Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

stachatoryR posted:

Picked up the Infamous 2 bundle and now finally own a PS3. I also picked up God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Infamous (1), and Prototype.

Are there any other PS3 exclusives that I can't live without? Anything obvious?

• Uncharted 1 and 2
  • MGS4 (if you played/like the story for the rest of the series)
  • Ratchet and clank (both, the PSN game isn't essential)
  • Littlebigplanet 2
  • On the PSN front, try Super Stardust HD, Siren:Blood curse if you like Survival Horror,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

It was quite cool to start Gears of War 3 a few days ago and unlock a bunch of stuff for having achievements in GoW1/2. Do any PS3 games do anything similar?

If you had saves for the previous Ratchet and clank PS3 games you got a discount on new weapons and an extra skin for ratchet.

In Resistance 3 earning trophies (and multiplayer medals) gives you points which you buy extra stuff (like concept art, videos, and in game cheats like infinite ammo, health regen mode and giving enemies better weapons.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Talkc posted:

Let's start with the 360 question. Nope. No 360. Never again. I had 2 break down on me over the time i had them ( from launch till late 2007 ). Between that and having to pay for stuff like p2p multiplayer, i flat out quit consoles for a while.

Next question: Exclusives. Im interested in anything i can play on the system. As far as uncharted goes im definitely interested in it.

I have a friend campaigning for me to get Demon Souls / Dark Souls. Im kinda not interested. They sound interesting, but the lack of true multiplayer coop makes me think twice.

Games i like:
Shooters whose lynchpins arent simple 'deathmatch' or military realism.( Example, I love Team Fortress 2, I freaking hate Call of Duty and Battlefield.)
3rd person action games of all kinds.
RPGS: This is an odd one. I love western style rpgs in the vein of stuff like Elder Scrolls. Im not a big fan of JRPGS.
I love arcadey super fast competative racers.
I love fighting games.
I love anything coop. Cooperative gameplay is usually a huge seller for me.

• The uncharted Trilogy is an absolute must. There's a double pack of the first 2 out now for cheap and the 3rd is out in November.
  • God of War, there are 5 on the PS3 (one native PS3 game, the rest are PS2/PSP games given HD makeovers.) God of war 2 is a fantastic game and 3 should be played just for the :stare: :aaa: feeling of the set-piece battles
  • Resistance 3 plays a lot like Half life 2 and has full campaign co-op. Resistance 2 has an awesome, totally separate 8player co-op mode but if you don't like COD you might not like R2. I dunno what the player base is like now the sequel is out.
  • Metal Gear solid 4 (and the HD collection out next month, which includes the PSP game) If you've played/enjoyed the rest of the series
  • Not a PS3 exclusive, but Red Dead Redemption if you have any interest in GTA-like games. There's a GOTY edition with all the DLC bundled in. RDR is seriously one of the best games I've ever played

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there any important console difference with the MGS collection or is controller preference a good enough reason to base a decision on?

I think the PS3 version has some sort of PSP connectivity? Like shares saves or something?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

I'd bet on it being another Big Boss prequel game. Didn't Kojima show a screenshot from the Fox Engine of Big Boss in a jungle at some talk he did recently or something?

I'd guess this too. There's a big gap in the series between 1974 (Peace walker) and 1995 (MG1) I don't think there is anything between these games? (I haven't played PW yet so I dunno how it leaves the story)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

I just can't think of the last game I played where the pre-rendered cutscenes looked worse than the actual game. If they're compressed I guess it makes sense, since the only real difference is that they look a bit faded or something.

In the God of War collection the in-game cutscenes look hilariously grainy and lovely, especially as when you went back to gameplay everything looked great. Shows what a great job they did on the port I guess?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

Any trip reports on that new Skyrim patch? It's supposed to "improve occasional performance issues resulting from long term play", which I suppose means the horrible lag and freezing that comes from having a big 10+ mb save file.

Apparently 1.2 has hosed up a few things, I dunno how much it fixed the problems either.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-skyrim-patch-1-2-has-resistance-breaking-bug

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

I fully intend to pick up A Crack In Time once I finish Tools of Destruction. What about Quest for Booty, is that worth playing or is it too short to be satisfying.

QFB is only 3-4 hours long and there's no real reason to play again (no challenge mode or anything). Storywise there's nothing too essential, and the intro to ACiT sums it up pretty well. It's still pretty fun, and lots of the Pirates which is always a plus.:yarr:

The uncharted trilogy is also a must.

If you don't have an Xbox 360, Red dead redemption is a fantastic game if you like GTA, as is LA Noire if you like older adventure-style games mixed with GTA mechanics.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is Strangers Wrath any good? I loved the first 2 Oddworld games on the PS1 and was always interested in the game but never had a chance to play it.

Anyone played the HD version?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

Beat Hazard is freakin' amazing. Fat Princess is also great fun and wildly popular online after all this time. Personally I'd add Worms 2, Dungeon Defenders, Wipeout HD and Little Big Planet 2 to that list as well.

Is LBP2 on the PS store? I've got $50 to spend too.

I was gonna pick up Back to the future game for sure, I really enjoyed the demo.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Has anyone picked up Ratchet and Clank: All 4 one? Its pretty fun so far, but I need a Co-Op buddy who's not loving useless. PSN: Spalec86

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

:siren: More PS2 Classics :siren:

Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and of course... three Spongebob Squarepants games?!

These games aren't updated in any way are they? I'd like to play Vice city again but don't know if I could go back to not being able to autosave...

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

From what I understand Resistance 3 is divorced from the whole Nathan Hale plot of the first two games and is its own thing.

The single player is also really, really good I thought. No regenerating health at all (except a cheat code). You don't really need the others two to enjoy it either.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

the truth posted:

Have fun not knowing what the hell is going on. Seriously, it's the final chapter in one of the most story-heavy series ever.

Seriously. The MGS1 is on the store for :10bux: and the MGS collection covers 2, 3 and peace walker (and the 2 MSX games). That covers the entire canon story pretty much.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

csidle posted:

Well, it's not the passive drive noise, it's rather just various louder ones that happened when new resources were loaded. It seemed to stop being so frequent after ten minutes of play though, and now it's pretty rare.

I've been playing Uncharted for about 2 hours, and I'm at the fortress. I was quite enjoying the game, but I wow are the shooting mechanics annoying. They are terrible. The enemies take so many shots unless you get headshots, each one dances around like Agent Smith, they come from all over and the level design is just flat out bad for some of the shooter segments. There are three areas so far, all in the fortress part, where I've had to reload 5-10 if not more times. I can only hope it improves later on in the game, and that it's massively improved in the sequels. Am I playing this wrong? It seems to me like Drake can barely take any shots, so I can't move around much, but if I stay in one spot, I end up getting rushed from all over, and if you don't move around, you'll run out of ammo. It's really frickin' frustrating, and I'd hate to have to go down to easy (playing on normal).

That said, this is the first game in months that I've actually looked forward to seeing the story unfold, and the game as a whole is beautiful (although the facial textures can be suspect up close).

If you're not enjoying it, bump it down to easy. Same experience, just much less frustrating. And when you finish it go and play Uncharted 2 immediately and be amazed how much better it is, in ever sense.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The first Uncharted has some very irritating difficultly spikes here and there, don't be scared to change the difficulty if you keep getting killed at the same checkpoint.

1 is nowhere near the quality of 2 and 3 but it`s still awesome.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

1080p. 60fps. Holy Moley.

I'm amazed that they're keeping the online multi-player in Up Your Arsenal. I kinda wish that the MGS HD collection had done so for Subsistence.

Does anyone know why Deadlocked isn't included? I heard that it isn't that great, but that didn't stop Capcom including Devil May Cry 2 in their HD collection.

Deadlocked was kinda different to the core R&C games right? So maybe they thought it wouldn't fit with the style or something?

I'm glad these are being released, I never played the Ps2 games and loved the Future trilogy.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Mechanigma posted:

Katamari Forever is just a collection of levels from the previous games. Practically nothing new there.

And adding to Samurai Sanders, I played Heavenly Sword for the first time recently, and it's pretty clunky by today's standards, and has quite a bit of annoying MUST USE SIXAXIS stuff that early PS3 games suffered from. A lot of people seem to like it for the cutscene performances though.

All the sixaxis stuff can be turned off in Heavenly sword. It's still a pretty fun God of war style game and the characters/cutscenes are really cool.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If I haven't played either, is Dead rising 2: Off the record a better buy then DR2 vanilla? I don't really care about the story but I liked the photography system from the first and it seems that OTR has had some technical issues fixed. Plus it's $5 cheaper on amazon.ca.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

If you like backflips and better graphics then you will like Twin Snakes more. If you don't like backflips then you will like the original MGS more. The story is the same in both of them. Two of the characters in Twin Snakes lose their accent they had in MGS1 and they stay that way when they come back in MGS4.

The biggest difference between the cutscenes is that any and all action scenes are more ridiculous. Here's an example: in MGS one of the first boss fights is against a tank. When you beat it a guy gets launched from the tank when it blows up, and then Snake takes the keycard from him. In Twin Snakes, Snake beats the tank by throwing a grenade through the tank's cannon and blowing up the cockpit. The soldier that flies out of the tank is on fire and then Snake punches him in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKW96KUaxPE&t=1177s

I like to imagine MGS1 is how it happened and twin snakes is what Snake tells to some girl in a bar he's trying to score with.

:madmax: "So yeah baby, then I through the grenade down the tanks barrel and when the guard flew out on fire I punched him in the face and stole his keycard."

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, I'm in agreement. One of the reasons Dead Rising captured my heart originally was the realtime pressures put on you, which are exceedingly rare in video games. What I don't like are hard stop "game overs" and I wish you could play with her dead but with an appropriate gameplay/ending change.

One of my favorite moments in DR1 was when I got waylaid by a surprise boss on the way back to a critical case moment and the timer expired and I realized I could still play.

Another great one was having to abandon a survivor for a long, long time while I ran to the office for a case and arriving just in time for her to have a sliver of health and then get killed by zombies. It was great and tragic.

If I had my wish for Dead Rising 3, it would be three parallel scenarios that are nigh impossible to sustain simultaneously until you have access keys/superhuman abilities so that the choices you make are more stark and meaningful until you're truly prepared for a 100% clear playthrough. But I'm not totally rational on gameplay and it might make people hate the game. I don't know.

I've just finished my first DR2:OTR run and really enjoyed it. I just hope the next game has less irritating bossfights. I really like the Psychopath idea but the execution is a bit wonky.

And none of those loving Gas Zombies. :argh:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

The gameplay itself is pretty goofy, but the main storyline for Dead Rising 1 at least took itself pretty seriously.

Which made it all the funnier, especially when Frank was wearing a servbot mask, floral dress and army boots in a dramatic serious cutscene.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

There were a couple of inconsistent character moments (seriously, one character's rape is brushed off like nothing)

Wait, when was that?

I loved RDR, like most people said for the atmosphere, characters, etc. When I first played I did like 2-3 missions and then spent hours hunting, picking flowers, playing poker and just generally exploring the environment. I really hope we get a similar Wild-west GTA-esque game (Maybe a prequel exploring John's Days in the gan??)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is the Silent Hill HD collection really that bad? I've never played them but would like to. Are the issues totally game-ruining or just a bit annoying?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Pixeljunk shooter is pretty fun. I feel bad when I accidentally shoot a survivor or drop Lava on then though :saddowns:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

poo poo I remember a church thing too. Like you're on the roof and there's some really precarious pathways and its night and I keep falling off the roof or something.

I miss Syphon Filter. I'd get the PS1 Classic of it but I'm afraid it'd never live up to nostalgia.

I don't seem to remember it aging too well when I last played it a few years ago. I'd love a remake, so long as they keep the tasering dudes till they burst into fire.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just played the Arkham city demo. It seems like it's a very polished, well made game but I don't get all the hype and 10/10 GOTY praise.

Am I missing something with the combat? I just hammered square and occasionally triangle and won.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Shindragon posted:

And if you don't like the Batman series, then this game isn't for you.

That could be it, I've never been much of a fan of batman beyond the 60's series. (Which should be a bonus unlockable mode in Arkham state or whatever the inevitable sequel is called)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Up until today I had no idea there was a Ratchet and Clank HD collection coming out. Having seen the screenshots, I want it, despite already owning all three games in the pack on PS2. Granted, I already owned all the games in the MGS collection but at least that has the draw of being able to see what you're doing in Snake Eater.

I'm not the only one who buys these HD packs of games they already have, am I?

The only HD collection I bought for games I had already played was the metal gear ones, and I hadn't played Peace walker or the Substance stuff in MGS2 so even then there was a lot of new content for me.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hell, Ratchet and Clank even had trophies before there were trophies. Skill points were awesome.

They even unlocked sweet stuff like big head mode and silly skins (at least they did in the PS3 games, I dunno about the PS2 series?)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, the PS2 games did the same thing. One of them unlocked this sweet "Insomniac Museum" if you got them all where they showed you stuff that got cut from the game or early concepts of stuff. And it was an interactive level, not just screencaps or something.

A crack in time has that too. It even lets you play a hoverboot racing section and type of puzzle that got cut out. I really like that idea, showing all the stuff that doesn't make it into the game proper.

Edit: Whens the HD collection due anyway?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's a thing.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/724828/oddworld-abes-odyssee-set-for-a-fresh-hd-remake/

I wasn't expecting a "from the ground up" remake, but more of an :effort: port with higher-rez visuals. This is fantastic news.

Looking forward to this, I loved the original and the Strangers wrath re-release is excellent.

I didn't know there was a HD Munchs oddessy on the way either, how was the original?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Harlock posted:

That's the part that surprises me the most. Unless they somehow figured out a way to reverse age him. Or it's a midquel.

The 2 places I see the game taking place are between 2 and 4 or a remake of the MSX games.

I'd quite like the remake idea, if only for some more Solid Snake/Big Boss interactions.

But seriously Kojima, where's my Boss/Cobra unit Co-op game set in World war II? I know you want to make it!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
A new Last of us cutscene.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/13/the-last-of-us-bills-safe-house-cinematic/

Looks amazing, I can't wait for this game.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope they keep making Littlebigplanet x games. Maybe on PS4 they can do LBP FPS or RPG.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dvlos posted:

I've been thinking about picking up Resistance 3, I really enjoyed 2, and even played it online a few times, but I'm wondering is it worth getting it with the MOVE peripheral (I don't have a MOVE at all, just the old PS3 eye) or should I just get the game and play through it regular R2 style? How did it compare with Resistance 2? Was it a major improvement like R2 was to R1? Does it have a lot of replay value?

Hearing so many say Uncharted 3 isn't as good as 2 is disappointing, I absolutely loved Uncharted 2, I daresay it is the ultimate adventure-action game of all time. It's disheartening to hear 3 was perhaps a step backward.

I don't know about the Move for R3, but the game itself was my favourite of the series. It's pretty different to R2 (No regenerating health at all, no limit on guns carried) and plays more like half life 2. As for reply value, there are intel files to find and some cheats for things like giving enemies better weapons and such.

And don't worry about Uncharted 3, just because it's not as good as Uncharted 2. It's still a fantastic, brilliant game. Just not the revolution that U1 -> U2 was.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dvlos posted:

I'll probably just get the game, IIRC Resistance 1 didnt have regen health either. The demo looked cool, seems like there's a lot more going on in each level than in R2 (which was fantastic I just hated that they killed off Hale)

R1 had regenerating health in segments, like if you had 80% health you'd regen to 100% but if you had 70% health you'd only regen to 75%. R3 has none at all, it's health packs all the way. (apart from a cheat mode you can unlock with R1 style health)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dadjacket posted:

Multiplayer R2 still completely trumps it though.

I loved the co-op in 2 and which it was kept and expanded for 3. :(

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Looks nice. I loved the first 2 oddworld games. I hope this kickstarts the oddworld series again, they created an awesome world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Portal 2 didn't give me that feeling because of the stupid rooms where you would just have to find the one, hidden slab of white, which was nowhere to be found. If Portal 2 has one major flaw, it's that.

Also, eightysixed, know that Portal 2 plays a bit differently. It's a longer game solely because the story keeps getting in the way of the puzzles. I love seeing Wheatley, but he tends to suck you out of the puzzle part of the game and make you run down corridors looking for the next puzzle too much. I think it's stupid.

The co-op mode is amazing, and has very little story between the puzzles.

If you can, find someone who hasn't played them before, its much more fun when you're both figuring it out. Its splitscreen too in case that helps.

• Locked thread