Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Austrian mook posted:

Umm, absolutely not. I don't want to come in here and be "that guy" but even being generous to BL2 it's not even top ten last year (which was a very good year for games) no matter what camp you fall into.

Also, I still need to pick up the Last of Us, drat.

By "that guy" do you mean the guy with the different opinion, or the guy who believes his opinion is more right than someone else's? Even if it wasn't the top game BL2 was probably at least in my top 5 last year, and I played every game on your list. Unless you are referring to some canon top ten that I don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Borderlands 1 was a horrible shitfest if you didn't have people to play with. I still have nightmares about running backwards kiting enemies in that game. Is BL2 like this? I don't want to coop it.

I finished BL1 somewhat begrudgingly, mostly because I was bored with it. Despite owning all the DLC through a gameshare I never actually played any of it.

I've put 137 hours into BL2, 134 of which were solo hours. That includes full playthroughs with Zero, Maya and Gaige. I found that the special powers from each class gave me a lot more options than just running backwards, and I usually found the best course of action regardless of class was to be offensive and bring the fight to the enemies. If you're playing solo I think it's helpful to do a lot of the sidequests so that you can keep your level up. Also, if you're playing alone you may find that the TVHM stuff (new game plus) might be a bit too hard -- personally I just found it more fun to start with a new class, rather than bang my head against that wall too much.

My one major problem with BL2 is that it's overly stingy with the good loot. I know this is the PS3 thread, but if you have the option I'd recommend playing the PC version. You can tweak the drop rates into something a little more generous, which I find more fun. That being said, the first 60 or 70 hours I played were completely stock, so I think you can still have a good time on PS3 as well.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is a pretty good puzzle-ly game. It's turn based so there isn't any fast paced action to keep tabs on. The story is very skippable, so fortunately the game lets you do just that. It's one of those 'easy to learn tough to master' kinds of things. It's also quite long, which might work for someone who needs something to keep them occupied.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Ularg posted:

Is there any reason not to go ahead and buy absolutely every free game you get from PS+ just in case you might want to try it out. Including Vita games if you end up getting a Vita someday?

Yeah, just buy everything. It pollutes the hell out of your download list, but you never know when you might want to try something. Having a vast cache of Vita games is actually what tipped me over the edge into Vita ownership. It's nice to buy a new console and immediately have a bunch of cool games to play on it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

BlindNinja posted:

I love the SEN website. Spelunky, Journey, and Tokyo Jungle will all be waiting for me when I get home. I'm jealous that I'm not spelunking now, but feel free to share your impressions so I can live vicariously through you in the meantime :unsmith:.

Clearly you need a Vita for your away-from-home spelunking needs.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I was in the exact same boat in March, and picked one up. I haven't regretted it for a moment. It really is a fantastic device.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So being the only person in the world to not have played Diablo 3 before (I don't have a computer with even the minimum specs :shobon:) is anyone else getting it for some co-op couch action on the PS3? And I'm guessing the decision to remove the Auction House was because a lot of people really didn't like it on PC?

I suppose that's possible, but I suspect is has more to do with the lack of the 'always online' part of PC D3. That was always the big explanation for why D3 is always online: it's for the RMAH. If you have things stored on the machine, you can't likely stop people from duping, and if you can't stop people from duping your auction house becomes a mess. I suspect it's just a risk they don't want to take.

I've already put about 80 hours into PC D3 so I don't know that I would want to put the money into it again, but it does look like a console version might actually be pretty decent.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I enjoyed Heavy Rain for the most part. Sure there are some plot holes and not everything fits, but I forgive those in other games too. The gameplay was different and didn't get in the way too much and the game as a whole was pretty atmospheric. There are some legitimately cool moments and there are some pants-on-head ridiculous moments as well (and not in a good way). I don't regret playing it at all.

Heavy Rain as a game was leagues away from perfect, but I find most of the harshest critics spend more time talking about David Cage than they do the game itself. That's certainly a valid viewpoint, but I'm not surprised that most of the game-buying public (who have no idea who David Cage is) aren't as upset about the game.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The crafting in Kingdoms of Amalur is kinda neat, but I eventually spec'd myself entirely out of blacksmithing. You can make some super over-powered stuff with blacksmithing but it all looks the same. I enjoyed it much more when I would find cool loot and actually look cool wearing it. As mentioned already, the game is already pretty easy so you don't really need overpowered equipment. It also leaves a bunch of points free to put in other stuff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Most games I don't want or need to keep forever -- I play them and then I'm done with them. Losing eventual access to games I'm done with doesn't bother me much.

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to own everything, I just don't feel the need. I get exposed to a lot of new games I might not otherwise try this way as well. PS+ also lead me to pick up a Vita due to all the games I already 'had' and I couldn't be happier with it (and I'm sure Sony is okay with it too).

• Locked thread