Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I just beat LA Noire. God drat, once it all came together, it was really amazing and the story was really good.

I'm confused about one of the trophies though. Killing people using every weapon in the game. Did I need to kill someone using the flamethrower? Because if so, there was never an opportunity to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't it. No idea what guns I'm missing.

I don't know what other guns you might have missed, but the one that I missed which threw me for a loop was the handgun you get at the start of the game when you're a beat cop. I think your only chance to use it is during the bank robbery in the intro stuff, and you have to purposefully ditch the shotgun to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That song is a thing of beauty.

They already gave the chocobo song lyrics in the original FF13 it's only natural they would go... farther with it.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Aw, I'm kind of disappointed that pretty much confirms it's not a co-opable experience. I was looking forward to possibly enjoying a full Naughty Dog game with a friend.

It still looks drat pretty though. Naughty Dog folks are seriously wizards with the PS3 graphics. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Resonance of Fatechat: Just got to Jalopy Golem, HALF TRUCK, HALF MONSTER and holy gently caress. :stare: I am getting ruined. I think I just breezed through other stuff too quick and got lucky, and now I just hit a wall where I need to go and invest in upgrades to my guns and levelling a little. I feel like I just can't scratch his armor/equipment enough.

If you have someone with it, you should try getting them to do the full scratch damage skill off on him. That's how I beat him since gently caress doing that fight legitimately. :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

I hate everyone who got to play Journey before it launches. I would've gotten it with PS+ in a heartbeat if it was available to me but I'll have to wait until the actual launch.

When I get to play it, we'll all be PS3-buddies again but for now, screw youuuu. :arghfist::saddowns:

I'm with you man. All this talk about Journey is getting me both excited and sad that I have to wait on it. :(

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Okay I haven't touched RoF in ages and I was on like the last chapter grinding the arena, so while we're still talking about it, I have to ask.

Can you actually move where the gun itself is in the customization area? I've seen screens of it in the corner, in the dead middle, etc. Yet I never noticed anything that would let me move it. Was I just missing an obvious option?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Pick an accessory, and when you're going to place it use the right stick to move the gun.

Didn't realize that either at first but boy does it open one's options up. :v:

Oh! Well then, that should make things a hell of a lot more interesting for me when I try going back to it. Thanks man.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Don't do this. It's not worth it. Really.

Ahaha I was grinding it up so I could get monster drops, thankfully. I have noooooo plans to grind out the arena entirely for trophies.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
So there are sreens floating around now of in game stuff for Lost Planet 3 now.

Is anyone at all legitimately excited for this? LP2 is easily one of my favorite PS3 games due to how ridiculously fun the co-op was but it kind of looks like LP3 is going to be single player which makes me just have... absolutely no interest in it. :(

Playing 2 with friends was amazing, but solo it was just... not so much. I'm really hoping they're hiding him having some partners or something.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Harlock posted:

May 22nd, 2012

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (RPG) - $49.99 MSRP / 64.99 Collector's Edition (NIS Store Only)

Anyone have anything to say about Meruru? I played Rorona and had fun with it, but I skipped Totori. Would I be fine picking up Meruru without playing the second one?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
If DoA was on a console I owned, I'd definitely still play it! :v:

I'm actually really excited that I'm going to get to play it again. It was one of my favorite fighters back in the day.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Personally I think my favorite thing about the original Dead Space was the fact that Isaac didn't talk during the whole thing. It made the whole exprience a lot more unnerving and unsettling for me, as the only communication I had was other characters and the rest of the time it was just logs or flat out silence.

My big worry with 3 is that it won't have the same kind of atmosphere. I mean the fact that the 'drop in co-op' buddy cracks wise and is a military dude kind of ruins that aspect, but more they challenge I'm curious as to see if they can pull off is if they can make it at all scary for two people when they're chatting over a headset.

Basically if they can manage to make me have to go gently caress in the middle of a sentence with my co-op partner due to something spooking me or jumping out, I'll be sold.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
If you get RoF a word of warning: Don't go too far in the arena your first time through the game.

I made the mistake of trying to go through a bunch of it before taking on what I assume would be the final dungeon or second to final, and it just burnt me out entirely on the game and I shamefully still haven't gone back to finish it properly. It's a really great game, just. Don't get caught in the grinding trap. Unless you really really like grinding, then you'll love the arena. :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I still remember how for the majority of my time playing I didn't know you could rotate the parts you could put on your gun. Boy did that open a whole new world of ridiculous possibilities for me when I figured it out. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly convinced that 90% of the people who like FFVII like a game they remember that doesn't exist. If they did a photorealistic version of all the insane cartoony poo poo that was in FFVII, it would be completely ridiculous, and I think people forget that stuff exists.

I don't think they need a photorealistic version, I'd rather have it stay cartoony myself. Like knock it down a few pegs to Tales Of series style, not the hyperrealistic style the latest FF's always go for.

Though I think if they kept in the whole Wall Market sequence and redid that in HD with nicer graphics it would be the best and funniest thing. I don't think any FF has ever done something as goofy as that since. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I always find seeing people talk about RDR funny, since while I played through it once and it took me a long time to do it, it is my dad's favorite game ever as he played it to 100% three times. Three! Including side quests and stuff. That goddamn amazes me.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I played DS1 and DS2 as Plasma Cutter only and it's still very fun to play that way in both. When I played, it was about keeping your Stasis very high and loading up on rounds and it was a challenging but never unfair way to play. For the sequel, I didn't intend to play Plasma Cutter primary but ended up doing that with a handful of physics kills and one or two shots of weapons because it was a satisfying way to play.

Man, now that I think about it, that's going to be one thing I'll be really sad about in DS3. Since they've cannibalized the guns into dual purpose two-in-one and stuff, you won't be able to do a "One Gun" run anymore... That's gonna be a drat shame. My One Gun hardest difficulty run on DS1 was one of the most intense and awesome replays of a game I've ever had.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Scyron posted:

I don't get it. I thought plasma cutter only on the hardest difficulty for both games made the game trivial since you only need to worry about 1 gun to upgrade, and the suit, instead of spreading resources thin between multiple weapons.

In the case of that and me saying it was intense, it was just... well, it was my third replay proper after I hadn't played the game in about 6 months, so all that memorizing I had of enemy spawns and being used to using the line gun and rifle just kind of went flying out the window when I played it with just the cutter. I admit it wasn't as edge of my seat as my first time through, but it was the only time I've ever felt near the exact same experience when replaying a game as when I first played it. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't think it's possible to hate LBP after you've played it with friends online / offline. Sure some of it might seem extra difficult or impossible at times due to how it handles multiple players, but at the same time that's what made it so fun for me. Heck I've been playing through LBP2 a bit at a time since PS+ with a friend and it's a ton of fun. And I haven't even done any player made maps with them yet, just the story stuff!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I mained Charlotte when I played HoD with my usual co-op partner... She might be a total grind but she can be a lot of fun if you know what spells to set up. In particular if you get the retro spells. Not to mention she can get some ridiculous damage output later on. As I found though, that damage output can only get you so far if you want to play solo... Charlotte is definitely a character to play when you have someone else with you. Soloing with her is a huge pain against some bosses.

... now I kind of want to boot it up again. There are a few grindy trophies I have to get still.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a crucial little bit in the controls for Darksiders 2 that they utterly hosed up. Like in the first game, there are time bombs that you have to quickly pick up and throw at things. However, this time, the bombs are physics'd and roll away if you run into them, with the apparent density of beach balls (a common problem in most games with a physics engine). They have to be stationary for you to get the prompt to pick them up, or you can mash circle all day and you won't do it. It's making this otherwise simple as hell boss fight absolutely infuriating, just trying to chase down bombs that I kicked away by accident, until they blow up in my face.

I know you're complaining and that's totally reasonable one, but the visual of Death chasing after a bomb as he keeps kicking it further away with his big honking feet makes me cackle.

Also re; Bloodrayne. While I'm enjoying the game and finally have a good feel for the combat, I really really wish there was a way to jump higher other than just the backflip. It made the bit after the elevator in stage 4 such a pain in the rear end when it would have been so simple if I could have just wall jumped a bit.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive...

:roflolmao:

I have not been so legitimately mad about a exclusive in a long time. I hate it so goddamn much when series jump brands or consoles for sequels. I know everyone swears up and down the PS3 Bayonetta was a awful port but goddammit the first wasn't even on the Wii! Makes no sense... :argh:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

October content for Euro PS+ subscribers has been announced.

Sony will be putting up Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, Bulletstorm and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (which includes all DLC and Move support).

Oh poo poo, Bulletstorm. I wanted to play that really bad after the demo way back but other games kept coming out that made me forget about it entirely. I probably never would have got around to play it if not for this sudden PS+ offering. Now I know I can't let it pass me by. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Re: RE6.

I played it for pretty much six straight hours co-op last night and had a ton of fun. Once I got the hang of the controls it was a absolute blast. Played two chapters each of Jake/Sherry and Leon/Helena. Those Leon chapters were really long... Jake's took an hour each, while Leon's both took is about two hours. Though we did take our time and explore as much as we could, so...

Still, I can't help but laugh at all the bad review scores now since there are only a few minor complaints I've had which were largely my own fault for not being smarter about the game mechanics. Mainly involving dodging and ducking...

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've been curious about Dishonored as well. I preordered it for my dad for his birthday as he really liked Assassin's Creed and Skyrim, and Dishonored kind of sounds like it might be some bizarre combo of the two in a way, so I'm hoping he'll like it. And if he likes it I'll probably consider getting it for myself.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Mug posted:

Brightness settings in games are always loving dumb. I just leave them on default.

"Adjust the brightness so you can see the Helghast symbol" = pitch black screen at 500000% brightness; game burns your eyes with the fury of 10,000 suns.
"Adjust the brightness so the BSAA emblem is barely visible" = game is just black.

Yeah, this. Just leave the RE6 brightness to default. I couldn't even turn it down low enough to not see the 6 symbol like it asked, so I tried turning it down once I was in game to see how dark it would get and gently caress that noise. 20 is a perfectly acceptable setting. My TV already has some pretty goofy brightness settings, no need to fiddle further.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Killer is Dead has a main character whose arm turns into a drill, so even if it's awful I'm going to love it. :colbert:

And I still have the final level/boss to go through, but I've really enjoyed Lollipop Chainsaw. Perhaps I'm just too easily amused by parody and meta humor...

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
As far as the PS4 goes, I might have got a PS3 right close to release, but if the PS4 can't play PS3 games via disc out the box I'll probably be waiting until there's a decently sized library to dip into to make that investment. I wouldn't want my shiny new console sitting around with nothing to play on it!

It's kind of ridiculous how strongly I've resisted portable gaming for the past years. I didn't cave on the 3DS or the Vita, yet given how I already own a handful of Vita games thanks to PS+... If I ever do give in, I at least know I'll have a few things to play on it right away.

God I love PS+ now.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

So what's everyone looking forward to this year? I think a lot of games still have very tentative release dates and it's starting to look barren for a while after we get Metal Gear Rising and Last of Us.

I am super excited for Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, Last of Us, Killer is Dead and Tales of Xillia... I feel like I don't really need to list Dead Space 3 or Revengence since they are right around the corner. And of course if it seriously comes out this year, I'll preorder Dark Souls II the second it has a release date.

Then there's all the stuff that I'm interested in but will probably wait a bit to get, since I have a backlog of stuff from last year to clear out still. Stuff like Tomb Raider, Atelier Ayesha, Sly Cooper, Lord of Shadows 2, Dragon's Crown, Deadly Premonition, RE: Revelations...

So as far as I'm concerned this year has quite a bit of stuff I'm looking forward to. There are even a few games from the last year or two I can go pick up during any empty space.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
MGS4 is essentially what got me on board to want a PS3 near release, so if Ground Zeroes gets confirmed for PS4 launch or near launch I will have my hands tied.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

Which Disgaea is superior, the first or second?

What are you asking here, gameplay or story? Original Disgaea has by far the better story and characters, but it doesn't have attack animation skipping which is honestly the biggest issue of going back to it as far as I'm concerned. That can be fixed with literally any of the alternative non-PS2 versions though.

Yet this is the PS3 thread, and Disgaea 4 is really, really good both in characters, story and gameplay. Not to mention the HD sprites. So unless you really want to dip into the originals, I'd say just spring for 4.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am so jealous of you Europe PS+ guys. We still haven't got Bulletstorm for free and that's one I was hoping we'd get after you!! :argh:

C'mon NA PS+ step it up next month. :(

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The worst part about AC3 is that Connor doesn't know how to double assassinate while in low profile. :argh:

Other than that frustrating detail I've had fun with AC3 so far, though I'm barely half way through it. AC4 looks soooooooooooo good though. I'm a sucker for pirates and dual wielding swords. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm going to just be clever and quietly put all the free Vita games from PS+ in my shopping cart, then someday when a Vita game comes out that is actually a must have for me, or there's just a price drop, I might cave for one.

For now though I'll just keep building up the digital Vita library that I can't actually play yet. :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I thought DS3 was a ton of fun, personally. It's kind of like... well, the RE5 of the series? Okay on your own, but if you play it with a buddy it's a blast. I know that's not what most people wanted out of it-- hell, it's not what I wanted-- but given all the cut corners and lazy side missions, I think it turned out okay. It could be much MUCH better, mind you. But it's not awful.

Though I will say the two scariest moments in the game for me were identical. I walked up to a door to open it an RIGHT BEHIND THE DOOR there was a necromorph who immediately lunged at me which made me scream obscenities and angrily stomp it after it was dead since it scared the bejesus outta me. I felt bad for my friend since I was on edge for a good minute after that each time. :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm playing Spec Ops on Suicide Mission since, well, it said it's for veterans and I've played my fair share of third person shooters. Though I honestly thought Spec Ops was a FPS up until I loaded it up and was in game. It does seem like it's going to be a quick romp, I played 2 hours last night, 3 or so today and apparently I'm already half way through the game. I'm pretty sure if I was playing on normal I'd actually be right near the end already.

It's surprisingly fun though, considering it's kind of rough around the edges compared to the last few third person shooters I've played. It's neat having allies you can actually command in a game like this. Especially compared to stuff like Uncharted where it seems Sully/Elena/Chloe/etc never do any real damage while you have to do all the work. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

...I'm just curious if there's an actual 'bro' in the situation or if they just used that trophy name for the hell of it.

This is exactly what I'm wondering as well.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Anyone else playing or at least interested in Atelier Ayesha? Just got released a few days ago, and I just finished the first tutorial part. First thing that struck me about it was it's just a really pretty game. It drops the cartoony look of the previous games and goes a bit more realistic, but still plenty stylish. Music's great from what I've heard, but I've only heard about five songs so far.

I'll certainly have more to say about the game as I go further into it, but it's off to a pretty promising start.

I'm very interested, but I have to wait a few months to get it since I'm clearing my backlog. How does the dub hold up compared to the one in Totori? Totori had hands down the best dub of the three originals as far as I'm concerned, so I'm pretty curious how it compares since there's no dual audio this time.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been trying to get my feelings straight recently about shooting people in games. I was upset to learn that both Tomb Raider and (apparently) Bioshock Infinite are mostly about shooting people, but then I remembered one of my favorite games so far this year: Far Cry 3. That sure as hell is about shooting people, but I loved every minute of it. What's different?

Playing Spec Ops got to you, didn't it?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm really looking forward to Dragon's Crown and I am not bothered at all by the designs. In fact I've always liked how exaggerated they all are, I think it works well for it. I'll totally play it with you sometime if you need a ally for co-op, Axleblaze. :colbert:

And from a page or two back, poo poo, the WKC online is completely shutting down? I better actually play WKC2 a bit to hoard some materials...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

And maybe some new decent Resident Evils?

And Lost Planet 4 in the style of Lost Planet 2?

Keep it coming Capcom!

Maybe we'll get EX Troopers in English to tide us over! :D

... I can dream. :(

• Locked thread