Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Would rather play MAG then the PS3 version of Battlefield 3. BF3 console version is only 24 players, that's not even worth it. The 64 player count is one of the core Battlefield series, defining features. 24 players just makes it a slightly upgraded version of Bad Company 2.

Bad Company 2 was hella fun on consoles. Not as good as the PC version obviously but that just depressed me with how many freakin' snipers there were everywhere. I prefer playing with complete idiots on consoles since it's generally less frustrating :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

Would rather play MAG then the PS3 version of Battlefield 3. BF3 console version is only 24 players, that's not even worth it. The 64 player count is one of the core Battlefield series, defining features. 24 players just makes it a slightly upgraded version of Bad Company 2.

Bullshit it's not worth it. Why do people get so wrapped up in numbers? OH IT DOESN'T HAVE 84 vs 84 Online Persistent Multiplayer? gently caress THAT GAME!

Seriously. Tell me you'd rather play MAG because you disliked BC2, of BF2. But telling me a game designed a certain way is bad because it just doesn't have enough players for you strikes me as a little ridiculous.

You know what had a lot of players? Anarchy Online. Would you rather play THAT than BF3?

EC posted:

Is BF3 gonna be worth a rental for the SP? I don't play MP at all.

My Magic 8 Ball says Maybe?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

EC posted:

Is BF3 gonna be worth a rental for the SP? I don't play MP at all.
A rental? Sure. Even Medal of Honor's SP was decent enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Bullshit it's not worth it.

You didn't play Battlefield 2 then. A large player count, completely matters. Battlefield 2 has had as large of a community as it does, for this long, because it's huge maps, and large player count makes it amazing. All of those land, air and sea vehicles being controlled by players, and everyone broken up into groups, doing something and working together, makes it one of the best multiplayer shooters. MAG is awesome for the same reason, but it doesn't have nearly as much content in its maps as Battlefield 2 did, just far more players.

A large player count has always been what the core Battlefield series is about. Take that away, make the maps smaller, and it's just the millionth multiplayer shooter that we don't need.

Bad Company 2 was acceptable because it wasn't a core Battlefield game, DICE wasn't trying to make it into one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're also restricted from 3/4 of the other players for most of a round in MAG.

MAG is more like 4 games glued together than a true 256 person game.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, while I prefer the console Battlefield games ISCI has a very valid point, and the larger playercount in the PC version will make a huge difference to the gameplay. Now I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's not worth it since even Bad Company 2 on consoles was amazing fun, he isn't wrong in stating that the large playercounts are a significant part of what makes Battlefield what it is.

I mean take those promo videos for BF3 right, where you see a whole convoy of vehicles rolling into battle with helicopter support, ground troops and a squadron of fighters overhead? You're not gonna get that in the console versions because there won't be enough players, and there won't be enough vehicles either. The dynamics of gameplay and actual battles will be vastly different between the two versions.

Aphrodite posted:

You're also restricted from 3/4 of the other players for most of a round in MAG.

MAG is more like 4 games glued together than a true 256 person game.

You're not actually. Times I've been stuck on a godawful squad I've wandered over to the complete opposite side of the map to help the guys over there out instead. It took me quite a long time to walk there but they don't cheat with MAG at all. I mean heck, look up the 128 player stampede if you think they segment players apart :v:

Edit: Nevermind I misunderstood your point. Whoops.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A larger player count in BF3 WOULD be nice. Not arguing that. But saying MAG is better than BC2 (or BF3) because it "just has more people in it" seems like a ludicrous stance to me. BC2 (and likely BF3) are super fun and work just fine the way they were tooled.

[edit] While Subjective, I'll also throw in my preference that extremely large player count games can often be clusterfucks and 'spawn-run-5-feet-die' fests, quite often. Running out into a literal monsoon of bullets isn't exactly what I personally enjoy about shooters.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 5, 2011

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

I mean heck, look up the 128 player stampede if you think they segment players apart :v:

That video is why SVER is the best faction. It was poetry in motion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I am on my PS3, I would choose MAG, that's all i'm saying. I have the PC version of Battlefield 3 pre-ordered, and play the PC version of Bad Company 2 pretty often. Bad Company 2 isn't MAG or Battlefield 3, it was never meant to be, DICE said as much. I have different expectations for that series, it is very different from the core Battlefield series.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PlayStation Plus content for September announced

10 free games
  • Altered Beast (PSN)
  • Astro Tripper (PSN)
  • Bashi Blocks (Minis)
  • Jellypops (Minis)
  • Jet Moto (PSOne)
  • Plants vs. Zombies (PSN)
  • Resident Evil 1 (PSOne)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PSOne)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PSOne)
  • Street Smarts (Minis)

4 Full Game Trials
  • BulletStorm
  • Saints Row 2
  • Bolt
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12

And if you're a cool dude, you can get both Resident Evil 4 HD and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD for $10 a piece for 2 weeks starting on the 20th (RE4) and 27th (RECVX)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Good thing I signed up for a year of PS+ when that GoW Origins demo came out. :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I said come in! posted:

You didn't play Battlefield 2 then. A large player count, completely matters. Battlefield 2 has had as large of a community as it does, for this long, because it's huge maps, and large player count makes it amazing. All of those land, air and sea vehicles being controlled by players, and everyone broken up into groups, doing something and working together, makes it one of the best multiplayer shooters. MAG is awesome for the same reason, but it doesn't have nearly as much content in its maps as Battlefield 2 did, just far more players.

A large player count has always been what the core Battlefield series is about. Take that away, make the maps smaller, and it's just the millionth multiplayer shooter that we don't need.

Bad Company 2 was acceptable because it wasn't a core Battlefield game, DICE wasn't trying to make it into one.

The battlefield series is popular because of its focus on land sea and air combat along with its arcade like combat. While player count accounts for some of it, the game could have been poo poo with 64 players and nobody at all would have played it. There are a number of things that have contributed to Battlefield 2's large player count but its not just because of the large maps (which not everyone plays on btw), the ranking system and unlocks contributed too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

If I am on my PS3, I would choose MAG, that's all i'm saying. I have the PC version of Battlefield 3 pre-ordered, and play the PC version of Bad Company 2 pretty often. Bad Company 2 isn't MAG or Battlefield 3, it was never meant to be, DICE said as much. I have different expectations for that series, it is very different from the core Battlefield series.

I think BF3 is going to be more like BC2 than you might realize. Just sayin'. :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Whatever, argue all you want, my point is that MAG is a PS3 exclusive and also a Good Game. There is no excuse for not having all the major exclusives right at the top of the OP's game list, because they are the major thing that differentiates the PS3 from the other two major platforms.

Same reason God of War 3, Infamous, Motorstorm, and MGS4 should all be there right at the top, instead of loving Bayonetta, whose worst version is on the PS3. It's embarrassing.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 5, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bought a PS3 today since my 360 decided to break. Got Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 and the new Fight night. Having played Yakuza 2, should I get 3 before playing 4 or just skip it? Loads of games in the OP that look like they'll appeal to me, I take it Castlevania, NIER and Shadows of the Damned are worth picking up since they're in the OP? I want to get LA Noire and there are probably a few others I'm thinking of.

What PSN games should I get? I've played PixelJunk Monsters to death on friends PS3's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Whatever, argue all you want, my point is that MAG is a PS3 exclusive and also a Good Game. There is no excuse for not having all the major exclusives right at the top of the OP's game list, because they are the major thing that differentiates the PS3 from the other two major platforms.

Same reason God of War 3, Infamous, Motorstorm, and MGS4 should all be there right at the top, instead of loving Bayonetta, whose worst version is on the PS3. It's embarrassing.

It's alphabetical. it's fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Fuzz has a point. Just because some of these games are old, doesn't mean they aren't worth showing. Titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 are still worth buying for new people, and that's still one of the best looking console games of this generation. Even LittleBigPlanet 2 has been left out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's alphabetical. it's fine.

The ordering is less of an issue than the omissions.

This thread isn't "The New PS3 Game thread" it's the new "PS3 Game thread." As the guy posting above you shows, there are still plenty of people just jumping in, even if this thread will end up being a circle jerk of the same 40 people again. (and God bless all of ya!) Out should reflect that and, for the old games that still have live threads, should list them. And even if they don't have an active thread or a need for one (like Heavenly Sword) the should still be listed in an "old exclusives" list, or even an "older games of this generation" list that nails all the hits, like Dead Space and The Saboteur.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 5, 2011

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

That's quite the list :monocle: is it unofficial zombie month in September or did I not get the memo?

Jose, what kind of games do you like? Easier to recommend for ya then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He already said it's because of the tags. He put everything with a PS3/360 tag in, and still has to add everything else.

Be useful and link the threads so he doesn't have to go searching for them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tamagod Sushi posted:

That's quite the list :monocle: is it unofficial zombie month in September or did I not get the memo?

Capcom's revealing Resident Evil 6 at TGS next week so I imagine they're turning this into an all out blitz. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a demo for Operation Raccoon City this month too.

edit: whoa its sooner than i thought

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 5, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

On the current topic, what PS3 exclusives are there that I didn't mention in my earlier post I should get? MGS4 is the only one I can think of at the minute. Anything not shown in the OP

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jose posted:

On the current topic, what PS3 exclusives are there that I didn't mention in my earlier post I should get? MGS4 is the only one I can think of at the minute. Anything not shown in the OP

Heavenly Sword
Ratchet and Clank (all of them)
Infamous (both)
Uncharted 1
LBP2
Sly Collection (if you never played them on PS2)
God of War (all of them)
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
The Fight (if you get a Move)

Probably a few more but I'm on my phone at work, so I can't look them up.

Edit: And since you're a Yakuza fan, get 3 first. It's awesome, and you will appreciate the story of 4 more. Plus, how can you not want to smack the poo poo out of dudes as Kazuma?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 5, 2011

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Jose posted:

Bought a PS3 today since my 360 decided to break. Got Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 and the new Fight night. Having played Yakuza 2, should I get 3 before playing 4 or just skip it? Loads of games in the OP that look like they'll appeal to me, I take it Castlevania, NIER and Shadows of the Damned are worth picking up since they're in the OP? I want to get LA Noire and there are probably a few others I'm thinking of.

Sounds like you have a lot of games to play so it's best to hold off on LA Noire until it drops in price. No point in rushing as it's single player only, so you're not missing out on any multiplayer community, and it doesn't sound like you're in a drought of games you want to play. I really enjoyed playing through it, though.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I caved and got a year of Plus. This month is just too good. Super excited for RE4 and CVX. I never got to finish 4 and barely played CVX :ohdear:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Jose posted:

Well there's this game called Demon's Souls...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If you're buying a ton of single player stuff just to catch up it'd probably be cheaper to get GameFly or something instead of buying a ton of older games and reselling later.

(Unless you keep games after you beat them, then enjoy!)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

What PSN games should I get? I've played PixelJunk Monsters to death on friends PS3's.

Yakuza has long video recap of the first two games. You'll still probably a little lost at first because it's alot of info at once (I know I was) but you quickly get up to speed.

Nier is totally worth getting. Castlevania and Shadow of the Damned....not as much. They're not bad but I would prioritize them.

Also, I will, as always recommend Demon's Souls. It's not for everyone. It's hard as hell and it has a learning curve some just aren't willing to get past, but it is one of the best action RPGs I've ever played. Do some research first though because, as I mention, you might just find it barely playable.

As for PSN games: the rest of the Pixeljunk games, Lara Croft, Flower, Scott Pilgrim, and Fat Princess are all great. Also Limbo and Braid if you haven't played them already.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Netflix something like Shadows of the Damned. It's a good game that kind of peters out towards the end and has virtually no replay value.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I'm largely after single player games. Going to have substantial amounts of free time as of October and a job that pays well enough to fund lots of gaming. LA Noire is something I'll get later.

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 5, 2011

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Is that Starhawk boxart in the OP official? Cause it fuckin owns

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Netflix something like Shadows of the Damned. It's a good game that kind of peters out towards the end and has virtually no replay value.
Man don't tease me like that, if Netflix started renting games with the same speed and efficiency and availability that they rented movies, I would be all over that.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
In regards to the September PS+ Release list:

Wow.

I think Sony is psychic. I was listening to the 8-4 Play podcast on Resident Evil, and it made me itch to play them again (I never owned them, oddly enough). I nearly bought some, but am short on cash and decided to wait. Thanks Sony!

Also, my girlfriend is layed up for a week or two, and wanted to get her a game she could learn to play and get addicted to pretty quick. "Hey!" I said to myself "People love Plants vs. Zombies, but I already have it on PC...Maybe I will get it a little later..." Thanks Sony!

If anyone out there is bitching about PS+, I hope this finally gets them to see the sense in it. I don't know anyone who has it and has thought it was a bad deal. Any of you guys feel that way?

Sucaballuc
Jun 13, 2003
I never played RE 1 or 3. Might give them a whirl, seeing they're free. RE4 & CV on the cheap might be worth a second go-around too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sucaballuc posted:

I never played RE 1 or 3. Might give them a whirl, seeing they're free. RE4 & CV on the cheap might be worth a second go-around too.

Hope you like tank controls and missing at point-blank range.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
I would rather have had a master of shooting-zombies-in-the-head-at-point-blank-range than a master of unlocking as a main character.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OK good lord Deus Ex is amazing. Was supposed to do all kinds of practical things but ended up playing for six hours straight, and it still feels like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Chard posted:

Hope you like tank controls and missing at point-blank range.

Also in Resident Evil 3, *enter a room* :unsmigghh:STARS *cue running to the closest exit*

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Policenaut posted:

Capcom's revealing Resident Evil 6 at TGS next week so I imagine they're turning this into an all out blitz. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a demo for Operation Raccoon City this month too.

edit: whoa its sooner than i thought

Also Dead Island is out this week (I think tomorrow in the US actually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
edit: I'm dumb; it's in the box art matrix

Mustach fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 5, 2011

• Locked thread