Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
The races are also incredibly loving easy, probably easiest part of the game, though one of the racing story missions does apparently have a bug in it where an important npc keeps getting run over, but that never happened to me so i guess there's a way around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Ok, so it turns out all the criticisms aimed at Dungeon Siege 3 don't really affect me in the slightest as i'm finding it an excellent purchase (£10 is an absolute steal)

I notice it's made by obsidian, did they work on the engine or was it an already established one, because it's probably the least buggy game of their's that i've ever played. Writing isn't too bad, though not up to their usual scratch the stonebridge clockwork golems are amusing though

Also...gently caress, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Saints Row the 3rd, Disgaea 4, it's a good year for hopefully high quality sequels. It's a bad year to be dirt poor also :smith:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Where are you seeing it that cheap? Amazon has the 360 version for $34, which isn't bad, and the PS3 for $40-ish, but not seeing anything lower.

... and here I could make a joke about the US dollar just being that weak, but no, seems it at least isn't quite that bad.

Very specifically a Tesco store in England for £12 minus 10% staff discount, that's how. I'm pretty sure i ripped someone off but that company has been loving with my hours for the past two years so gently caress it. Got Bayonetta for £9 off them about six months ago as well. They're selling Infamous 2 for £42 though so it's only somethings that are a good deal on very few occasions.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I nearly gave up at this too. It's really loving hard, and requires a lot of luck. Just memorize the positions of things and pray for good luck. :/ The rest of the game is totally worth that bullshit though, I promise.

Also, that loving NPC. :argh: He got me a few times.

e. Also, if I recall, it's a good idea to fire in short bursts and aim at the drivers of the cars to disable them. Also later on, I want to say some cars have machine gunners hanging out the sides, take them down too obviously. I think killing drivers disables those bastard Gestapo machine gunner cars, which were my biggest problem by far.

I had to restart from checkpoint about a dozen times, which was not cool, but each time i managed to get a little further, so I don't know if that's just dumb luck or maybe the game giving you a little extra resistance each time, but I agree, an absolute poo poo of a mission. The solemness of the final mission really was fantastic, even if it wasn't really a proper mission, sort of similar to the end of Red Dead Redemption, it was more a means of tying off the story then actually positing one final challenge to the player.

I have one Platinum only, for AC2, but The Saboteur is the next closest percentage to plat for me, I just need to blow up all of paris, and a few trophies are going to need restarting the game, so i'll probably never get there.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Stelas posted:

Since I'm done with DX for the moment and Disgaea 4 isn't out here for a month and a half (:argh:) I restarted Atelier Rorona to try to finish it properly and get myself stoked for the sequel. Somehow, I've entered some magical zen of anime shop tending; I'm barely finished with the first year of three and half the town is at maxed out trust. I blame all that time training on Reccetear.

Motherfuck. I need to read a guide because i'm doing so poorly with trus levels, and i keep defaulting on friend quests because i can't find high quality items.

Dungeon Siege 3 rage time. Why are there no potions in this game? I'm fighting The Dapper Old Gent and he's throwing all kinds of poo poo at me, my allies are getting whipped, i'm down to red 90% of the time and there aren't any checkpoints because there are so many save points and gahmotherfucker

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Harlock posted:

As far as I know (they didn't say much), it's just an HD spitpolish. But if you've never played the international version, maybe that's the one they'll release - which has new stuff in it.

For British goons, the International version is the one we got by default

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-dai-2-ji-super/720926

Super Robot Wars on PS3. Looks cool. I love the crisp graphics.

Never coming to the west :smith:

Also, it amuses me greatly that the top fives for various countries are all CoD's and Deus Ex and Fifa etc and i'm still playing girly alchemy games.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

If you want Anime: The SRPG then get Record of Agarest War.

... good lord. I actually like anime and this poo poo's just too much for me. Handsome young hero rebels against his own army to protect underage elf girl within like the first 10 minutes, and soon after comes the parade of scantily clad anime babes and dramatic ellipses, ie "Leonhardt...". It's a collection of pure distilled terrible anime tropes compiled into a PS3 game. It's reeeeeally cringe-worthy. Plus I've been spoiled with Disgaea's combat system, so I'm having a hard time putting time into Agarest.

Just part ex'd this for a copy of Demon's Souls, I think I might have liked it and gotten more out of it if the battles hadn't been so loving slow. The actual combat system was pretty boss, but everything just seemed to take forever.

Still, never mind, I now have some demon's to not kill because they are handing my arse to me

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this something to be so displeased about? It seems like a perfectly reasonable and inoffensive idea.

You can get 1st hand (right terminology?) games for second hand prices eventually nowadays anyway, and I paid nearly 10 quid to play Uncharted 2 multiplayer since all the fun maps were DLC. So long as project $10 actually goes to the developers i'm game.

Of course in the UK we don't have an equivelant to Gamestop who will probably try to pass off second hand titles as brand new

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Jolo posted:

Ugh. The Valley of Defilement was all I had standing in my way to beat Demon's Souls. The whole area was so miserable that I ended up selling the game off unbeaten.

I've since repurchased it, but I'm still dreading doing those long swampy areas you have to trudge through.

There's only really one bad stretch of swamp in world 5, it just so happens that that one stretch is loving horrible to navigate. Once you get the shortcut through to the shanty-town set up the rest of world 5 isn't as bad.

I would argue that the Maneater fight in 3-2 is worse than the whole of world 5.

Dark Souls is going to be worse than all of worlds 1-5, and I just wish i was playing it now instead of some point next week thanks to Amazon's supersaver delivery

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Dr Geek posted:

How long does it take to beat Nier? I'm 13 hours in and just finished the part where while fighting a statue in the lost shrine, Kaine gets impaled and turns into a shade and you fight her. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I can feel Dark Souls calling to me. I wanted to finish Nier first but if it's gonna be another 13 hours or something I'm just gonna jump in to Dark Souls.

I have a feeling you're pretty much halfway through, though the latter half of the game can be easily done in about five hours if you're not bothering with the 'spergy sidequests. Definitely not a long game though

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

whip posted:

I know Stranglehold is an old game but so awesome[/random]

Christ, time really does fly when I read comments like this, seems only yesterday I had unboxed my first console (N64) and now people are calling PS3 games 'old'

Anyone played Skylanders, btw? A friend reccommended it to me though I hear it's quite expensive thanks to all the portal/figurine crap that comes with it

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They're gathered from various points in time and universes to defeat the Anti-Monitor.

Sony has the DC license, right?

Alternately they're fighting for Michael's love.

Evidently reading these threads backwards provides some unique misunderstandings, such as a Super Smash Brothers style Arrested Development game.

It's likely someone already had that idea and it's terrible

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

On the other hand, I have to keep a careful eye on any future NIS game purchases lately, and not for good reasons. While I enjoy NIS-developed games like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, I pretty much have to avoid games that are just NISA-published such as Atelier Iris and, well, Cross Edge. Nowadays I have to be careful when I see that NIS America tag on a game so I don't accidentally purchase something like Last Rebellion and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I know in a few cases, NISA is roped into some contract agreement to release a lovely game (as was the case with Last Rebellion apparently), but I would think that they'd stop trying to translate and publish every new JRPG regardless of quality. It's like they want to be the next Working Designs or something.

Atelier Rorona is the tits, and i've heard good things about its sequel

I'd love to see more large scale JRPGs appear on the PS3, maybe something along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles, which I haven't played but looks fantastic.

Maybe a remake of Rogue Galaxy where it doesn't suck too

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

BlindNinja posted:

I'm thinking of Uncharted 2/3, Killzone 3, FFXIII, when I say the cutscenes are equal, if not slightly better looking than the game. Yakuza 4 the cutscenes and the gameplay look just about identical to me. I could name a bunch of other games, but the cutscenes of DX:HR compared to the actual game are borderline horrendous.

edit: That's not to take away from the game itself, it's just a bit off-putting when FMVs pop up and look like I'm watching them on youtube at 480P

Wanted Weapons of Fate's FMVs were shocking despite the actual game not looking too bad. That's compression for ya

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's a good game but goons were so sure it was going to be so much better than it was that they have to convince themselves of this instead of admitting that in many ways it's not even as good as Saints Row 2.

The real question i want an answer to is: is it a buggy piece of poo poo that often ruins the fun, like SR2 was?

I've put Skyrim to one side for now because I don't have enough time to properly enjoy it, and am playing Atelier Rorona, which is an incredibly chill game. Totori just came out recently in the UK, was wondering who here has played it and could possibly tell me what changes have been made, for better or worse?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Troffen posted:

The game is even more chill than Rorona. Instead of deadlines every 3 months, you have one deadline at the end of 3 years, and unless you slack off big time, it's really easy to make. You can now turn in requests if the items are in your basket or container, the game won't make requests for items you haven't seen before or can't make yet, and a there's a bunch of other little improvements. It's a much better game IMO. I couldn't finish Rorona, but I'm on my second playthrough of Totori.

That sounds pretty bitching, I've seen a few battle videos and it seems they've sexed that up as well. I completed Rorona and am working through it a second time now I understand how it all works, so I'm sure Totori would be right up my street.

Would be nice to see a polished HD remake of one of the Atelier Iris games, with that awesome battle system and spritework

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

cmykjester posted:

So I am thinking about picking up Bayonetta because I heard that it is a really good action game, but around when it launched I heard the PS3 version was a bad port. I was wondering if by now it has been patched and is okay or should I just borrow my brother's 360 if I want to play it.

PS3 version is perfectly playable, even if i did end up wrecking an HDTV out of rage whilst fighting one of the bosses.

Barely noticed any problems with load times or framerate and I played through it twice

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

By all accounts, I hear that Yakuza 4 is better than 3 and after playing 2, I found 3 to be mediocre.

Its a solid game though, so if you're ever bored for some more Yakuza goodness, then 3 is worth a play. But if you have to choose between the two, then get 4.

Yakuza 3 does have some awesome missions and substories in it, like the Cafe Alps Murder investigation and one incredibly badass fight towards the end. But more importantly it's another diplomacy-by-fists simulator and that's never a bad thing.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Dominic White posted:

There's always Wizardry - can't get more old-school than that!

It's not available in Europe because XSeed don't have an EU publishing wing yet, but you can split the cost with an American goon and share it.

Labrynth of Lost Souls is available on UK PSN, as well as a demo of it

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Urban Achiever posted:

At least today's PA is on the topic du jour:

So did everyone in the world do exactly that? I know I did, god bless you Garrett you wierd cat white mage, you've saved my heiny god knows how many times.

EDIT: Also, i'm really enjoying the episodic nature of the game, and the fact that you can go back and redo things if you missed anything. FFXIII-2 almost shamelessly steals a lot of ideas from FFX-2 in the missions structure, episodic nature and even the plot basically being the same (girl loses sister, goes on adventures through time with an assortment of freaks and uncovers a far more sinister plot, compared to girl loses boyfriend, goes on wild adventure across the lands with an assortment of freaks only to find a far more sinister plot). X-2 will probably end up being the superior article after everything is said and done, but i'm still enjoying this immensely and do not regret this purchase at all, even if it is my last one in a while

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

The gameplay videos I saw of the overworld map and the fights looked really good and colorful. I don't know where all the hate is coming from for this game lately.

People are bitter after years of constantly being let down by hype, that's all.

I'll probably be getting this game eventually as well

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I'm gonna chime in before the hate train starts chuffing away, it's got good gameplay and there's a hell of a lot of content but It won't really be in any way a similar experience to SO1.

Also the story is piss poor and the characters are borderline offensively bad.

Having said that, if the price is right it's fun to play and has a reasonably good difficulty curve

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo I think I just "got" RoF.

I ended up in a fight with a lv. 44 Dwellist again, not the Dolled up one but a different one. He was flanked by two MG enemies each around lv. 10, so no big deal with them, but the big guy had me worried.

I sent Vashyron over to the left to run pretty much straight at the left side enemy, and took him out easy. By this time, the Dwellist was standing close to Zephyr. I used a hero action to move Zephyr away from the Dwellist but targeted it, thinking I'd do some scratch damage as I ran off towards the other MG enemy.

I ended up scratching off his entire health bar in two charges. :psyduck: That was... just... amazingly lucky shooting, holy poo poo.

I had a resonance point when it was Leanne's turn, so I thought what the hell, did a tri-attack and she proceeded to convert like 2,000 scratch damage to direct in her first two attacks during the tri-attack.

That was incredible :black101:

I love how badass that game makes you feel when you get it right. All the times you end up loving up because you're in the wrong position make it difficult for me to want to continue playing, though, especially in the chapter where you only have two characters

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Whats the best JRPG on PS3? Are there any good ones?? Thank you.

Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms and the Final Fantasy 13 games are all perfectly serviceable JRPGs that have mediocre to terrible stories and divisive characters. With the exception of FFXIII-2 they're kinda dirt cheap to buy nowadays as well so that's something I guess

If you want something a little different, the Atelier games are pretty cute, i've only played the first game (Atelier Rorona) but i've heard that the second one (Atelier Totori) has a lot of great improvements that make it really fun to play

Actually I probably should have bought that game instead of FFXIII-2

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Argubly, good games don't really need a sequel, especially a 40-60 hour rpg. Follow up maybe, or something thematically similar, like how Disgaea 1 was followed by phantom brave and makai kingdom.

I can't imagine RoF needing another game, unless they use the game engine and a slightly more varied combat system in a completely different setting, maybe a modern era ninja game with swords and guns or something set in medieval europe

Also, FFXIII needed a sequel because the combat system was great but not much else was

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I don't recall any mega-hard fights in Yakuza 3, really, and aside from that one fight in 4 I don't really remember any that took me more than a few times to beat if I didn't beat them the first time. That doesn't count the loving Colosseum, though, but that's side-quest stuff.

One thing that made Yakuza a lot easier was realizing I could use healing items during battle. For some reason I didn't realize this, and was getting creamed by the first boss in Yakuza 3. :sweatdrop:

There was only one vaguely challenging fight in the main game of Yakuza 3 as far as I can remember, and that was mainly because he spent most of the fight throwing you about like a fart in the wind.

The colloseum destroyed me though, won a single fight then got stunlocked into oblivion. Stunlocking is never a good thing

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Still pretty bummed it's still a guy, I was looking forward to French Revolution lady.

Isn't there something about how the bloodline leads to desmond through dude genes, so it's unlikely to have a female main character. Female assassin sidekick would be awesome though

EDIT: Also i'm sure they would have made a french revolution female MC the most offensive character possible purely by accident

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think if Desmond was occupying a woman's body he would be a little too distracted to do the normal assassination stuff.

And there you've given Japanes sex-game developers a creepy new idea. Well done.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't done the research but I am certain that that is far from a new idea for them.

Probably not using the AC engine though...

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Temascos posted:

Just got back into Yakuza 3 after a long break, and now I officially love this game. So many insane things and the sidequests are just so much fun to do, heck just finding them is fun because you're not going around for miles and miles to look for something to do, the areas are relatively small compared to other games.

When you do a mission rescuing someone and afterwards being chased by a transexual whatever before playing at the Sega Arcade and getting drunk doesn't consitute an interesting game I don't know what is.

I've been playing the game for hours, completed the storyline and spent a good 5-10 hours doing side quests...i've not even scratched halfway. Great value for money, this game.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

blowingupcasinos posted:

It's not that bad.

Edit: it's totally playable, and definitely still a fun game.

Yeah it's perfectly servicable, and the frame rate is still smooth enough not to get in the way of playing it so I don't know what everyone's talking about

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I remember back when they were doing the AC1 tech demonstration and I'd swear that some commentator or another said you didn't want to get caught in combat because it was deadly but combat in AC is anything but. Most times you can fight until you get bored and there's almost no risk.

I do remember someone saying right at the beginning of the series development, perhaps even after the first ever trailer for AC1 came out, that combat was extremely dangerous and sword strikes would be one or two hit kills (kinda like how combat works in the rainbow six games), but i guess focus groups didn't like it so they changed it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Especially since a review I read said it should be experienced all in one sitting. I NEVER do that with games.

I basically just did that with Heavy Rain, it was awesome

Speaking of Heavy Rain, it was awesome, and despite certain plot points being massive red herrings as well as playing the killer making certain sections not make much sense I thought the narrative was tight enough to keep my gripped all the way through. Best £6 i've spent in a long time

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Azruelli posted:

If they do release an HD remastering of Skies of Arcadia, I hope it's the Legends version. To my knowledge there's more content, more sky battles, and the addition of the Most Wanted list.

And less frequent random battles apparently. It also would be the best HD remaster ever, including an HD remake of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Ramadu posted:

So, I just got a ps3 and got NBA 2k12. I'm tired of the 360 since mine just red ringed for the 4th or 5th time. What games should I look into on the ps3?

Heavy Rain, if you like a compelling thriller and don't mind that it isn't really a game as such and more a choose your own adventure book.

Great game

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Really? Demon Souls never loses steam? I've been taking a break from Dark Souls to play Ico + Shadow of the Colossus and SSX, but I think Demon Souls will be next in line after those games, again edging out Uncharted 2.

Am I the only person who found Uncharted underwhelming and Uncharted 2 to be even more underwhelming due to all the hype surrounding it?

DS throws out a really lovely level towards the end that noone likes and that can be offputting, though once you get through it the rest of the game is still pretty good. World tendency was a cool idea in theory but in practice was a bit of a mess which is why i'm glad it's not in Dark Souls

The Uncharted games really are best played completely blind. Being so linear, if you even watch gameplay videos of it that can make the game rather underwhelming. I've tried to avoid info on the third game because I still haven't played it but i loved the first two.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Spermando posted:

Darksiders' first hours are horrible. I would give it a little more time, but if you're not enjoying it by the time you beat the first boss, it won't get any better.

I just got this game, when you say horrible first hours are we talking Dark Souls help-what-am-i-doing horrible, or Yakuza 3 why-is-this-an-orphanage-simulator-this-is-slow-as-gently caress horrible? Or is it just tedious? I'll probably work my way through it after i've finished Uncharted 3 but It'd be good to know just what I'm getting myself into

EDIT: Also, what is it specifically about Devil May Cry 2 that makes it such an abomination compared to the other games, people go on about how it's terrible and that noone mentions it ever but I don't think anyone's ever said specifically what makes it bad bar the comment a poster made earlier about enemy behaviour patterns being rather asinine

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Literally just finished Uncharted 3 a moment ago, and there's nothing wrong with it per se, although it didn't seem to have the wow factor of the second game, as well as the last few chapters pretty much being Identical to the Shamabala section in 2 surely Drake should know not to fire explosives in an underground city when he's already commented on his surprise that the ceiling hasn't already caved in.

Spoilering the next section just in case:

The main problem I see is that Marlowe and Talbot never seemed like that big a threat compared to Zoran Lazaravic's insane brutality, meglomania and world destroying quest for power. Sure they're seeking some ancient hallucinagen in order to take over the world but they seem a little smarmy about it and I never felt like I should be frightened of them like I was with Lazaravic. Uncharted 1 had the same problem with Billy Englishman. It was refreshing to have the game end with no mystical creatures whatsoever (I thought oh dear when the Djinn warriors started to appear but them being a figment of Drake's imagination was a refreshing twist to the conventional formula)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Uncharted 2 was packed to the gills with body armoured shock troopers, 3 didn't have that many really. There were a fair few oversized bully boys to have fisticuffs with and that was kind of repetative.

I think they could have replaced the whole Rameses section with Marlowe capturing Drake and keeping him on that cruise ship, which could have made possible a conversation where we actually find out all that ambiguity about Drake's past etc and still preserved that fantastic level. Rameses really was a pointless character in many respects.

• Locked thread