Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Could be worse. Could be like Beyond Good & Evil. You can invert the Y-axis, sure - but it also inverts the X-axis. There is nothing you can do to stop this. Either everything is inverted or nothing is. Somehow, that just feels more annoying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hah! I traded in my xbox today. It froze when they tested it, so I had the refurbishing fee deducted from the amount I got. But somehow, I still managed to get enough to pay for Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls and only have to pay five actual dollars. Though my heart stopped for a moment when I saw the online code in the Uncharted box (I got it used). But my luck held and the code actually worked. Considering I didn't think I'd have enough to buy one game this year, I'm extremely pleased with this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say Demon's Souls is the better game, personally. I've beaten it multiple times but could never get into Dark Souls the same way. It's certainly cheaper, so if you don't like it you're not wasting as much money.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

Unless the exclusive publisher sweetens the deal considerably, I don't blame anyone for going multiplatform. The more potential customers you can access, the better.

The more people who can play Ratchet & Clank the better. Unless Sony owns the series, in which case oh well I can still play it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shalinor posted:

To save you some time, I'd stay away from the "thief mage" archetype. Anyone can dodge, even those in moderately heavy armor, and most of the piercing swords and daggers are less than good. They're not unplayable or anything, but they're weaker, and you'll probably get stuck more often.

Something like medium armor, scimitar, and magic as a backup makes for a beast of a character that's a ton of fun to play. Barbarian, which has you rolling around in no armor at all, is also surprisingly powerful as you bump its primary stat (endurance?).

Spears are pretty awesome, though, and you WILL want a piercing weapon (spear recommended) for 2-1 and 2-2.

... dammit, I almost want to start that up again. I was to the end, but I never did beat maneater :(

You don't actually need to kill it if you just want to reach the end. You only need to beat stage three of one world to open up 1-3 and 1-4, and thus beat the game. The boss of 1-4 is by far the hardest boss in the game (and the series) though, if you don't just use one of the ways to cheese it. If you're just looking to beat it and see the ending, though, there you go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Some website got a hold of some Dead Rising 3 stuff and was claiming the game is about a quarantine of South California starring a mechanic who's trying to repair a plane so he can escape. That sounds kind of interesting I think.

I'd like it if the next one doesn't have a timer. I could never get into the first game because I don't like being timed like that. I'd rather have all the time in the world to goof off while the world waits for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Capcom is stupid. :ms:

Edit: You're right. They're also lazy.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 27, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the levels sound so much more interesting than the characters.

That's the problem in a nutshell. Sony's first party characters aren't that interesting for this kind of thing. I dunno, they just don't mesh the way Nintendo's do. I'm gonna buy it though, I'm sure. It's not the kind of thing you even need to hype, people will just end up buying it because.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Some of Nintendo's do. A lot of them only work because of SSB games though. We just don't remember because there's 3 now. I mean, Captain Falcon? Fox on foot?

No, I think they mesh better than this. I didn't think Snake fit SSB, and someone like Kratos certainly won't. Plus, it's easier to take this kind of thing at face value when you're younger. Stylistically a lot of these characters are a poor fit.

Ring outs were a huge part of the charm of SSB and I think this game will be worse for not including them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What are you talking about? Who cares about strategy in these games? If you're not playing them to dick your friends over and have a good time you are doing it wrong. :colbert: Tier lists for SSB baffles me almost as much as competitive Pokemon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If Super Smash Bros. is boring to you I don't see why you'd even begin to care about Super Sony Bros.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's the same kind of game. I think it fair to assume that if you don't like one you won't like the other.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

So was Power Stone essentially, and they played vastly different.

That's like distinguishing between Call of Duty and Battlefield. It only matters if you like the genre to begin with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I finally bought Journey (because I finally had money for it) and holy crap it is amazing. It's just a beautiful game. I managed to tear my scarf twice, though. :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cannot wait for the Okami HD release on PSN. After my PS2 died I was never able to finish it and I'm not buying a Wii. It'll look so pretty in high resolution. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you don't want to know whether you've spoiled the story, don't ask! Then you won't know until it's happened.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had zero issues with any of the Mass Effect games from a technical stand point (though obviously I didn't play ME1 on a Playstation). That's a pretty minor gripe, though. ME2 is far and away the best game in that series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know, the debates in HR were pretty important. I thought that convincing people to your way of thinking was a cool gameplay mechanic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it got summarized in an earlier post as "watered down Arkham Asylum combat with slightly inferior Spider-man 2(PS2) web swinging".

Your webs don't attach to anything, right? If they brought the swinging from 2 back I'd buy it in a second regardless of the rest of the package.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The combat in Two Worlds 2 makes Elder Scrolls combat look like a masterwork in comparison. I like almost everything else about the game but...when it comes down to it, action RPGs are about combat.

Also my character is dressed like a literal clown and there is no sign of better looking gear anywhere on the horizon.

If that was true, Elder Scrolls games wouldn't sell nearly as well as they have in recent years. You don't see Dragon's Dogma getting that kind of attention.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Elder Scrolls is a long running, massively advertised franchise, I think that's why it does so much better than a game like Two Worlds 2 or Dragon's Dogma.

I don't think that's true. Advertising obviously makes a difference, but the series wouldn't still be going if the combat was the selling point. Look at the change between Daggerfall and Morrowind, and the time between the two. That audience from the previous games wouldn't have made the game a massive success, and the combat was a low point for the series (and of nearly any game I have ever played, personally).

Also, Two Worlds was universally panned. Looking at those games purely from a quality point of view, the combat was never the point. People who enjoy that series have always excused the combat for the world around it, and I think that is what makes or breaks an RPG.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, I would love a new 2D Metroid/Castlevania. But I guess Guacamelee will have to suffice. And by that I mean gently caress yeah, Guacamelee.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bought Saints Row the Third Saturday of last week. I hit platinum with it last night. I didn't buy it at first because I never liked GTA and the marketing always made the humor seem to be lame but man I was wrong. I wish I'd bought it instead of Uncharted last year. :iia:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was referring to Uncharted 3, actually. It sure is an ok action movie. The game part I could do without. I can see why that series is popular, but at the same time the gameplay is weak to me and there are plot holes and contrivances (how Drake finds his way out of the desert comes to mind) that ruin the immersion for me.

I have been playing Saints Row 2 and the controls are terrible. I really like the sound track, but so far everything else just isn't doing anything for me. The writing isn't nearly as strong, and that is what made Saints Row the Third what it is. The second game just feels forced.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

axleblaze posted:

I never thought I'd see the words "Saint's Row 3" and "Strong writing" in the same sentence. Well, I guess I still haven't, but you know what I mean.

I didn't even think SR2 was well written but it was head and shoulders better than SR3, where you basically do the same thing you did in SR2 except without any attempts being made to care about the characters or setting or without any attempt to make a plot that goes beyond "go kill these guys because they made you mad". I mean I don't think SR2 succeeded in alot of what it was trying, but at least it tried.

I don't mean the plot is good. It's just an excuse to do things that are insane and awesome. I meant the character dialog. Saints Row 2 just isn't that funny. It's trying too hard. I could play The Third over and over again because everything you do is a joy to behold and everything people say is fun to listen to, but I don't even care to finish 2. Even putting aside the fact that it's older and has terrible controls I just don't think Saints Row 2 is a good game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

epitasis posted:

What a perplexing post. :psyduck:

Saints Row 3 is just Saints Row 2 with a spit-shine to hide the outdated engine and a half-assed batch of new activities. The writing is largely the same, which is to say that it makes Rockstar's heavy-handed "humor" look like Oscar Wilde. You can't even argue that it takes itself less seriously than SR2 because they turned the once-fun Shaundi character into a generic hot girl obsessed with some dead guy she had never previously showed any affection for. All they really did was amp up the sexualization quotient so that every cutscene had gratuitous "hos" and a reason for someone to yell "bitch."

Most of the much-heralded-online "wackiness" is actually hidden away in the DLC and doesn't amount to much more than... people in mascot costumes. At least SR2's wackiness reveled in juvenility - SR3 took the same ethos of the poo poo-spewing truck but decided to apply it to (a) SEX and (z) violence, so the result is a constant stream of digital genital detritus coating your television in glorious poorly-animated high definition. Talk about "trying too hard."

Except SR3 also has the unfortunate distinction of trying to make human trafficking and rape funny/wacky without the slightest bit of self-awareness or subversiveness.

This game seems to really upset you. :raise:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

Halo clone you mean?

I've played all three of those games and I don't think comparisons between any of them are fitting. I don't even understand the Gears comparison.

Quantum Conundrum has been such a disappointment so far. :sigh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

That's still a little weird. I remember most of my gamestop purchases being shrink-wrapped, though I only deal with EB Games up here in Canada these days and they don't seem to be too terrible about it.

And before anyone comments, yeah I know they're a terrible chain but sometimes convenience just wins out.

When I bought BC2 Ultimate Edition new, it had no shrink-wrap and was missing the SPECACT code from the box. It's the little things that make you want to shop at a store again, y'know?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I understand, I still buy stuff there because nothing else has as much to choose from and I have no patience for shipping. It's just really annoying when you buy a game new and the wrong game is in the case. Seriously guys, a little effort is all I ask.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had an extra dollar on my account accumulated over the years, so I bought the crocodile for Tokyo Jungle. That jump. :allears:

I love putting ridiculous clothing on things in that game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

Does anyone have any classic PS 1/2 games on PSN they recommend? I'm looking for something outside of Crash/Spyro/Final Fantasy/Persona/GTA, which I have played.

Chrono Trigger. Not the best version of the game, but it's still Chrono Trigger. I think Chrono Cross is on there as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Bioshock Infinite is mediocre as gently caress. I'm so glad I just paid the price of disc space.

I have a list of games to play through, but I don't know which one I should go with first:
-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

I have some catching up to do.

Mass Effect would be a huge time sink and only the second game is really great. First one plays like poo poo but has an interesting story and the third one flips the script by having decent gameplay but a terrible plot. Playing all of Dead Space would take a long time as well, and Gran Turismo doesn't even have a plot so why not just play it concurrently with other stuff? I'd start with either Batman or Far Cry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're both about as well written as the rest of the romance options, not sure where you're coming from here. It's a bad game in a lot of ways but this isn't one of them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dross posted:

Well. All of that "romance" stuff is pretty badly written, really. But other romanceable characters throughout the series have other motivations and plot contributions, which Cortez, Allers, and Traynor do not. I didn't retread the rest of my complaints with ME3's writing too much because they've been said better by others plenty of times.

And the two NPC female crew members and the reporter you punch in the face every game are so much better? They're all miles ahead of Miranda or Jack, which have been uniquely terrible in their own special little ways since ME2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nobody has ever said ME3 is a great game though, and Bioware romances have been the object of ridicule since forever.

And Bioshock Infinite is a great game. :colbert: People have been calling it poo poo since it was released, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keep in mind the fleet stuff can take upwards of ten hours real time. It's not exactly instant cash.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not that bad. The gameplay is the very definition of mediocre and the voice acting/plot are, uh, uneven to put it lightly but it's not bad. Gorgeous art style, nice music, and the memory reshaping stuff is interesting. I liked the idea of creating your own combos as well, even if the combat was so simple it wasn't actually necessary.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

And I will honestly never understand the people that find this combat boring. With 2.5 playthroughs under my belt, the way fights are dynamically different every time is still a source of great joy. In a standard popular shootmans game it's always just staring down slightly different ironsights and enemies fall over when you press a button. Here I was slamming faces into walls or the edges of desks, I'm throwing bottles at a guy to disorient him then sprinting over to punch him down. Wailing away on a couple of runners with a big stick, then suddenly seeing a clicker and pausing to shotgun her, then running away while scooping up a brick before barrelling into the next group of enemies smashing one down and then readying a smoke bomb to...

There's like no variation to the enemies. The human enemies are straight out of Uncharted (normal guys and late in the story you get heavies) and like three zombie types, one of which almost never shows up and is more of a mini boss than an actual enemy. There's also like three puzzle types (boost Ellie over something, find ladder, ferry Ellie across water). The gameplay is the best Naughty Dog has ever done but they have a real issue with variety. It's my favorite game of last year and maybe of the generation but the gameplay complaints are totally valid.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There is no "installing properly" you just hit the install and it happens. There's nothing special you have to do. If it's on the machine it should work.

I went back to The Last of Us to get the story fresh in my mind for the DLC. Decided to play on Survivor and get all the collectibles and I really do not recommend doing either of these things, Survivor is bad and picking up pendants is the lamest thing ever/really breaks up the flow of the game. I understand the papers and things that contribute to the story but those firefly dogtags are just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just don't look at the PC version any, because holy poo poo that is maybe the best looking game I've ever played. Most games I wouldn't say it matters much but Metro is an exception. The actual game itself works fine, it feels a lot better with a controller than 2033 did. Even if it had frame rate issues though you should play it.

• Locked thread