Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
edit: I'm dumb; it's in the box art matrix

Mustach fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

al-azad posted:

You do more damage with an enemy's own weapon.
This is still not enough damage for my liking from what I could tell in the demo.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Nah, I don't have any faith in Level 5 these days either.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

So the DVD side of Netflix is becoming "Qwickster" and Qwickster will have the option to rent videogames. I know at least Samurai Sanders has before mentioned wanting games with the speed of Netflix, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I'm hoping From Software still keeps the Demon's Souls servers online.
It's up to Atlus, isn't it? (Or do you own the Asian version)

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Why on earth are there ever unskippable cutscenes, who thought this was a good design choice
Oh, this reminds me. You know what I've wanted for a while? An option that simply auto-skips every cinematic in the game. And I mean really skips — no loading the assets at all. I hate having to mash on buttons to skip them when I'm trying to go through a game and get a good time or whatever, and it's just frustrating to go through twice the loading screens. LOADING… mash buttons to skip LOADING…

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The problem there is that while it's a nice idea in theory, delivering story stuff while playing tends to be troublesome. etc.
Yeah, I don't mind the segregation too much, honestly. In my ideal world it's better than story-during gameplay because it can be easier to ignore after you stop caring about the narrative and just want to do game stuff. Usually in-game story involves other characters talking at you while you A) move around "freely" in a limited fashion until story time is over; B) play through the stage naturally, but this means that either you can finish the stage before the dialogue finishes or the stage is somehow padded out to the length of the dialogue (i.e. it turns into A), and it also means that if you die you have to hear the first seconds of dialogue over and over again; C) find out most about the story through exploration. Now, C is generally the best for getting out of your way once you stop caring about it, but I feel like it's only effective for certain atmospheres (e.g. Demon's Souls).

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Gaseous Snake posted:

Dude you're awesome. I've never been able to catch the drat thing and now I may finally do it.
Note that later in the game it'll leave your inventory and you have to get it again once you get your clothes back. It's easier the second time, because you can see it on the ground outside.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

The room is constraining but it actually makes the fight a little easier (once the dogs are dead) than the "lesser" Capra Demons later on, because it gives you access to plunging attacks.

I wish I could experience the Souls games fresh again. They're fun to master but the first playthough is so great. Also I'm pissed the the PC version got more content.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

The new content will be released on PS3 as DLC in the fall.

But yeah, assuming the PC version is released for the same price it originally was fort PS3/360, it's annoying that the PC version has the extra content "for free."
Wow, I thought the PC one came out already. But yay, I'm not pissed anymore! Thanks for the info.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

And, has anybody tried Rainbow Moon, or whatever it's called? Any good?
Yeah, I'm interested in it, too. The graphics are cute and I'm in the mood for that genre. I'm worried it's more Disgaea than FFT, though.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Can they not get Solid Snake for this because he was in Smash Brothers?
If true, that would be the silliest, most oddly-specific exclusivity restriction.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The MGS encyclopedia reverses what they explicitly said in MGS4, he WAS possessed at first and now he's not.
The encyclopedia is lame to me. It contradicts a lot of things for no practical or thematic benefit, so I don't consider it authoritative.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

You can get away with barely pressing the button at all on most difficulty levels, actually.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

You don' t have to get Big Boss rank for any trophy in MGS2. They're definitely a lot harder than 3's, though. Some day I will finish those last few MGS1 Snake VR missions…

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Yeah, I'm happy that they finally and surprisingly are adding trophies to 4, but if they all just correlate to the end-of-game insignias I won't be pleased. Big Boss isn't even the most tedious one.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

HardDisk posted:

But that's horribly breaking the game 006ca 30-minute Half-Life or just going through it normally?
The initial install takes something horrible like 20 minutes, the four sub-installs take about 6 each. That speedrun that J posted finishes in 1.5 hours, but nobody's going to get a time like that unless they've already put in twenty times as many hours to get good enough and learn exploits, it doesn't count restarts, etc. Skipping cinematics, I usually take 5-6 hours for a playthrough.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Not going to lie, I'm willing to buy it again for that.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

The best solution to Vamp running toward you is to hit him with the Nikita.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I'm enjoying Rainbow Moon so far, battles really become fun after ~20 minutes in when you get the first sub-turn. The dialogue isn't bad, just very dry and utilitarian sometimes. Also, I like the graphic style, but things are tinier than I'd like.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Static Rook posted:

I've been going for the MGS2 Plat off and on for a couple of months now. It manages to be the most difficult AND most time consuming trophy off all time. You're way, waaaay ahead of me though. Don't give up! Getting trophies in small steps, in between other games, has worked so far but I'm really feeling the urge to just marathon the thing and get it done. I fear for my sanity, though.
If you can beat the game on Extreme, most missions won't be too bad for you. But good luck on Pliskin's last grenade mission and MGS1 Snake's first variety mission.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

...! posted:

Someone else was saying that the iPod trophy would be literally impossible because one of the emblems you would have to get is related to Metal Gear Online. Is that true? If so, they'll have to think of a workaround for that.
I just said this in the MGS thread, but I think "excluding tracks obtained via password" means that anything that can be gotten via password (like what you mention and many weapons) simply doesn't count toward the trophy.

Policenaut posted:

I thought everyone was lamenting MGS2 the day they announced that list because they saw Snake Tales and the VR missions requiring 100% completion was on it.
Yeah, the MGS1 Snake missions are way harder than grabbing a subset of the dogtags and beating Extreme.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

...! posted:

If you were to merely say that The Walking Dead is a better game, then I would agree with you (although the two months between episodes is grating). But the things you're saying are silly to the point of being outright stupidity. Calling people manchildren based on the type of games they like (unless they prefer games made for actual children, like Hannah Montana) is so condescending and smug that you just come off like a douche.

And The Walking Dead is an extremely simple game. It's a good game, but it's a simple one, and if you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you. The game's on rails about as much as any game can be. The game definitely railroads you just as much as a Call of Duty game, if not more so.
So did you not read his post, or…?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Polite Tim posted:

Really you could just have someone like Shane Black or Amy Henning or any hollywood screenwriter just edit down the English translation, cut the overall game time in half or at least bring it closer to a 50/50 cutscene to gameplay ratio
Eh, I'd say 4 has very close to a 50/50 ratio. I played through with no kill, no alerts, and watching all of the scenes again after the patch and it took me 16 hours, 8 of those are non-interactive. I'm not saying this is great, but that it could've been even better than people think, if edited down.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Spermando posted:

Solid and Solidus have the same voice in Japanese, which makes sense because you're lead to believe they're the same person. I wouldn't want Hayter to voice Solidus, though. The English actor did a great job.
Yeah, I wish they had got James Cygan for MGS4. The guy they did use was good and fine, but I just love Cygan as Solidus.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

4 would have been much better than 3 (gameplay-wise)if they hadn't given you unlimited access to ammo,health etc. through the pause menu. it completely trivialized stealth and made the game easy as gently caress even on the hardest difficulty.
Depends on what you're going for. Non-lethal ammo isn't available for purchase on the hardest.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

me your dad posted:

What do the different icons mean for the challenges in Tokyo Jungle? The ones with "Exp" seem to indicate ones i have completed. There is one that is green with a "pause" symbol, some teal “C“ icons, and some purple with "R"(?).

What does it mean?
It's hard to see, but they're the letters E, D, C, B, A and S. Like Sam said, they're the challenge tiers, and each opens up after you live for so many years, consequently failing everything you don't complete in the previous tier.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I calibrate my TV with this guide (ignoring the CRT-specific parts) and the color bars on a Criterion disk, then ignore anything the games say unless it's a game-provided setting.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

The gameplay looks fine to me in that japanese blog's videos. If there's a visible difference between 34 and 39 fps, it doesn't come through on youtube (even if they were 60, it probably wouldn't show over youtube). I'm waiting on other sources, but I'll probably pick it up anyhow, since I never played the originals.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's currently only one source of info so far

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Okami isn't too long, but you're basically indestructible, so most of the non-boss fighting gets dull.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Yes, you definitely can use whatever combination of animals you want. Which is probably why the score multiplier is so low; you can team up a carnivore and herbivore and be set for food.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Ico+Yorda and Wander ( Colossi supers!) should be obvious choices.
No, they should put in something from The Last Guardian and continue to not release it

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Scyron posted:

Is DmC worth playing for a first Devil May Cry game?
Yes. It's very well-made. It's generally not as wackadoo as the previous four, but the story is well-told and the gameplay is at least as solid as 3 and 4 (I haven't played the first two). The main problem, like axleblaze has said, is that the initially-available difficulties aren't very tough, but if you've never played a game in the series, this may not be a problem for you.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

These are just straight up lies. The story is horrible and the gameplay is very simple, so much so that can't compare to the previous games at all in terms of depth and skill ceiling. It is about as deep of an action game as God of War, only without the presentation and polish. It is a mediocre action game with a terrible story.
Yes, I sure am lying about how I feel about something. The gameplay is almost identical to the previous games, but with better controls for weapon-switching and different variety for enemies. I can't sympathize with you thinking it lacks presentation and polish; that's just a completely alien opinion to me. If nothing else, the visual design and execution are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It may seem identical on the surface, but there is just no depth at all to DmC. DMC4 let you do all sorts of crazy combos and the possibilities were almost endless. The DMC series was made on technical combat, and DmC just doesn't have it. Basically if you play the game once, you probably won't notice this stuff. But if you play through it more than once and on the highest difficulty(which is a loving joke considering how easy it is), you will start to see the flaws.
I've played 3 and 4 on everything but "Heaven or Hell" and "Hell and Hell" and DmC doesn't feel radically different to me, so I dunno. v:)v If those are what you had in mind, I'll concede to my ignorance.

• Locked thread