Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Bloodrayne demo is pretty fun, I gotta say. Anyone play the full version give us some feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a Disgaea 4 thread and I missed it?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy crap I stop checking PSN for a month and suddenly we get all these goodies. God Hand! I never played God Hand. Now I'm all curious.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So. Hydrophobia: Prophecy. Anybody tried it out yet? I'm curious, this is supposed to be the "good" version of the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow. So, uh, is the natural progression of thoughts when booting up God Hand supposed to go "Wow, this looks terrible" to "Okay I'm getting the hang of it" to "SWEEEET!" ?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God Hand is so strange. Its flaws are so glaring and yet I can't not have fun with it anyway as I perfect how to beat the crap out of guys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, I got Crysis for PS3 because it was on sale at 15 bucks... and the game is pretty, and well-made, but I SUCK at it. The main character is a total glass cannon, even with the so-called "maximum armor" activated. Am I really supposed to stealth the entire game? Because I suck at at that, too! Everyone's wearing camoflage, I can't see the soldiers before they see me!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OH, man. Just saw that trailer for "The Last of Us." I haven't been quite so interested in anything in a while. It's a pretty brilliant trailer, too; lots of little things in it that manage to exposit without expositing.

Naughty Dog hasn't made a bad game yet, and it looks like it'll be a pretty good one here, too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If scavenging is a big thing in "Last of Us," it might actually wind up crossing ground with "I Am Alive" which just came out on XBLA. You're lucky to get just one bullet at a time.

Hard to say, but yeah, I do hope that Last of Us also goes all-out with the greenery just like Enslaved. Considering just how lush Uncharted games can get, I have no doubt that they could make it look just like that if they wanted.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So Warriors Orochi 3 is out on PSN now, the couple-hundred people who have ranked it seem to be giving it five stars, but there isn't a single drat review to be found out there. Is there some sort of review embargo going on?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Unless the exclusive publisher sweetens the deal considerably, I don't blame anyone for going multiplatform. The more potential customers you can access, the better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God of War: Thor, huh?

Can't do Hindu. They just made Asura's Wrath.

Or, maybe we should go right back to the source. Ba'al!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

RE: Just Cause 2

Does it ever get easier to find poo poo when completing locations? Because most of the time what happens is that I have a really fun time zipping around collecting parts and blowing poo poo up, then realizing after I'm done having fun I have like 89% and apparently missed 2-3 things and spend 15 minutes looking for them.

Depends on the size of the location. If you're looking for stuff to blow up, it's usually an electrical generator in a corner of a base, or a propoganda truck in a village. For the item pickups, it's just a game of hot and cold with the little radar symbol in the corner of the screen (but it does point out the item with an arrow on the main screen once you're really close).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure Just Cause 2 is impossible to platinum, because one of the trophies is for driving every vehicle in the game--every single drat type of tuk-tuk, for example. There's no way to keep track of what you've got and what you don't have.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I never bothered to find out: if you 100% a location in Just Cause 2, does that keep away enemy soldiers from spawning?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Web of Shadows was the one where you switch between Black and Red Spidey, right? It had a robust wall-fighting system--yeah, that was a good one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

^^ Infamous 2's first evil power is something that gives you a 1 xp for civillian casualties. Not saying that's BETTER but it's definitely an "evil" power that will play to your "destroy anything in my way" style.

I have a crazy, crazy idea about how an Infamous 3 would work. Let me throw down this beat and see if anyone catches it:

Infamous 3 would star Zeke as the hero, in a world where suddenly everyone gets superpowers, himself included. Zeke inherits lightning powers from his dead buddy Cole and his own checkered past would allow him to use it for good or for bad. Zeke went from a shitheel trying to shoehorn his way into Cole's life in Infamous 1, but he inadvertently caused the death of Cole's girlfriend. So to repent in Infamous 2, he became genuinely useful. Now in Infamous 3, the burden of power is on him...will it go to his fat head, or will he remain pure-hearted in spite of his tendency for temptation?

...and as for why "everyone gets superpowers," well, I'd explain it as a byproduct of the Beast exploding and the nullifier sphere basically being an anti-Ray-Sphere. Instead of sacrificing normal people to activate conduits...it sacrificed conduits around the world and now all normal people are the ones with superpowers. Plus, I really, REALLY want to see a world like that, a world where everyone can do something amazing. It'd be like Alan Moore's Top Ten, where even the hot dog vendor has heat vision (to cook hot dogs!) Think about it, it'd be a world in chaos, an expanded version of the superpowered gangs in the first two Infamous games.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Case in point: Quantum Theory (bonus points for Famitsu calling it "the future of Japanese third person shooters")

Ahahaahahaha Quantum Theory. Couple of interesting ideas were buried in there, but by and large a total Gears of War ripoff. It was almost shocking when I was going through it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Portable Ops was just the prototype for Peace Walker. That's how I view it, anyhow.

I'm alarmed at the lack of Metal Gear Acid love, though. Were they too niche?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seriously, the Acid games ought to be on PSN already, almost every other Metal Gear game except 4 is. That way I could play them again on my Vita!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crud, I had this huge chunk of corrupted data that I needed to format my hard drive to get rid of--I managed to save the files of most of my more recent games in cloud space, but now it's taking forever to synch trophy data.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Kick rear end! Now, if only they added more additional gameplay, things would be perfect. I guess I have PeaceWalker for that though. Still, I love trophies, so this is good.

I bet that this will mostly just be an online version of the emblems you'd get at the end of MGS4 to unlock stuff, but even so, that'd be sweeet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I just plugged MGS4 back in and WOW I forgot how much the game completely kicks your rear end if you don't commit to total stealth starting out.

That surround indicator really is a great idea, though.

I did a Big Boss run once...years ago...and it totally burned me out. Definitely not something you want to try without the Solar Gun, at least.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

12 minutes initial install, 2-3 minutes install for the quarter-chapters. For me, anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Early reports of Rainbow Moon are pretty promising, anyone tried it yet?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Naughty Dog are really great at having a ton of things happen in a very short time in their cutscenes. They've had this going on for years, I can trace it at least back to when they made Jak II (I say this because I've been replaying the Jak HD collection...) It is extremely efficient writing and I love it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Guys, it's not Uncharted. It's Uncharted crossed with I Am Alive.

Some of the stuff in the list he can create is sugar. I wonder what that's used for... monster bait?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, Jak and Daxter #1 is like a more-punchy Super Mario 64. This is not a bad thing. I think I may actually try to platinum this game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Played all of those multiple times, though I'm pretty much out of the fighting game biz. I want good combat + exploration, and like Shalinor said, having both is really tough. Hell, Metroid/Metroidvania games are absolutely what I am talking about as well, but how many of those are there?

Well it's a different genre entirely, but if you want a game that can waste 200 hours of your life Disgaea 4 isn't a bad choice.

Or download Warriors Orochi 3.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

So JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD is a thing that is happening. August 21/22 XBLA/PSN for 20 bucks. Capcom will be streaming the game from Comic Con at noon PDT today according to their twitter.

Interesting that this is happening now when Namco Bandai have a brand new JoJo fighter coming out.

I was a big fan of Jojo's and I've heard nothing but cool things about the old fighting game for it, so this will probably be one to check out. Neat! Thanks for the head's up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's definitely the only fighting game with a bird and a dog as player characters (not some kind of anthropomorphized bird and dog, just normal ones).

There's nothing normal about a hawk with ice powers and a dog with sand powers!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Sorry to interrupt the fighting-game talk, but is there any good Final-Fantasy Tactics-like game for the PS3 or should I go straight for the PSOne port?

Well this game called "Rainbow Moon" just got released on PSN.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

What are some good 2 man games to play on the PS3? I've got two controllers but only bought single player games, time to fix that. I was thinking Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, Mortal Kombat and probably some racing game. I've played Dirt games on PC, are they any good on PS 3?

Also, how is Vanquish? Looks interesting but kinda "standard" action at the same time

Against regular enemies Vanquish isn't TOO different from your standard cover-based shooter. Where the game really shines is when larger transforming robot enemies that fill the screen with bullet hell appear. The other thing that makes Vanquish stand out is that you have a rocket booster/speed booster on your back that either lets you zoom all over the place (in fact, you get penalized for hiding in cover too long) or to slow down time for a couple of seconds so you can quickly unleash some precision burst fire.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DangerKat posted:

Welp, finished God of War III tonight. It was awesome.

They don't make 'em like that everyday, do they? It's rare that something actually lives up to the hype.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Got the Ultimate Red Dead Redemption bundle. So far, am not regretting it one bit except that I have to re-train my hands to its controls which are a bit off from other games. I keep holstering a weapon when I want to fire it and so on. At least I haven't killed my own horse by accident yet.

It seems like the primary source of early income is hunting as many animals as possible? Well, time to wipe out the local indigenous species of jackrabbits...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

War of the Monsters?

Pretty fun, though it's not necessarily a long-lasting game. I like to think of it as the spiritual successor to the old SNK "King of the Monsters" game, if anyone remembers that. It's a two-person arena fighting game that is usually in a small city or something that you beat the poo poo out of along with your opponent, and they have some surprising damage modules and a wide variety of monsters.

They have a Godzilla, a giant preying mantis, a Japanese robot, an American robot, a King Kong, a giant Tiki Statue, a monster made out of electricity and one eyeball, and I think a few others. The only thing missing from the lineup would be a 50-Foot Woman.

...come to think of it, it'd be pretty funny to have a 50-Foot Woman. Instead of having different appearance skins like the other monsters, she'd be clad in different posters that she grabbed from a building and wore like a bath towel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, wow, I've never heard of this thing. This is great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

Just to add to this, Alaska isn't an eternal winter hell unlike it's every appearance in media.

Just ten months out of the year.

And California isn't Earthquake Central!

More like forest fire central. There was one time a few years ago where the sky was so black the sun looked red. Woof...

Anyway, I was always a huge fan of the original True Crime: Streets of LA, so I'll way be looking forward to Sleeping Dogs. Even if Sleeping Dogs looks to be a lot more serious and less goofy than True Crime (which could be a good thing in many people's books).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

ParkingtigersX on PSN, add me you fools.

Ask and ye shall recieve. sickly17 on PSN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shinobi for PS2 on the PSN store. I'd be more tempted except I remember how badly it kicked my rear end years ago.

• Locked thread