Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I just started Nier, anything I should keep in mind for a first time player?

I see you can buy things for a garden? and there's maps of areas? and I heard you can fish?

Also this game is really fugly at times and in serious need of AA, but perhaps coming off of Killzone 3 isn't the best comparison because that game was gorgeous.

The red X on your minimap is your objective marker. Keep an eye on it, especially when doing a certain quest involving fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Megasabin posted:

#4. Book of the Guilty / Player Bounty Hunting- In the game there is a system called Covenants. They're essentially factions, and promises you make to those factions. They help you roleplay your character a bit more and give you rewards. They also have some significance with player interaction online. When a player breaks their covenant, their name comes up in "The Book of the Guilty". The book of the guilty item is given by "Blade of the Darkmoon" covenant. When you join this covenant your job for them is to find and hunt other players who have broken their promises.

Totally doing this one. Every piece of info I hear about this game just makes it sound better and better.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I'm downloading it now because I hate money apparently. It's looking like a loooong dl time though, so i won't be able to check it until tomorrow (midnight EST here). What's the quickest way to look for slow down? I've never played Odin Sphere before but always wanted to.

There should be (but hopefully not) slowdown when you're fighting large groups of enemies, which is pretty often. You'll know it if you see it.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

X_ThePerfect posted:

So I'm trying to clear my backlog of games in preparation for Saints Row 3 consuming my life, would I go to hell if I just rush through Nier once? Or am I going to miss out on loads by not getting the other endings?

Like everyone always says, you haven't really finished Nier until you've seen the second ending. On the second playthrough, the game starts you from about halfway through the game and a bunch of cutscenes are added or changed. You can get through this pretty quickly. After that you can Youtube the third and fourth endings if you don't feel up to doing them (no new content is added outside the actual endings and there are some other requirements that are a bit of a pain).

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

I just tried out the demo for Rayman Origins. What a pretty game, and it's 1080p native resolution.

I'm tempted to say that this has the best 2D art and graphics for all current consoles, but I haven't played every game out there.

Has anyone else here tried the demo?

I played it last night and loved it. Fast-paced, tight controls, decent difficulty, loads of secrets to find, great music, and of course it's just so pretty. Really looking forward to this one.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The local roller rink had the Simpsons arcade game when I was a kid. Whenever me and my friends went we'd skate for maybe 10 minutes then play the Simpsons for an hour.

Good times :allears:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

Sorry, I'm having fun with it. Ask Sam Bishop ;).

And I didn't know Xenoblade existed until I read it here a few days ago. Isn't it import only?

It was released in EU so you can play it in English, but you need a softmodded Wii to run it on a NA Wii (though modding a Wii is super easy nowadays). The Wii-exclusive/import/modding barriers are a drat shame because it's seriously the best JRPG this console generation.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

As far as I know, RoF is one of those games where you can't really steamroll stuff short of grinding levels and honestly the game gets a little sloggy towards the end. You can give characters weapon types they're low levels in to gain levels faster, but that's about it. You've only got 2 chapters to go though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

Might be the reporter from Heavy Rain but why stick her in a fighting game?!

So we can ogle her while she's assaulted by ninjas and serial murderers, of course. Does Sony have any ninja characters?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The thing about VC is it attempts to combine goofy anime sensibilities with a semi-realistic pseudo-WWII setting and serious war drama and the result is just hilariously dumb. This coming from someone who plays a lot of goofy anime games.

But yeah, gameplay-wise it's a blast and ya'll should check it out.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

The real question i want an answer to is: is it a buggy piece of poo poo that often ruins the fun, like SR2 was?

I've put Skyrim to one side for now because I don't have enough time to properly enjoy it, and am playing Atelier Rorona, which is an incredibly chill game. Totori just came out recently in the UK, was wondering who here has played it and could possibly tell me what changes have been made, for better or worse?

The game is even more chill than Rorona. Instead of deadlines every 3 months, you have one deadline at the end of 3 years, and unless you slack off big time, it's really easy to make. You can now turn in requests if the items are in your basket or container, the game won't make requests for items you haven't seen before or can't make yet, and a there's a bunch of other little improvements. It's a much better game IMO. I couldn't finish Rorona, but I'm on my second playthrough of Totori.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I actually really enjoyed the combat in XIII, though that may be because I mostly ignored the autobattle thing. It's just a shame the game built around it was kind of awful.

If XIII-2 is a little less painfully linear, I can see it being fun in spite of the embarrassingly dumb character designs.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Finished the XIII-2 demo and it was ok I guess? Which is pretty much what my opinion on XIII was. I still enjoyed the core gameplay and it seems like it's a lot more open-ended this time (there were a few sidequests I didn't bother to do). A lot of the additions like dialog options feel unnecessary (the game seemingly gives you the choice of fighting a giant monster head on or trying to use some device to weaken it first, but it's not really a choice at all since fighting it head on kills you instantly). The QTEs in particular feel really dumb and out of place. The plot was a whole lot of nonsense about time paradoxes and crap like that, I kinda tuned it out.

Also halfway through the demo the game froze up for a second and my PS3 made this horrible screeching noise, is it dying or something? :ohdear:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Record the screech, play it backwards and slow it down and I bet it said "Stop this nonsense, go and buy Saints Row 3, I command it"

Your PS3 is wise, you just have to know how to listen

Well while we're on the subject, what are the missions in Saint's Row like? I've never really been able to get into GTA or any of the GTA-likes. What happens is I'll have fun dicking around the city maybe 20 minutes, then when it comes time to do some missions they're just really bland and uninteresting "drive here, shoot this" types of things and I put the game down and never really pick it back up. Is SR any better in this regard?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Artix74 posted:

So if you're one of those people who actually enjoyed FF13, is the 13-2 demo more of the same, or have they managed to gently caress it up?

Unless you really really hate quicktime events, there's nothing horribly wrong with it. It looks like more of the same with less linearity.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Oh God, why are you playing Final Fantasy 13-2? :gonk:

The best summary that made me stay right the hell away from FF13-2 is this: Fixes some minor problems but the major problems got worse.

Judging from the demo I'd say it's the opposite. They fixed a few of the major problems (game is no longer a hallway, character progression and customization actually look meaningful), and added a few new minor ones (lovely pointless QTEs).

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yep I guess I'm insane or something since I really liked the combat in 13. The autobattle thing really didn't bother me and the strategy of managing paradigms was a lot of fun when I got into the swing of things.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I mean no offense by this, but. I feel like the contingent of people that get and love the FF games at this point are massive JRPG fans a/o FF fans, that really aren't there for the combat in the first place. Modern JRPGs amount to setting the controller down and watching story cutscenes anyways, so, streamlining the combat would make sense as a means of furthering that gameplay sensibility. They're less about strong moment to moment gameplay, and more about telling the epic visual story of a frumpy-haired protagonist's ride to godhood.

I must be crazy then since I play modern JRPGs for the combat. The turn-based/ATB style of the older FFs is great fun but I really like the complicated, out-there stuff they've been coming up with for games like Resonance of Fate, Ar Tonelico 2, etc. "Complicated" isn't really the right word for 13's combat but it was unique enough to keep me relatively entertained throughout the godawful story.

(I don't care what kind of reviews Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 is getting though, that's where I draw the line)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah the problem is Final Fantasy is the really the only modern JRPG you could call "mainstream". There's a lot more to the genre than dumb anime cutscenes and simplistic combat but it's understandable why people would see it that way, since the genre is slowly migrating to handhelds and big-name, big-budget titles are becoming less and less common.

(Seriously dudes go play any SMT, you pretty much can't go wrong with em)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Ive checked it and negative, it looks like you need the physical disc for Street Fighter 4 to upgrade to Super Street Fighter ( a paid upgrade), which then patches free to Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012. Phew! I must have gotten confused with the steam version. I definitely agree with you Krad, I don't know why Capcom just doesn't throw it on the PSN store.

Alteratively I believe you can also buy Super Street Fighter 4 or Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition as physical discs, but the 2012 upgrade patch is free. Sorry for any confusion! I'll edit my post :)

Actually Arcade Edition is the paid upgrade to Super Street Fighter 4, and Arcade Edition 2012 is a free update to Arcade Edition. The last thing you want to do is buy vanilla SF4, which can't be upgraded at all. Anyways if you don't actually own any version I believe the cheapest option is to just buy the AE disc version.

To clarify:

Street Fighter 4 (old version, can't be upgraded, don't buy)
Super Street Fighter 4 (can be upgraded to AE for $15 and then to AE 2012 for free)
Super Street Fighter 4 AE (can be upgraded to AE 2012 for free)

Troffen fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Wait, how has this not made it into the thread already?

Capcom announced the exclusives for Street Fighter X Tekken if you pick up the PlayStation 3/Vita versions: Mega Man in all his pudgy glory from the NES cover, Cole and the cat mascots you probably already knew about, and Pac-Man driving a Mokujin-style robot.

No, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YOOmU1Jko&hd=1

Yep Capcom is straight-up spiting Mega Man fans and/or Inafune, I dunno whether to shake my head or applaud them. All the same, that's loving awesome and I'm actually interested in this game now. Sucks for 360 owners though!

e: related link: http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/23/xbo...s-now-has-none/

Capcom was planning on exclusives for the 360 but it didn't work out for some reason, so no beating up Ryu with Master Chief. Unless you're particularly attached to XBL, it seems like there won't be much reason to get the 360 version.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 27, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm really late to playing Resonance of Fate, but I finally got the game last night. It's really hard and the combat is pretty complicated. :X

RoF is kind of like the anti-FF 13. Rather than 30 hours of hand-holding and slowly trickling in new mechanics, the game throws everything at you from the start and leaves it up to the player to figure out how it all fits together. It's crazy fun when you start "getting" it, but you do need some patience for the first few hours.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does this redeem XIII-2 at all? I honestly can't even tell any more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

So where in the game does this song come up? It could be amazing or awful, depending on the context.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Honey Badger posted:

As a new PS3 owner, what is the deal with PS2 classics? I bought an assload of old PS1 games that I grew up with, and got excited to see what PS2 stuff they had. There were like 10 games and I had never heard of the majority of them. Is it just too much work to put them on the network? Are all PS2 games back compatible or something, or does Sony just not give a poo poo about adding PS2 games? I mean looking at the new releases and seeing a Spongebob game as the only new PS2 content seems like an insult, if anything.

PS2 classics just started a few months ago, just give them some time to shore up the numbers. I think SamBishop said they've got a huge number of PS2 classics lined up.

Take it as an opportunity to try some games you haven't played before (God Hand and Odin Sphere are cool games)

Troffen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 8, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I think it's less "realism isn't fun" and more that realism often just doesn't work from a gameplay perspective. Realistic guns make sense in survival-oriented games like I assume The Last of Us is, but I can't imagine something like a multiplayer deathmatch-type shooter where any stray bullet kills you immediately being all that entertaining.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I just finished The Darkness II and if you're the kind of person who hates sequel/DLC hooks I would definitely recommend you stay away. As a whole the game isn't really that difficult although I did find it way too easy to get overwhelmed by the enemies who carry around portable lights. The screen gets so blown out that it can be hard to actually shoot out the light.

The lights in general are my main complaint with the game. It's nice that the developers try and mix it up with things like portable lights and generators, but taking out lights still feels like a bit of a chore. Other than that it's pretty fun though. The gameplay is a big step up from the original, though so far it seems to lack the emotional oomph the first game had and is more schlock-y comic book type stuff.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Hartseeker posted:

Since I'm planning to get Disgaea 4 sometime soon, I was thinking about picking up one of the PS3 Atelier games alongside it. I haven't played any of the previous ones, but the series seems like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. I really like life sim-type stuff like Persona and Harvest Moon, and these game seem pretty similar.

Since there have been a few already released over here, should I just pick one of them up, or should I just wait for the new one coming out? This probably won't be for a few months, so I have no idea if I'll be able to find one for cheap or not.

Also, since it's a Gust series, is there anything obnoxiously nerd-pandering in these games? Given the kind of poo poo I saw in Feinne's LP of Ar Tonelico 3 (Teenage stripper nanomachine android song mages?! :catstare:), I'd like to know ahead of time if the Atelier series has anything quite as bad in it, and whether or not it would detract from the overall gameplay.

I have no idea on how hard the games are to come by nowadays but Atelier Totori is a great game if you're interested in them (Rorona isn't bad but Totori made a bunch of improvements to the formula that makes Rorona hard to go back to). But yeah Atelier Meruru comes out in May if you just feel like waiting for that. The games are very anime and occasionally pander-y, but they never reach AT3's levels of weirdness.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

sentrygun posted:

I guess while it's up, what kind of games are the Atelier games anyways? I've never really gotten a clear cut description, most I can glean is that they're RPGs with some kind of simulation element.

You run an alchemy workshop where you take requests for items to craft, and go exploring to fight monsters and get more materials to craft more stuff. The combat is really simple but the crafting system is really the main focus of the game and is crazy deep. Time gradually passes as you do stuff and the plot advances on specific dates. Rorona gets really stressful with the constant request deadlines (main reason I didn't enjoy it so much), but Totori is much more laid-back and is a nice game to just chill out with.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I was with one other guy from the beginning of the game until we got separated somehow right before the last area. The whole final area is really amazing, but I felt just a tinge of loneliness when I reached the top of the mountain alone. :smith:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Dark Souls is getting ready to be announced for the PC, can anybody speculate on how the game would control with mouse/keyboard? Will the online features of the game be better/worse on the PC? Is there a potential for mods, or would they really be necessary?

I've held off getting this game for the PS3 because it hasn't met my price point yet for the experience that the game provides. I've read most of the threads and discussion about the game, but just haven't taken the plunge yet because I'm becoming an older cranky gamer that is starting to get set in his ways. :corsair:
I never thought I'd get like this at 30...

Dark Souls with a solid framerate would be worth the price of admission alone, and it seems like the type of game that would lend itself pretty well to mouse and keyboard. There's plenty of ways they could gently caress up a PC port but we'll have to wait and see.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm surprised to be reading negative opinions about Vanquish now. I haven't played the full version myself, just the demo, but even weeks after the game came out, it was still getting pretty positive opinions on this forum. I'm wondering why the change? I never read the megathread.

I don't think there's been any sort of Mass Effect-style turning on the game, it just seems like most people either liked it or disliked it, but the people who disliked it just didn't care enough to talk about it much.

I only played through it once but I thought it was pretty cool. It didn't really feel like a shooter to me, it felt more like an action game where your dude just happens to have a gun.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cab posted:

Does anyone have Payday the heist? If so, how is it?

It's a decent L4D-style co-op shooter, and worth a look if you've got some friends to play it with. It's a little rough around the edges but it makes up for it with a nice variety of mission objectives and some interesting mechanics like the hostage-trade respawn system. Me and my friends only played it for a couple weeks (there's only 6 or so heists) but we definitely had a good time with it.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Harlock posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a path to the right that takes you under the bridge?

Edit: Whoops, you said Demon Souls, not Dark souls.

Actually there's a path to the right that takes you under the bridge in Demon's Souls too! Funny, that.

But yeah you can do some other stages first if 1-2 feels like too much. 2-1 is a good place to go next.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Meruru? I played Rorona and had fun with it, but I skipped Totori. Would I be fine picking up Meruru without playing the second one?

You won't know who a few of the characters are but plotwise the games pretty standalone. Not that the plots are all that interesting anyway. I haven't played it myself yet but Totori was leagues better than Rorona in terms of general gameplay, and this one looks to be more of the same for the most part.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

revolther posted:

We've already hit the point where games are simplified in order to placate crappy gamers, let's not worry about graphically accurate inventory management placating sperglords until PS5, current gaming can't handle any more pedantic faggotry.

Yep that's a totally reasonable reaction to someone making an off-the-cuff remark about a silly gaming cliche, you sure showed those dumb spergs :thumbsup:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Apparently Best Buy has The Darkness II on sale for $12 today only. How did that end up being? I remember digging the first one as a rental, and I need something shooty to break up marathons of Dragon's Dogma.

It's a solid shooter, lots of fun darkness powers to mess around with and plenty of human hearts to devour. The plot is nowhere near as interesting or emotional as the first game, but for $12 it's a great buy if you just want to shoot some dudes up.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

For most people, gaming is a hobby, and they don't want to waste time on such a fruitless effort when there are tons of games that offer better experiences. Stop playing VF5, people, and start playing Infamous 2, Just Cause 2, or Saints Row 2. If you really want to get involved in something, then learn the intricacies of LBP 2's level creator.

Why is learning LBP's level creator a more meaningful endeavor than learning a fighting game?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

If you put the kind of aforementioned dedication into LBP's level creator, then you can create something for you and hundreds/thousands of others to enjoy. That makes it a more meaningful endeavor than some self-centered journey to the land of counters and combos.

I'm just saying, different strokes. I know I'm in the minority here but I genuinely enjoy the process of learning a new fighting game and find it really fun and rewarding to put that knowledge to use in a match. It's just video games. It's silly to get all high and mighty about your preferred method of time-wasting.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

I'm not getting high and mighty - I'll never bother to learn how to use the creation tools in LBP - I'm just being logical. As I said in my previous post, spending your time creating something for others is more valuable than being self-centered.

So playing fighting games is selfish because I could be making LBP levels instead. Think about that for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

I would not and did not say selfish, but I stand by my opinion that creating something is a more valuable experience than consuming something.

You don't think that isn't the very definition of high and mighty, telling people their choice of video games is somehow less meaningful than another? It's video games.

• Locked thread