Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking at the latest FF13-2 info makes me more and more hopeful for the game. It looks like you'll be doing some time traveling, and seeing the same areas in different time periods. Also there are QTEs in battles, which by themselves I am not so excited about, but they appear to be branching QTEs, which I don't see enough of in games.

edit: the gate interface, which is cross shaped (or XMB shaped?) with locations running horizontally and time period running vertically, or is it the other way around? You need some kind of key items to unlock areas/time periods I guess.

This sounds radically different from the first game and it actually makes me curious.

They're using the game engine from the first game right? (but with a new battle system and all). The last game was gorgeous and it was a little sad they developed so many unique and beautiful assets only to make a corridor linking them all.

It makes me think they really dicked around with the first game and when they had to release the game, they cobbled together something from what they had. But this? This sounds more of a labor of love than the first FF13 was.

Edit: Can we get a 13-2 thread? I thought this game would benefit from one, and the main focus can be convincing people it's not the same as the first game and to turn people back into Final Fantasy after the disaster than 13 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that is seriously what I am thinking too. From interviews right after 13's release it is clear that they had the marketing people shouting a billion contradictory messages at them and it seriously rattled their brains and 13 is the result. Maybe now though they have calmed down a bit and can make a proper game.

Also, combined with FF14 and they're having lots of financial issues, Squarenix is likely sitting down and going: Okay, let's get back to our roots, and have some very interesting changes and think from a GAMERS perspective.

They know they need a real game this time, and while they're using the Final Fantasy name, I hope they now realize it's not enough to carry it.

(also, I'm sure they've spent a fuckton of money on R+D for the game engine and they'll be damned if they use it for only 1 game, hence FF13-2 and maybe FF13-3.)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy X remake/remaster/HD version coming to Vita and PS3. Square is scraping the bottom of that ice machine for all it's worth.

I hope it's the international. I'll buy it assuming it's a decent price and it is the international. More money for them to work on FF13-2 anyway. I'd like to see where that game goes.

VVVVV I would gladly pay $50-60 dollars if it was an HD collection that included FFX and FFXII

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 14, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BlindNinja posted:

One of the reasons I stopped playing XII was those hellish dungeons.

gently caress that 'final' dungeon. Something-something Tower.

Tower of Parohs I think.

All I know is, gently caress having to do like 6 boss fights in that tower.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Ni No Kuni coming to America *EARLY next year, aces! Don't think I turned on my PS3 after getting a decent PC since Mortal Kombat.

*edit for link
I hope it comes with that awesome book. I'll buy an LE of it if it's the only way to get the book.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Scyron posted:

Anyone have experience with Child of Eden? I'm looking to pick it up in 2012 feb, since it should get a price drop by then, and it looks really phenominal.

I heard it is short but has the replay value to make up for it. If nothing else it is a beautiful game and even if it is linear and static I am willing to shell out some dough come Feb. Oh I also got a full PSmove, 2 wands, navi, spare DS3, and a second copy of uncharted 2 for like $130, so I kind of need more move titles to fill my library.

edit: VVV amazon has it for $40 PS3, $30 for 360. With no kinect I wont be getting it on 360, even if I could barrow my brothers kinect. I am looking at $20-30 price range, though if it lacks real value I think I can wait. I did wait some 7-9(?)years for REZ HD, which I think was totally worth it.

Hey you know Child of Eden is likely to be released on PSN (It was released on the xbox Games on Demand)

Mosey on over to the PSN Game Share thread, and you can get into a gameshare for it for only $8.50

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess we've talked about this in this thread before, but an ideal situation is when the game delivers you story stuff while you are playing. I hope for a future where games never have a period of time where you just set your controller down and watch. Japanese games have the furthest to go in this regard but a lot of Western games are guilty too.

Sounds like a mix of Uncharted and Demon's Souls.

I mean, you can uncover more of the story if you read stuff like item description and get backstory, but like you mentioned later, they could use scenes like where you climb walls or cruise on a boat to talk/unfold the main story.

Though, isn't the prime example of this: Half Life?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So, Nippon Ichi is making their own Demon's Souls knockoff called "The Witch and the Hundred Cavalrymen"

Always nice to see more companies inspired by good games.

I'll buy it just because there aren't enough Demon's Souls knockoffs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shalinor posted:

This is a good thing. This fall and Christmas is ridiculously packed with giant releases - Journey coming out next year will hopefully mean it isn't suffocated under the combined might of Arkham City, Elder Scrolls 5, Dark Souls, etc, etc, etc.

I was gonna say this. I'm strangely okay with this since there are too many good games coming out between here and the end of the year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cbouncerrun posted:

I just picked up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection and the cover isn't reversible like I heard it was. :(

What region are you? EUs might not get this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So I just realized something retarded about Child of Eden on the PS3.

On the cover, it's literally the same cover as the xbox version, which shows how a person playing with kinct would be like.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shindragon posted:

I think one of the reasons why RE5 gets flack is because of the co-op.It felt a bit forced.The levels were a bit so/so really. Not as crazy as RE4. Also Sheva is probably the most boring character in the RE universe ever. While it is possible to play without co-op, it would've been better if they never made Sheva. Nothing against her, she wasn't really needed.

That and Wesker? What a disappointment. It does get some points for the infamous scene which I won't spoil.

What are you talking about? Wesker was awesome! Just the right level of crazy madman insanity for the B+ movie of a game that RE5 was.

COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Krad posted:

Okay, now I care about SC5 AND God Hand.

Someone remind me again why I have a PS3 when all I play are last gen games

Because you can store all your last gen games digitally on one console that also has native wireless gamepads and trophies that make you feel good when you do something.

And you can download them for cheap, sometimes MUCH cheaper than getting them physically used.

Legally.

Oh, gameshares. I'd start up a gameshare for a lot of these games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I got all the fruit according to the map but the trophy still didn't unlock. Unless it's counting the fruit at the very top of the temple. There's also a lizard location FAQ on GameFAQs which proves that someone out there has the time and patience to do the poo poo that you don't want to. Namely scour the world looking for lizards. Hopefully I only have 10 or so left.

Tune in next time for more news about my Shadow of the Colossus addictionprogress!

FYI, the fruit in the garden does count. You have to save it for last.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hope I have enough stamina on this play through to make it upere.

if I recall right, you need max. So um.... hope you got all those lizards.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Talkc posted:

Let's start with the 360 question. Nope. No 360. Never again. I had 2 break down on me over the time i had them ( from launch till late 2007 ). Between that and having to pay for stuff like p2p multiplayer, i flat out quit consoles for a while.

Next question: Exclusives. Im interested in anything i can play on the system. As far as uncharted goes im definitely interested in it.

I have a friend campaigning for me to get Demon Souls / Dark Souls. Im kinda not interested. They sound interesting, but the lack of true multiplayer coop makes me think twice.

Games i like:
Shooters whose lynchpins arent simple 'deathmatch' or military realism.( Example, I love Team Fortress 2, I freaking hate Call of Duty and Battlefield.)
3rd person action games of all kinds.
RPGS: This is an odd one. I love western style rpgs in the vein of stuff like Elder Scrolls. Im not a big fan of JRPGS.
I love arcadey super fast competative racers.
I love fighting games.
I love anything coop. Cooperative gameplay is usually a huge seller for me.

Demon's Souls:
This is easy to pick up for 19.99 or less. If you want to do multiplayer co-op, you can always skype/irc/instant message with someone and organize it so you can join each other's games. It's not that complicated. Also, you can use Demon's Souls as a limitus test for Dark Souls. If you can beat Demon's Souls and still enjoye dit, then get Dark Souls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Have you guys seen the GTA V trailer yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs I can't wait for this, the game world looks incredible.

Preordered. Having planes plus a more interesting gameworld will make this all better. I was so loving tired of GTA4's City+City+City.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So amazon's got that deal on buy 3 games, get them for the price of two.

Thinking about Arkham City and Rage. Any other choices I could make? I already have Dark Souls and unfortunately they're gonna end the sale before Skyrim or Saint's Row 3.

I'd get Uncharted 3, but it just seems like it's not worth it if I was playing single player alone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The thing I'm looking forward to Skyrim the most is having an entirely new world to explore. This game series hasn't really been about the challenges as much as it has been about exploring.

Still waiting on reviews and maybe for it to hit $40 on a sale though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I wish Xenoblade came out on a relevant game console. It deserved better then the Wii.

And since it's an Nintendo owned franchise (of sorts) no chance it'll come to the PS3 and Xbox!

AND it's still not loving coming out for the US!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

axleblaze posted:

It more likely has to do with the changes to gamesharing considering I think that goes into effect soon.

Thats..... exactly what he said?

Gamesharing= 5 PS3 activations using one account.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Look a few posts up ;)

Ok. So a third party wired controller doesn't turn on the console. Odd. And Siren is 39.99. A downloadable game from twenty loving eight.

Any disc based copies that are cheaper?

PSN game share still work between two people. You could see if anyone wants to split it with you, for only $20 apiece.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Harlock posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress.

The cat is my only family!

e:fb!

FF13-2: The Biggest Goon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

Ok I just completed the campaign mode for Killzone 3 and it was awesome. I'll never understand how people can rip on the story in Killzone because out of all the popular shooters today, I'd say that it easily has the best one. The talent GG has for crafting brilliant characters is fantastic. I thought Radec and Visari were handled excellently in the second game but well, god drat is Stahl a complete and utter bastard :aaa:

So cool to play a series of games where the bad guys actually have character development! I think they handled the struggle for power between the Helghast factions really well too. It would have been easy to do what every other game does and just gone the "The bad guys are more angry!" route after the second game, but the dynamics between Stahl and Orlock owned. They did a stellar job with the voice acting and facial animations too.

Do the VGAs have an rear end in a top hat of the year award? My vote goes to Jorhan Stahl.

gently caress 'em!

Man, I really need to get back into Killzone. Even worse, I just managed to trudge myself through Resistance 1/2.

Do I need to play Killzone 1 to get the story or will I be okay picking up on my own with Killzone 2 and going to Killzone 3 when it gets cheap?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Housh posted:

I might do Uncharted 2 next so I can alternate franchises. How long does it typically take for new games to get the first price drop? Is it 6 months or a year? I guess after the sequels I'll pick up God of War and AC: Brotherhood to tie me over.

Taking a long break from gaming = getting spoiled by an abundance of cheap AAA titles :D

Do you order games online? Amazon is great for this.

Check up on SA's very own Video game deals megathread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408877

Seriously, pay attention. You'll see a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution have a deal for a few days for 35 dollars not even a month after release.

poo poo, Uncharted 3 is 40 dollars right now and it's been one month and one week after release.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I'm not really interested in opinions, I am interested in a few objective facts about whether it is different than 13, and one of them is whether it has real dungeons that you can wander around and get lost in, or fake ones that are actually just a corridor. At least a few of those maps look get-lost-in-able, but those kinds of maps may be in the minority, I dunno.

Let's keep our preorders for the game in high expectations. You and I will stand tall in order to try it firsthand and deliver high quality testimonials to all the other goons.

Also, they must have at least LEARNED something from the last game.

the cat is my only family!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Regarding the Starhawk beta, with the code from UC3, when does that one become open?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I like it. Games come within a few days, assuming it's not a big new release. You can get those on release date if you game the system by clearing your queue. I love buying used games through them since they always come with perfect packaging and whatever online codes were originally included. I've only had one game not work, and they sent me a replacement quickly.

Yeah, the biggest issue is that you have to game the system if you want to play new releases on the same week. Obviously they'll be in huge demand for people to play.

Used sales rock. Since they only mail out the disc, packaging, manual and codes are all there.

If you tend to buy a game or two a month, and you want to supplement that with whatever you want to try, Gamefly is useful. If you only depend on it for all your games, you're gonna want to do something in between mailings.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

God of War IV could be about Kratos working at a Burger King and I'd buy that poo poo. More bloody carnage as the world's most lovable sociopathic badass is nothing but a good thing.

Could you imagine if they actually made it as a cooking/management sim for the first hour of the game, then as Kratos has to deal with dumber and dumber customers, he eventually rages out and seeks to destroy The King?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Twisted Metal Black coming to the PSN as a PS2 Classic... if you buy a first print copy of Twisted Metal

Hey just put Black on the PSN so I can buy it without dropping $60 on the new thing thanks

Apparently the new one might actually be good. Probably not worth 60 with a free ps2 game though, unless amazon does a 20 dollar credit.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You know it's nice to relax before a few more games come in the end of the month.

(can't wait for Silent Hill and SC5.)

Anything good coming out in February at least?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dominic White posted:

What was wrong with it? HoTD 2 & 3 were ported pretty well, I thought.

Yeah if anything doesn't the PS3 move respond better than an Wiimote? Seems like it would be awesome on the PS3 (maybe this'll get me to buy a move and HOTD Overkill as well.)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dominic White posted:

As a pointer device, the Move is slightly weaker. The Wii remote basically works like an optical mouse, only instead of bouncing its own infra-red light off the surface below it, it sees the distant dual infra-red dots from the sensor bar.

The Move uses the visual cue of the glowing ball to track its rough position, but the actual pointing stuff is mostly done via gyroscope readings, which is why everything needs calibrating each time you play.

As an actual motion-sensing controller, the Move is probably a step or two above the Wii Motionplus setup, as it can both track the movement of the controller visually, and has a good range of motion sensors to track movement in any direction and facing.

Thanks to you and PSN for clarifying it. I thought since the setup requires a PS Eye camera, it would generally be better than the Wii, but it looks like it comes down to software issues again.

Maybe if I see it all on sale a year or two later that'll be the time to pick it up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

If you were one of the people that didn't like how lifeless the towns were, that's at least fixed to some extent. What was in the demo anyways, allows you to talk to NPCs, but it's just one sided conversations and they are pretty 2-dimensional. You'll see for yourself when it shows up on PSN Store in a few hours. Or if you have an Xbox 360, you can get the demo right now.

But there are diverse and robust conversation choices now like... The cat is my only family!

(Still not expecting much out of this game and to be honest, it might be the last final fantasy I play)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

It's hard to top rescuing Haruka from the inside of a giant Japanese castle that splits open to reveal an identical Japanese castle made out of gold filled with samurai warriors whom you gun down with a mounted MG42, and then punch two tigers to death with your bare hands.

Also in the same game is a sidequest where a Yakuza leader invites you into a host club, then it turns out he has a baby fetish and his associates attack you while they're wearing diapers because your main character doesn't like this baby fetish.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of the first two Yakuza games coming out as PS2 Classics. I never played any of the series.

Hell, when are we going to get some more PS2 Classics anyway? We've gotten a handful so far in a couple of weekly updates and then nothing. I seem to remember SamBishop hinting that there were some amazing games in the pipeline.

Yakuza could use it. The first two games can be hard to track down for a good price.

I'm really curious about Square's FFX HD rerelease. Could we finally get the international edition?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Chard posted:

This looks like it could be fun, maybe even scratch the itch :darksouls: is going to leave. I like some of the touches, like how grappling onto big enemies seems to be fairly common.

Those are some ugly graphics though. I know it's not final-cut, but that feels like a step back in a lot of areas.

If it actually could live up to a third of what Dark Souls was, it'll easily have tripled the number of sales than if it was your standard action-rpg (like Venetica or whatever)

Dark Souls seemed to have been a smashing hit last year (considering the genre) and I mean with more than just the goon crowd.

Also, just from watching the trailer, the graphics seem sort of similar to Dark Souls, and you can tell the gameplay is sort of like Dark Souls and not something like Fable. I wouldn't be surprised if this was developed internally after Demon's Souls and they wanted to have a competing product. I'm sure the difficulty won't live up to what Dark Souls was, but for general gameplay similar to it, and boss fights a little more on the scale of SotC and you get Dragon's Dogma.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah Dragon's Dogma looks like an almost ideal game for me. Just the amount of visual customization you can do on your main character is amazing, looks beyond any game yet. Climbing around on giant enemies and keeping them busy while your teammates fill them with arrows looks awesome.

...and yet, on 2ch there are all these people who assume it will suck. I don't understand why.

edit: Well there is one thing: the idea that the game was clearly made to access the Western audience, and that sometimes means they don't know what the hell they're doing (see Quantum Theory, etc).

I'm loving all the Dark Souls vibe I'm getting from it. No other game set to release this year has produced such a feeling.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Stelas posted:

God drat but the Soulcalibur 5 Collector's Box is gigantic. The photo of the box itself is in-scale to the photo of the PS3 case.

FF13-2 is going to be left to collect dust while I work out the week's stress on a stage of soul and swords etc etc.

Yeah. It's actually a better game (and a better CE) than FF13-2. Only thing is, FF13-2 has a bigger (and slightly better) soundtrack.

But holy poo poo, isn't it sad that the artbook for a fighting game kicks the poo poo out of an rpg's artbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

the truth posted:

If DS comes to Vita, then I will buy a loving Vita.

In a cooler world, we'd get a King's Field Anthology HD remake on the PS3/Vita (with better controls) and DeS/DaS on Vita.

At this point the only thing that would make me get a vita is a portable Demon's/Dark souls. Persona 4 interests me, but I don't see why it has to be on Vita and I'm already sort of spoiled on it thanks to the anime.

I'd literally give $100 to a King's Field package with all 4 games, better controls, and better textures.

• Locked thread