Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-any-final-fantasy-7-remake-might-delete-things-add-elements

Actually, it's the opposite. He'd love to go back and make 'improvements', any of which I'm sure would an incredibly whiny uproar.

Hypothetically, the remake should have enough selectable settings to appease every fan. Like the two Secret of Monkey Island remakes, you should be able to toggle between the new visuals and the old ones, as well as turn off voice acting. Cloud should have every costume imaginable, from his Kingdom Hearts Vincent Valentine knockoff to his original blocky cardboad box self. The original translation should be available, and two voice tracks depending on whether you prefer Aeris or Aerith.

Instead, we will just get tie-ins to all the spin-offs, all of Cloud's dialogue re-written to match his current personality and Gackt shoehorned into every cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I spend so much time waiting for games to come out that I never get around to playing the games that do come out.

I need a new hobby, like knitting. At least then I won't be waiting six years for a specific type of yarn to arrive.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Everyone should note that VC is basically Sakura Wars but with about half the anime removed, and the combat made actually challenging.

Does this game literally turn you Japanese? With any luck, Metal Wolf Chaos should be enough to turn you back.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

gently caress that lovely game.

I'm interested to know why you think that.

I'm planning on making a Let's Play of Vanquish, on hard difficulty. It's known as a difficult game, but my last few playthroughs only had about three deaths in them, all of them caused by my own carelessness. I like to think of it as a modern Contra, as it's an incredibly polished, tight and concise game, with little padding or repetition.

It's a game for gamers. People who love games, and understand the joy of mastery. Hopefully people will appreciate it when they see a master play it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Also, my problem with Vanquish is that I didn't know what I was doing, and had a hard time getting the hang of things. I quit after I beat the first level.

I'd recommend trying the demo. Just use it as a consequence-free playground to explore all the mechanics and weapons, like the seperate melee moves for each gun you're holding, or the different ways to activate AR mode (bullet time).

Try techniques like using your boost kick (melee whilst boosting) onto a piece of cover, ricocheting up and activating AR in mid-air, an using that time to pull off some headshots.

Normal grenades take a few seconds to detonate when they hit the ground, but you can shoot them in mid-air to get them to detonate right in the middle of a huge group of enemies.

I don't care about the overall score, I only look at the number of deaths (there's a trick to prevent the game recording your deaths), percentage of time spent in cover (the lower the better) and the time bonus, which I always aim to have +5000.

In Vanquish, you're not just fast enough to dodge bullets. You're fast enough that you won't have to.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Scyron posted:

The new Ni No Kuni trailer looks so good. Considering I HATE LOATHE jRPGs this has me really really excited.

Both the PS3 and DS versions sold terribly in Japan. I have no idea why, I thought they would be all over it. It's odd that the portable version came with a large spell book and the home console version didn't, but unless Level-5 really did drop the ball with them, I'm still looking forward to playing it.

I really liked Noby Noby Boy, and a friend of mine absolutely adored it, but I can tell that it's not a game for everyone. You don't unlock new planets yourself, you're working co-operatively with the entire world, so it's a collaborative effort. It's also the only game I've gotten all the trophies for, as the icons line up to make a picture :3: It's also really cheap, and might possibly be in the Christmas sale, so there's no reason not to pick it up.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shame it's not on the EU PSN store.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Housh posted:

Worth playing Yakuza 3 & 4? I heard Yakuza 3 had a gimped US release. YAY!! CHEAP GAMES!!

Yakuza 3 did have some cut content, but I wouldn't say that it's gimped.

I believe that the missing content inlcuded a quiz game that relied on an in-depth knowledge of Japanese history, a side quest where Kazuma learns some English, several minigames such as Majong and the whole hostess sidegame.

I don't remember Yakuza 4 having any content removed, so some of these will be present in that game.

If you get Yakuza 3, note that it has a very slow-paced beginning set in Kazuma's orphanage. Make sure you stick with it until you get to Tokyo, where the game really takes off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bleep posted:

The best part of new trailers is that you get lots of new comments! Metal Gear Rising is off to a great start.

That's it, I'm leaving. I'm going to live in a hut on a desolate mountainside so I never have to talk to a human being ever again, just in case I meet one of these people.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harlock posted:

Looks pretty nice. Does the Vita do TV Out?

Unfortunately not. Sony doesn't want it competing against the PS3. I have no idea what they mean by that. I'm sure there'll be a TV out on the next revision of the Vita.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

This still bugs me. SR2 had this great replay-anything structure, which was a hoot, and now they... just took it out entirely? So weird.

It has been modded into the PC version, but its absence in the normal game is baffling. I just want to watch the cutscenes again with my new boss, I shouldn't have to play through the whole game again!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bayonetta was delayed from it's Japanese release by about six months, but they didn't use that time to improve the atrocious PS3 port. Didn't Sony need to step in to get Sega to actually make a patch?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Depends whether you're in the mood for endless horizons and majestic battles or sending a man through the stratosphere with a celestial baseball bat.

There is no wrong answer to your question.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SamBishop posted:

That said, the port wasn't done by the usual guys (Bluepoint) that did MGS and God of War and so on, it was done by a company called Mass Media who are apparently a bunch of coding superfreaks and they were actually able to build a PS2 emulator that processed all the calls from the entirely proprietary GOAL programming language that Andy Gavin created at Naughty Dog. I guess as part of the efficiency (and sheer technical prowess that made Andy "Andy"), there were often multiple calls at the same time. One might be something for the particle system, but every once in a while there was a second, lower-priority call that might influence animation or the LOD systems or whatever. It was INSANELY complex, and Mass Media did a pretty solid job of breaking it down.

Do you have a source? I'd like to know if this is related to the new PS2 classics series, which are emulated entirely in software.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, it was replaced with Otomedius. As all shmups are gradually being replaced with moe shmups.

For those who don't know how horrendous this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEiccW5l4Q

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Having a region-free console really is better for both the customers and the publishers, especially when games like the Yakuza series and Demon's Souls can be successful just from the word of mouth.

It's a shame that the Wii kept region-coding, or else more people would have been able to try games like Fatal Frame IV and Xenoblade Chronicles without having to mod their consoles.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Not just DNF, but a constant stream of games that took years and years to develop, finally release, and they were just total poo poo and not at all worth the long wait. Been getting way to many of these games lately.

Counterpoint: Mother 3

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Okay, but none of that is even relevant to the Last Guardian. There's been no hands on previews with the game have there? We've only ever seen scripted sequences done as a trailer, and that was years ago. Now the project has been completely quiet, with the exception of bits and pieces of bad news over the last two years.

The French magazine PSM3 had a hands-on preview a year ago.

http://www.gamersmint.com/the-last-guardian-info-blowout-from-latest-psm3-issue

Shuhei Yoshida posted:

[Fumito Ueda] never left the team, he’s on top of the game and the team is making progress. But the progress is slow and sometimes the team has to go back and review things. There’s a vision that we want to realize but it’s very very tough and technical issue that the team is tackling and some plans have to be made to evaluate and go through the process. At one point the progress was great, so we talked about the timing of the launch in the past. But now it’s making progress, but still not to the level — it’s playable, but not to the point that we can talk about the timing of launch.

It seems that progress has been halted by an unknown technical issue, but it could also be due to Ueda leaving the company and working freelance. I can't imagine Sony cancelling the game, because after six years in development, making some money back from that investment is preferable to none.

Also, I think Sony understands that while Team ICO's games will never be blockbusters selling millions of copies in the first week, they do generate interest in the Playstation brand and offer something Microsoft can't compete with.

By the way, whatever happened to the Shadow of the Colossus film? I wonder which will come out first...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AutoL posted:

I had a love/hate relationship with mine. It looks incredible but the ridiculous glare and back light bleeding on two different units made me return it and get something cheaper with more options. I'll get another one when it's $200 as the 3D really is awesome.

Is it the only device that supports simultaneous split-screen right now?

I've noticed that some games have been patched to support it, including Gran Turismo 5, but I'd really like it for Uncharted 3, because of how difficult it is to see during co-op.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

If Sony were to solely cater to the shooting people in the loving face crowd then gaming would become truly dead and beautiful games like Journey would never even be made.

The reason I started getting Playstation consoles was because they offered unique games, like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry, Demon's Souls and Yakuza.

They do seem to give their developers a lot of freedom, which is great for teams like Media Molecule and ThatGameCompany, although it does give us games with endless development cycles like Gran Turismo 5 and The Last Guardian.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So is anyone else besides myself geeked that Deadly Premonitions is getting a PS3 release? I could give a gently caress less about move support, because I just want to play DP in general. Isn't that right, Zach?

Dammit, I bought an old 360 just for this and Bayonetta. I suppose it can stay as just the BayonettaBox then.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Anyone know of a PS3 emulator that'll run on a Core2Duo Dell workstation? :v:

No, but I know a SNES emulator that won't.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/15/the-ratchet-clank-collection-going-1080p-on-ps3-multiplayer-included/

Now this is a HD collection I've been wating for! Awesome!

1080p. 60fps. Holy Moley.

I'm amazed that they're keeping the online multi-player in Up Your Arsenal. I kinda wish that the MGS HD collection had done so for Subsistence.

Does anyone know why Deadlocked isn't included? I heard that it isn't that great, but that didn't stop Capcom including Devil May Cry 2 in their HD collection.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Why can't all HD collections be in 1080p? :(

Depends how hard the original game pushed the hardware.

In the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus collection, ICO runs at 1080p beautifully, without a single dropped frame throughout the entire game, with similar performance in 3D.

Shadow of the Colossus on the other hand tends to stutter slightly in 1080p mode and completely reverts back to the original PS2 frame rate in 3D. In addition, its 1080p mode is not the full 1920x1080, it's actually 960x1080, which is only 1.125 times the resolution of 720p. It's slightly better to play in 720p mode due to the smoother frame rate and square pixels.

PSP games like God of War and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker can easily do 1080p, although the former required much higher quality textures, character models and lighting to look good at 16 times the original resolution, as well as re-rendered FMVs.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Playstation 4 Rumour

Normally I would ignore rumours, however ones about Sony often turn out to be somewhat accurate.

I'll address each point in the article, and examine its credibility.

1. Codename: Orbis - Like most codenames, this isn't very likely to be the actual console's name. It is linked to the name Vita, but who really gives a poo poo.

2. Backwards Compatibility - PS3 BC has been dropped. The only way I could see this working is if they'd used an updated version of the Cell, which was compatible with the PS3's. A while back there was a patent for PS2 BC that used a small board with the PS2 hardware on it, which connected to the PS3, but there isn't a connection fast enough to communicate with it. Might be a possibility for the PS4.

3. Specifications - Runs games at 4096 x 2160, and 1080p in 3D. On the PS3, 3D requires four times the processing power of the GPU, due to there being two frame buffers and twice as much geometry to render. A game like WipEout HD normally runs in 1080p at 60 fps, but can also run in 3D at 720p at 30 fps, using the exact same geometry. Games like Uncharted 3 that normally run at 720p, 30 fps will reduce the resolution to half that, and use lower level-of-detail geometry and models instead. I think it is entirely possible for the PS4 to run games with the same detail and frame rate in both 2D and 3D if the 2D resolution is four times higher than the 3D resolution.

4. Digital Distribution - Simultaneous Blu-ray and download release dates aren't frequent on the PS3, but is standard on the Vita. While it is unlikely that games on dual-layer Blu-ray discs will be downloadable, this is likely to be made standard for the next generation of consoles. Sony has tried to link physical copies with digital copies of PSP games on the Japanese Vita, although not with actual Vita games yet. The PS4 would be designed with this in mind from the start for it to work.

5. Used Games - There are many attempts by publishers to reduce the appeal of used games, however there is nothing in the consoles themselves to restrict a game from being used in another console. Being tied to a specific account looks like an adequate way to tie the game with the user, although there ought to be ways to increase the number of accounts that can access a particular disc.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

I think in retrospect that what happened to the PS3 ended up being not so bad. The launch version came out with BC and then after some iterations BC was dropped for lower cost.

When the PS3 launched, there were two separate models, the standard and the premium versions. I don't know whether most people would prefer the premium model to have more features, or simply a larger hard disk drive, which can be upgraded later.

Backwards compatibility should be a feature in the premium model, because it isn't necessary for regular games and its removal could lower the price of the standard model.

If the PS4 did play PS3 games, there are several enhancements that it could provide, such as upscaling, post-processing anti-aliasing, faster loading and possibly cross-game voice chat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I can kind of seeing that happening even. Developers could re-release some of their PS3/360 games on the new consoles, with actual 1080p, high frame rates, and AA.

This is a really good idea. I'd love to see some games like the Uncharted series, Dark Souls and Platinum's games on more powerful hardware.

For example, this is what Uncharted 3 would look like at 60 fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-if-uncharted-3-ran-at-60-fps

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder how the early PS+ release date had an effect? Would it have been faster selling if everyone could have bought it on the same day?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Scyron posted:

If I wasn't trying to grind out lovely sly1 platinum, and silent hill:DP I would so replay VANQUISH :qq:

I must have played Vanquish at least five times. My best moment was beating challenge 5 on my first try.

I wonder why it doesn't click with so many people? I'd already played the demo many times before I started the game, so I don't know how a new player would cope with it. I suppose if you play it like any other 3rd person shooter, hiding in cover and not utilising your suit powers, then it wouldn't be that great.

It's much better when you tackle it like Serious Sam, where you need to be aware of the most significant threats, and what they are currently doing. Each attack has a unique sound effect, so you can tell whether a Romanov is going to fire a laser even when he's off-screen.

I'm not sure why people think it's boring or repetitive, there are at least 20 different types of enemies, unlike Killzone or Uncharted where you just fight waves of identical people. You also get more interesting weapons, like the beam gun that passes straight through cover, or the disc gun that can saw off limbs.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cracker King posted:

I don't typically replay games. I always want to but I'd rather play something new and shiny.

Vanquish was the first game that as soon as I beat it I immediately started a new campaign on a harder difficulty.

The only thing I'd like is a difficulty between Hard and God Hard. I can beat Hard with only three deaths, but God Hard is just like scaling a vertical wall, with a massive overhang.

Like with God Hand and Dark Souls, I always know why I died. It's never due to unresponsive controls, cheap attacks or dodgy platforming, just when I'm careless.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

FFXIV uses the Final Fantasy XIII engine, which isn't designed at all for an MMO, with lots going on, and it really shows. The game in its current state can't be ran on PS3 hardware, it's not possible. It has a hard enough time running on the most high end PCs.

Regarding Final Fantasy XIII's engine, I think there's a reason why it took so long to get out the door.

When the PS2 first came out, developers released short games using their new engine, and used that experience for their higher-profile games. Square released The Bouncer before Final Fantasy X, Konami released Zone of the Enders before Metal Gear Solid 2 and Polyphony Digital released Gran Turismo 3, with fewer cars than 2.

This generation, Japanese developers have been working on the high-profile games before finishing their engines, which has dragged out their development time. This is why Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy X and Gran Turismo 5 have taken so long to come out after the PS3's launch. Capcom did it right by releasing Dead Rising, and now they have a fantastic engine, the MT Framework, instead of a mess like the Crystal Tools.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Also, what is it specifically about Devil May Cry 2 that makes it such an abomination compared to the other games, people go on about how it's terrible and that noone mentions it ever but I don't think anyone's ever said specifically what makes it bad bar the comment a poster made earlier about enemy behaviour patterns being rather asinine

AccountingNightmare made an excellent retrospective of her experience Let's Playing it on Dante Must Die mode.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/blip/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblip.tv%2Faccountingnightmare%2Flet-s-play-devil-may-cry-2-retrospective-5425572

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is Yakuza: Dead Souls canonical? Not that it will affect how enjoyable it is.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to see a director's cut of Uncharted 3, with the ending as it was originally written. Not that we know any of the details, but Cutter's absence, Talbot's magic and Drake's origins were signs of major corner-cutting during the last few chapters.

I'd also like to revisit Uncharted 1 with some of the mechanics, models and improvements from the later games, although this would probably be something we'd only see if it got a remake on the PS4.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Retribution for their amazing PSOne library.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Well, Dead Souls sure is awesome.

Did I begin playing this game expecting to see Daigo in drag? No, I did not. But that's what I'm looking at right now and it is loving hilarious. And did I expect Majima to ever call Daigo "sugar tits"? Nope!

Majima is perfect in this game. He is the best crazy rear end in a top hat ever :D

The first Yakuza game was the only one to get an English voice-over. They cast Mark Hamill as Majima.

If you can play as Japanese Joker slaughtering zombies one moment, then singing karaoke the next, I'll never need to buy another video game again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I thought the reason why Monster Hunter hasn't had a proper instalment on modern consoles is because they are still re-using their last-gen assets.

Does the PC game have higher-quality models and environments? And why, given their support of games like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV and Devil May Cry 4, have they not released it internationally?

It's like they don't want it to succeed here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

God of War: Ascension being a prequel could end up being a good thing. Since God of war 3 had to be "THE MOST EPIC GAME EVER" hopefully they will be able to think on a smaller scale with more focus on gameplay, level design and puzzles than ridiculous skyscraper sized bosses. And since they won't be backed into a corner with the story, they could make it more than just "I'm mad at Zeus, I'm gonna kill him".

Chains of Olympus had a great moment with a more sympathetic Kratos near the end, which could be expanded on with another prequel. God of War III's puzzles were fantastic, so if they can refocus the game on narrative and puzzles, it could be more rewarding than just tons of highly scripted, QTE-filled boss battles.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Im on hard mode, I just always found the fighting part after a bit easier. I much rather die repeatedly fighting then a puzzle

In the first God of War, 90% of my deaths were from platforming. The other 10% were from puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Hahahahaha have fun when you get to Phantom.

Air raid makes that fight more manageable, but it's still way too tough. You'll unlock easy mode if you die enough times in the first three missions.

• Locked thread