Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

VG-Robot posted:

If anyone out there is bitching about PS+, I hope this finally gets them to see the sense in it. I don't know anyone who has it and has thought it was a bad deal. Any of you guys feel that way?
Yo. I hardly used it even when it was free. Maybe I'm a minority, but gently caress it. The benefits aren't worth it to me.

Policenaut posted:

Capcom's revealing Resident Evil 6 at TGS next week so I imagine they're turning this into an all out blitz. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a demo for Operation Raccoon City this month too.

edit: whoa its sooner than i thought

Oh Jesus. I can't imagine what horrors (not the good kind) Slant 6 has bestowed upon the RE series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.

rizuhbull posted:

Yo. I hardly used it even when it was free. Maybe I'm a minority, but gently caress it. The benefits aren't worth it to me.

I got it when it first came out, so I had 15 months + 1 for network downtime.

It is still running, and I have got back well over triple back on what I paid for it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

VG-Robot posted:

It is still running, and I have got back well over triple back on what I paid for it.
How much do you reckon' you spend on PSN annually?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rizuhbull posted:

Oh Jesus. I can't imagine what horrors (not the good kind) Slant 6 has bestowed upon the RE series.

Slant 6 is making RE6?

I've never been an RE fan, but after seeing what S6 did with one of my favorite franchises of the PS2 era (SOCOM) :stare:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

rizuhbull posted:

Most play impressions I've read online/in the RE thread for Operation Raccoon City are "game's kinda fun, isn't really a Resident Evil game"

Which is probably the closest thing to success Slant 6 could ever reach.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Slant 6 is making RE6?

I've never been an RE fan, but after seeing what S6 did with one of my favorite franchises of the PS2 era (SOCOM) :stare:
Nah, they're making Operation Raccoon City. It's their second console game. Their first being the disaster that was Confrontation.

Policenaut posted:

Most play impressions I've read online/in the RE thread for Operation Raccoon City are "game's kinda fun, isn't really a Resident Evil game"

Which is probably the closest thing to success Slant 6 could ever reach.
Well there you go. So many Socom fans were upset they didn't make a game that was like Socom. Now they're making a game that 's not like Resident Evil.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 5, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VG-Robot posted:

It was +2 for downtime actually. It ends in December or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Well there you go. So many Socom fans were upset they didn't make a game that was like Socom. Now they're making a game that 's not like Resident Evil.

The weirdest drat thing is that they made Confrontation, then spent like 4 years making this and the first play impressions are "Hey it plays like Socom" when I remember people complaining that Confrontation wasn't Socom enough. It's like SOCOM 4 and Operation Raccoon City changed places or something.

I really want to try that demo though, I've been reading that it's good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rizuhbull posted:

Nah, they're making Operation Raccoon City. It's their second console game. Their first being the disaster that was Confrontation.

Ah poo poo I actually remember reading about this somewhere now. I'm pretty sure the gist of it was "Feels more like SOCOM than RE!" :v:

I poo poo you not, that was in the article somewhere. I was like :ughh: when I read that.

Policenaut posted:

The weirdest drat thing is that they made Confrontation, then spent like 4 years making this and the first play impressions are "Hey it plays like Socom" when I remember people complaining that Confrontation wasn't Socom enough. It's like SOCOM 4 and Operation Raccoon City changed places or something.

You beat me to the punch, but I'm just gonna throw in that SOCOM 4 isn't really a SOCOM game either. Bring back demolition and hostage extraction, zipper :smith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Truth be told. The further away it is from a "RE game" the better. I still love the heck out of RE4, but it's time the series moved away from not being able to move and aim and the general tank controls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Truth be told. The further away it is from a "RE game" the better. I still love the heck out of RE4, but it's time the series moved away from not being able to move and aim and the general tank controls.
On the other hand though (and this is something of a reversal of my previous position on the series), the closer it gets to being a conventional zombie shooter, the more games it has to compete with. Maybe it should stick to the niche of the older RE games more closely.

edit: speaking of RE, the other day I was playing Devil May Cry 1 and I was amazed again at how much it has in common with the early RE games, and in some of the ways I liked, like the environment being full of things you can examine, even pointlessly. The fixed camera can die right off though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the other hand though (and this is something of a reversal of my previous position on the series), the closer it gets to being a conventional zombie shooter, the more games it has to compete with. Maybe it should stick to the niche of the older RE games more closely.

edit: speaking of RE, the other day I was playing Devil May Cry 1 and I was amazed again at how much it has in common with the early RE games, and in some of the ways I liked, like the environment being full of things you can examine, even pointlessly. The fixed camera can die right off though.

I really don't think Resident Evil should be regressing, Capcom seems to think so at least if they're calling 6 "ambitious". But then again this is an argument better settled for a Resident Evil thread.

KitFez
Sep 5, 2011

Personally, I prefer the air!

Policenaut posted:

It's really bizarre that SOCOM 4 was released so long after from SOCOM 3, which if I recall correctly is a fairly old game now (I recall picking it up on discount with a USB headset free). Back then, the voice control was top-notch and the game was actually really enjoyable - it's utterly ludicrous how it now appears to not have held onto the same charm I recall feeling in Number 3.

Why did Zipper make MAG when they could easily have incorporated its admittedly powerful tech into SOCOM straight away?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Haha, yeah I used PS+ for the free month that I had it but it's nothing that I would ever, ever pay for.

So Kojima has announced that Peace Walker HD will have online co-op and it will do 60fps even with four players. Not bad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man I can't wait to buy those games again. I am not even being sarcastic.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I really want El Shaddai. I don't know how that slipped past me. I must be getting slow in my old age.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I really want El Shaddai. I don't know how that slipped past me. I must be getting slow in my old age.
Well, as others have mentioned, it didn't get much talk around here because a lot of us just don't think it's a very good game. Pretty, but not good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I beat it the other day, it was a lot better than it was in the demo.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Policenaut posted:

I beat it the other day, it was a lot better than it was in the demo.
In a "the gameplay is fun" sort of way, or in a "I play imports because the plots are ever so cooky, never mind the gameplay" way?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shalinor posted:

In a "this is fun" sort of way, or in a "I play imports because the plots are ever so cooky, never mind the gameplay" way?

I had fun with it, like the basic gameplay seemed to make me happy. The whole thing is about figuring out the combos with the rock-paper-scissor weapon system they've got and the delay/special/evade cancel kind of thing for the moves. It actually gets really hard later on. The game's platforming can be pretty awful sometimes, I found it really hard to judge some jumps later on because the game's bizarre art style sometimes really fucks with the perspective.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Whenever I hear people who like El Shaddai talk about the gameplay, it is usually some variant of "it is not as bad as you think". Well screw that, especially in an action game like this, I want gameplay to be GOOD, not just not as bad as I think.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whenever I hear people who like El Shaddai talk about the gameplay, it is usually some variant of "it is not as bad as you think". Well screw that, especially in an action game like this, I want gameplay to be GOOD, not just not as bad as I think.

Yeah, I was so excited about it and then I played it at E3 and completely stopped caring. It wasn't even THAT pretty in motion... it was no Nomad, or whatever that new Flower/Fl0w company's next game is called. That game is just plain sexy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jimbot posted:

Why? Dead Space 1/2 used the same control scheme and everyone loved those games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Why? Dead Space 1/2 used the same control scheme and everyone loved those games.
That's kind of the problem, in that genre Dead space basically IS better than RE, it does everything the new RE games do but better, I think. However the stuff RE USED to do but doesn't anymore, like, the puzzles and wandering around lost and reading inscriptions on walls and stuff, isn't really done by anything else.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It sounds like a dumb thing, but I was even dissapointed with the documents (what few there were) that you got to read in RE5 compared to the older games too. I liked that they helped to create the backstory. Dead Space was good about this with the audio logs. Although it seemed Dead Space 2 either had fewer, or less interesting ones.

Itchy. Tasty.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Krad posted:

Actually, Dead Space let you strafe and aim and shoot at the same time. Its really what a RE game should control like.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

KitAlexHarrison posted:

It's really bizarre that SOCOM 4 was released so long after from SOCOM 3, which if I recall correctly is a fairly old game now (I recall picking it up on discount with a USB headset free). Back then, the voice control was top-notch and the game was actually really enjoyable - it's utterly ludicrous how it now appears to not have held onto the same charm I recall feeling in Number 3.

Why did Zipper make MAG when they could easily have incorporated its admittedly powerful tech into SOCOM straight away?

MAG was actually supposed to be a socom game. It was actually in the middle of the development cycle when they switched the camera from 3rd person to 1st person, which caused Zipper to go "welp, now it doesent feel like a socom game" and change the title.

There's interviews out there about it. I've never played MAG, I know they have that free thing up on PSN where they'll let you play until you get your guy to level 5. I'll have to download it some time and check it out.

Also as pointed out before, Socom 4 doesent hold the same "charm" as Socom 3/2/1 because while the movement/shooting feels like Socom, none of the fun game modes exist and honestly, I found the map design in S4 pretty bad. There's nothing memorable about the Socom 4 maps, they are all incredibly bland jungle/ethnic cities.

In fact, the only map I could remember vividly from Socom 4 (I sold it) was this one map where there was a bunch of powerlines/generators in the middle of the map. I don't even remember the name, and im one of those faggots where you can show a picture of an Unreal Tournament/Allied Assault/MW1/MW2/Black Ops/Shadowrun map and i'll probably recognize it and know it's name instantly.

Sorry for the rant, I just miss old fashioned Socom :smith: so many of my Junior High/High School days wasted away on those games. Are the Socom 2 and 3 servers still even active? If they are i'm sure there full of people doing lovely exploits by now (actually, Socom 2 was already full of those people a month before S3 launched).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's kind of the problem, in that genre Dead space basically IS better than RE, it does everything the new RE games do but better, I think. However the stuff RE USED to do but doesn't anymore, like, the puzzles and wandering around lost and reading inscriptions on walls and stuff, isn't really done by anything else.

Lost in Nightmares proved that they COULD make a hybrid of both old and new conventions if they really wanted to, but this is Capcom we're talking about here and they'll probably just make some really stupid design decisions with 6. :downs:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Resident Evil Revelations is basically a full length Lost in Nightmares. Only problem is that it's a 3DS game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dead Space is honestly a lot more gun focused then RE4/5, which isn't bad but isn't what I really enjoyed. If Dead Space ripped off the RE4/5 melee engine then I'd be a lot happier. Although I'm not sure how you could do that with the Necromorph gimmick.

blackguy32 posted:

Actually, Dead Space let you strafe and aim and shoot at the same time. Its really what a RE game should control like.

Mercenaries does this too. v:shobon:v It really didn't feel like an improvement to me. It just made it focus a lot more on gunplay and that was pretty dull. Dead Space works because it has a lot of weird gimmicky weapons and so the gunplay feels a bit more refined. Simply adding move-and-shoot doesn't change RE to be Dead Space, you have to redesign the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Dead Space is honestly a lot more gun focused then RE4/5, which isn't bad but isn't what I really enjoyed. If Dead Space ripped off the RE4/5 melee engine then I'd be a lot happier. Although I'm not sure how you could do that with the Necromorph gimmick.

Mercenaries does this too. v:shobon:v It really didn't feel like an improvement to me. It just made it focus a lot more on gunplay and that was pretty dull. Dead Space works because it has a lot of weird gimmicky weapons and so the gunplay feels a bit more refined. Simply adding move-and-shoot doesn't change RE to be Dead Space, you have to redesign the game.

The plasma cutter is arguably the best weapon in the game, and it functions like a basic pistol would. Its so good, that I have only ever used it and the plasma rifle ever. But even still, it would probably be for the better if Resident Evil abandoned many of its now archaic systems of movement. As for lost in nightmares, I am wary about giving it that title yet, since the scenario only has one enemy type

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

Resident Evil Revelations is basically a full length Lost in Nightmares. Only problem is that it's a 3DS game.

Revelations is fine and all until you get to the actual gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The plasma cutter is arguably the best weapon in the game, and it functions like a basic pistol would. Its so good, that I have only ever used it and the plasma rifle ever. But even still, it would probably be for the better if Resident Evil abandoned many of its now archaic systems of movement. As for lost in nightmares, I am wary about giving it that title yet, since the scenario only has one enemy type

It's the best weapon in the game but also the most boring and generic. It basically just makes the game a TPS where you shoot the legs instead. Which is fine, but it got boring for me quickly. Hell, they even said it was a problem that the Plasma Cutter was so good in DS1 and tried to tone it down in 2. (I don't think they succeeded, but whatever.)

I really hope that RE doesn't drop its melee-focused gameplay but I get the feeling it will. RE:R looks to be all about the gunplay and you can't even stun enemies for followup attacks from what I've seen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's the best weapon in the game but also the most boring and generic. It basically just makes the game a TPS where you shoot the legs instead. Which is fine, but it got boring for me quickly. Hell, they even said it was a problem that the Plasma Cutter was so good in DS1 and tried to tone it down in 2. (I don't think they succeeded, but whatever.)

I really hope that RE doesn't drop its melee-focused gameplay but I get the feeling it will. RE:R looks to be all about the gunplay and you can't even stun enemies for followup attacks from what I've seen.

I think RE can have both, but they need to change the enemy AI. No more running right up to you and then slowing to a crawl before attacking

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I think RE can have both, but they need to change the enemy AI. No more running right up to you and then slowing to a crawl before attacking

Another thing they did in Operation Raccoon City.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.

quote:

How much do you reckon' you spend on PSN annually?

At least about $40 a month. I spend a LOT on PSN. This is working out for me great. However, I feel that people who spend little on PSN would get the most out of it--due to discounts and free games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing with El Shaddai is that the demo does a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the combat and most of it isn't obvious either. Like there's a dodge, but bit it works differently for each weapon. There's a counter but you do it by charging your attack. The combat is fairly simple overall but it also surprising deep given it's simplicity. It's no Bayonetta or even a God of War, but it's actually kind of unique and interesting. That been said, I just started the game and I'm not sure if I actually like said combat, I just know that it's more interesting then the demo made it look.

The game is unbelievably, jaw droppingly gorgeous though...which makes up for alot.

Also, Melvin the Jerk, I might be willing to trade or sell you the game when I'm done. I'll have to see how much I end up liking it but there's a 50% chance I'll end up not handing onto it when I'm done. I should know in a week or so. I'll message you when I beat it :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

The thing with El Shaddai is that the demo does a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the combat and most of it isn't obvious either. Like there's a dodge, but bit it works differently for each weapon. There's a counter but you do it by charging your attack. The combat is fairly simple overall but it also surprising deep given it's simplicity. It's no Bayonetta or even a God of War, but it's actually kind of unique and interesting. That been said, I just started the game and I'm not sure if I actually like said combat, I just know that it's more interesting then the demo made it look.
I'm pretty sure I figured out those things in the demo, but it didn't make combat any less monotonous. Enemies just took so little damage from my attacks, it felt like I was beating them with a wet noodle and not god's toothpick or whatever. That's a cardinal sin for action games IMO. God of War also kind of has that problem, but at least the demo of El Shaddai was way worse.

Ninja Gaiden and DMC/Bayonetta are what I want: when you hit an enemy or an enemy hits you, it loving HURTS.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

The game is unbelievably, jaw droppingly gorgeous though...which makes up for alot.

You're not going to have any more luck convincing people than we did. People have already made up their minds about El Shaddai. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Saboteur is really pissing me off right now. No matter what I do, I can't complete the first race mission, which is a time trial race. The fastest car I had was the Altair, which didn't work, so I started hunting around for other cars. I found the Silver Bullet, which is some sorta Nazi trophy car, and that didn't work.

Then I went suuuuuper out of my way to try and get back to the old farm to see if maybe the Aurora was out there, but I couldn't find it and instead found the race track and a handful of race cars, so I took the Beta Romero 12c all the way back and THAT'S not working either.

I need to get from start to finish in under 1:20, but I'm always 10-20 seconds slow. I can't figure out how to get any faster and I can't find any other cars unless I go all the way back to the edge of the map and try the other 3 racers from the track (but they all seemed similar in speed).

• Locked thread