Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
About Chrono Cross, I remember it being unplayable past a certain point on the PS3, usually locking up on the Isle of the Damned. I don't know if that's only if you're playing it off the discs like I was, or if it's only for certain models of PS3 (mine is one of the original 60 gigs). Did they update the emulator or will the PSN version correct this error? Basically I wouldn't want to pay for a game I already own only to find it won't work on my model regardless. Really wanna play that game again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Chrono Trigger still has the load times. Sorry guys. Same exact thing as the disc.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

It's official: Yakuza: Of the End is coming out in the US under the name Yakuza: Dead Souls.

It'll be out in March according to the comments.
God drat it, now I have to pay money for this. I didn't like the demo at all, but I have to support this series on principle.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Neon Knight posted:

Is there online play for Tekken Tag HD?
Nope.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

Virtua Fighter isn't really like other fighting games. It's the only one that tries to be a fighting simulator than a over the top flashy crazy thing. It seems simple with it's three buttons but the combos are deep and varied and there's nothing an opponent can throw at you that you can't counter but there's also no counter that they can't counter. It goes fairly deep with the amount of moves you can do from other moves and the amount of ways you can react to your situation are staggering.
I can't stay silent during a Virtua Fighter debate, so I'm just gonna go ahead and echo this and say that in my personal opinion, Virtua Fighter 5 is still the best fighting game created to date, and that $15 is an absolute steal for this version of it with such fabulous netcode. Sega is doing right these days.

I don't get the arguments that say it feels dated. It's gorgeous, and the gameplay is as fluid as it gets. Even newcomers should be able to get the hang of stringing together moves one after the other with relative ease. Certainly feels better to play than a janky rear end Tekken (which I like for its own reasons).

The balance and reward for reading and reacting to your opponents is just unparalleled in Virtua Fighter, and makes for a much more organic and engaging experience then just trying to memorize when and how to spam the most killer moves/combos.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 13, 2012

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Son of a bitch, I thought today was the release date for Jet Set Radio.. :negative:

Oh well, at least there's Resident Evil Chronicles. Without a Move.

:smith:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So um. I bought NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 when they came out, but now the PSN store seems to think I haven't. There's no red bag next to them and it asks me to pay for them instead of skipping directly to download, despite them being in my download history and also sitting on my hard drive. Anyone else getting this?

If it makes a difference, I recently reset my linked accounts and set one back up on a new PS3 model. But these are the only two games this seems to have affected. I wonder what gives.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Why the gently caress is there a 24 hour time limit on downloading saves from the PS+ cloud? I beat Mass Effect 1 at my girlfriend's house last night, so I uploaded the files to the cloud, and went to download them to my home PS3 just now to start playing ME 2. But nope, gotta wait until 2:30AM to get the ME 1 saves!

What in the gently caress is that. Thanks for the premium service, Playstation Plus.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I just tried Playstation Home for the first time since it originally launched. Is this thing seriously still in Beta in the year 2013?

Also, whatever happened to the Life With Playstation app?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Nope. It tells you 'show's over' and go update to remove the icon.
Why did they do this? Does Sony have a problem with curing cancer or something?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I might be the only one looking forward to Beyond. :ohdear:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've already discovered the merit (and savings) of PC gaming this year, so I'll opt to just build a PC instead of buy the next big thing from Sony or Microsoft, but I agree that Sony can definitely suck the big one if your PSN purchases dissapear, especially after all this Vita-PS3 crossover stuff they're pushing with the store.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The save does transfer, but be prepared. Mass Effect 1 is borderline unplayable on PS3.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I was impressed enough with the Ascension demo that I picked up God of War Saga. Is it recommended to play the games chronologically or in order of release?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I personally like the modern day story. And they sure as hell better keep going at it after that poo poo ending in 3.

The conspiracy stuff was awesome. Gave the games a Da Vinci Code feeling. Like yeah, you're playing through history, but you're also unraveling the real truth behind it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Fonzarelli posted:

What is so wrong with AC3? I don't play them but I've been watching my brother play it and it seems pretty much the same as the last ones.
I don't get this either, I thought it was fantastic.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I was pretty much a dedicated console gamer and PS3 devotee until last year. The business model for games has become such a well oiled nickel and diming affair, I feel like I'm at Gamestop anytime I play a game now. PC just gets treated way better in terms of paying way less for much better quality. I've been totally converted. Besides PS3 exclusives, I get anything cross platform for PC now these days and will be building a good desktop instead of investing in a PS4.

To put it in perspective, I pre-ordered Tomb Raider on Steam for $45, and it came with free stuff. When it does come out, it's going to look and run much better than it would have on the PS3, where I would have payed $65 to get it new. To say nothing of the frequency of sales and price drops compared to consoles.

It all comes down to preference, as I appreciate the desire to not have to dick around with PC components to get stuff working. But for me personally, the way the business model is now, I can't do consoles.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Man I went out and bought Saga and put a preorder down because the demo impressed me so much, but this isn't the kind of thing I want to be supporting with my bucks. :( I'm starting to get buyer's remorse here.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

I rented God of War: Ascension, how is the Last of Us demo pack-in handled? Is it a code, or is accessible from the game itself?
You rent it again in 70-something days, then press square. That's how it's handled.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Eh, for what it's worth, I think the new God of War is excellent, but then again I'm just now starting to check out the series and I could definitely understand the burnout by now.

Also I'm really starting to tire of the deluge of tits.

Also, why is Kratos such a popular character? He's pretty unsympathetic and unlikeable, and this is in a series that isn't really known for stellar writing to boot.

In fact, can someone explain to me why the original two are regarded as like the best games that ever happened to the PS2? I remember picking up the original game upon reading stuff like that only to be severely disappointed, only now revisiting the series with the proper mindset to enjoy it.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 15, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

ImpAtom posted:

They have extremely good setpiece design, visual quality and general presentation, especially for the time when they came out. They were also very easy to play. They're designed to be like 6-8 hour violencesplosions punctuated by increasingly impressive setpieces.

I kinda suspect that is the new game's problem. GoW3 set the setpiece bar pretty high and going backwards hurts it.
I remember being pretty blown away by the first 5 minutes of GoW 3 when I saw my friend play it, and that was my reaction upon playing the Ascension demo as well, which was what finally prompted me to check out all the games. I agree they're excellently designed and convey a great sense of scope, but the gameplay is so simplistic and unchanging that I can understand why 6 games later, people are over it. Ascension is definitely just a prettier version of the same stuff.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I cannot stand unearned references to memes and old school games. Yes, I get it, chozo statues. Yes, I get it, 4chan memes. It's like the number one indie trope outside of being a flash game, or "8-bit".

That said, the game is still fun. But man, indie devs really need to start getting a little more original. It's ironic how over-saturated that market has become with stuff like this. It's like all you need to do is cram your game full of "Ehhh?? You remember this? GET IT?!" and some simple platforming that's been done millions of times before and the critics will fawn over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Max Wilco posted:

Is Jet Set Radio HD worth picking up? I've heard that the control hasn't aged well, and takes time to get used to.

Additionally, is there any difference or preference between the PC version and the PS3 version?
The PC version runs much smoother and looks better (and has twice as many achievements than the PS3 version for some reason). The controls are touched up a little bit with better camera controls and moving the spray button from the camera button, but other than that they're the same, which is to say you'll either get used to them or it'll ruin the entire experience for you. The HD version also has almost every music track from every version of the game released, barring two or three.

The answer to your question is yes, though. Always yes.

• Locked thread