Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discount Viscount posted:

I don't know what you're talking about; this is marketing brilliance.

e: Also, I feel like this picture should be posted in the meme thread for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Code Jockey posted:

I generally think I'm pretty good at Mega Man 2 and 3 [the only ones I ever play regularly] and 9 ate me alive. I don't think I've beaten a single robot master yet, though I usually pick it up, give up after like 20 minutes and shelve it for months.

Haven't played 10 yet.

[I also admit that I'm old as gently caress now and probably am only good at 2 and 3 because of the million times I've played them over the years, since launch :corsair:]

I'm in the same boat as this guy, as far as familiarity with classic Mega Man and (I'm assuming) age, and with 9 I actually made it to Wily's castle before giving up. Ten didn't really grab me the same way, I think because the novelty of a "new" classic Mega Man game had sort of worn off.

Now, if someone at Tecmo wants to make a "new" classic Ninja Gaiden to make up for the travesty of NG3, then please, sign me the gently caress up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Forgot to mention that I have a PS3.

Can MW3 split-screen while playing online?

Don't listen to these morons. I played through most of my second prestige in MW3 split screen with my buddy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stare-Out posted:

Got PS+ for the free games and turns out the EU store doesn't have Saint's Row 2 as a free game. Nuts. :( Ah well, Darksiders it is then.

If it makes you feel any better, I already own Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row 2 for the 360, and I'm a little bummed I can't try out Darksiders for free.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they not give you guys the Darksiders demo on 360? It was over an hour long, an entire dungeon and some light overworld stuff/upgrading.

I guess I just never really cared enough about the game, but now since filthy Europeans are getting it for free it causes my greedy American gene to act up and get indignant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crappy Jack posted:

Avalanche is doing fine, they just released a top-down driving shooter game a few months back that did alright and there have been hiring notices going around looking for developers and coders to work on an unannounced open world game, so it's not impossible that there's going to be a Just Cause 3.

Huh. That reminds me, also gently caress Europe for getting Renegade Ops for free. I would really like that game but not for fifteen bucks. Or a Wii VC release for Jackal, but :lol: at the wasted potential of the Virtual Console.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palleon posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I borrowed it from a friend a few years ago and hated it. The world was too big, took forever to get anywhere, and on normal difficulty, I felt like I died way too easily. But hey, for free, I'll give it another shot, but I thought that it would have been a better game if the world was a lot smaller and it didn't take 10 minutes to drive from A to B.

Also, the game had a gay party zeppelin, so I'm pretty sure your opinion doesn't count.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

abagofcheetos posted:

How are the other free games they gave away? Sideway, that zombie game, Choplifter... are they any good?

I played the demo for Choplifter (which is actually pretty good sized) and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is pretty much classic Choplifter, and it was probably one of my favorite games for my Atari 2600 back in the day, so it just really clicked for me. It's also one of the smallest free games they're offering right now, so if you have any interest at all, I recommend giving it a go.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Code Jockey posted:

Is that what that thing is?! I was on top of a mountain once and saw what looked like a zeppelin in the wwwaaaay distance and was going to check it out, but ended up getting distracted by explosions instead.

Also Yakuza Dead Souls is the best zombie game *peels the gently caress out before the rotten tomatoes start flying*

Yeah, it was by far one of my favorite gaming moments ever, especially since my buddy was there to witness it and reassure me that I wasn't hallucinating. But there I was, grappling onto the edge of a flying barge and strolling up to partygoers who were apparently being entertained by sexy dudes in biker caps and leathers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shai-Hulud posted:

gently caress you guys for getting JC2 with Plus. We don't get it in europe and its still about 20€ on amazon :(

If I could trade you I would. I already have it for the 360 and I'd really love to have Renegade Ops!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, after listening some more to zeke he does sound the same, just maybe a bit toned down. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed how ridiculous he was in the first one :v:

Thanks for the info guys.

I played this game for about 15 minutes the other night and was able to determine that I would not be playing for its deep, engaging plot and well-done voice acting, but rather for zipping around on electric wires and beating people with an electric rod.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's a thing.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/724828/oddworld-abes-odyssee-set-for-a-fresh-hd-remake/

I wasn't expecting a "from the ground up" remake, but more of an :effort: port with higher-rez visuals. This is fantastic news.

The joke will be on you when they reboot it as a grimdark cover shooter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

I donno, I thought this one was kind to newcomers. It has a detailed tutorial at least. That's about as friendly as a fighting game can get.

Yeah, I liked that until it was like "Perform a counter, never mind how!" :downs:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harlock posted:

Dazzler is the only mutant to use. Everyone knows this.

As a child who grew up in the 90s watching the X-Men cartoon and reading various X-comics, I was so confused by Dazzler. Why wasn't she Jubilee?

e: Also, now I have the X-Men cartoon theme song stuck in my head. drat all of you.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 15, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_american_dream posted:

Wish there was a way to bring back the Punisher/Nick Fury beat em up

gently caress yeah, that was awesome. When was the last time something decent was done with that license? I remember the Xbox game being pretty cool, and then a completely forgettable shooter for the PSN came out a couple years ago.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krad posted:

Still waiting for the original TMNT arcade game to show up. And waiting. And waiting...

That's been available on Xbox live for years, and was one of the first Live Arcade games I purchased. Is it seriously not on the PSN!?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GUI posted:

Far Cry Instincts blew me away when it was released for the Xbox, too bad the expansion pack was mediocre and the Xbox 360 port had a reworked incredibly hard difficulty that made it an unfun chore to play. Instinct's powers mixed with Far Cry 2's combat, open world and weapon mechanics alongside a plethora of sidequests would be amazing.
Far Cry 3 looks pretty bland in comparison: regenerating health, level up system, simplified combat and that hilariously bad storyline of a white college kid leading a bunch of savages to victory that the developers seem to want everyone to take seriously (not that 2's story was much better).

If they have the buddy system in place again, FC3 will be a day one purchase. But nothing we've seen seems to indicate that you can choose your character, so it seems like one of the neatest features of the second game isn't making it to the next.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OneDeadman posted:

Infinity Ward exists in name only mostly. Pretty much everyone who used to matter left over the contract disputes a long time ago.

With how decent both MW3 and Black Ops turned out, I'm actually skeptical that Respawn will do any better. It's kind of weird that EA made a big deal about getting those guys and we haven't heard a single peep about what they might be doing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElwoodCuse posted:

We're past WW2 shooters at least, but the problem is now we're stuck with holy poo poo America has been invaded shooters.

I don't know, I'm excited about Blops 2 because of the neat-o near future weapons and poo poo. It's at least a new coating of paint.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yechezkel posted:

No no, it was worse than that in some years. Don't forget the track packs that weren't suppose to be viewed as full games, but were sold as such.

2007 Rock Band
2008 Rock Band 2, Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 1, AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack, Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2
2009 Beatles Rock Band, Lego Rock Band, Rock Band Track Pack: Classic Rock, Rock Band Country Track Pack, Rock Band Metal Track Pack
2010 Green Day Rock Band, Rock Band 3
2011 Rock Band Country Track Pack 2

I don't think it's fair to classify the track packs as "full games." With the exception of the AC/DC pack, they could not be played without Rock Band, and they were never sold at full price (60 bucks).

Also, it was most certainly in Harmonix's best interests to offer DLC in some fashion to the majority of console owners who do not have their console connected to the internet. The track packs were honestly a pretty neat idea to that end.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

You say this as if people around here aren't burning up to buy their old games except in HD this time!

Yeah, I hate to be one of "those people," but if they released an HD version of FF12 I would finally go ahead and just get rid of my PS2. I supposed I'd settle for a PS2 classics version, but an HD US release of the "International" version would be completely tits.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

Do you or anyone else for that matter, happen to have a complete save with Game+ mode? I don't wanna go through the game completely fresh again. :(

Umm, deleting the game won't delete the saves on your memory card, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

My god but is Dust 514 just an abysmal experience presently.

Can you elaborate on this? At the moment I'm super interested in this game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

Technically I'm already saying more than I probably should. It goes live open tomorrow so check it out. I'm willing to bet some people like it, but I'm fully expecting this thread to implode tomorrow under the weight of incredulous disappointment. I know it's a beta but I mean... You can usually tell, right??

Oh right, I forgot there was an NDA.

I said come in! posted:

It shouldn't! I wish I could use a PS2 or PS2 virtual memory save, plenty of those on Gamefaqs, but PSN version uses a different save format, so it's no good.

No poo poo? What kind of voodoo magic are those PS2 classics running on?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

boom boom boom posted:

Is this spread in Famitsu implying what I think it's implying?

Reboot of the original Metal Gear? It has the potential to be amazing considering how they've built up Big Boss over the MGS3/Portable Ops/Peace Walker games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harlock posted:

One final prequel game to bridge the gap between Peace Walker and MG1. Maybe play as Big Boss in the first act, then Solid Snake in the second.

Yeah, that would be awesome and a more fitting send off for the now beloved character than the :psyduck: of MGS4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

I liked the gem searching too. It was the Robotnik/Tails levels that I couldn't stand. The E102 levels were ok in SA 1 due to there only being like 4 short levels, but they really drag out in SA2.

Also the Lords of Shadow game wasn't that bad. It's actually compelling me to play through it again. It's visually gorgeous and some of the environments and set pieces really pulled me in.

How the Dead Bog level made it past playtesting is a loving mystery, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cbouncerrun posted:

What do you mean? I didn't really notice anything wrong with it.

The bits where you had to walk through the bog. The ripple mechanics were poorly explained and served exactly zero purpose except to slow your progress.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scyron posted:

I want to cross post this from the uncharted 3 thread since not many people check that thread out;

Also a huge patch is on the way for the game, with new DLC. ETA :siren: August 14th :siren:
http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/patch_113_gameplay_fixes_part_1/
The link also contains a link to the soundcloud page for some exclusive mp3s or some silly thing like that.

Man, I wish they'd come out with some single player DLC at some point. Little mini-adventures or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

Dust 514 just sent me 2 referral PSN Vouchers. I haven't played in a while. I thought (when I played about a month ago) that the game was janky as gently caress. That said, I would be delighted to give the codes to the first 2 people to PM me who GENUINELY are excited about Dust 514. Let me caution anyone who just wants "in" on a beta for something to do. DO NOT APPLY. It's not worth your time or bandwidth in its present state unless you are genuinely interested in this title.

:)

I've been following Dust for awhile and am super intrigued by the concept. I wouldn't mind getting in on that. But I don't have PM.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

Alright sure what's your email?

(This will be the second one and both are spoken for now.)

Thanks a bunch!

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 26, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samurai Sanders posted:

Years ago I thought this and I still do, but I think there should be a middleware company out there that makes models of cities for games. They'd be experts in reading google map data or whatever and making realistic versions of cities that game devs can then alter for their needs (for example, adding more gutters and wires and stuff if its a climbey game like Infamous). That way way more games could be set in real places, which would be awesome for even fantasy or scifi games. Who wants a fantasy game in the magical land of themubria or some poo poo when it could be set in post-apocalyptic Detroit or something.

I think I should note at this point that both Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake feature dead on accurate representations of Washington State. Right down to our mysteriously expensive purple turkey sandwiches.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

eightysixed posted:

I know it's a way old game, but I just wanted to say I beat L.A. Noire over the weekend. I thought it was a pretty solid, albeit different game. Story was quite interesting.

The ending sucked, though.

I'm not sure why you didn't like the ending, but it annoyed me that the protaganist died just as he was starting to get interesting. Also, I didn't like how late in the game they started the dual-protaganist thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

eightysixed posted:

Because I didn't want him to die. Also, yea, the dual-protagonist thing kind of turned me off too.

I felt like it would have worked better if it had been introduced much earlier in the game, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Also, Jack Kelso's character was a walking Noir cliche, so while he was perfectly fitting for the setting, I thought Phelps was a much more interesting character.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious and jarring. If they were going to do that, I wish there would have at least been more scenes building the relationship so I was aware of it, but it just sort of comes out of nowhere and blindsides you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the truth posted:

How can you know if you haven't played them?

Isn't there a youtube video of someone progressing through the first mission of Black Ops on Veteran difficulty without firing a single shot?

e: I like the Call of Duty games but they are the textbook definition of scripted, hand-holding setpiece showcases.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spaz Medicine posted:

Can you shoot gas tanks to make cars instantly explode and flip through the air, like in True Crime 1? This is key.

I played an awesome mission where I was riding around in a car with an assault rifle taking out waves of Triad guys who were riding motorcycles by shooting their tires and watching them flip over and explode. It was beautiful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cbouncerrun posted:

Well, there's the new Lara Croft, The Assassin's Creed Vita game, and uhhhhh Borderlands 2 maybe?

His original statement was regarding open world games, typically gta-alikes, which are often "gritty" crime sagas. Apparently off limits for female protagonists. It's a shame because I'd love to see a GTA from a female perspective, but only if Dan Houser hired a few women writers to help with the story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shalinor posted:

No more so than other games. Activision making the call that they should ditch the female protagonist is no different from the chain of logic that ended with Red Faction: Armageddon having the generic white bald dude.

"Well you see, the core demographic is 30-ish white dudes, so."

... still bitter about it, but it's an industry-wide thing, nothing specific to open-world GTA'ers :sigh:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess I just want to see more female protagonists because it's such a male-dominated industry, and I think that a really well done GTA style game would be a neat place to see it. (Ideally an actual GTA game, with all the baggage that might entail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, poo poo. I'm in the middle of playing Walking Dead Episode 3 and I had to put it down for a minute.

I want to say that it's pretty loving amazing that a game has actually caused me to make real decisions based on emotion, rather than something like Mass Effect where I just roleplay Space Jesus or Space rear end in a top hat.

In this episode Lilly shot Carley in the face, and I was completely stunned. I had been trying to play mediator between Lilly and Kenny (seriously, gently caress Kenny) but I was so stunned at what Lilly did that I left her by the side of the road to become walker chow. Then, later, Duck was bitten and Kenny was (surprise surprise) being a complete fuckhead about it. I was so annoyed with him because of the way he had acted toward Lilly that I basically just treated him like poo poo and punched him until he stopped the train. I told him he should have the guts to put his own son down, but Katjaa insisted on taking care of it. After Katjaa blew her brains out, I told Kenny to man up and put his son down.

This poo poo is intense and I can't believe how good of a job Telltale is doing at creating a believable story, with characters that are very human and relatable, and yet unrelentingly bleak at the same time. They've managed to grasp the "no one's safe" mentality of the comics perfectly, and I'm nothing but impressed. If you've been on the fence about this game, stop it. Get the season pass on PSN or Steam (or XBL, I guess, but it's the only one without any sort of discount at the moment), because this is why we play games.

• Locked thread