Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That's pretty great, actually, and I hope they will keep a couple of guys online just so that they can randomly invade players even after the game is released. You know, just to keep people on their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have to recommend the PSN Bloodrayne game. People wanted it to be like Metroid, but instead it plays more like an old-school Castlevania but with better controls. The fighting has a surprising amount of depth (you have to experiment), the game does a good job of keeping the gameplay from getting stale, and it really gives me this great "just-one-more-stage" feeling. Also, infecting an enemy by biting them and then pressing a button to make them loving EXPLODE in a rain of blood and body parts, and also making any nearby enemy explode in a chain reaction of death, is hilarious.

EDIT: PSN has received some great games lately: Bloodrayne, Renegade Ops, SF3...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dominic White posted:

Seconding the praise for Bloodrayne. It also has a seriously great Castlevania: SOTN-ish soundtrack, which you can get for free (or whatever you want to donate) here. Even includes NES versions of all the tracks, which are unlockable in-game via a cheat code.

Wayforward are one of the best old-school studios out there. Really looking forward to their Aliens DS game at the end of the month, which WILL be Metroid-style.

Bought and downloading it right now :D

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dominic White posted:

On a bizarre note, the IGN review for the game (while glowingly positive on all other fronts) marked it down for the soundtrack. Apparently goth-metal just doesn't fit a Castlevania-esque game, according to that guy.

Man, gently caress that guy.

That's better than marking the game down for not being a Metroidvania when they never claimed it to be one. It would be more understandable to me if he ragged on the last three levels, because holy crap does the game get hard, no holds barred. Especially the last level is hilariously dickish - limited visibility, a hard platforming segment followed by a tough encounter AND another platforming segment with no checkpoint in between, AND you have to do this while walking LEFT instead of right like usual. It was like playing Super Meat Boy at times (and it felt as good when I finally beat it). The last boss was no push-over either, and the end I felt like a goddamn master at Bloodrayne.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 22, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In other news, Enslaved won't get a sequel due to low sales. Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades says they had plans to expand Ninja Theory into two teams but that because of the sales this didn't happen and they have to focus on the DMC reboot.

I honestly fail to see why Enslaved should have gotten a sequel - the story is told and better left as is, same as Heavenly Sword. This is still a bummer, though, I loved Heavenly Sword and Enslaved wasn't exactly bad, just unfinished. I hope DmC does well so NT can continue making gorgeous games with amazing animation and story telling and, hopefully, more polished and involving gameplay.

EDIT: The takedown animation pictured in the article might be the most hilarious, over-the-top, plain bad-rear end thing I've seen in a game. It has to be seen in motion to be believed.

EDIT2: Now I'm kind of regretting trading the game in after beating it the first time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 23, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shindragon posted:

Much as I have disdain for Ninja Theory, (more so of Capcom going with them for dmc) it does suck that their sales weren't' that great for Enslaved. But this is one of the reasons why I still question Capcom's move to go with them. With the high expectations of wanting DMC to sell 5 mil or higher makes it very hard for Ninja Theory. I rather they not be berated not being able to sell that high, when they do have a track record of not selling very well or meeting low expectations.

The biggest problem is rather that fighting mechanics isn't really Ninja Theory's strongest aspect, it's the storytelling, environments, and animations that are their selling points. I like NT, but they really need to step up their game if they want to reboot the DMC franchise.

EDIT:

BTW, Might & Magic is discounted at PSN now, are the changes worth the price or should I just stick to the portable DS version?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 23, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I preordered ICO/SotC seven months ago and I beat the PS2 versions several times each. I can't wait :3:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sucker Punch have announced an Infamous 2 Mission Editor Competition. You have to create a "Narrative" mission and submit it before October 25nd. To make the cut, the level must have a user rating of 4.5 stars and have at least 15 ratings.

"One grand prize winner will receive a one-of-a kind Good and Evil Cole statue from inFAMOUS 2, their mission featured in-game as a highlighted mission, $1,000.00 in PlayStationŽStore credit in the form of a voucher (voucher will be emailed to the winner’s email address that is linked to their PSN ID), a signed copy of inFAMOUS 2 by the Sucker Punch team, and the winning mission will be highlighted on the PlayStation Blog. Two runner-ups will each have their designed mission featured in-game as a highlighted mission, $100.00 in PlayStationŽStore credit in the form of a voucher , and the mission highlighted on the PlayStation Blog."

I really want to enter, but creating missions takes a long time if you don't know precisely what you're doing. I've only created one mission before - it took around six hours + some tweaking and you can beat it in one minute... Are there any creative Goons here who wants to give it a try? Or if you don't want to mess around with the mission editor you can come up with some ideas others can use!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

EC posted:

I was posting a lot about this a week or so ago, and I think I'll go back and load up a PS2 save to see if there's an actual difference. Number 15, specifically, seems to shake a HELL of a lot more than he ever did. I literally spent 45 minutes on him on hard mode. Granted, I wasn't getting any additional stamina or health and just playing straight through. But goddamn.

Trophy tips: don't bother with finding fruit until you've maxed your stamina. The quickest way to max stamina is to burn through colossi as quickly as possible, so do that. Collecting all the lizards is painful and slow as hell, not to mention buggy (so is collecting the fruit for that matter). If I had to do it over again, I'd go: Normal Mode, Time Trials (to unlock items), then NG+ until your stamina is maxed, THEN use the fruit lizard maps to get those trophies.

Even using the FAQ, finding the lizards is the worst loving thing in the world.

I've been out of the country for a week, so I think I'm going to stop playing SotC until I get bored by new games and feel like coming back. When I finished playing my last session, I was beginning to feel a bit abused.

After reading the trophy list for ICO/SotC I decided to simply not bother. I recommend everyone to just play the games and not worry about the trophies, they are just not worth the trouble.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've been playing Payday, and even though it's a technologically "rough" game (10+ year old stock audio clips, really?), it's actually pretty fun! Or it would have been, if people would actually heal squadmates, tie down hostages or help out with objectives at all. Teamwork is essential!

Hostages are really important since if one of your squadmates is "killed" (or rather captured) you can trade a hostage for a respawn. If you don't have any hostages left, you have to wait for about 2 and a half minutes. If you don't use them up, you get bonuses after the heist.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really hate qtes and I just saw something during a cutscene in Uncharted 1, can I ignore them?

There are like three of them, so it's not so bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's been confirmed by a bunch of people who've played the game.

If that's true I'm glad I skipped preordering the game. The replay value of those games are low enough even with all those things!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aphrodite posted:

It does have multiplayer.

I just bought BF3 so I really won't have time for any Uncharted MP. Coop was pretty fun in UC2 but half the time you couldn't progress because of trolling players. So I'll just wait until they lower the price. No rush.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just played the Rayman demo and now I want to give Ubisoft my money. All of my money.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

Remember Kingdom Under Fire 2? That big multi-million dollar Korean Action RPG / RTS with MMO elements that's been in development for about 6 years now?

Well Blue Side remembered that at some point they'll have to meet their expected 2013 release date and decided to remind everyone their game exists with a 7 minute long in-game trailer featuring a new character, the MMO town thing (that's kinda creepy), and a large heaping of action footage. No RTS gameplay because that's not trailer friendly, but plenty of giant armies clashing together as a result of it though.

It'd be nice if this game actually came out at some point before the PS3 is over, you know?

I like how they obviously spent more time on animating bouncing boobs than proper lip syncing... Other than that it looks alright, I guess. I might've been interested if it weren't Korean and doomed to be a boring slugfest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The story and characters in VC aren't half bad, as long as you take it for what it is and just roll with it. It doesn't go overboard with the goofiness and most of the characters are actually pretty charming. Just don't take it seriously, even if they try really hard to tackle heavy issues at times. They went way too far by including god-drat concentration camps but other than that I had no qualms with the story.

The proposal scene was about the corniest thing I've ever seen but instead of rolling my eyes I had this big goofy grin on my face :unsmith:

It's definitely one of the better "anime" games out there, just don't expect a "mature" re-imagining of WW2.

I couldn't stand VC2, though. Now that game takes the goofiness of VC and cranks it up to 11, but with none of the charm of the original.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 1, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bleep posted:

I used to have a roommate with an Xbox 360, and I played the demo for Bayonetta on 360 before trying it on PS3. The difference is huge and I personally think it affects the gameplay experience. To me playing an action game of that kind with a low, unstable framerate would be like playing a fighting game with a low framerate. Getting as much information as possible out of a constant high framerate is important and I find it extremely unacceptable when games like MvC3 are not locked at 60fps on PS3. You can play through the game fine, but the more you delve into the systems and try to dig into the combos and playing on higher difficulties for high scores, the ability to time and react to whats happening on screen is diminished. If I am remembering correctly, it also has less contrast making it muddier and more difficult to parse what is happening on screen.

If you have no option to play Bayonetta on 360, it's a fantastic game on PS3 still and very much worth playing. I do however find it aggravating when people give out misinformation about it's performance on PS3.

Yeah, there are two or three parts that have terrible, terrible slowdown. One of those parts involve a lot of platforming. And the game actually looks bad compared to the XBOX version, and I wish they would release a better version one day. Vanquish looked excellent on the PS3, so I know it can be done.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just wanted to tell all Swedish goons that you can buy Rayman Origins at game.se for a third of the price on release (199:-), shipping included. Paying 599:- was insane but now there's no excuse not to buy it!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are two new gameplay clips from the DMC reboot on GT.

The fighting looks better than in Ninja Theory's earlier titles, the music fits the DMC brand, and the jumping segment in the second clip is beautifully presented. I doubt hardcore DMC fans will see this as a worthy successor but I'm definitely intrigued. Hopefully NT will be able to make the game both beautiful to look at and to play this time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about that anime based off VC1, like weird poo poo being in it such as anime love triangles that weren't even in the actual game. And like an episode dedicated to that creepy beach bonus mission.

Sega could have done something cool if they wanted to capitalize on a current anime with that franchise, like how Atlus is doing Persona 4 The Golden for the anime.

They also made every character twice as dumb (no mean feat!) and gave the most popular squad members bigger roles. In the game most of the worst stereotypical characters were confined to the gameplay portions, but with the anime and VC2 they started having dialogues. This was not a good thing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 13, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You guys are nuts. If they used that song whenever you rode on a chocobo it would be the funniest thing ever. This isn't your granddad's Final Fantasy!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Code Jockey posted:

Well, finally beat Valkyria.

Maximilian got kind of stuck in one of the fallen chunks of lance, I basically "skipped" two turns to build up SP then ran the Shamrock up his rear end. Apparently he's vulnerable to the Link Belt, at least enough that a full set of SP was enough to drop him in one turn. A lame, lame way to beat him, but drat it, that malarkey with the aiming was driving me nuts!

Despite my whining this was a fantastic game. Listening to the credits now and something I didn't mention before is that it's got a pretty great soundtrack, too.

AWWWW Varrot married Largo! And Rosie visits Isara's grave and Welkin and Alicia's kid's name is Isara. Maaaaan :unsmith: This game really, really did a good job making me care about its characters. The only way it could've ended better is if they added "... Also, Largo and Varrot ate the pig at their wedding"

Also, no one in Squad 7 perma-died. I am best commander.

Now just pretend VC2 doesn't exist - that game soured me on the whole VC brand. VC is goofy but mostly in a good and charming way. VC goes way too far and ends up being really annoying.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 14, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

EC posted:

You might want to find all the glyphs and do the puzzles, but the reward for that is a really short video and that's about it.

It was pretty fun trying to figure out what the final video would be when unlocking the short clips, though. Much better than the crap that was in Brotherhood.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Played a bit of Malicious today and it's pretty cool. You get to choose in which order you tackle the stages. Every stage is a boss fight, and beating each boss gives you different upgrades which are really necessary since the difficulty is raised every time you beat a stage. If you die you can use one of your three continues which simply revives you, keeping you progress, or simply start from the beginning of the fight. You only have three continues for the whole game (five or six stages, I think) so you need to conserve them. What's cool is that the upgrades substantially alter the way you play the game - for example the first boss I beat gave me the ability to air jump eight times in a row, and spawn wings that allow you to fly indefinitely.

Unfortunately the camera is crap and the game very often suffers extreme slow-down. I'm still recommending the game, though, because it's pretty fun and unique, and I want the developers to release a similar game but without the slowdown and lovely camera.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, if it weren't for the over the top nature of the villains, I'd have found Heavenly Sword to be entirely incredible. Playing them as just straight up "GRARR I AM EVIL" bad guys would've been boring as hell, but taking the opportunity to give them some real and unexpected characterization made them entertaining and fun to watch.

I'll never get bored of the scene where they introduce all the villains (when Serkis is chewing them out) or the one where Serkis kidnaps the main character's dad. They're so delightfully hammy and full of personality.

Here's the scene with the villains and and a short clip.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 8, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SamBishop posted:

How are you guys not talking about Kara right now?

That was pretty awful to be honest. It had the subtlety of a sledgehammer and didn't sell me to the tonal shift at all.
They can make it how pretty they want but if the writing is lacking it all falls apart. Not that it matters since it's
just a tech demo anyway.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 8, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, the Brutal Combo made me enjoy combat in UC1 more than the other two. There are undeniable improvements in the sequels that make them generally better games but the way UC1 took cover hugging gameplay and somehow made it a constant close combat brawl and gun is really impressive.

Of course, then there's jet skis... :(

I liked the jet skis! I wish Naughty Dog would let me control a vehicle again...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wouldn't pay $15 for it either, so I've posted in the PSN Game Sharing thread *hint hint*

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My buddies and I used to play the first DOA on my PSX for hours and hours in high school. It was very simple and countering was even easier than in the later games, which made sure the fights were quick and intense - you had to play mind games with your opponent instead of relying on combos or complex attacks! The stages were surrounded by mines and anyone who stepped on one would fly twenty feet into the air, and each character had a ton of unlockable costumes. Good times.

You could also turn off the bounce which was a huge bonus, because the effect looked really, really awkward.

Edit: The music for Ayane's stage was really kick-rear end, as well.

As for Zack's stage music, well...

If they can capture even some of the fun I had with the first game I'm definitely pick DOA5 up.
Tekken Tag T2 is pretty tempting, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 5, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The gameplay is fantastic too, I've never had so much fun with super powers in a game before. Make sure you go the "good" route for the most fun powers IMHO.

I do feel the random pedestrians were more vocal and had more character in the first game, though. I felt so nice having people cheer for you :unsmith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Parkingtigers posted:

Play on casual, learn to fly the parachute using grapple boost, and be a colossal dick to everyone wearing a uniform. The hours will just loving fly by, trust us.

Or you will grow bored of destroying the same things and killing the same brain dead enemies after a couple of hours and never playing it again. It just felt like completely lifeless, pointless, repetitive nonsense. If you're getting it for free, go ahead, though. It WAS pretty fun for those first couple of hours.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

...! posted:

Wait, you guys think Renegade Ops is hard? Did they force a higher difficulty in a patch or something? Not trying to be smug, but seeing people having trouble with Renegade Ops kinda baffles me.

I had some trouble with the last stage, if I remember correctly. I wouldn't call the game easy, though, it's not like you can mess around without paying for it, not even on normal.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
By the way, did anyone buy the latest Spider-Man game? Is it any good? I really enjoyed the movie so I was thinking of giving it a shot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shalinor posted:

At least I smiled at the jokes / tone. If the gameplay's at least up to Wolverine standards, that is a character I could stand shooting some dudes with.

The "pew pew pew" part god-drat made me laugh like mad because I'm literally a five-year-old child.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just pre-ordered Ni No Kuni (Wizard Edition) complete with a 300 page bestiary / spell book and a plushie. I feel like such a god-drat nerd, but also sooo good at the same time. If the game sucks I'll at least have the kick-rear end book. It's gotten some decent review, at least.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 24, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Uncharted 3's story is a non-engaging mess that didn't resonate with me at all. It didn't help that the game bugged out for me several times and that the big reveal is even more stupid than in the first two games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aphrodite posted:

The water in the city is tainted by a Djinn's prison (Basically a magic lamp) that made anyone who drank it hallucinate and see other people as Djinn, so they basically destroyed themselves. Sully gets shot and dies but that turns out to be Drake hallucinating. The supernatural enemies are Djinn, but they're not real. He's imagining them and it's really just Marlowe's men. Doesn't make them any less annoying to fight, of course. Superpowered bastards.

There's also the business with the poisonous spiders that protect the places you go to, and seem really important to the plot, but are then unceremoniously dropped and forgotten about by the time you reach the last area. I was convinced the bad guy used the poison from the spiders to control people, but the drug seems to have the same effect as the Djinn poison so I have no idea what they wanted to do there. Perhaps the spider poison and Djinn poison are the same? But that would make even less sense. And why the hell would a powerful crime boss like Marlowe spend so much time and resources to get her hands on a hallucinogen?. I'm sure there are many other drugs she could use to control people, like say, the one she is already using, with a dartgun no less!

So much stupid, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I still can't believe I had to go into the options and turn on "Alternative control" or whatever to make the game playable (it made the aiming feel more like UC1 and 2). I struggled with the dreadful loose aiming through half the game before I found out that option existed. Awful.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

axleblaze posted:

The spider thing really wasn't a plot hole and I don't really know why people care so much. When Indiana Jones gets dripped into an ancient tomb full of snakes, do you complain about where the snakes came from. It's simply a thing that would add nothing to take time out to bother explaining.

Marlowe had a conserved spider in the library, and the same spiders show up in locations connected to the mystery, including an abandoned mansion in frikkin' France. Yes, I definitely got the vibe that they were important. The poison thing is just conjunction on my part, though. I assumed the bad guy got the poison from the spiders. I wouldn't have objected if they had only showed up in the tomb with the puzzles, and if Marlowe didn't have one of them in her study.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BlindNinja posted:

I still greatly enjoyed the game , and the multiplayer is tons of fun. The formula is tried and true, but I think it become pretty tired in 3. Can't wait for the remake on PS4 (and The Last of Us)!

Does anyone know if it was Naughty Dog's B-team who worked on UC3, so that the main team could focus on Last of Us? That would explain quite a lot.

EDIT: The wiki on LoU says they split the UC2 team so they could work on LoU and UC3 separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

blackguy32 posted:

Imagine playing it when the game came out because that option was added in a patch I think about a month later. That being said, I really do love the game's coop modes.

Did the testers fall asleep on the job or something?

• Locked thread