Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

...! posted:

Do you put quarters in your PS3? If not, there's no reason to attract you. It might be similar to an attract mode, but it's not one.

When they set up a game in a store for people to try out does it become an attract mode again? Does the context in which the animation is played define whether it is or isn't an attract mode? Does anyone even care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's a Castlevania game in name only, and quite frankly it sucks a lot. The combat is really terrible, which is 75% of the game right there, and some of the levels are just so horribly designed and infuriating to get through. Do yourself a favor and get God of War III instead, because that's exactly what Lords of Shadow tries to be, and fails at it in every way.

If combat is important to you, I do not recommend the God of War series. Unfortunately the PS3 is worse for character action games than the Xbox, which has the non-Sigma versions of the Ninja Gaiden games and the better version of Bayonetta, which doesn't run at a terrible framerate. Hopefully the Devil May Cry collection will be good!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If it's a collection of just the third one, maybe.

Devil May Cry 3 HD Collection with 2 free bonus games!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Mug posted:

Most of us played the poo poo out of it unpatched. There was never any "serious" issues. It used to take way longer to load before the patch, that's all.

Mug posted:

"half the framerate and lower-quality textures" compared to a version that most people who play the game on PS3 will never interact with in their life. Why would it affect their experience at all?

I used to have a roommate with an Xbox 360, and I played the demo for Bayonetta on 360 before trying it on PS3. The difference is huge and I personally think it affects the gameplay experience. To me playing an action game of that kind with a low, unstable framerate would be like playing a fighting game with a low framerate. Getting as much information as possible out of a constant high framerate is important and I find it extremely unacceptable when games like MvC3 are not locked at 60fps on PS3. You can play through the game fine, but the more you delve into the systems and try to dig into the combos and playing on higher difficulties for high scores, the ability to time and react to whats happening on screen is diminished. If I am remembering correctly, it also has less contrast making it muddier and more difficult to parse what is happening on screen.

If you have no option to play Bayonetta on 360, it's a fantastic game on PS3 still and very much worth playing. I do however find it aggravating when people give out misinformation about it's performance on PS3.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, there are two or three parts that have terrible, terrible slowdown. One of those parts involve a lot of platforming. And the game actually looks bad compared to the XBOX version, and I wish they would release a better version one day. Vanquish looked excellent on the PS3, so I know it can be done.

Yeah it's nothing to do with the PS3, Sega just did not do a very good job porting it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Renoistic posted:

There are two new gameplay clips from the DMC reboot on GT.

The fighting looks better than in Ninja Theory's earlier titles, the music fits the DMC brand, and the jumping segment in the second clip is beautifully presented. I doubt hardcore DMC fans will see this as a worthy successor but I'm definitely intrigued. Hopefully NT will be able to make the game both beautiful to look at and to play this time.

It seems like another case where using the name of an existing franchise is a bit pointless. Looking at the combat videos it seems like the developers don't understand the concept of "zoning". The grab attack reaches too far and the roll dodge seems to cover a large distance. Allowing the player to control space at such a distance so easily could hurt the depth the game might have. The air combos also look like they take no effort for you to remain in the air, you just float there. I can see where they are trying to bring in ideas from Devil May Cry but a lot of the physics, animation, speed and range of attacks just look wrong. I'm sure it could be a fun game on it's own terms, and of course I'm judging things from a brief video, but the combat just doesn't look very good from what they are showing.

Two important things they haven't shown yet are the HUD and how the combo system will be scored, if it's scored at all. If they remove the combo and scoring system I will have pretty much zero faith in them having any idea what makes a good Devil May Cry game.

That said, I also feel like I have a strong bias against Ninja Theory. I do not like their previous games at all and am unlikely to be convinced of them making a good game until I play it first hand.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

The best part of new trailers is that you get lots of new comments! Metal Gear Rising is off to a great start.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Japan's decline in relevance in the video game industry seems to have struck Kojima at a deeply personal level. In that closing segment, he essentially speaks about video games as a matter of national pride.

I just don't understand why a notable amount Japanese developers are having so many problems at the moment. Journalists seem to lay the blame on making "HD" assets, but it always appears to be poor planning and lack of direction. Final Fantasy 13 produced way more assets than they needed for the final game and they cut a lot of the art and areas when they actually attempted to put together a game. It seems more like each developer is coincidentally having problems with game design, direction and planning rather than issues related strictly to the current generation of hardware.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I mean after killing the 15th non-white in the same drat area, (not) patiently waiting behind the same chest high wall for 10 minutes, the game starts getting annoying and racist.

I'm not a fan of the first Uncharted game but you are a crazy person.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its obvious that the shooting sections are long and boring to pad out the game. I want to just enjoy the story and exploration. I wouldnt mind the shooty bits if they were simply a distraction. Instead they are terrible and long. If you have to make excuses for why the shooty bits are bad then you're pretty much fanboying it up.

Ive enjoyed other naughty dog games (crash, jak and daxter), but this first uncharted is just frustratingly boring. Every time I find myself saying "man tomb raider handled this so much better" which is poo poo I feel I shouldn't be saying on a flagship game as this. Its a shame to because when those shooty bits are over the exploration is so much better than anything else out there.

I'm gonna drudge through this poo poo to see if it does get better. If not its back to gamestop with it.

It is not a good shooting game, and there is a lot of shooting. You can shoot through walls if you aim out of cover because of the way the aiming works, making the cover system useless. If you are curious about seeing the story before you try the much better Uncharted 2, exploiting that quirk makes the game fast and easy on any difficulty.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean like Kazuya's special ability to...punch people really hard?

edit: or get thrown off a mountain without being killed

Gain the power to slide around everywhere really quickly while ducking repeatedly.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Some new gameplay videos of Dragon's Dogma showing off the Fighter and Strider classes.

Combat looks really, really fun. I've never played Monster Hunter, so I can't compare to that, but these vids game me a real "Twilight Princess HD" feel (in a good way).

There's no HUD or NPC helpers in those clips though, so it's not 100% indicative of what gameplay will actually be like.
Personally I'm more of a solo player, so I hope there's an option to hold the NPCs back and take on monsters alone.

Capcom really do not know how to promote this game. I'm assuming those enemies have large health bars for demo purposes, but showing the player repeatedly do the same things is just not interesting. I really dislike the trend of pausing gameplay on hit also. It's possible Dragon's Dogma could be a game that I enjoy, but they are doing a very poor job of showing it off.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It's a Monster Hunter holdover. Capcom is really stupid sometimes and keeps really awful things from their older games like canned animations when taking damage (Lost Planet).

The Monster Hunter games use it far more subtly and with it's slower pace it happens far less often. If I'm remembering correctly the 3rd generation doesn't use it at all and in the older games it only pauses the player character briefly when they connect a hit. My main experience is with Tri so I might be wrong.

Honey Badger posted:

Might have to look into them, then. How much patience are we talking, here? The Ninja Gaiden games are pretty much my limit for frustration. Is it more or less obnoxious than that?

The Souls games are much slower paced than Ninja Gaiden, as long as you prepare well and are thoughtful with your actions the games are not as difficult as people make them out to be. The difficulty mainly comes from punishing careless players, rather than testing reaction times and familiarity with combat systems like Ninja Gaiden.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I really, really like how many of the design decisions seem to be describable as "like in Monster Hunter." That Monster Hunter Tri got held to just the Wii was a tragedy; This finally looks a bit like a MH game coming to the big consoles.

Dragon's Dogma has no co-op which is the entire basis for Monster Hunter existing. There are a few similarities, but Dragon's Dogma doesn't really seem that much like a Monster Hunter game to me and it's annoying that Capcom USA have been positioning it as something for Monster Hunter fans whenever people ask about them localizing the MH series.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

ArtIsResistance posted:

Also, what's the general consensus on Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I saw it in a used game store and I want to hear some opinions before I buy it.

It's probably the worst of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games so far, very diluted from the original Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360. It has less enemies and changes how upgrading weapons works so you don't spend the same currency on them as you do to buy items. I'm not sure what it would be like if you haven't played the original NG2, but I thought it was pretty disappointing to revisit in its Sigma form.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Danthrax posted:

The Uncharted series, LittleBigPlanet and its sequel, Flower, Assassin's Creed series, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous and Infamous 2 are all what I'd call "non-hardcore-gamer" games and most of them should be pretty cheap now. The sequels all improve on their predecessors too. I haven't played Twisted Metal yet but if it has split-screen co-op then go wreck poo poo together. And I think nearly everyone's looking forward to Journey.

It's really important to figure out what are Hardcore games, what are gamers games, core gamers games, casual core and casual games. It makes me wretch when I buy a game thinking its a core gamer game, but it's actually casual hardcore. They should put this stuff on the box like ESRB ratings.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Kinda figured the team without Itagaki would make a lovely Ninja Gaiden game. I hate to sound like a jerk but I always found NG and NG2 sigma not very challenging. The new bosses just sucked, and I never liked the direction the game went with it. Like the cosmetic changes like having a characters arm sliced off and it's purple mist or they took out all the blood/gore. Felt like I was just cutting a bunch of mannequin models in half. When I saw the gameplay for NG3, I knew I wasn't going to like it at all. QTEs, lovely rear end wall climbing, one ninpo attack.

And the fact the guy in charge was all selling it on the story and make it more appealing to the "masses" made me knew that game was going to be poo poo. : (

A lot of people feel the way you do, including myself. I thought Sigma 2 was especially bland and boring. The characters they added to the Sigma games really didn't appeal to me either.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I have a PS2 as well (but obviously not with the same games as I have on the PS3) but I don't THINK I see any big difference. But then, the only big difference I remember from when I had a BC PS3 was that the aspect ratio was slightly narrower.

The difference would be dependant on the TVs people use, as a PS2 will be upscaled by the TV and a PS3 running a PS2 game upscales via the PS3 internally.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

God of War co-op would be cool, but I can't see competitive multiplayer.

It's been a while since I played a God of War game, but can't you cancel all attacks into block or roll? Imagine a fighting game where you could cancel any attack you did into a block or back dash, it would turn into an incredibly turtley game where you can make any offense safe or bait out attacks after briefly starting your own. I'm guessing there will be some serious overhaul to the combat system if they want it to be any good, I personally don't have much faith in them doing this though.

I won't play it as I find the gore and general attitude of the God of War series bizarre and off putting, but I am curious how they would tackle player vs player combat in a game like that.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm more worried about Hitomi's face in this video. Something is just off about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GU9Dlult9c

edit: and that it will be just terrible gameplay wise, since it wasn't even all that good to start and now it is in the hands of people who don't seem to understand anything.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 comes out the same month so there is no reason to buy this game. :twisted:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still think the animations in the DOA series are peerless among 3d fighters, just in the "oomph" department.

Have you played Virtua Fighter recently?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

It's an incredible fighting system and when you come to grips with it, it transforms the game. I started Batman: AA like it was Streets of Rage and mashed against one guy at a time. But then the combo idea really took hold and the rest of the game was amazing. And for me, someone who never got to "the next level" with DMC or GOW, it was very accessible and rewarded observation and planning more than memorization and super fast button mashing.

I have a large fascination with combat systems in video games, and personally I don't like the combat in the recent Batman games. I am generally not a fan of combat that has heavily context sensitive attacks. It never feels like I am directly controlling Batman, there are too many gaps the game fills the games for you. You don't have to be concerned about any form of distancing for melee hits or choosing attacks, you just say to Batman "attack the person in this direction" and the game will choose an appropriate attack based on the distance. The counter move is too powerful, and you are able to cancel animations of Batmans actions into a dive or counter too easily, making attacks have little risk.

Of course this means it's more accessible like you said, but the praise the combat gets is pretty crazy to me. The tools stop the game being a total bore, and it can be interesting to mess around with them, but I find they are either unnecessary or are treated as too much of a direct counter to certain enemy types. The game ends up feeling brainless to me, much like the God of War series. They create a variety of tools for the player to use, but there is not much reason to explore the options they give you and no real depth beyond the surface.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

The whole point of the Arkham combat is to be a Batman simulator. If the game was like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, I would undoubtedly hate it because I suck at those kinds of "make mistake you die" combat systems.

I don't think anyone is wrong for enjoying it, the game achieves what it sets out to do well. I just don't think it is as interesting as some people make it out to be, but it's personal taste. I think the game is great at making the player feel strong as soon as they pick the controller up, but I prefer it when that feeling of strength comes from spending time learning the depths of a games mechanics.

I think calling it a Batman Simulator isn't really right though. It's more like you are telling him what to do, rather than simulating his actions.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I the only one who likes predator fights much more than fistfights in AA and AC?

edit: I didn't feel like Batman combat was any easier or harder than DMC, just different. If you're bad at either of them you can die pretty fast.

I feel the same way. I did enjoy Arkham Asylum, I felt the predator sections worked much better as a fun sandbox to mess around with tools in than the direct melee combat does.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

I find that surprising I guess. In Asylum, I felt there was a nice mixture of enemy types at the further levels so you were in a position of needing to be aware of your surroundings and how is where to get the most out of it. I also played it again on hard without the prompt and felt very comfortable even without the visual prompt because I'd been paying attention to enemies for so long. And using the general purpose gadgets like reeling people in or using batarangs kept it always fresh and trying different stuff.

Contrast that to my GoW experience where I really mashed the hell out of that game. I really enjoyed it and it was visceral, but it was nowhere near as dynamic for me. I barely even weapon switched and I beat the higher difficulties on that. But, as I said, I never got "next level" so there's doubtless depth I missed like I end up missing on so many games that take cues from fighting games. My complexity meter pegged at Street Fighter 2. When you swing chain blades in a 120° arc 25 feet from you, it becomes more abstract.

I think it boiled down to me really enjoying more of the translation of what I wanted to do being discrete actions that followed along logically. Okay, guy right there punch him, punch the guy slightly to his left and, oooo counter, okay, they're pretty far let's rope them in, guy with a knife so he gets some dust to the face, they're getting clustered let's hop over a guy for some room. All of that was intensely satisfying when coupled with the feedback of your improving play which was faster and faster rhythm and solid connections that never lost the feeling of "button press->break bones" instead of combo hit inflation spam.

It's when you get in a room with tasers, weapon wielding, and a giant and take them out through liberal use of gadgets and knees to the back that I think it really differentiates itself from the GoW/DMC/Bayonetta approach. And I really don't relish going back to XXTriangleSquare combos for GoW4. I know I will, but it's hard to imagine it won't draw comparisons.

There isn't really a "next level" with God of War I find. I should clarify that I like the Batman games more than the God of War series, and overall I think the Batman games are more interesting, but they both gave me similar feelings when it specifically comes to their melee combat systems.

I don't think games have to give you a mile long move list or over complicate things with various character and enemy states either. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have really great combat and there is a lot of depth to them even though you only have a handful of attacks. You directly control which attacks you use, and there is a large importance on spacing between your character, the enemy and the world around you that decides when it is appropriate to take certain actions. What the Souls games do with a small move set ends up creating a large amount of depth that warrants people spending a lot of time learning the intricacies that are created from how the game is designed to succeed in fighting both AI enemies and even more so other players. I think smartly limiting the player goes very far when it comes to creating depth without complication. I personally think that the combat in Batman games are about empowering the player, at the cost of depth.

Ape Agitator posted:

Again, this might be owing to my overall skill level but I really developed over the course of the game much greater ability. I think there's depth in the fighting system to be found and the steady introduction of more tools as you progressed also upped the ways you could tackle a mass of enemies. And the feedback of the wind going out of your sails when you broke a combo with bad timing or a poor choice was a strong way to shape your play. I really went from "Streets of Rage" to "I am Batman" and felt comfortable enough to go right into "no hints" hard mode right afterwards.

I think it's fantastic that the game can create this feeling in players, I unfortunately just don't get that from playing it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

They finally grasped webcam technology from 5 years ago, amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94Q9eJB-vc

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wasn't Uncharted meant to be Tomb Raider with an American accent?

Tomb Raider tends to have more open areas and platforming that doesn't boil down to moving the stick until Drake puts his arm out then hitting X. Uncharted did it's own thing by making it a very directed and linear experience with a lot of spectacle, if Tomb Raider directly copies this then it would lose it's identity, not that many people care about it anymore.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Eh, the platforming in Tomb Raider has always been iffy anyways. I enjoy it but it's not exactly something that anyone should try and lord over Uncharted.

Also, not all Tomb Raiders have been that open. Legend, which I think might be the best of the series so far, was basically just as linear as an Uncharted game. Underworld tried to bring back the open spaces but the those were also probably the worst part of that game.

I'm not saying that Tomb Raider is better than Uncharted, just that the focuses are different even though they share similarities on the surface. I would prefer them to work on the gameplay aspects of Tomb Raider rather than trying to make it a cinematic experience because I really don't care for story heavy linear games unless they are of ridiculously high quality like the Uncharted series.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Virtua Fighter isn't very far removed from other fighting games. The mechanics behind the game are the same in most fighting games and Virtua Fighter is no different. High, mid and low attacks (high, overhead and low in 2d games), different frame advantages/disadvantages for moves that you have to think about and a similar combo system. People who claim it's a sim are pretty far off, it just attempts to be more grounded within the base mechanics used for fighting games. As grounded as a game where you could originally jump 15 feet in the air can be anyway.

Also if you think that having to learn a game to be good at it is bad you make me cry. :qq:

Cyra posted:

Certainly feels better to play than a janky rear end Tekken
Please don't.

Bleep fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 13, 2012

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

So okay I know a lot of you fighting game dorks hang out here so I gotta ask.

I've played a lot of fighting games [Guilty Gear series, Street Fighter series, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Dead or Alive series, MvC series, etc] and of all of them, I just... can't... "get" Tekken. It feels incredibly sluggish and slow to me. What am I doing wrong? Is it more about chaining together smooth combinations of attacks or what?

I've been playing from Tekken 2 to Tag Tournament and have always been horrible at all of them. I know it's something I'm doing wrong because of how much people love the series, I just wish I knew what that was.

Tekken has a very intricate movement system with combat that is heavily based on knowing frame properties of moves and hit confirming the start of a string so that you aren't left at a frame disadvantage by completing an unsafe string. Dashes and sidesteps can be cancelled at any point and it's a skill that is very important to learn. When I first tried getting into Tekken I had the same feelings about the game you do terms of sluggishness, but once you learn the game you will realise that is incredibly far from the truth.

Here is a tutorial that might help you understand the movement and how it is not sluggish when controlled correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_trL1pZeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwTz9FOwxQ

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

For context, imagine if any video game retailer in America was not allowed to sell games that are rated M for mature, at all.

This isn't an accurate comparison. The ratings system is different here, games that would get a blanket M in usa would be split between either being MA15+ or R18+ in Australia. Video games do not share the 18+ rating that movies have so if they are considered too violent for 15+ they won't get a rating and can't be sold. It's quite rare for games to be considered "adult" enough to be above 15+ and get no rating.

It doesn't matter anyway, as lot of people import games to avoid the higher local prices.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Vanquish is by far my favourite third or first person shooting game released on a console. It manages to take mechanics I don't like in modern games, turn them on their head and make it something fantastic. It's short, but fun to replay and you should be able to find it really cheap.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Bravely Default seems to be the RPG that people want Square-Enix to make, it just happens to not have the Final Fantasy name. It's probably a good thing it doesn't, given how much that name has been dragged through the mud.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

G4 is reporting on rumors that Metal Gear Solid 5 was shown behind closed doors at SDCC and they have some nice blurry photo's that are completely not mocked up to "prove" it...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/725956/metal-gear-solid-5-reportedly-revealed-at-san-diego-comic-con/

Konami UK says these are fake. https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/224824735974948864

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

From PS Blog's blogcast:
Grand Theft Auto III and War of the Monsters are coming out as PS2 Classics next week on PSN.

GTA: Vice City is coming soon, but no one knows when that is coming out.

What are peoples general experiences with PS2 classics? The only one I own is Virtua Fighter 4 from the European store and it suffered from weird slow down that ruined the flow of the game. Is this a problem in general with the emulation or something specific to Sega doing a bad job with Virtua Fighter 4?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-darksiders-ii/17-6376/

Giantbomb guys and some of the developers from Vigil showing off the new combat, loot, and skill trees.

These two things are starting to get really unappealing to me. A lot of western developers RPG elements tend to fall down to these two things. I've never been a fan of randomized and regular loot as I prefer to have gear that I personally choose or create, such as in Monster Hunter where you can clearly set out to create specific sets of weapons and equipment for different purposes. Skill trees always seemed like a very lazy way to go about character customization by limiting you to choices along linear paths, I find it much more interesting when I am able to blend skills from different sources through my own discovery rather than rigid paths with contrived branches.

I didn't like the first Darksiders at all though so I don't know why I'm paying attention this!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

The skill trees are not linear as mentioned in the video. There are 2 styles of skills, combat and magic, and you can pick and choose from them if you attain the right level.

Darksiders 2 also has 'possessed' weapons which have their own unique upgrade paths, e.g. a higher crit chance, higher base damage, an elemental attack, higher wrath (MP) generation, etc. You can level up a possessed weapon by feeding it all that lovely loot you don't want to use or sell. Maybe watch the video instead of focusing on my 1 sentence summary, or just ignore Darksiders 2 because you didn't like the first one, that's perfectly valid.

I was just saying I'm tired of so many developers using the exact same design when it comes to character building. Absolutely nothing stands out about the way that Darksiders II handles skill trees. I feel like I've seen this screen dozens of times before:

The only thing that separates the loot system from other games is that you can treat the possessed ones like Mags. It just feels so contrived to me otherwise. I have no problem with people anticipating this game, I just don't understand the appeal of playing a game with all the design ideas taken from well trodden paths. I posted because I wanted to find out how other people feel about this, so I'm happy to read peoples responses one way or the other.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

So I picked up Castlevania: Harmony of Despair again going through random games I'd bought, and is it balanced for multiplayer? Is it possible to play through alone? It seems pretty loving tough for me playing solo, but then again, I'm probably just getting bad at video games.

If you are going to play it solo I recommend picking Soma, he's the best character in the game and has a lot of abusable skills. Always abuse dive kicks for momentum and shortcuts. Here's an example of someone using divekicks and Soma's Yorick soul to create shortcuts, as well as a funny glitch to clip through a wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYSlOfQluhM&t=10s

I really like Harmony of Despair and I have a bunch of friends who feel the same way. It's a completely ridiculous cheap lazy cash in that is completely broken and somehow through that it manages to be incredibly fun to me. I really like score attack/speed runs and the broken ways you can abuse character movement and attack cancelling lead to a high skill ceiling that ends up being a blast to try and get better at. The grind aspect comes naturally if you are the kind of person who enjoys this, and it gets even more entertaining if you have a group playing each using a different character to abuse different glitches and shortcuts. Pretty much what I'm saying is it's broken, unbalanced and lazy but if you are a crazy person you will love it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

If you buy the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on PSN do you download each game separately or do they count as one game? I have an old PS3 with a small hard drive and with the current games I have installed I would not be able to fit 20gb onto it, but I would be able to fit one or two of them on at a time. If I buy them individually from USA PSN it would still be cheaper than buying the game in Australia or importing with fast shipping.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Ybrik posted:

Hey you're in luck I bought the collection yesterday. They are individually downloadable with 3 at ~9.5GB, PW at ~3.5GB, and 2 at ~8.8GB.

Awesome, thanks! I really need to put in a bigger hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

epitasis posted:

What's the best way to get into Metal Gear if I've never played any of them, and in what order? Is the PS3 HD collection notably better than the Xbox one or should I go by controller preference?

From what I understand of the Xbox 360 version they had to make concessions with the controls for the second and third games to account for the 360 controller not having pressure sensitive buttons, the PS3 version is probably the best because of this.

• Locked thread