Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lex Talionis posted:

"I, however, never suffered more than a sore throat and a running nose, forms of sickness that serve only to deceive healthy people into the belief that they know in what disease consists. Master Malrubius suffered real illness, which is to see death in shadows."

I love this quote, just the way it is framed encapsulates so much about severian's narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Which glimpses of the future do you mean? I remember something that could qualify the green man's future but not the other.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Thoughts on the wizard knight series or there are doors? I remember there are doors being somewhat arcane but I read it long ago, before I was familiar with his other books. I've never read any of the wizard knight books bit I'm curious about them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lex Talionis posted:

Finally, while the surface story is straightforward and (by Wolfe standards) relatively easy to follow, there are vast depths to excavate. I guess that can't really be quantified but I would say there's more hidden meaning than the New Sun books. Unlike in New Sun, the true nature of the world is never laid out even in brief. Last time I reread it (for probably the third or fourth time) I made pages of notes and felt I was getting close to understanding it all, but it's going to take at least one more trip through, and that's probably too optimistic. But as ever with Wolfe, I think the truth is out there.

If you want to make a spoiler-filled effort post about this at some point I would like to read it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I realize this is pretty small compared to some of the revelations you might stumble over, but I'm on my second read of BotNS and it just occurred to me Triskele was already dead when Severian found him, wasn't he?

It's been a while since I read it and I don't remember reaching that specific conclusion, what convinced you that was the case?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DFu4ever posted:

A bit of a necro quote, but I am left feeling pretty blah after finishing the first book of the BoTNS series. I'm guessing from the love you guys are showing the series that there is more to it than meets the eye, but from a straight writing and story standpoint it's been extremely lackluster.

The characters are not terribly interesting. Severian reminds me of the Plinkett Episode 1 Review when they asked people to describe Qui Gon Jinn. There is really nothing much there to describe outside of literally describing who he is. Considering he's the guy narrating the tale, it's pretty damning that his characterization has been so poor. Dorcas, so far, is basically 'mysterious plot device the character'.

Also, the book itself just kind of ends out of nowhere. I'm not entirely sure what the climax was. The duel? The play? I've read books with odd writing, but this comes off more like bad writing than just being intentionally weird and obtuse.

EDIT: And another thing...the setting itself is interesting, but poorly described. I'd love to know more about it, but Wolfe so far has proven to be terrible at writing in a way that helps you visualize just about anything with any level of clarity. I do, however, have a perfect visualization of Severian's fuligin cloak because it's described repeatedly throughout the book.

It sounds like these aren't the books for you. I suggest finding a warhammer 40k novel or perhaps something with a star wars logo on the front.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Filking is the most embarrassing part of scifi fandom hands down. Angsty teen-written vampire shipping sex fanfics are less awful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i haven't read it at all, but it is written by michael-andre druissi who also wrote lexicon urthus, which is interesting.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I thought the alzabo soup episodes discussing fifth head of Cerberus were very good as a close reading though I didn't agree with all of their conclusions. Sucks to hear that the new sun episodes aren't as good.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm not and I'll probably listen to them anyway

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ElGroucho posted:

I'm sure some people will really like it, it just didn't do anything for me. I think I enjoy the mystery too much. Even though I know it's a sci-fi story, to me it works better as a fantasy story. I enjoy being as clueless as Severian. The enjoyment I might get from unraveling one of the mysteries (with science!) isn't as good as the feeling I read the first time I read about the Atrium of Time, or the encounter with the witches.

Unfortunately neither you nor I can read it for the first time again

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
gently caress!!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chichevache posted:

Lmao. I already got Terminus Est tattooed on my arm when I was an angsty teen.

I'm planning on doing an old, anthropomorphic Grey wolf with a large moustache and glasses. I'll probably have him wearing Gene Wolfe's hat too. I'd like a banner underneath with something pithy and Wolfean. Terminus Est works, but having it twice on my body seems a bit much.

Could use severian's quote about the power of symbols from chapter 1 of botns.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Long sun, short sun, wizard knight also

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

sebmojo posted:

Personally I only like the 80s stuff, which is botns and soldiers of mist and arete: I think his style changes markedly after that

if you're limiting it to that decade, Free Live Free and There are Doors were both published in the 80s.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chichevache posted:

I did not find enjoyment in the former!

I haven't read that one myself. I read There are Doors (like 10-12 years ago) and it was pretty odd.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Guy Gabriel Marquez, noted author of The Lions of al-Macondo

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ManlyGrunting posted:

I only read 100 years of Solitude and a few of his short stories, that one's going over my head, sorry. :shobon:

Mostly I'm kind of amused with how much Peace has in common with the small-town coming of age story that seems to be two-thirds of all Canadian fiction ever written. It's probably more consciously aping Faulkner but hey, my education leaves me certain biases.
I am just poking a bit of fun at you, Guy Gavriel Kay wrote The Lions of al-Rassan and Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote One Hundred Years of Solitude. I wasn't sure which one of them you meant until your second post.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CommonShore posted:

I just read "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" for the first time and I liked it.

Honestly on reflection and after spending almost two decades now reading his work I think Fifth Head is my favorite.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Short sun is a direct sequel to long sun so I guess the answer is sort of

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Gotta throw out my pitch for Fifth Head of Cerberus (the whole book, not just the title story). After years of reading and re-reading Wolfe I think it's really the quintessential Wolfe book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a big effort post on the Wizard Knight somewhere I can read? Did Marc Aramini ever write anything on it?