viewed Hyacinth. They, especially Horn, were totally devoted to Silk, considered him nearly godlike and Horn did his best to emulate him in speech and action but found himself struggling without Silk's direct guidance often. He also struggles when Sinew is born believing, childishly, that Nettle is now giving the love due to him to Sinew. His quest for Silk then is at once a way to regain his mentor, friend, and to escape a life that in his heart he doesn't truly want to live anymore. Now, when you look at how Hy is described she comes across remarkably poorly, vain, self centered and ultimately the one who Silk astray from his duties and from joining everyone on Blue. For Horn there must have been something unbearably seductive for Silk to have been "deceived" by her. For Horn Silk is flawless he doesn't truly understand the level of anguish or love that Silk feels. So when Horn gets a chance to escape his life, and a beautiful woman who seems to have the same semi hypnotic abilities that the gods of the Whorl have shows up. One of the worst things I've seen written is that Wolfe used Seawrack's singing to excuse for Horn to rape her, the truth is much worse. Horn wanted her to sing so he could emulate his hero Silk and be "forced" to break his vows( to the church for Silk and to Nettle for Horn), he wanted his own version of the moment captured in eternity of Silk and Hyacinth captured in the fountain of the brothel and instead created a twisted and disgusting mockery of it, one that he feels so sickened by he can barely acknowledge it, likewise Silk as Rajan also finds it disturbing. Because it's a mockery of his love for Hy, because he is forced to remember his pupil fall so far, and because in some way he feels responsible for it.

Note that he says Krait asked him to make Seawrack sing, only afterwards does he then has his intermission that he will no longer omit anything or lie, then reveals he implored her to sing for him. Horn wants to make excuses to himself, and Silk as Rajan wants to cover for his pupil and save Nettle the heartbreak. But if you go back to the first chapter that Horn meets her he is already conflating her with Kypris and Chenille and imagining his own life stuck in time like Silk and Hy in Ermines.

Blue is explicitly Hell to the colonists and it is so not because of the Inhumi but because of Man, even someone who is trying to live a moral life ends up committing atrocious acts and Horn is no exception, the only redemption he gets is his soul and memory tempering Silk. Horn regrets it, Silk finds it abominable, the only one who is apologetic is Seawrack herself who some take as Wolfe being misogynistic, but Seawrack has absolutely no where else to go, she's rejected being a siren and hates the idea of returning to Mother. Horn is the only person she can rely on to feed and transport her, and Horn is very aware of that and that he took advantage of the mercy he held her in.

I like this post if for no other reason that it does tie everything together in plausible ways (though I can't really say much about the Short Sun analysis).

I just finished Long Sun last night and it didn't quite click with me that Silk was a clone of Pas until you mentioned it, even though right there at the end he has another theophany with Kypris which reveals his face as one of Pas'. Though which raises another questions in that I thought Silk was a clone of the previous Calde as it is hinted, so was the previous Calde also a Pas clone?
But also as I read that and the Defense at the end of the book it did click about Hy and how with Silk as the Pas standin, she would be the Echidna standin, and how that works with how she's portrayed in the books and Horn's comments on her at the end of the book. That said, what evidence is there of her being possessed by Echidna? I don't remember if there's anything explicit other than I guess when Silk first enters her chambers at Blood's mansion, he briefly sees colors in the glass.

I do really like your breakdown of the tensions within Silk though as it jives a lot with what I was trying to put together in my head of his feelings and actions. How all the rest of it ties together I can't really say if I get on with it or not as I need to read Short Sun again but again I think some of the stuff with Wolfe is that you can put it all together like that and make thematic sense of it, whether or not that is the true" intention

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know who said that the back half of Long is slow but they are out of their gourds. poo poo is popping off so quickly in the last book that it's nearly impossible to keep up with who is allied to who and who is where. It's like the French Revolution, WWII, and a Tsunami are all happening simultaneously and the writing and pace reflect that.

You'll be glad to hear Short brings back some of the weirdo xeno poo poo like the Nodules. Fifth Head is also important for slotting some thematic poo poo in the oeuvre together. Plus 2/3 of it are fantastic.

I think there are a lot of long discussions that take place in the back half but also a lot of stuff moves forward very quickly (and many times off screen). Up to the reader I think to decide if it feels like an "exposition dump" or if it's a method of exploring characters and their motives while slowing the pace of events before jerking forward again in actual events. Consider we learn at the end that this is an account written down by Horn and not an omnipresent narrator then some of the bouncing to different things and locations and parts being more filled out where Horn is present makes sense.

I think the first half of Long Sun has that self contained story feel and you're looking at the small actions that gradually build to the culmination of Silk being named Calde, while the second half takes on the bigger picture of not just the Whorl politics but the grander scheme as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Appoda posted:

And I like Silk, who in spite of having what I'd consider an unrealistic level of devotion (and is sometimes treated as such), is so much more approachable as a character than Sevarian, who was always a dark little weirdo with a personality that's hard to extricate from the present moment, his future self writing, eating brains, his "memory", the "first Sevarian" stuff, etc. Also fun contrast in how Sev fucks every woman he meets, while Silk gets mad pussy laid at his feet and is nothing but mortified every time a girl so much as looks at him.

I mean it's a pretty large plot element with how Silk struggles with his faith (and how it changes over time), what is demanded of Augers, and his own desires. He clearly wishes he could take action on many of the proposals that come his way yet cannot (at least for the fear of losing access to theophanies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gaius Marius posted:

In the same dream that Silk is revealed definitely to be a Pas/Typhon clone you also learn that Hyacinth is possessed by Kypris, same with Chenille. That is why Silk conflates his mother's face, Kypris, Chenille and Hy.

oh hm, yeah I see. For some reason I thought I read what you said as her being possessed by Echidna. I guess we don't know a lot about Kypris but her being obsessed with Silk/Pas the way Hy is also makes sense. Her demeanour towards everyone else I suppose is less domineering in the way we are shown Echidna is supposed to be, and more shallow

quote:

Hy is also a Trivugante agent. Consider she is a high class escort whose clientèle includes the highest general in the Vironese army and she lives with a crime lord connected to the Ayuntamiento, she also immediately starts getting down with a Trivugante general when they arrive and is given an Azoth by Crane, another agent, to avoid her being captured or killed if discovered. When Silk is about to kill himself on the airship it is in part because after he made his final break from his duty to the church by marrying Hy, supposedly carving his own path for once, he gets a one two punch of sub consciously realizing this too was part of Pas's plan and that the woman he fell head over heels in love with may just be using him to gain information. Silk always wants to see the best in people, which also means he understands the worst and this creates a gulf that makes all of her actions suspect to him.

As an aside when the outsider speaks to him it has a male and female voice. a Mountain and a Dove. Doves are associated with Kypris and the Mountain is Mt.Typhon the symbol of Typhon's dominance of Urth and the stars. He never says it but the longer it goes on the more he comes to believe that even his enlightenment was engineered.

yeah he explicitly talks about seeing the worst of people and how horrible it is, not just in himself but in others, and how that led to his near suicide attempt. I feel like the Outsider is setup to be literal God but when you put it that way as well I guess it gets somewhat interesting in thinkign what the Outsider could be. What are your thoughts on that? Another construction of Typhon to carry out his plan one way or another "outside" the influence of the family feuds? AI of Mainframe carrying out Pas' plan?