Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches
So I bought the PS3 NFL Sunday ticket and just got a voucher for 25 smackers, because Direct TV hosed week one with a huge rubber dildo right up the rear end.

Bloodrayne demo was cool, so was From Dust. Always liked Parasite Eve 2. Nothing else is grabbing my attention. Assuming I have everything older than a couple months that interests me, anything coming up soon that I should know about? Other recommendations? Some of the stuff seems cool but nothing's grabbing me as a must-have, even for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Stelas posted:

How suitable is Skyrim for consoles over PC? Everyone's saying it owns so I really am incredibly tempted to pick it up, but then I won't be able to follow my Elder Scrolls tradition of modding it to death later on. My poor PC badly needs an upgrade, or I'd go straight to the PC version.

Skyrim's awesome. Runs just fine on the PS3. If you need absolutely need it now, you will e fine with the console version.

Like Sistergodiva said, you will probably be able to buy it on Steam for like $20 a year from now anyways.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Random aside:

Kotaku always sucked but I can't believe how hard they are stroking Call of Duty's dick right now. They're working the shaft nice and hard and sucking eagerly. I'm actually impressed with their level of performance.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Tales game

the phrase "better story."

lol

Disclaimer: I haven't played Tales of Graces F. I haven't watched video clips, or played a demo, or even seen screenshots. Still, I can confidently tell you it is a better game than Tales of the Abyss.

Second disclaimer: I have a Final Fantasy avatar. Characters inspired by anime cliches are not necessarily a game-ruining feature for me.

All this said, Abyss' story is terrible. The protagonist is a whiny, self-entitled bitch called Luke, and his main love interest Tear is the silent "no one understands my pain" type. Quite a captivating duo, between them, especially when you realize this is a dialog-heavy game. Spoken dialog, nonetheless, often with lovely voice direction. I am pretty sure that if they raised the decibels for Anise' voice actor a couple more notches, glass would shatter.

Tales games usually have fun button-mashing battle systems that are interesting enough to make me finish the rote stories, but I got halfway through Abyss and quit, ruing the hours of my life I had wasted.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Harlock posted:

PSN+ members get the entire Back to the Future series and Syphon Filter 1-3 this week for free. :stare:

Is that the best PSN+ content update yet?

They were giving away a couple decent games last week too. I think it was that midpriced Lara Croft PSN game (Guardians of Light?) and some decent PS1 platformer.

If you make regular PSN purchases, PSN+ is worth it. I think the total value of the discounts or goods they gave away last year amounted to something like $400+. Obviously you wouldn't have spent all that money, but you will easily get your value's worth.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

The Asura's Wrath demo was crazy, I'm not surprised other people were reminded of God Hand. I'll definitely look into that game when it's cheaper.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 seemed decent. It's ridiculously pokemon: you don't just capture monsters and level them up, but they have different personality types and traits which influence stats.

If they had brought back Lightning instead of sticking us with Serah and Sora-clone I'd be happier, but it looks like it's going to be a solid game nonetheless. The chocobo-lady is amusing. What does Mog do, anyways, when he emits that burst of light?

Also, hurry up and finish Versus-XIII.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Holy crap I've been bored and wanting a game to play from my back catalog of unplayed games. I can't believe I forgot I barely touched RoF.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Krad posted:

Confirmed, Rocksteady is making a Flash game. :allears:

gently caress Flash, Green Lantern first.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

axleblaze posted:

So the bad news is that it looks like Dragon's Crown got dropped by it's publisher Ignition Entertainment. The good news is that got picked up by Atlus. The bad news is that it's now not coming out until 2013 and at a higher price than the $30 price point that is was being released at before.

Muscle fetishists the world over weep.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Lollipop Chainsaw's high mark: Bayonetta

Lollipop Chainsaw's low mark: Bullet Witch for the 360

Even with its pedigree, from the scant gameplay footage that has been seen, I'm thinking it's going to be more like Bullet Witch, with solid if unspectacular button-mashing combat mechanics and a whole slew of gratuitous DLC costumes.

I'll wait on a demo for it.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Sony Smash Brothers would have Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Sackboy, Nathan Drake, Jack/Daxter, Sly, Ratchet/Clank, Snake (hopefully), and (fingers crossed) Kevin Butler.

I'm struggling to name more fighters anyone would care about. Crash Bandicoot? Spyro? A ship from the Wipeout series? Needs some females, they are going to have to reach deep for that though.

I hope they dig deep and get some really obscure poo poo in there. Rose from Legend of Dragoon would be awesome.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, I think they mesh better than this. I didn't think Snake fit SSB, and someone like Kratos certainly won't. Plus, it's easier to take this kind of thing at face value when you're younger. Stylistically a lot of these characters are a poor fit.

Ring outs were a huge part of the charm of SSB and I think this game will be worse for not including them.

gently caress ring outs.

Yes, a lot of the strategic value is determined by ring outs, but conversely tier lists are determined almost completely by bullshit things like a character's ability to ledge-camp.

I'm glad they're getting rid of them.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are you talking about? Who cares about strategy in these games? If you're not playing them to dick your friends over and have a good time you are doing it wrong. :colbert: Tier lists for SSB baffles me almost as much as competitive Pokemon.

My position is of a Smash player who's friend owned an N64/Gamecube and I myself didn't own a Smash game until the Wii came out, and was constantly infuriated by him winning so handily simply because he was better at ledge-camping, so take that as you will.

Honestly, I think eliminating ring outs will both decrease some of the hair-pulling cheapness factor but more importantly increase the chaos of 4-player free-for-all because everyone is going balls-to-the-wall offense instead of worrying about wave-dashing effectively.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

DangerKat posted:

Yeah, that's how it feels. I've read that UC2/UC3 Crushing difficulties aren't nearly as unforgiving. It's frustrating because it completely changes the way you approach the pirates. Why am I addicted to platinums that I subject myself to this!!!

Uncharted 2/3 are indeed more well-designed in crushing difficulty. I platinumed both 1 and 2, and only didn't platinum 3 because it requires an online pass.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Not sure where the accusations of dumb-downed combat come from, it looks fairly similar to standard GoW combat, and the gameplay trailer featured six or more different weapons, evasive jumps and rolls, AOE attacks, and all sorts of stuff.

I don't foresee much of a problem. Obviously some of the combat mechanics would need to shift from single player to multiplayer, but I don't really see the contextual execution-style moves being any different than being able to one-shot someone with a rifle or a grenade in a game like Battlefield or Modern Warfare.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Anyone know if Blade Kitten has ever been pushed out as a PS+ free title?

If there was ever a "halfway decent but no one's really buying this so why not make it a free thing for a month and see what happens" title, that would be it.

Never been free, but then it's still a new title, relative to their usual freebies.

I was an early PS3 adopter, my first purchases were PAIN and Everyday Shooter, because holy poo poo downloadable games on a console!!!111

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

IIRC it's because Sony was willing to make compromises and upgrades to their online system while Microsoft won't let anyone touch Live. Hence, Steam is integrated with PSN and not Live.

XBL has a strenuous approval process, higher royalties, restrictions (file sizes) and associated fees (pay money for patches).

On the one hand, XBL has a broader user base, more centralized integration (voice chat ftw), and a stronger cohesive direction. On the other hand, that central control can also be frustrating to developers used to the flexibility of a self-run PC market or the Steam platform. XBL makes Microsoft a metric shitload of money every year though, so I'm not sure how much motivation they would have to change their policies.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

I'm trying to install the MGS4 trophy patch. I start up the game, it informs me about the patch, but when I confirm the download it gives me the "please wait" screen before force-restarting the system. This has happened about four times now.

Suggestions? My system is not having issue playing any other games, or installing anything else.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

jabro posted:

I don't know but maybe check to make sure that you have enough space for the install? The thing is like 9 gigs or something.

Oh wow. Thanks. I thought that may be the issue, so I freed up like 6 gigs of hard drive space thinking that would be plenty. Didn't anticipate it would be that huge!

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

Spalec posted:

Try deleting the current MGS4 install. You can't use saves from pre-patch in version 2.0 so you may as well delete those too.

Update:

After a lot of loving tinkering, I just said "gently caress it" and did a full system wipe of my PS3. All save files and installs are gone, and I updated to the latest firmware.

The system is still force-rebooting when I confirm the patch download. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

The discussion about Lightning Returns really reminds me of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and yes, Valkyrie Profile to a lesser extent.

You have 13 days till time runs out, and time is in-game currency. Cast Firaga? Costs 10 minutes. Continue? Costs 100 minutes. Run out of time and you can restart with your items and experience intact (or so I would hope).

• Locked thread