Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Hooray, a passable Mario 64 clone and two (three?) of the worst games of the last console generation. Now with trophies!

And you just know those trophies WILL include ones for getting all the precursor orbs.

Ha ha. Jak 2 and Jak 3 are awesome games. This collection will be fantastic, i've been waiting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

the truth posted:

skip RE5

Great recommendation. No, there is a lot to enjoy in RE5 and it's safe to say that if RE4 is your favorite game, RE5 is definitely worth playing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Policenaut posted:

It's a pretty valid question, as I believe PAL PSOne Classics don't play nice with NTSC PS3s.

PSOne classics from the US store work just fine on my "PAL" PS3, no reason to suspect there would be any issue with the PS2 classics.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kinkajou posted:

So, is the PS3 version of Crysis any good? I never played it on the PC and I'm curious to try it out.

I bought it, it's quite good. Nice graphics, runs fairly well. Fun game, plays good with a reasonably open level design, several ways you can go about the mission. 10 lengthy chapters, it's a great time, i'd say it's worth the money.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Is Killzone 3 worth buying for the single player? I enjoyed the Killzone 2 campaign very much. Would it be worth around $30?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The parts I remember from 2 are

- climbing through the train as it slipped off the cliff

- fighting tanks in the Tibetan town

- swimming in the swimming pool on top of the hotel going "Marco!!"

...that's really about it. In retrospect it wasn't enough to justify a purchase for me, I think.

I played through it when it came out, and haven't played it again since, but I think I can remember almost the whole thing. The train sequence in particular was one of the most memorable set pieces from recent memory.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sentrygun posted:

Pretty sure it was one of the segments where he stares at you while while you go off to the side and hit some levers or something. I know I wasn't following him because I'd have some actual direction if that were the case.

There are a few confusing parts in the ice cave but you're always in a small area with a limited amount of possible ways to go, not really hard just to look around to find a ledge.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah it was always against the rules to share with other people not the purchaser, or to split costs, I guess Sony have finally gotten sick of people flaunting the system.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I wish Xenoblade came out on a relevant game console. It deserved better then the Wii.

Hey the Wii is allowed to have good games, you know. In fact there are many great games only available on Wii, a console many people own and enjoy!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yechezkel posted:

And more classics confirmed for PS3:

Jak and Daxter Collection rated in Germany, Sony rep confirms collection.

This is awesome, can't wait to play this.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Anyone here play the Tomb Raider games? I love 1 and 2 when I was younger and I just saw the trailer for the new one where you pretty much just have to survive.

Think it looks good, but not if the games have gone downhill since 1 and 2.

Since Crystal Dynamics took over the games have all been good. Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld are all well worth playing, the gameplay and controls are obviously well improved since the earlier games. Guardian of light is also a fun take on the series with great puzzles and fun co-op play. I think the new one looks like it could be really good also, I like the idea of having a whole island to explore.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jamesman posted:

This is pretty much how I felt after playing the demo. I've pretty much never played a Naughty Dog game that was better than average, and the only game that even got there was the first Jak & Daxter.

Did you not play any Crash Bandicoot games on PS1, or Jak 2/3, or Uncharted 2? Calling all those below average games is certainly an unusual opinion.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Harlock posted:

I have to say that makes me not want the system at all then, thanks for clearing it up.

Pretty sure all the touch controls in Uncharted are optional. But if you're not interested in playing handheld games and not interested at all in touch screen controls then yes I see why you wouldn't be interested in the system.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Just a heads-up to anybody who was eyeing up the original Crysis on the PSN store, it's a terrible port. It's playable but I'm of the personal opinion it looks like absolute rear end and doesn't run that great either. It is kinda funny that Crytek feel the need to advertise that it was made with CryEngine however, when the end product would deter potential customers rather than inspire confidence in their engine.

Quite pissed though since this wasn't exactly cheap :argh:

I never played in on PC but i was happy with the ps3 version. Seemed to play fine and look good to me, i enjoyed playing it. So much so i've bought crysis 2.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Uncharted 3 is awesome, I had fun with it. Had its moments of frustration I suppose but nothing I couldn't get through, I played on normal. What a fantastic game, I love the big cinematic feel. I enjoyed the gunplay for the most part and the puzzles I liked because they were at least real puzzles which required a little bit of thought, unlike in most games.

If anyone who loved the first two claims they thought the third was the "worst game of all time" I would have to say they are being a bit silly, or exaggerating greatly.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

This seems like the best thread to ask this in, what would be the best way to find 7 other people for the Bling Brigade trophy for Wipeout HD? It's the only trophy I've needed for a plat for about a year and it's getting annoying at this point.

Also, what's the general consensus on Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I saw it in a used game store and I want to hear some opinions before I buy it.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/wipeout-hd/

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

(In case you can't tell I agree with you, I think it should have gone AC1 -> 2 -> 3 with nothing in the middle)

I sure am glad that's not what happened because I greatly enjoyed the multiplayer in Brohood and it had a great single player too. Revelations aint bad either.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah. I could tell from the videos it was going to be a bad sequel but eh...

I'm super bummed.

Seriously? It's more of a spin off designed for the Vita, but for what it is, it's awesome. Very fun top-down racing game that controls great once you get used to it and it's a very reasonable price too. I'm really happy with it. Has been really well reviewed too.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, the Brutal Combo made me enjoy combat in UC1 more than the other two. There are undeniable improvements in the sequels that make them generally better games but the way UC1 took cover hugging gameplay and somehow made it a constant close combat brawl and gun is really impressive.

Of course, then there's jet skis... :(

Lucky that part was only about 5 mins of the game :)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I paid $15 to go to an art exhibition last weekend, and it only took me less than an hour to see it all! What a ripoff, I don't even get to go back again for replay value.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Same here. This happened to me with Flower and Braid and irregardless of other qualities I felt completely ripped off just on the price versus how long the game was. Without something extra special an hour and a half game is worth $2.50 max, especially given how much I could get out of other games at the same price. And if Sony chooses to never drop the price that far it's no skin off my nose since I'll be enjoying the obscenely large pile of other games that are a better value.

What about other hour and a half activities, is $2.50 the maximum you'll spend for those too? Movie tickets must be a lot cheaper where you live for one example.

e. also why is everyone so big on this idea that a game's value is directly linked to the amount of hours you will spend playing it? do you all look at your watch after finishing a game and proceed to feel ripped off if it wasn't long enough, regardless of how much you enjoyed it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

Are we really comparing movies with videogames for their price value? We might as well compare, I don't know, rock concerts with Rez or something.

Well they're both activities where you sit still and look at a screen, why not compare them, you might buy a blu-ray movie for about $15 and that would keep you entertained for about the same amount of time as Journey and you'd always have the option to watch it again, or play the game again.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

Because one is supposed to be interactive while the other one isn't.

So what? still no reason why you can't compare an "artful" movie-length game like Journey to a movie simply to compare prices. This is all only for meaningless discussion's sake anyway.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

The fact that they both offer different things and people have different expectations of each one make the comparison nonsensical. What I'm saying is this argument makes no sense.

Talking about Journey, they both offer a few hours entertainment sitting in front of the television looking at the screen. The comparison in terms of price makes sense if you were looking to justify your purchase of Journey.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

EC posted:

Are there any PS Minis that are worth a drat? A friend recommended Where Is My Heart, so I picked that up today, but haven't tried it yet.

Monsters probably stole my princess, Who's that flying, The 2D adventures of Rotating octopus character, Coconut Dodge, Pix n' love rush.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What is everybody's thoughts on DLC included in a downloadable game which requires a 100KB unlock key? There's no disc involved but the DLC is included in the original download.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well, if they're on the other side it offers some degree of protection, right?

No because the zombies can just walk around it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That means discussion of games that already have threads, is going to take place, but that's how its been since forever, and no ones really complained.

Well except for the resident thread police Feenix.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

YES, I've been saying this for a while, it's incredibly fun. The only bad part is that it's literally impossible to plat which killed any desire from me to replay it as soon as I finished it. :eng99:

Isn't a game being fun reason enough to replay it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

drat shame about MAG, great game that was released when no one owned a PS3 or went online with it. Sony really should have, I don't know how to say, like re-launched or re-marketed it or something because after the patches it became the perfect storm of being a great game that supports both the Move AND 3D tvs and is a PS3 exclusive (most PS3 games can only claim two of those four attributes at a time).

No one owned a ps3 or went online with it in 2010?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Killzone 3 and MAG are pretty good. Something cool about Killzone 3 is that they realized the campaign and story are the blandest thing ever made so you can buy the entire multiplayer component+DLC off the Playstation Store for like $15. I feel like SOCOM and Resistance may as well be dead.

I bought KZ3 really just to play the campaign and wasn't disappointed, as it is pretty good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, I think Uncharted 3 suffered from Naughty Dog developing set pieces and then trying to fit them into the story rather than writing the story then creating set pieces in it.

So they did it the right way then. It's a game and honestly I think the story should be built around ideas for impressive set pieces rather than the other way around. I want to play an awesome game, I don't really care how they frame it in terms of story. I don't think games should be created thinking what kind of game can be fitted around this great story they have.

All through that video I just thought, who cares. Sure the mysterious villain wasn't explained, but uh... who cares? It's a fun game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Watch out for I am Alive I have it on Xbox and it loving sucks.

I was watching out for it because I think it looks really interesting, and it got decent reviews, care to elaborate?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Just played the demo of I Am Alive. Does the game go to poo poo after the demo? I enjoyed what was in the demo and was just wondering why the game was so panned.

It wasn't panned by reviewers, it has 70 on metacritic, that's not bad.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, there's only a trophy for getting all of the speed run trophies, which makes me think Xzibit was on the design team.

No, there are trophies for completing everything in a level, except for the collect absolutely every single lum medals, that's just a bonus.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

God of War III was amazing, and easily the best in the series I think, but still, lets just let the game go on a high note rather then ride it into the ground.

Nah. Let's have another enjoyable game in the series.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

RE: God of War series

People talk about the Hades Pillars in 1 being ridiculous but gently caress that Ive never had problems with those. The MOST irritating and hard part of the series has to be the loving labyrinth fall in 3. This is loving frustrating :mad:

edit: And naturally I beat it as soon as I post this

No the worst part is the block pushing room in 2. The one with the waves of flames and you have to inch the block forward between each wave all while fighting off endless flaming enemies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Feenix posted:

Why would they be deserving of an angry email?

Because they haven't sent him Prototype 2 yet, obviously.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Sony just doesn't have the same roster of characters to make it nearly as appealing. They've got like 8 signature characters at best and very few of them fit together thematically/stylistically. Cramming a bunch of Killzone and Resistance nobodies in there to pad out the roster is just gonna make it more schizophrenic.

They don't have to fit together thematically or stylistically that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

...! posted:

Ugh, just started Max Payne 3 and I'm already starting to hate it. It apparently has cutscenes instead of the comic book panels so the entire feel is different from the other Max Payne games. This isn't Max Payne. :colbert:

And the cutscenes are super lovely and Max's voiceovers seem really out of place when done over these cutscenes and I'm finding myself tuning him out. Seriously, Rockstar? drat. I'm seriously considering sending it back already and I haven't even gotten to the gameplay part yet. This is so terrible. :(

It's a good thing I don't have epilepsy or these cutscenes would be giving me seizures. As it is, they really hurt my eyes and they can't even be skipped.

Ugh. The game's awesome and the cutscenes are really well done. Seriously? You're complaining this much and you haven't even really started playing it yet? Man what a whiner you are.

• Locked thread