Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

You know, I think I really am starting to get annoyed with the assassin's creed games. Its such a time consuming game. What I mean by that is that in between running around in the open world and trying to find out what I need to do, you can easily spend an hour not having done a single quest.

I think I am just going to start powering through the main missions in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood until they force me to do the other stuff.

I completely agree. Them coming out every year just contributes to it. After some point I ignored all side stuff in Brotherhood pretty much because I was still burnt out and feeling AC2 was too long of a game. I still enjoyed them both a lot and the endings are definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

the truth posted:

How does that compare to complaining that a game is too short?

It is definitely better. I am glad they put in too much optional stuff and it doesn't usually block you from powering through with "Do this many tedious pointless missions to unlock next interesting mission/story beat."

They are well designed games with interesting open worlds and its pretty weird feeling like you've had your fill of that at some point but it happens. Brotherhood will definitely be a game that is hard to forget, I kept having flashbacks to certain areas as I watched The Borgias.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

I really disliked the UC3 beta at the start because some core gameplay mechanics had changed from what I knew and loved with UC2's multiplayer. By the end of the beta though I was absolutely loving everything about it and I have no doubts that Uncharted 3 will have an excellent multiplayer component that will be popular for a very long time. As it stands right now, Uncharted 3 is my most anticipated release of this year, and that's solely because of the multiplayer portion of the game.

Twisted Metal will obviously be the best multiplayer game of 2012 :3:

I am with you, UC3 took just a little bit before you fall in love with it. I like how the maps have nice variety that plays to the strength of the traversal more than some UC2 maps. Plenty of smaller battlefields with multiple entrances and exits, for having exciting firefights and occasionally popping up where you aren't expected and actually getting stealth kills.

As much as I am looking forward to Twisted Metal, I am getting more hyped for Starhawk. This new trailer for Starhawk is pretty great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PriJPNUOqjI&feature=player_embedded

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Man I don't need any more encouragement to buy $60 of stuff on PSN in October. The hard part is standing back and being able to see if I'll ever have time to play all of these. New NBA Jam, PJ Side Scroller and that infamous thing stand out. Not sure if fall is the time to be reaching back to PS2 games though. Dungeon Defenders looks interesting too. Now if only some good Rock Band songs would come out.

Can I fit in any of those between Batman and Rage/Dark Souls (I still don't know which one I want to pick up tomorrow, such a hard fucken choice, and to think Twisted Metal was originally coming out tomorrow, good choice on the delay.)

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Jjaarreett posted:

Anyone else looking forward to inFamous 2: Festival of Blood? Haven't really heard a peep about it other than vampires, $15, standalone content. I just got my inFamous 2 plat and I really have a soft spot for these games so I'm probably gonna get it although the price point is a bit of a turnoff. Undead Nightmare turned out great so if its just as fun/long I'll have no problem dropping the moolah.

Congrats, pre-order went up on the store tonight. $10, $8 for PS+. I'll be getting it too. New enemies and hopefully a bunch of new powers would make this worth while for me. Infamous 2 is very fun.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Thank you Telltale! Thank you thank you thank you!

Oh my god, Payday comes out that day too?! I need another PSN card!

Payday sounds like a good game and in trailers it may look like a good game, but have you seen that thing in action? It does not look fun. I am talking bland environments with waves of terrible AI running at you at all times. Nothing I have seen really shows it as playing like a heist at all. I looked into it when it was part of that September program and was immediately discourage from participating.

But I will be considering both Rocketbirds and Dungeon Defenders.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
My Arkham City didn't come in the mail today, I was hoping to buy a bunch of stuff on the store in my grief and then get batman before they are installed. PS Blog put up like five articles about various games releasing today, it's a shame it's not going to be today in my timezone it seems.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
When I play Batman I pretend I am entering super villians' games in Dark Souls and killing them over and over again.

Arkham City is just a joy to play if you have any interest in Batman. It's so dense with detail you will play it for an hour and feel like you read 5 comic books while watching a episode of the 90s cartoon. Not finished with it yet and it has already surpassed Portal 2 as my favorite game so far this year, and Portal 2 is still fresh in my mind.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Millions posted:

Has anyone checked out Pixeljunk Sidescroller yet? There's so many games I want to buy this next month but I could proooobably spare an extra :10bux: if Sidescroller as good as the other Pixeljunk games...

I picked up that and the Infamous Blood Fest thing. They both seem pretty short but quite fun. Sidescroller isn't as good as Shooter, but shooter was just a fantastic toy with a lot of fun levels (that didn't feel like a lot because they were so fun you wanted more).

Its structured like an arcade game, it looks to have maybe 15 levels that are about 10 minutes each maybe. More could unlock, and higher difficulties will definitely unlock. I mainly look forward to getting someone else to play with, local only, and dodging some bullets. Hopefully the higher difficulties make things appropriately more crazy.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

In Fallout 3 and New Vegas both I found that I could get my save file as big as about 10 mb before the world basically just fell apart. Frame rate would drop to about 5 before it would freeze for about 5 minutes.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Fallout games on the PS3. I always spend a ton of time in the worlds -- usually more than I spend in any other game -- but by the time I finish everything off I'm often frustrated and just rushing to end it.

I will be very interested to hear if Skyrim fixes this: does anyone have a gigantic save file yet?

No, but it's slowly getting bigger and I am starting to encounter some momentary pauses and very temporary frame rate issues. Not a single freeze or crash yet though. I am quite happy with it so far.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

Do you put quarters in your PS3? If not, there's no reason to attract you. It might be similar to an attract mode, but it's not one.

Surely they have done attract modes for DLC by now. Wait too long on a menu and hey there have a look at this sexy car pack available on the Playstation Network Store.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Prologue is pretty sweet so far, just good god there are a lot of these "ending images" to unlock.

Also I've seemingly gone retarded and cannot remember what Bound moves Kazuya/Jin have to link into Tag Combos or what a "Balcony Break" is.

Is there online play for Tekken Tag HD?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't think the intention was to nuke the planet, they just wanted to destroy Stahl's ship since it was so dangerous and packing some nasty form of new bio weaponry on it. The problem was that when it hit, since the ship was over a huge well of the stuff (as well as containing a whole bunch of weaponry developed with it) it obviously triggered a chain reaction that none of the ISA guys expected. You even hear them act shocked at the end about the whole planet being fried, and Rico expresses sadness at whatever fate they assume fell upon the population of Helghan since their whole goal was to simply stop Stahl.

Regarding what happens in that cutscene after the credits? Yeah that shocked me too v:shobon:v It will be interesting to see what happens in Killzone 4, but I can only assume that the game won't take place on Helghan. If for whatever reason it does, I really hope we get to see more of the jungle environments because holy poo poo were they done brilliantly.

Jungle? There was 3 foot high grass that somehow made you invisible without being very thick even. I mean, I know you are fucken short in that game but its hard to believe that is a jungle and that they thought it qualified as a fun stealth section.

KIllzone 3 had some great stuff though, the Jetpack sections were fantastic and the last act on the ship was great fun. The gently caress off super weapon you get is kinda cool but a step back from the lightning hose from KZ2.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

All of you unworthy gently caress-badgers who got into Starhawk and haven't said anything about how fun it is or isn't are a disgrace.

gently caress you, you gently caress-sandwiches.

ME... if someone had given ME a code... I would be letting everyone know how good, bad, broken, whatever it is.

BECAUSE SOME OF US WANT TO loving KNOW, OK?!

:)

Jesus gently caress, I know. It is terrible not having a code. I checked out some beta footage yesterday and I am jonesing so hard and I never even played Warhawk. I even played ps1 Warhawk just to shut part of my brain up. Don't do that.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Best news related to Last of Us is the news that Naughty Dog is now a two team studio so it could be assumed there is a second project in early stages of development in addition to Last of Us. I wish I saved the tweet mentioning this a few hours ago.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't remember what they were even fighting about. What would Ocelot have done if he had won?

Ocelot accomplished his objective of destroying the Patriots with your help. Only he wished to replace the AI control with his control so he could re-establish Big Boss' vision for a world where soldiers were not merely tools. Big Boss himself though comes to see he should stop loving with the world on such a scale.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

In UC1? Did they add that or something, because I very clearly remember not being able to do it in that game.

I think maybe the option was patched in around the time they added trophies.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Regarding the Starhawk beta, with the code from UC3, when does that one become open?

They say they will announced the date that one opens in a few weeks. The closed beta ends on Jan 3rd I believe, I hope the open beta is late jan and early feb. Give me something to do til Kingdoms of Amalur/Twisted Metal/SSX/Mass Effect 3.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Scyron posted:

Kratos should be reincarnated as a butterfly that has to take on the Norse Gods this time around.

Actually he comes back as Mistletoe, the only thing on the planet that wasn't asked to swear not to kill Baldur.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Twisted Metal Black coming to the PSN as a PS2 Classic... if you buy a first print copy of Twisted Metal

Hey just put Black on the PSN so I can buy it without dropping $60 on the new thing thanks

I wouldn't assume its only for purchasers of the new game. Just only free for them.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Skittle Wood posted:

I heard the Black download is coming without the cutscenes. I'm going to a Twisted Metal event thursday, if I get a chance I'll ask Jaffe about it.

Jaffe confirmed on twitter that this is true for Euro copies of Twisted Metal, because that was the case with the original TM Black for that territory.

I love following Jaffe on twitter. Every now and then he goes off swearing about game journalists or something else. Then later he posts the fucken cookies his kids made. But most of the time he is just so honestly passionate about delivering a fun Twisted Metal game that I can't help but ignore some of the rough edges.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I imagine the fact that those cutscenes were never localized or rated in those territories would make them not worth the bother. Jaffe would probably cite the reason he decided not to do 14 story ending videos for the current game - people will just look them up on Youtube anyway.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Obviously the short awaited sequel to Uncharted 3, Uncharted III-2.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

As a new PS3 owner, what is the deal with PS2 classics? I bought an assload of old PS1 games that I grew up with, and got excited to see what PS2 stuff they had. There were like 10 games and I had never heard of the majority of them. Is it just too much work to put them on the network? Are all PS2 games back compatible or something, or does Sony just not give a poo poo about adding PS2 games? I mean looking at the new releases and seeing a Spongebob game as the only new PS2 content seems like an insult, if anything.

They have been adding PS1 games and building that digital library for years on PSN (Now SEN I suppose). Only relatively recently did they start rolling out PS2 digital copies. We just need to bear with it and give it time I bet.

Edit: If you think of it, slowly rolling out PS2 classics will be hard to please everyone. PS2 has such a large library the chances of your desired gems coming out soon is probably slim. It is frustrating that we see Spongebob while so many classics are out there with people waiting for them. The PSOne classics eventually had great moths where all the Square or Konami games started rolling out, hopefully PS2 gets to that soon.

At this rate they will still be re-releasing PS2 games on the PS3 well into the PS4s life. Hopefully the PS4 has a more generous backwards comparability and will run PS2 games that have been specifically altered to run emulated on the PS3.

Neon Knight fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 8, 2012

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

The PS4 needs to straight-up support SackBoy at the OS level as an answer to Miis and Avatars.

I hear it will let you install a Other OS, as long as that OS is made out of felt and cardboard.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
drat, this weeks list of Playstation releases really hurts me. 5 sequels to some of my favorite Playstation franchises all in the same week and 4 of them are on a handheld console I do not want.

Oh well, at least Twisted Metal is awesome. But I would love to have a new Uncharted, Super Stardust, Lumines and WipEout to play.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

DiminishedAngel posted:

gently caress Flash, Green Lantern first.

The Green Lantern already had a terrible movie tie in. Give it time to heal.

They already made a Flash game, in Arkham City when you get a combo high enough Batman channels the speed force and fucks everyone up.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

sentrygun posted:

I'm pretty sure a few games like Uncharted 1 were developed to use the SixAxis, probably because Sony was giving some kind of incentive because it was their big thing that they still had motion control despite being a normal controller.

I don't think the SixAxis has ever worked properly for me in any game I've seen it used in.

Flower?

My most bizarre memory of SixAxis is the revelation that it controlled the camera in Noby Noby Boy. Made zooming in and out like casting a fishing rod.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Azruelli posted:

Thankfully a few games also had the option to disable Six-Axis controls, examples I think were found in Killzone 2 and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I'm particularly grateful for it in RaCF: ToD because the falling sections were unwieldy as heck, where it was just more innocuous in KZ2.

The sizaxis sniper scope wobble in KZ2 could actually be used to great advantage. It was sensitive and allow for sudden minor movements that the analog stick just could not do.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

So the much ballyhooed Spring Fever sale is... a percentage off the Call of Duty games? That's loving it? gently caress off, Sony; stop wasting my time. :mad:

They are giving the impression that it is like a 4 week long sale with new stuff each week. Fingers crossed at least.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I also liked how you could tell who the thugs have sided with. Dr. Hugo's thugs are swat team, Joker's are dressed like clowns, Two Face, half of their suits are burned, etc.

Arkham City goes to crazy lengths with detail and this is just one of my favorite examples. Not only does every Super villain have thugs with various models dressed up in their theme, but after you take out Penguin early on what happens to his goons? They join up with Joker or Two-Face and you start seeing their uniforms modded to fit a second super villain theme.

Rocksteady is just crazy with detail. Two-Faces' courthouse is trashed on one side and pristine on the other. Penguins' museum is one big twisted trophy case for his sadistic ego. The outdoors doesn't feel copy and pasted because every inch is either covered in an objective, a riddle challenge or a little Easter egg reference. Some people prefer the scope and focus of AA, but I feel that there is much more reward to taking in the atmosphere in City which is ultimately the incentive to take off the detective vision some people wanted.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I just got Mass Effect 2 (yeah, 2...shut up.)

Anything important I should know before starting? Like don't ever choose XYZ, or always do thing?

I also never played the first one, not having a 360.

Near the end of the game poo poo can go down and a bunch of people can die if you do too many missions before addressing that situation. it is up to you if you care or not, they don't impact ME3 a lot.

Squad members can bite it in the last mission for various reasons, I would suggest just playing through naturally without looking at a guide just to experience loving up and then decide if you want to deal with it or go again. Since you meet pretty much all of them in ME3 it's kinda a big deal if you care about the specific character.

Example: Tali died in my ME2 ending and I didn't give a poo poo. As a reward in ME3 missions that would have been Tali focused had a different Quarian voiced by Claudia Black instead. Net win.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

There's loads of poo poo that isn't explained properly really: (sort of spoilers but not since none of it gets answered)

Drake's real identity, what actually happened to his parents and how he ended up in Cartahagna

Sully's relationship with Marlowe or his whole past for that matter

What happened between Drake and Elena to make them split up yet AGAIN

the fact that Chloe and Cutter just gently caress off for the last third of the game and aren't mentioned again and the relationship between them

They also really don't explain what the villains are up to in Iram until very late on in the last area (after you fight a couple of waves of Djinn warriors that aren't real)

Drakes previous identity doesn't matter because he has had his current one for the majority of his life. He latched onto Drake because he liked the idea of greatness of small beginnings. More focus is placed on if he can grow out of the adventure seeker identity that a child used to escape reality.

Sully seems to just be a treasure hunter/rogue like Drake/Chloe/Harry who are willing to work for the highest bidder, in that case Marlowe.

I wouldn't say AGAIN. I don't think there were an item between UC1 and 2. Likely Drake choosing to live a more constantly more dangerous life soured Elena on the relationship because it is the only thing she really admonishes him for.

Chloe and Cutter though, yeah, I could have used more of them but she didn't really get any strings that got left hanging in my opinion. Cutter though has been explained before in that he did indeed have his appearance cut shorter than ND would have liked.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Playstation Plus is on a roll and its May line up looks great. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/24/playstation-plus-may-preview-free-awesomenauts-trine-2-rock-of-ages-pixeljunk-4am-beta/

I am rewarded for not buying Trine 2 and Rock of Ages by getting them free. A interesting 2d MOBA thingy, Awesomenauts, is free on release day. 2 PS1 Castlevania games, SOTN and Chronicles are free. Hell, even the free mini, Velocity, looks pretty good.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I am assuming the demo only really gives you an idea about the combat. I would have liked to see what the actual exploring or RPG elements may have been like. The two big fights were pretty fun even though they may have felt like it lacked finesse. Little disappointed my party would destroy most the small monsters I encountered before I knew what was going on. I enjoyed it but am still on the fence.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

Other than the fact that literally every character seems to be full-on retarded, I'm enjoying it. Well, that and the fact that some of the QTEs are bullshit because the window's so short. The only way I was able to do some of them was to grip the controller weirdly and operate the right thumbstick with my left thumb and the buttons with my right thumb. I'd estimate(going off the trophy list here) that I'm a little more than halfway through the first episode and those are the two problems that have stood out to me.

Edit: That's especially funny now that I read in Telltale's FAQ about the game that "QTEs do not form a major part of game-play." That is a flat out lie. A very significant percentage of gameplay is very difficult QTEs. Failing any QTE is an instant game over.

I found the controls simple and fairly inspired. You just use the 2 sticks and and you can use either the face buttons or the d-pad interchangeably, depending on which thumb is most available at the moment except for in the few "mash X then press Tri or Circle" moments. But most of the time if it says X to do an action it means X or Down on the Dpad because the commands come up on a big Dpad looking cross. I picked up on that rather quick but I can see how some people could miss it because the game doesn't assume you are as retarded as the radio lady.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
First impression, I like that it looks like they are having fun with the levels. Patapon level with giant god of war Hades mixed in for example.

Besides that, it looks to be ripping off Smash Bros very faithfully and I won't complain if the quality is there.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

If this game can give me Kratos with his God Armor as an alternate costume, This is gonna be Game of the Forever for me.

His level 3 super puts on the Aries armor and gives him a new powerful move set, if that is what you were talking about.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Apparently they are streaming it in an hour on Playstation Blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

DangerKat posted:

Yeah, that's how it feels. I've read that UC2/UC3 Crushing difficulties aren't nearly as unforgiving. It's frustrating because it completely changes the way you approach the pirates. Why am I addicted to platinums that I subject myself to this!!!

You're lucky. I satisfied the requirements for the Uncharted 1 plat before it had trophies. No way am I doing it again to get it. I just had so few games at the time that it seemed like a worthwhile endeavor, but I seem to remember enjoying the difficulty at the time.

• Locked thread