Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody been looking forward to Ninja Gaiden 3? http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ninja-gaiden-3-preview/17-5597/

They're playing some preview code which is apparently what was at E3. I have never been a huge fan of this series, but this just looks bad. It looks like they stripped out everything from the fighting engine that people actually liked about these games. Not to mention the story and atmosphere is completely stupid. I mean I know that's kind of goes hand in hand with these types of games, but if you're going to make a shallow button masher you could at least put in the effort to make the story interesting so people have a reason to keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know the new NG isn't very NGey but it still looks fun to me. Bloody dude chopping with the usual 60fps solid polished NG gameplay sounds like a good time.

That's just the problem though, it's not the same gameplay. If you watch the quick-look video the dude specifically comments that most of the time he's just mashing light attack and the game does all those combos for him, it sounds like DMC's easy-automatic mode.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dragon's Dogma has a lot of creative leads from Devil May Cry 3 and 4, it's going to own bones.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If Dragon's Dogma was a Dark Souls clone with Capcom flair and online features not designed to appeal only to the most introverted socially inept type of person I would preorder that poo poo right now. As it is I'm waiting on some reviews.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Badguy posted:

I don't know about that:

But yeah if Sony aren't going to do much to push Toro and Kuro outside Japan then they should put Sackboy in everything. One of the few weakpoints in Modnation were the character designs, will be happy if this is more of the same with sackboys swapped in.

Is that really the best they can do with the PS3? Wind Waker did better cartoon style graphics on the Gamecube.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I always knew that Sony was never comfortable with the idea of bringing Demon's Souls to the United States, but a recent interview shows that they thought the game was just downright poo poo; http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/10/not-publishing-demons-souls-was-a-mistake-says-playstation-worldwide-studios-boss/

Now they are regretting that decision, Sony didn't believe anyone would want to play the game at all. On the plus side, they are seriously considering a Demon's Souls 2 still, and want to work closely again with From Software. Sony still owns the I.P. to Demon's Souls.

I guess they didn't even play Dark Souls, since if they had they would have seen how little the IP matters. Dark Souls did everything just as good with a completely new world.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is SEN down for anybody else? I got network, just can't sign in.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So it turns out the insanely pretty looking Studio Ghibli and Level 5 RPG Ni No Kuni (Or Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch) is being localised with both Japanese and English voice tracks along with subtitles in English, Italian, French, Spanish and German.

The bad news? It won't be out until Q1 2013 in Europe, so who knows when the US release will be?

(News link here)

The only thing that's been hyped about this game is the cut scenes and how they're made by a famous animation studio. No thanks, this isn't 1998.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Your enjoyment of Borderlands will depend on how amused you are by loot. I played for about 2 hours and that was enough to see through the formulaic skinner box tricks, but other people love this game, so who knows.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How is the PS2 port of God Hand? All I'm expecting is nice upscaling and a smooth consistant framerate. Am I going to be disappointed?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they'd have the balls to go after a completely different mythology with the next God of War game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma since I never beat it on the Xbox and I'm starting to remember why I put this game down in the first place. I feel like I'm crazy because everybody talks about this being the best action game ever, but I hate the controls. It never feels like Ryu does what I want him too, he's too twitchy and his air control sucks. Maybe I'm too used to the Devil May Cry style of fighting, it's really difficult without a hard lock-on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Spermando posted:

What's giving you trouble, exactly? NGS' controls are very responsive, at least for me. This isn't like DMC, you need to block half the time and find an opening. You aren't graded for variety or anything, so just stick to what works for you. Feel free to spam izuna drops and flying swallows.

Sometimes it just seems so random, it drives me nuts. Last time I played this game I gave up at Alma, right now I'm early on and getting unconsensually sexed by the spider clan ninjas. It seems like one time I'll kill them easily, and another time I'll get destroyed instantly. The problem with combos and such is that it's hard for me to tell exactly what pressing an attack button will do, because so many of the combos and moves are very context sensitive.
The game also definitely plays like a last gen title: continuing in this game takes too long, there's no automatic saving, and the camera sometimes really sucks. The level designers like to ambush you around corners and the camera does not keep up. Still, I'll keep at it, at least until I find a copy of the DMC HD collection.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

No, SEGA and their inability to market games is the problem.

I can already see this is going to happen to Anarchy Reigns as well.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Sega still has a reputation overall, but their mistake is not realizing people hate new IPs and forgetting to cater to the niche for each game. Most people in Anarchy Reigns' demographic consider Power Stone a classic (makes us feel old I know). If they just told the gaming press that the game is Capcom's Power Stone/Spawn/Gundam arcade games+ultra violence the marketing would take care of itself.
I had completely forgotten about Power Stone. To be honest I was hoping this game would be more like a multiplayer God Hand.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dishonor looks like a game that really should be third person to me. I wonder if they are going first-person for creative reasons, or because it's publisher mandated.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hey whatever happened to that Team Ico game Last Guardian? Seems like it just dropped off the radar completely.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
God of War II is probably the best mix of setpiece and interactivity I've ever experienced. It pushes the boundary, but it feels good and it's very satisfying throughout. God of War III went a little too far, I think, in the setpiece direction. A certain QTE fest with Poseidon comes to mind. Plus the story was just kind of lame and the gore is almost unpalatable at times.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I am looking forward to Lollipop Chainsaw but yeah, like others have said I don't expect very deep or rewarding gameplay, I'm waiting for reviews. Might be a budget purchase down the road.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
PS+ doesn't really give you anything that you can use offline, so if your connection is spotty then don't subscribe.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah I really do like it, it's a really fun game and I want to see it through, but ugh that fight is rocking me. Gonna go grind red orbs and beef myself up a bit then.

Does DMC3 still have a fixed camera? How different is it gameplay wise?

Sort of. You can move the camera with the right stick but it's drat stubborn. You're better off trying to get used to remember which way Dante is facing and adjusting your movements to that.
DMC3 is like DMC on crack and turned up to 11. You'll need to be faster and more alert, but there is also a lot more customization available to you.
It has a level select, so you can go back to any level you've cleared. Once you get the basics down you really wont need to grind, I suggest using your red orbs to grab the basic essential moves (stinger, air hike) then focusing on blue orbs. Once you unlock devil trigger switch to buying purple orbs.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I tried to play some Anarchy Reigns online, but every lobby I was matched into was full of single-bar ping players, and I didn't have the patience at the time to wait for my own lobby to fill up :OI

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Tomb Raider was going to be a survival-puzzle kind of hybrid, but from that trailer it just looks like a QTE on rails Uncharted type game :O(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

I assume the trailer is just showing the exciting bits. You don't really get a sense of the bread and butter of the game from it, do you. It's not on rails at all, there's a whole island to explore. And the trailer even showed glimpses of hunting animals. That's pretty cool.

Yes, that one bit was cool but it seemed to be part of a movie, didn't really feel "gamey". The whole thing just screams spectacle to me right now, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I did enjoy Tomb Raider Anniversary and Underworld, so there's that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

That's great news. I know not being to read the minute facial expressions of fellow raider is a huge obstacle to serious MMO cooperation. You spend so much time looking at their faces too, it's about time somebody implemented this.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah why are people so quick to judge based off a 2 minute trailer which is obviously only going to show glimpses of the exciting parts of the game? From all that's been said about this game it is very non-linear with an emphasis on exploration and survival. I'm sure it has some scripted sequences. It sounds like a really interesting expansion of the Tomb Raider formula.

Why are people forming expectations based on promotional media? I wonder...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, this is what I think would work. PC players are like "but my split-second precision!" but that was the same argument they made against FPSs on consoles and we all know how that worked out.

That's still a valid argument, there's just many people who don't care about playing with assisted aim.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for boss fights in Yakuza 3? These guys are HP sponges, the fights are way too long.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: are you guys saying that opinions about RE5 improved after it came out? I thought it was always regarded as being worse than RE4.

Oh yeah, I have never heard anybody say they liked 5 more. It makes sense really, 5 is just aping 4's general mechanics without any real sort of cohesive design, it feels all over the place and the forced co-op doesn't help. I haven't played 6 because the demo put a bad taste in my mouth, it's somehow even less appealing than 5. I'll probably pick it up on a Steam sale in the future.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
But isn't the whole point of this discussion to find games where getting plat is easy and QUICK? Arkham Asylum is a big god drat game. Regardless everybody should play it without worrying about their virtual "Good job!" stickers.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

I actually enjoy Sigma 1, and think it is on par with Ninja Gaiden black other than the technical hiccups. I still can't use the Lunar to save my life though.

Is the Lunar less useful on higher difficulties or something? I found it to be a huge crutch on my normal difficulty playthrough (which I've yet to finish thanks to those god drat statue demons in the pyramid) because it's really spammy and quite powerful.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Infamous is a fun game, just remember if you play it that it's a third person shooter, not a brawler. Until you learn to play it right it will feel annoying.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched the Lords of Shadow 2 trailer and... is this game going to be a shooter? Why else are they setting it in modern times? Thinking back to that teaser from E3... talk about a bait and switch.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Something else that in-game Dark Souls don't bother to tell you is that are a lot of "hidden" actions. For example: running attacks, directional input&attack, leaping, etc...
It pays to take some time to play with the controls in a safe area and figure out exactly what every weapon and shield can really do.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
God of War looks like great mindless button-mashing fun as usual. Definitely going to pick it up once it drops down a little in price (unless the multiplayer is some incredibly revolutionary new kind of online fighting game.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Namaste posted:

I don't know how there isn't a main thead for The Last Of Us yet (that I can see), but Jesus Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roVr2Ya0DY

So they're slow zombies and they are completely blind? The only real danger there seems to be the dark. It would be scarier if you were fighting other survivors with guns.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing through Lords of Shadow, because it's been on my backburner for ages, and holy poo poo does this game take home the booby prize for most offensive uses of QTEs. They really went overboard. The blocking mechanic in this game is also hella broken and the only thing that keeps it from completely dominating this game is how poor most of the enemy tells are, to the point where you just can't see an attack coming at all sometime.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on what you consider a cutscene. The mid-fight mini cutscenes definitely have them. And you can die instantly. Nothing more rewarding than beating a boss and then having to repeat the last stage because you flubbed the QTE prompt.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with playing a watered down God of War is that the production values are basically the biggest draw to that series. Strip it away and you've got a mediocre albeit competent hack and slash, i.e. Lords of Shadow. You could do a lot worse with $5 though, it's not completely lacking in value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

To play God Hand, you must reach the zen state where you feel totally natural using both hands on one side of the controller during certain points in combat, and switching back at a moment's notice. It is an incredible game, one of my all time favorites.

Whaaaaat? When would you ever need to do that? (I only played the original PS2 version, did it have different controls?)

• Locked thread