Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All of these reasons are why I like digital downloads. I wish the PS3 offered more of them at the time a new game launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm kicking myself for not preordering Dark Souls.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't mind Amazon, because most of the poo poo I pre-order is either standard edition, or a game nobody cares about. If I didn't have to deal with GameStop/EB Games specifically, and all of their dumb pre-order pushes and "new" game practices, I'd be fine with, and would probably prefer, buying at a brick-and-mortar shop.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

All of these reasons are why I like digital downloads. I wish the PS3 offered more of them at the time a new game launches.

With the PS store that has the same problem with waiting for UPS though: I have no idea when it's going to arrive but rest assured it will be much later then if I just drove to the store.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I'm kicking myself for not preordering Dark Souls.

My local Best Buy has a bunch of the collector's editions so you might wanna try there if that's what you're looking for.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sales tax on the UK copy of Dark Souls is £6.66.

I still don't get it until Thurs. at the earliest though. :(

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
What's this Elemental Monster y'all are talking about?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

BlindNinja posted:

What's this Elemental Monster y'all are talking about?

A card game that's apparently popular in Japan. The base game is really cheap but they make their money off of selling booster packs. Haven't gotten a chance to try it out myself, but I'm not a big fan of TCGs. I might pick it up as a free download thanks to PS+, but otherwise I don't think I'll play it much.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

sentrygun posted:

A card game that's apparently popular in Japan. The base game is really cheap but they make their money off of selling booster packs. Haven't gotten a chance to try it out myself, but I'm not a big fan of TCGs. I might pick it up as a free download thanks to PS+, but otherwise I don't think I'll play it much.

I'm not a TCG fan either, but it sounds like a fun little time-waster. Is the DLC the only way to get more cards, or can you win any?

\/\/\/ thanks, might just check it out

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 4, 2011

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. FIFA 12 - 52 countries
2. Call of Duty Black Ops - 52 countries
3. FIFA 11 - 36 countries
4. Gran Turismo 5 - 35 countries
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 23 countries

6. Modern Warfare 2 - 18 countries
7. GTA IV - 10 countries

Other games showing up in under 10 countries in no order:
Pro Evolution Soccer 11, NHL 12, Dead Island, F1 2011, Uncharted 2, Driver San Francisco, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Tales of Xillia, God of War 3, Rugby Challenge, Dynasty Warriors 6 Asian version, Dynasty Warriors 6 Xtreme Legends Asian version, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Madden NFL 12, Disgaea 4, Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil 5, Infamous, Final Fantasy XIII, Mortal Kombat, Winning Eleven 11, Sports Champions, torne, LittleBigPlanet, Dark Souls

Everyone is playing soccer, except Taiwan and Japan.

Top 5 in places talked about here in attachment.

Agrias120 posted:

Is the "Spend $60 in October, get $10 in November" deal only available to PS+ members?

It's for everyone on North American PSN.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

BlindNinja posted:

I'm not a TCG fan either, but it sounds like a fun little time-waster. Is the DLC the only way to get more cards, or can you win any?

You can apparently 100% the game without spending a dime past the initial purchase. Single player seems to give cards, and playing in online ranked matches gives a wider variety of cards and rare cards. If you lose a bunch of online games, you might have to buy more 'tickets' to keep playing online ranked.

This is all gleaned from GameFAQs posts I just checked through though, but it should be accurate enough.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man...this "Dark Souls" game is really hard. I forgot what it's like to be weak and suck at it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I never got past the first level in Demon Souls, yet here I am thinking of if I should buy Dark Souls.

I'll probably wait for the price to come down though due to other games coming out soon.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. FIFA 12 - 52 countries
2. Call of Duty Black Ops - 52 countries
3. FIFA 11 - 36 countries
4. Gran Turismo 5 - 35 countries

I'm glad to see that nearly a year on GT5 is still one of the most popular online games on the PS3, it really is such a freakin' good game in so many ways. I love how they keep updating it all the time too and going back to try and play something as inferior as Forza is downright painful in comparison. I can't wait to see what the Spec 2 update and DLC release this month contains :)

I'm also hoping that when Uncharted 3 launches the game skyrockets into the top 5 of the PSN too. The early access multiplayer is fantastic :swoon:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: PS2 games are up in the Playstation Store :siren:
...sort of. You have to use the search function to find them. Now it's up.

The price is $9.99 each.

Chrono Trigger is also $9.99.

If anyone here buys Chrono Trigger or the PS2 games, can you give a small performance review? Stuff like if loading times are the same as the disc version, or if the game slows down when it's not suppose to. I'm interested in some of the games, but I don't want to play something that ends up worse than the original disc version.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

:siren: PS2 games are up in the Playstation Store :siren:
...sort of. You have to use the search function to find them.

The price is $9.99 each.
Someone tell me if Odin Sphere still has slowdown. Quick!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just got home and was greeted to the Dark Souls CE in a package for me. Totally forgot that was this week.

Words cannot describe the size and nature of my erection. That is all.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fuzz posted:

Words cannot describe the size and nature of my erection.
Sure they can, you just don't read enough romance fiction.

Anywho, do tell how it is. And how many times you die in the tutorial section.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Feenix posted:

Why would you understand it? You don't know me.

You don't know that I'm 34, getting married in a week, and when I DO get around to getting back from my honeymoon, I will have a poo poo ton of really awesome Winter 2011 games. You don't know that my time is limited, and archaic HD remakes with no effort paid to fixing something as simple as controls just don't vie well for my time.

I turn 34 in a month, so don't use your age as an excuse. I'm not saying that the controls are perfect but given that it's one of the most beloved games of all time, the controls aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. If you don't give the game another shot, you'll really be missing out.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Hey everyone, don't forget that the free Portal 2 DLC is out today!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got all the fruit according to the map but the trophy still didn't unlock. Unless it's counting the fruit at the very top of the temple. There's also a lizard location FAQ on GameFAQs which proves that someone out there has the time and patience to do the poo poo that you don't want to. Namely scour the world looking for lizards. Hopefully I only have 10 or so left.

Tune in next time for more news about my Shadow of the Colossus addictionprogress!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

...! posted:

I turn 34 in a month, so don't use your age as an excuse. I'm not saying that the controls are perfect but given that it's one of the most beloved games of all time, the controls aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. If you don't give the game another shot, you'll really be missing out.

I'm not using age as an "excuse". I'm letting you know where I am in my life and what kind of free time I have on my hands. And the controls are exactly as bad as I choose to make them out to be, because it's *me* making that judgement for MY playtime. They were horrid and gently caress that game. That is all. :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What game are you dicks arguing about?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I believe it's SOTC. Can't blame the guy tho, the controls can take a bit to get used to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

...! posted:

Neato, I would definitely have missed this, I never look at the PSN thingies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

EC posted:

I got all the fruit according to the map but the trophy still didn't unlock. Unless it's counting the fruit at the very top of the temple. There's also a lizard location FAQ on GameFAQs which proves that someone out there has the time and patience to do the poo poo that you don't want to. Namely scour the world looking for lizards. Hopefully I only have 10 or so left.

Tune in next time for more news about my Shadow of the Colossus addictionprogress!

FYI, the fruit in the garden does count. You have to save it for last.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

...! posted:

For once, even the 360 people got it free. Still no idea how Valve pulled that one out of their hat.

I hope that's a continuing trend, and eventually we see the 360-side get Steam too. It would be totally boss to FINALLY be able to cross-play between PC, 360 and PS3. But... eh, probably not this generation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shindragon posted:

I believe it's SOTC. Can't blame the guy tho, the controls can take a bit to get used to.

Just to nip this in the bud, I will say this.

I'm not claiming I'm not being overly harsh on the game. But I got nothing but overly harsh critical judgements to give out in my limited gametime. Especially when so many awesome games are starting to flood the market.

Rerelease a game and leave rear end-faced controls in it = Not worthy of my dollar or my time. If dev can't be bothered, neither can I.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shalinor posted:

I hope that's a continuing trend, and eventually we see the 360-side get Steam too. It would be totally boss to FINALLY be able to cross-play between PC, 360 and PS3. But... eh, probably not this generation.

As awesome as universal cross platform play sounds, I doubt it will ever happen. I guess it will be a fun little experiment whenever the new Counterstrike comes out. Heck, the only thing missing is the X360 crowd.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I never beat SotC, but I made it through half the game on PS2 not knowing crap about lizards and fruits givimg stamina or health. Guess I'm just that effective :smug:.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Just to nip this in the bud, I will say this.

I'm not claiming I'm not being overly harsh on the game. But I got nothing but overly harsh critical judgements to give out in my limited gametime. Especially when so many awesome games are starting to flood the market.

Rerelease a game and leave rear end-faced controls in it = Not worthy of my dollar or my time. If dev can't be bothered, neither can I.

Invert the horizontal camera controls. Bam.

Also you can rebind all the controls in the HD port, something you couldn't do in the original. So it looks like they kinda addressed your concerns.

BlindNinja posted:

I never beat SotC, but I made it through half the game on PS2 not knowing crap about lizards and fruits givimg stamina or health. Guess I'm just that effective :smug:.

... the lizards give stamina and health?! And there's fruit in the game? What? WHAT?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

FYI, the fruit in the garden does count. You have to save it for last.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hope I have enough stamina on this play through to make it upere.

Fuzz posted:

Invert the horizontal camera controls. Bam.

Also you can rebind all the controls in the HD port, something you couldn't do in the original. So it looks like they kinda addressed your concerns.

... the lizards give stamina and health?! And there's fruit in the game? What? WHAT?

You don't understand man. He played the game for FIVE loving MINUTES which is more an enough time out of his busy 34 year old schedule.

And yeah, fruit in trees gives you health, white-tailed lizards will give you extra stamina.

BlindNinja posted:

I just did hard mode without any additional health or stamina. :whatup: (hard mode isn't that hard though)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shindragon posted:

I agree. I have had it since it was out on the PS2 and after I beat it the first time, I only had the desire to play through maybe 3 or 4 colossi.

Edit: Also, jesus loving christ, some of you are defending the game as if its your family. Even on release, there were criticisms complaining about the controls. Let it go.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 5, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I loved SOTC and kinda liked Ico back in the day but for some reason I just can't really muster up the effort to actually play them again. In the past 3 times I've turned Ico on I've maybe gotten 15 minutes worth of progression because I just get tired or bored or confused about it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shalinor posted:

For once, even the 360 people got it free. Still no idea how Valve pulled that one out of their hat.

If I remember right, the disc based 360 games gets one free DLC, but it can't have new achievements. Which is why the PC version (the one I have) didn't have any new ones.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Policenaut posted:

I loved SOTC and kinda liked Ico back in the day but for some reason I just can't really muster up the effort to actually play them again. In the past 3 times I've turned Ico on I've maybe gotten 15 minutes worth of progression because I just get tired or bored or confused about it.

It's one of those games you have to get in the mood to play. It's certainly not something you can just pick up and play. Considering you have to put some time into it.

I mostly play SOTC when I'm stressed out. The music is kinda soothing. Yeah I know.. stressed out, on SOTC. The bosses don't really stress me out as much because I tend to think, well that's what I get for hanging onto a boss for so drat long.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

EC posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hope I have enough stamina on this play through to make it upere.

if I recall right, you need max. So um.... hope you got all those lizards.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
It's not hard to imagine that Steam went to Microsoft and Gabe was like "yo, look at all this special integration your main competitor has let us do with their system. Now we've got this free DLC we wanna give away..." and Major Nelson was all YEAH BRO

jvempire
May 10, 2009
So HD SOTC doesn't have slow downs when you're fighting the bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wait, what's so bad about SotC's controls? I thought you guys were complaining about the horse. Other than that... up is forward, down is backwards, left is left and right is right. What else do you want? <:mad:>

• Locked thread