Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jimbot posted:

Truth be told. The further away it is from a "RE game" the better. I still love the heck out of RE4, but it's time the series moved away from not being able to move and aim and the general tank controls.

Why? Dead Space 1/2 used the same control scheme and everyone loved those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's kind of the problem, in that genre Dead space basically IS better than RE, it does everything the new RE games do but better, I think. However the stuff RE USED to do but doesn't anymore, like, the puzzles and wandering around lost and reading inscriptions on walls and stuff, isn't really done by anything else.

Lost in Nightmares proved that they COULD make a hybrid of both old and new conventions if they really wanted to, but this is Capcom we're talking about here and they'll probably just make some really stupid design decisions with 6. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

Resident Evil Revelations is basically a full length Lost in Nightmares. Only problem is that it's a 3DS game.

Revelations is fine and all until you get to the actual gameplay.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghilibi films? Beautifully rendered scenery and quirky characters? Well then, you've probably heard of the upcoming RPG from Level 5, Ni no Kuni (Two Kingdoms/Worlds).

Level 5's just posted a brand new trailer here
The art style is great, it's basically a playable movie and it's drat charming too :3: Problem is, the battle system looks kinda bland.

What's with Studio Ghibli and their fascination with fat ladies? Seriously, every single one of their movies has one.

Anyway, I'm sold on the graphics alone. So many colours, I forgot what that was like ever since I got my PS3.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

posters posted:

Dungeons can SUCK IT

It's people like you that got us FFXIII. I hope you're happy. <:mad:>

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I just tried the Ace Combat demo, and it's... fine. I don't really appreciate the way they streamlined the gameplay with the Close Range Assault, but I said, hey, whatever, I'll just ignore it and play it like a normal Ace Combat game.

26 missiles later, I realized that the only way to take down a TGT Leader was in that mode. Bleh.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dominic White posted:

The worst thing about it is that they've gone for Tom Clancy's Generic Middle-Eastern Conflict as the setting. So we don't get any bosses or crazy world-threatening superweapons, flying aircraft carriers or submarine superdestroyers.

Bah.

I call it the CoD Effect.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Every HD remake has been released on the PSN if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Discount Viscount posted:

They'll split it up with each of them at 19.99, but only for Plus subscribers, and the bundle will be available to all.

So it'll be cheaper by a cent to buy them separately!

Plus, no taxes! ... depending on where you live.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Shalinor posted:

I was feeling it, right up until... they crouched behind a chest-high wall, in a corridor full of what appeared to be chest high walls. :bang:

Does the world really need another cover-based straight up shooter right now? This looks like Vanquish with a better plot but less interesting gameplay.

Wasn't Vanquish supposed to be a cover shooter but if you were playing it that way you were doing it wrong? I know there's not a bazillion billion missiles exploding here, but I'm hoping the same is somewhat true with BD.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of HD re-releases, I've been playing RE4 HD, and while the fact that I can play it again is great and all, you can really notice that Capcom didn't give two craps about it. It has the laziest trophies ever, they didn't bother to redraw some of the menu textures, and hell, they didn't bother with any of the in-game textures at all for that matter. Oh, yeah, and the framerate can sometimes drop. Even during some cutscenes. I'm beginning to trust Capcom less and less these days.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I said come in! posted:

That's the only Wii game I liked. I wonder if it's playable on that Dolphin emulator, since I don't have my Wii anymore, but held onto my copy of Muramasa for some reason.

It's one of the better games you can use on the emulator, runs at full speed even on not-so-great systems.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

Bad news: Confirmed, no PSN download version of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus collection.

You mean for now, right? Right..? :smith:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is coming this Tuesday to PSN store. No, really, they mean it this time.

Who cares about that, Space Channel 5 is coming out next week, FINALLY. ;-*

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Anyone who complains about SotC's controls should just stop playing and go back to their 360/PS3 games. It controls just fine. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

Space Channel 5, Part 2

This is all I care about for this week. :allears:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Okay, now I care about SC5 AND God Hand.

Someone remind me again why I have a PS3 when all I play are last gen games

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Okay, I was excited about God Hand, but how much are they going to charge for those games? Considering they aren't remakes, they shouldn't be more than $10-$15. Even $15 sounds like a lot, but then again, it is Capcom...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Sold.

Now give us Okami, I never got to play it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
PSN Plus is getting some good deals lately, with 20%-50% off on the first week of release. I'm considering buying a subscription.

Damnit. I'm gonna need a bigger HD.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wait, what's so bad about SotC's controls? I thought you guys were complaining about the horse. Other than that... up is forward, down is backwards, left is left and right is right. What else do you want? <:mad:>

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Millions posted:

Also, God Hand... How awesome is it?

It's freakin' awesome, but keep in mind that the better you do at the game, the harder it gets.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tamagod Sushi posted:

O-wise goons in other regions, is there a site that you would reccommend to buy online US PSN cards from? Goon reccomendations are the coolest :c00l:

I use this page, found while randomly browsing ebay. It's pretty reliable and it doesn't charge that much extra.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jamesman posted:

Atmosphere, thoughtful, logical evironmental puzzles, very light on combat (which in itself was a puzzle).

Limbo and its various clones?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

Out of nowhere, Sam & Max Season 2 this Tuesday! :dance:

Soooooo, when are we getting new PS2 Classics?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kaleidoscope posted:

The current rumor is the first PSN update of the month until they change their minds.

At least it's better than nothing, assuming they're planning on releasing 3-4 at a time.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SamBishop posted:

And for once there's no embargo! By all means, if anyone has any questions, ask away.

This is a stupid question, but are all the cutscenes prerendered again?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SamBishop posted:

Nah, not a stupid question. It's probably a... 70/30 mix between pre-rendered and real-time, with the latter happening when there's an obvious transition into gameplay. The pre-rendered stuff is done with either slightly higher-res assets (though honestly you've never seen textures this good in a console game) or just better filtering on what's there. Stuff like stonework and hair is absolutely mind-blowing.

Sounds like it's pretty much the same as in U2. I wish developers would stop using prerendered scenes, it takes me away from the game for some reason. It was fine back in the PSX days when you just couldn't make it look THAT good, but nowadays, what's their excuse? Lack of space? Hiding loading screens? Lazyness? And also, alternate costumes are absolutely awesome for me, but... what's the point if all I'll ever see of them is my character's back, since 95% of the cutscenes in games are prerendered? I think the PS2 was way better with this stuff, and that was like... 10 years ago.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'd rather have a loading screen and slightly worse looking cutscenes any day.

Ein Bear posted:

I have nothing against pre-rendered cutscenes, I just wish they didn't always use that lovely Bink codec which compresses the hell out of everything. Blu-Ray discs are massive, I shouldn't be seeing artifacting on a PS3 game.

Blame multiplatform game models... I think?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Japan actually likes the new Ace Combat? Huh.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

quote:

The rumors floating around the interwebs are that the next installment in the series will hit Holiday of next year, which could be plausible.

I want to see Kratos saving Christmas.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Harlock posted:

I've never seen such backpedaling from a game before its release.

Infamous 2 would like a word with you.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
1) Western developer
2) Dante doesn't look like Dante
3) It's not Bayonetta 2

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

axleblaze posted:

Well, it's still a fairly recent thing where they've been releasing full PS3 games on a pretty much a weekly basis and while they probably don't see that much of a problem having $10-15 split five ways, $40-60 might just be much harder for them to stand by and take.

If this is true, I hope it means we'll eventually get digital releases the same day as retail. I'd be all for it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Surlaw posted:

Hey guys Metal Gear Solid 3 is really gorgeous in HD, but you can't pause cutscenes!

Have you tried hitting the XMB button?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yesssss, I always wondered why they never did that sooner.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I said come in! posted:

For those who signed up for that free $5.99 credit, how long did it take for you to get your code? It's been over 3 days now and I haven't gotten it yet in my e-mail.

I signed up on thursday/friday (don't remember) and I just got my code. :woop:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Why make ZOE 3 when you can make the SAME game again, huh Kojima? Brilliant.

Really, at this point, I'd even take a Castlevania: LOS 2 from him instead of more MGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Kojima didn't make Castlevania:LoS. He had nothing to do with it beyond some advising.

I know, that's why I said I'd rather he worked on that instead.

• Locked thread