Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Did you miss the part where the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city, because the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city.

IMO, DS2 is way better than the first. It loses steam at the end but the highlights of that game are incredible. To me it was almost an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 like difference. Not quite that great but man is it good. It also has one of my favorite/least favorite enemies in any game. They're so loving annoying but any scene with them is awesome.

I've been watching these comic cutscenes but they feel rather dumb to me, like they're forcing way too much info in too short a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

axleblaze posted:

IMO, DS2 is way better than the first. It loses steam at the end but the highlights of that game are incredible. To me it was almost an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 like difference. Not quite that great but man is it good. It also has one of my favorite/least favorite enemies in any game. They're so loving annoying but any scene with them is awesome.

I think DS2 may have been a better game in many ways, but for me at least DS1 was a better experience.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MUFFlNS posted:

You download your PS3 games and play them on a PS3 running CFW don't you? That might be why you're getting a bad framerate and stuff since I don't recall the game having those issues back when I played the retail version.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not all the time, just in the intro. It seems fine now. I just did the thing with zeke.

Question... deflected. :c00l:

I've seen a couple of reviews of the Team Ico Collection that mention that Shadow of the Colossus is now "finally" able to be played in 16:9. I'd just like to point out that the PS2 version does, in fact, have a 16:9 option. Someone obviously doesn't use their options screens, apparently.

...! fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 29, 2011

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Chard posted:

I think DS2 may have been a better game in many ways, but for me at least DS1 was a better experience.

I haven't played DS2 but I really didn't enjoy the end of the original Dead Space at all. Once you got down onto the planet it became really unfun terribly fast. There was just something off about that game for me anyways though. I mean, I really enjoyed the game at the start but the more I played the less enjoyable it was. I can't quite put my finger on why however.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

I haven't played DS2 but I really didn't enjoy the end of the original Dead Space at all. Once you got down onto the planet it became really unfun terribly fast. There was just something off about that game for me anyways though. I mean, I really enjoyed the game at the start but the more I played the less enjoyable it was. I can't quite put my finger on why however.

Don't worry, the end of Dead Space 2 is awful as well! I really do love that game but it really loses it in the last three chapters.

Going back to the first one vs the second one, I think one of the reasons DS2 was so much better for me is because DS1 just wasn't that scary. It had some good atmosphere at times but I think DS2 topped it with some of it's set pieces and with all the over the top crazy poo poo that happens, it doesn't matter as much that it's not scary. It kind of replaces the "oh my god something might be behind that corner" tension with "oh my god this enemies are going to loving rip me into little pieces" tension. I think part of this is that they saw the complaints about all the jump scares and really cut back on them replacing them more with "this is really freaky and violent" type of moments.

It did probably help that I played DS2 on hard, while I played the original on Normal. From what I can tell DS2 is just alot harder in general in having it jump to that from what wasn't ever a challenge in the first one made a big difference.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I got bored of DS1 about halfway through because it's a one-trick pony for scare tactics. I can't really handle scary anything normally, but it just got to the point where I knew the enemies were coming well ahead of time and wished they would gently caress off so I could keep moving.

I'm still kind of interested in playing DS2 when I can find it for $10 in a bargain bin though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jimbot posted:

Wow, they released an expansion for Dead Nation right out of the blue. Anyone try it out?

Just wanted to chime in on this. There doesn't seem to be any semblance of story. It's presented as a score attack mode more than anything. Each level is called a "Round." There's bonuses for multikills. At the beginning you get to pick your path: one has more ammo and supplies, one has more health, and one has more zombies than the others. Also, you don't buy your guns. You run across these "vending machines" and pick one gun to unlock. Then you upgrade as usual. There doesn't appear to be any armor to pick up. Also you are timed during the level but there's little room for exploration so it's pretty much just move forward and kill as fast as you can. At the end of the level you're graded on your kills per minute and given a reward for each milestone you pass. This is all just after a really quick look as it's pretty late and I need to get to bed.

Basically, it's more top down zombie killin' from Housemarque and if you can't get enough of the gameplay from the campaign, then go ahead and get it. I like it already but I'm a bit of a twin stick shooter junkie.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 29, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's the story with this Castlevania. Do I ever get less clunky and slow? I'm Feeling pretty poo poo about it at the start.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

OK, so Deus Ex is officially on my poo poo list. It refused to give me two trophies I know I earned. Thanks for nothing, game. :mad:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Don't worry, the end of Dead Space 2 is awful as well! I really do love that game but it really loses it in the last three chapters.

I was truly disappointed when one of the developers posted in the Dead Space 2 thread that the writers were basically just making poo poo up towards the end and didn't care about the huge number of plot holes they opened up.

And yeah, the gameplay in the end of DS2 is horrid. I liked the rest of the game but in the end you have no choice but to run-and-gun.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

...! posted:

OK, so Deus Ex is officially on my poo poo list. It refused to give me two trophies I know I earned. Thanks for nothing, game. :mad:

Let me guess, non-lethal and no camera alerts?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
First time playing Shadow the the Colossus and I sometimes run past these weird shiny lizards that drop some kind of shiny orb- can I pick this up? And how?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

First time playing Shadow the the Colossus and I sometimes run past these weird shiny lizards that drop some kind of shiny orb- can I pick this up? And how?
They drop their tails when you shoot them with an arrow. You can pick them up by pressing circle. They increase your stamina.

Not all lizards do this, only ones that climb around on save points (that have white tails). Each save point has at least one lizard.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you manage to catch all the special lizards:

You earn enough "grip" strength to climb to the top of the main tower at the end of the game and see the special ending. Frankly, just google search the ending yourself, I didn't find it worth my while.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

You earn enough "grip" strength to climb to the top of the main tower at the end of the game and see the special ending. Frankly, just google search the ending yourself, I didn't find it worth my while.
I found it to be a fun challenge, really. Also if you get up there, in the garden there's a tree, if you eat any of its fruit, your health meter shrinks. Permanently. Because biblical reference I guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cartoon Man posted:

But trophies :negative:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

spidoman posted:

I just got Ico/SotC in the mail. I've been super excited to play it, I didn't get a chance on PS2, except demos in walmart back in the day. I'm four colossi in and I don't think I can continue. The controls and camera are just so uncontrollable. I've played third person games for decades and I've never had this much trouble controlling a game. :smith:

Does anyone have any tips on fixing my issues (or dealing better), or is it just not my cup of tea?

Well... if you are that far in, it might not be for you.

The first time I tried to play, I found the controls way too obtuse and annoying, and I put it down after the second colossus. Then a few years later after listening to everyone rave and rave about it I picked it up again and found that the controls and camera were now mysteriously fine with me and everything clicked and I tore through the game in a couple of days.

Are you mostly having trouble when you are scaling colossi, or is it riding around and trying to mount them? Locking on helps a lot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Use the lock on button more, its your friend. I also learned that by inverting the horizontal camera control, my brain could manipulate the camera a lot easier. Don't know if this is true for others or just a quirk of mine.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I haven't had a chance to pick up the Team Ico collection yet, but I am beyond excited to do so this weekend. I only played a demo for Ico probably ten years ago, but I've beaten SOTC like ten times - all on my PS3. When I first got it, the PS3 didn't do PS2 upscaling yet, and I had to make do with a SIXAXIS minus vibration. Uphill in the snow. And we liked it god drat it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Speaking of the Team ICO collection: has anyone unlocked the new Last Guardian trailer? I beat SotC on Normal yesterday afternoon but don't see any new material in the bonus section.

I think I'm gonna try to get my first Plat with this game. It'll take awhile, since I don't wanna burn out and you effectively have to beat every Colossus four times, but otherwise they're pretty sane trophies.

Cartoon Man posted:

Use the lock on button more, its your friend. I also learned that by inverting the horizontal camera control, my brain could manipulate the camera a lot easier. Don't know if this is true for others or just a quirk of mine.

I have both vertical and horizontal inverted, the defaults just seem...weird. No inversion for aiming controls, though, because apparently my brain likes to make me jump through hoops.

To the guy having trouble: definitely use L1 to lock-on to a Colossus more, and if you're scaling a dude and having trouble try NOT moving the camera that much. When they start actively trying to toss you off the camera can get crazy, so just wait for that to finish before adjusting it.

On the Dead Space chat, I really enjoyed playing through the sequel. The first game was excellent, but the second really worked for me. Especially once you get the weapons upgraded a bit, you start really catching on to how effectively manage the monsters so you don't get overwhelmed quickly. I need to make a Zealot run at some point, maybe next year when I finally get through all the new games that are coming out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry, not to bring it up again, but I posted pretty late last night.

I got Castlevania: Harmony of Despair on PSN last night and tried it out. I'm not nostalgic for old Castlevania games (nor do I even know THAT much about them save a few of the first ones...) but I'm trying to understand a bit more about this game.

You start off REALLY slow. REALLLY slow. And a lot of the jumps take multiple attempts just to get the perfect timing of a double jump to get somewhere you need to be.

I see you get items and clothes and poo poo. Do these ever bestow stats regarding speed or agility? Because I don't see any indication that your character ever levels up, so I'm guessing any effect you gain in the game is strictly via loot. And if so... do you ever become faster or more nimble? (or attack faster?)

It just seems kludgey as gently caress right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

I got Castlevania: Harmony of Despair on PSN last night and tried it out. I'm not nostalgic for old Castlevania games (nor do I even know THAT much about them save a few of the first ones...) but I'm trying to understand a bit more about this game.

You start off REALLY slow. REALLLY slow. And a lot of the jumps take multiple attempts just to get the perfect timing of a double jump to get somewhere you need to be.

I see you get items and clothes and poo poo. Do these ever bestow stats regarding speed or agility? Because I don't see any indication that your character ever levels up, so I'm guessing any effect you gain in the game is strictly via loot. And if so... do you ever become faster or more nimble? (or attack faster?)

Yes. There are items and abilities which can increase the speed you move at. Attack speed depends on the character and weapons equipped. Heavy weapons are obviously slower then lighter-but-weaker weapons, and there are tricks you can use to attack even faster

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Feenix posted:

Quoting this from the HoD thread:

Garin posted:

Characters level up in various ways but yes, they do so individually.

Soma and Alucard get stronger with base equipment from shops or boss drops moreso since they use SOTN style weaponry. Alucard gets spells from chests, Soma gets souls from monsters and bosses and grows to eventually be the best character in the game.

Jonathan, Julius, Shanoa, Yoko, Maria, Simon, Fuma (I think this is the whole list here) get stronger physically by using their spells and subweapons repeatedly. This is easily levelled by going into Survival Mode with a buddy, but it requires you to collect one Astral Ring in order to use your HP instead of MP for subweapons

Charlotte is the easiest/worst to level up. You have to go find the enemies that cast the spell you can absorb and then hope for the best. It was based on the Luck stat from what I remember, but it's been some time since I played Charlotte.

TLDR: Levels actually matter a lot. Player skill helps if you have someone that's easy to get a weapon for or is naturally strong. Good beginner heroes

Also like ImpAtom said, you'll eventually find gear that lets you get around faster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

axleblaze posted:

Did you miss the part where the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city, because the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city.

I prefer the mechanics of DS2, but I enjoy the story and the atmosphere, general horror stuff, of DS1 better. They're both well-made games though, worth a play through at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So uh...why should I even consider buying a game where the DLC is more expensive than the game itself? I am not a fan of the concept of DLC in general and that just drives me right up the wall, even though I love Castlevania.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Got a hold of Atelier Totori ahead of US goons, thanks to shipping issues; I've dumped some first impressions here in the RPG thread.

Short version: 'holy poo poo I can spend days like water now, aaaaa'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

So uh...why should I even consider buying a game where the DLC is more expensive than the game itself? I am not a fan of the concept of DLC in general and that just drives me right up the wall, even though I love Castlevania.

Because the alternate result is limiting developers to releasing only a set amount of DLC as long as it doesn't go above (x) cost where (x) is the current price of the game? It's fine if you don't think it is worth the cost but your judgment shouldn't be "there is enough DLC to exceed $10/15/20/whatever cost."

I mean, not to be a jerk, but that's a really dumb measure of DLC. It's fine to say "A new character isn't worth $5" or whatever, but especially for a $15 game, that's going to be a fairly small limitation. Even if each level was $2 and each character was $1, you'd still have DLC costing more then the actual price.

(Actually, IIRC, each character is $1 you just have to buy them in packs of two, but that still equals $2 to me.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 29, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Because the alternate result is limiting developers to releasing only a set amount of DLC as long as it doesn't go above (x) cost where (x) is the current price of the game?

Failing to see the problem with this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Failing to see the problem with this.

I guess it's fine if you don't actually want developers supporting their game after release, but considering that I rather enjoyed the DLC for games like Fallout, I'm not too quick to jump upon that. It seems pretty stupid to say "I want developers supporting the game, but not TOO much."

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with saying "This poo poo isn't worth what they're asking for it," but it seems utterly ridiculous to say "developers should only support their product up to a certain amount."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 29, 2011

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Guys all the DLC for Rock Band cost more than the game itself. This is an outrage!

That being said, holding back content to sell it as unnecessary DLC that adds nothing is still bullshit.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

That being said, holding back content to sell it as unnecessary DLC that adds nothing is still bullshit.

That is the problem I have with DLC. It's happened far too often and is becoming too commonplace. Content developed for the retail game is being stripped to be served as "DLC" when it should have been included to begin with.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I recently got the Ico/SOTC game from amazon and come to find out that they put out a special 2 days later that nocks $20 off the price if you buy it with either the Uncharted, god of war, or resistance dual pack. I emailed amazon help about it, and they are going to hook me up if I buy the uncharted pack today. :toot:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is coming this Tuesday to PSN store. No, really, they mean it this time.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just because a game has DLC doesn't mean you have to buy it. If you want the core game, buy the core game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It seems pretty stupid to say "I want developers supporting the game, but not TOO much."

Why? I think developers need to find an appropriate balance when it comes to handling additional content for their games, and it's something that many companies are still doing very poorly.

I think you're saying something a little different than I'm saying, when it comes to "how much DLC is TOO much DLC." Continued support for a game with new content over time is one thing, but then you have situations that are certainly more underhanded and frustrating for the consumer, and that's where I'm chiming in with saying they need to get sorted out.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is coming this Tuesday to PSN store. No, really, they mean it this time.

Who cares about that, Space Channel 5 is coming out next week, FINALLY. ;-*

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

MUFFlNS posted:

The first game never really mixed up the setting or enemies. RE4, had you play in completely different environments/scenarios every few hours.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Egomaniac posted:

Just because a game has DLC doesn't mean you have to buy it. If you want the core game, buy the core game.

Nowadays devs are stripping content from the core game and selling it separately as DLC or a store-specific bonus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Why? I think developers need to find an appropriate balance when it comes to handling additional content for their games, and it's something that many companies are still doing very poorly.

I think you're saying something a little different than I'm saying, when it comes to "how much DLC is TOO much DLC." Continued support for a game with new content over time is one thing, but then you have situations that are certainly more underhanded and frustrating for the consumer, and that's where I'm chiming in with saying they need to get sorted out.

The complaint I was addressing was someone who wanted to know why they would buy a game where there is DLC that, all combined, costs more then the core game. Underhanded stuff is dumb no matter what but in the case of Castlevania, the only real one to make an argument for is Julius and Maria and the Pyramid Stage (all of which I believe come with the core game in the PS3 version), the rest was added over time.

Believe me, I'm not defending bullshit where they cut stuff out of the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

qbert posted:

Let me guess, non-lethal and no camera alerts?

No camera alerts and getting all the ebooks. I made drat sure I fulfilled the requirements for both but the game gave me neither. It's loving bullshit! The game's lucky I was going to do a third runthrough on hard anyway.

• Locked thread