Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Infamous 2 got an update adding Move support and adding a few more effects and options to their User Generated Content editor.

I've got the game on rent and their UGC is a seriously amazing thing. They just added the ability to create comic book style word balloon cutscenes including filters and stuff.

I had the game rented but I think I need to buy it just because of the editor. It was also kind of them to provide a trophy for playing Newest UGC stuff so everything seems to get plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've been keeping myself low info as far as Journey goes. Does it have a "hang around" after it's done factor or is it more goal oriented and "done" when you're done?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It should be mentioned that Alpha Protocol substantively changed if you let certain people live and killed others. Most of them were aholes and terrorists but still, it's a gray world that altered as you made decisions.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I love Uncharted and Naughty Dog but they have definitely made a bad game. I still own it complete but, uh, not exactly their shining hour. ;)

I see nothing wrong. :colbert:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

Started playing some Infamous 2 finally.

I don't know, I really clicked with 2's storyline. I will agree that Nix is obnoxious but I really, really like Kuo and Zeke and Nix generally goes away before you hit peak annoyance.

I will say that it's worth going to the end because the moral question was at least a fair attempt at it. You may not think it achieves it but I liked the story a lot more than 1's story.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Honey Badger posted:

Ugh I was really excited about playing through the Silent Hill HD collection and getting to experience some of my favorite freaky games with trophy support and all that jazz, but the trophy list got leaked and holy poo poo. You have to play through SH2 7 or 8 times, and one of the trophies is getting the green hyper spray, which is seriously one of the most challenging things I've ever tried (and failed) to accomplish in a video game. It might literally be one of the hardest trophies of all time.

Why do all these HD collections keep requiring me to play through each game a dozen times? Sometimes I hate being a completionist.

Just do what I do... keep the game for years and years and get one trophy ending and then put it down for a long time and then get the next trophy ending after a few months.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I found Shadow of the Colossus and ICO on the PSN store for my PS3, bout 50 bucks for both. I've heard lots of love for SotC on here, how about ICO? Is it worth buying the bundle or should I just get SotC for about $30?

Speaking from my PS2 experience they're totally separate game styles with similar theme and art direction. If you like puzzle+action gameplay, I'd think you'd like both of them but Ico isn't a prerequisite to enjoying SOTC.

I personally liked Ico but I loved SOTC. I would get the bundle just because I like the thematic style they brought to both games. Plus it led to one of the handful of times I liked a Penny Arcade strip. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/9/28/

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually you can skip step 1 and just mash counter over and over again. It's slow but it will get the job done. I agree that combat is the low point of the series, which as I have said plenty of times before, is at odds with the whole massive weapon and armor collecting minigame.

Assassin's Creed (the entire series) really disappointed me in even the concept of having "combat". You're an assassin, not Kratos, so why would you even be swinging maces and stuff instead of disappearing into the shadows.

I remember back when they were doing the AC1 tech demonstration and I'd swear that some commentator or another said you didn't want to get caught in combat because it was deadly but combat in AC is anything but. Most times you can fight until you get bored and there's almost no risk.

I think the AC series would have been far more successful in concept if anything besides 1v1 combat was a death sentence. It would have given the game the necessary tension and thrill that I think it was lacking. When Brotherhood proved to have more of the same, I basically gave up on the series. I had a lot of fun with the series (well, with AC2 and AC:Brotherhood) but I've got no more interest in waiting to press counter yet again. And I don't really care if I get a successful assassination because unless they hard code a mission failure for being seen you can just beat faces.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

I liked some aspects of Uncharted 1 more than 2 or 3. I really liked the brutal combo and I thought that the twist in the first one was the most interesting.

Yeah, the Brutal Combo made me enjoy combat in UC1 more than the other two. There are undeniable improvements in the sequels that make them generally better games but the way UC1 took cover hugging gameplay and somehow made it a constant close combat brawl and gun is really impressive.

Of course, then there's jet skis... :(

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Harlock posted:

Dark Souls for $18

Who knows if even I can resist that price.

Well, it's been proven definitively that I can't.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Morpheus posted:

I find it funny that this is a common sentiment. I mean, it's a good sentiment to have, though realistically it's not really possible without jacking up costs (they'd have to put a Cell processor in every PS4, the way I understand it). This would make people complain and not want to purchase a product, which loses sales.

Frankly I just keep my old consoles plugged in. It's a little bit more hassle, but not a terrible thing.

I think in retrospect that what happened to the PS3 ended up being not so bad. The launch version came out with BC and then after some iterations BC was dropped for lower cost. I think it helped immensely for the early PS3 given that they were second out of the gate behind XBox so being shackled to only launch window titles would have been much rougher.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

EC posted:

I agree with a lot of your other points, but I would still argue that BC is far from standard. Sony pulled it out of their systems entirely. Microsoft stopped releasing updates for it in 2007. The Wii has dropped support recently as well (going by someone's post on the last page). Only the handhelds seem to keep it alive.

But I think BC's greatest value is at launch when titles are scarce and titles with lasting quality are even more scarce. Dropping support for BC years after launch doesn't really matter because by then they've got a solid library of titles built from experience for the newest generation.

Really, I don't think it's persuasive to say that BC tapering off means it isn't a seriously valuable part of a new console generation. Some have said and I'd agree with them that buying a console in the first year is just not a smart thing to do. Knowing you can play mature generation games during the huge gulf between generally underbaked launch titles and seriously memorable games that follow a year out.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Canada lowered the value of its dollar for a while in the 90s. You would get like $13 USD for $20 CDN. It sucked.

I remember reading comic books and the canadian prices on the covers was just perplexing and strange. I thought maybe the Canadians lost a bet and had to put money in country sized swear jar or something.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

skinny white boy posted:

I would do this but my triangle button is a little stiff and I can't brutalized dudes. The game keeps prompting me to and it just won't happen.

I might suggest you hold off until you can get a DS replacement. Uncharted with brutal combos is some of the most fun I've had with this generation of games.

This is pretty much what your essential Uncharted series combat should look like, just freestyle shootbeatings and leave the constant cover humping to the Gears people. (Unspoilery Uncharted 3 combat, but pretty much UC1-3 for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLv6pR6ZSk#t=2m38s

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Does darksiders get any better? I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to stop out of boredom. I thought my GoW days were over.

I personally never loved it's combat but I did like the puzzles so if you lean toward the latter I would stick with it. I've never been a DMC type player and got through GoW mostly through button mashing so I undoubtedly missed some of the enjoyment of the variable weapon type combat in Darksiders. So maybe combat could have been more fun if I had played it that way.

But I will definitely play Darksiders 2 when it comes around.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Megasabin posted:

You pretty much summed up my entire post more eloquently with "[it] was basically Uncharted by the numbers". I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted Series because I really think the massive amount of effort and pride they put into each game shows through. I was disappointed by 3 because all of that personalized effort was missing, and it instead felt like the product of a "Uncharted Gameplay/Story Sequence Generator" machine.

At the least/most, it has a really, really good multiplayer and imported maps with a nice progression/customization system. So no matter what the singleplayer turned out as, it's a justified purchase in that front.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just imagined Uncharted in Finland featuring huge SotC style trolls, oh god oh god

Uhh, I need a moment alone.

What can I do to make this happen? Kill an elder god or collect the lost Sankara Stones? What?!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

So ~5.5 hours into Mass Effect 2 and I'm starting over...Infiltrator sucks...why didn't any of you tell me not to chose Infiltrator? :qq:

So...Engineer any good?

Engineer was my first ME2 playthrough (on non-Insanity) and I found it very enjoyable. Your distraction globe of enemy annoyance provides a great cushion for battles for you to recover shields and seek new cover and the general Engineer abilities help with robot types. Sure you're weak to biotics but that's what your globe of distraction is for.

I recommend it. But I wouldn't recommend it for Insanity, if only because I was unimpressed by the Sentry's applicability at the higher difficulty. Died kind of quick and the explosive option was underwhelming in Normal and more underwhelming in Insanity.

I went with Adept for my Insanity playthrough because I found the biotic combos satisfying destructively even on the higher difficulty.

Edit: I remember reading that but after quitting my Engineer insanity, trying a few others briefly (first fight basically), I was just wrecking people with Adept. Singularity made cover irrelevant for enemies, stunlocks oversized enemies, and the Warp-Sing-Warp meant that one single guy in a group of heavily shielded/biotic groups would seriously wreck his nearby friends. It was very fun and it was great having tools that you could use when every drat thing in Insanity was shielded or armored.
V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, I was just going to say that this looks like Rise of the Robots Neon.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Forgive all the ME2 questions, but I don't know where else to ask...

When scanning a planet, and sending out probes and all that crap to get upgrade materials, is there any reason to stop "harvesting" before the planet becomes poor/depleted? Like...will it "regrow" some of the resources if I leave it at moderate for a while?

And near as I can tell, the controller vibrates when there's a lot of iridium...I don't see the point of that, since I have that graph on the screen telling me how much is there...unless the vibrations mean something else?

I think it changed from release to present, where they increased the overall availability of minerals per planet. However, I think planets have a static resource value because I could tell when I returned to planets that I had been there just because there was nothing left.

As for the vibration, I think they were going for some kind of multisensory result where some minerals vibrated and some wiggled the sensor meter horizontally and some made a static noise and so forth to make it feel more "vibrant". It failed to make things interesting like everything involved in their mining minigame. Ignore it and just deal with the graph to target your results and don't waste time with anything but high spikes because the current version of the game will comfortably meet all your upgrade needs as long as you're a little dilligent with keeping your probe counts high and visiting planets.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 7, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Vinlaen posted:

I'm thinking about :

Ratchet & Clank - A Crack In Time (I loved the first PS3 game but heard All 4 One is bad)
Valkyria Chronicles
3D Dot Game Heroes (is this any good?)
Fat Princess (does anybody play any more?)

I loved Crack in Time (although I somehow might have liked Tools of Destruction more for some reason, even though CiT improves lots of stuff and plays wonderfully). I would recommend against Quest for Booty, the PSN only one, because even though it's got good production values, it's short and they didn't add in the base level of replay value that the other R&C games had. If they had secrets or a new game+ worth a drat like any other R&C game I would nudge it over into the "try if you're a superfan".

I personally really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles for scratching the turn based strategy itch with a nice visual style. It is anime as all get out though. But the mechanics of the game were very good in my opinion and fun to explore and get better at.

Dot Game Heroes is a solid remake of Zelda/Zelda LTTP and well worth playing. Although do yourself a favor and set aside some time at the start making your own avatar. Whether you make a giant dong or an Ape Escape monkey like I did, it makes the game much more fun.

Even though the cross platform Dark Souls has come out, the original Demon Souls is a real treasure and worth your time. It plays well, is challenging but rewarding, and the servers are still up. Even though it's not required and is a quasi single player game, the extra atmosphere that ghosts provide is awesome.

On the PSN front, it's very strange being Japanese, but I really like The Last Guy as a quasi old school arcade experience. The level of greed it pushes me to is amazing as I keep trying to save more and more people all at once.

It's also worth checking out Burn Zombie Burn as a twin stick shooter with nice gameplay mechanics built into it. Just like The Last Guy it rewards greed as you keep zombies on fire and unblowed up until the last moment.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Edit: I know what you mean. It sucks that they could patch in some lengthening features into it because they did pour a lot of love into designing it. But it feels way too short in ways that stand out in stark contrast to the games it sits between. If it can't get patched, it should not remain a $15 game.

Vinlaen posted:

I actually bought that game (Demon Souls) and I think it's a collectors edition (???) because it has a strategy guide mini-book with it, etc. However, I never really got around to playing it. The biggest reason is that I think it came out around the same time my son was born and because of the crushing difficulty (and severe time constraint) I doubt I'll ever get around to playing it... :(

Yeah, it needs a fair amount of continuity of play because you learn through experience and large breaks will mean it gets harder to get further. You could try and overlevel stuff by farming and turning in souls but that's far from rewarding and doesn't really make the game easier because there's so many ways to die.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm a fan of making your own characters and it looks like it's very flexible. If it does have complexity, I'm all over it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Cardboard Fox posted:

I really liked 2's multiplayer but couldn't really get into 3. I would try it again if I wasn't already playing multiple games.

The week I actually played 3 I was getting destroyed left and right. Kind of ruined the experience for me since I actually got quite good at 2.

The best way to get into UC3 multiplayer are the team based objective modes because they help your team help you survive. People get focused and it becomes way less about 1v1 (because the low mods will put you at a disadvantage) and lets you apply your UC skills in positive ways even when you don't have map knowledge.

Even TDM spreads people out more and gets you into more 1v1 than you should.

And of course coop is a strong way to build some base experience and start getting mods. But don't play it exclusively because you won't be getting map knowledge or developing strong enough PvP skills.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

skinny white boy posted:

It's pretty much between this, The Club, Demon's Soul, and Maximo.

Do Demon's Souls because the online servers will go down in a month.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mantle posted:

Late to the party, but I just ordered MGS:HD. Is this as exciting as I hope it's going to be? MGS4 was my first dip into the metal gear universe and while fun, I didn't understand the story at all which is why I wanted to play MGS2 and 3.

By ordering the collection, you get to multiply the number of times you don't understand the story by 3! :D

Seriously, they are some of the most baroque and convoluted stories with wild elements ever and you won't necessarily feel better informed the more games you play.

However, the awesome feeling of the story unfolding is a great thing to have happen even when you don't get what's really happening.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

yellowcar posted:

Speaking of GTA games, how do the side-stories hold up? I see that the Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony are bundled as stand-alones up on PSN and I heard that they're much better than the base game.

I personally didn't like Lost and the Damned. The story seemed pretty tedious and didn't feel up to snuff. I also seem to remember not being impressed by the motorcycles (and I loved the motorcycles in GTA:SA). I recall thinking Gay Tony was much better by comparison. Seemed there was more to do and the story was more engaging.

Compared to the base game, I think the storyline in LatD was worse and I'm a bit fuzzy but I think Gay Tony was generally better.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Harlock posted:

However, I don't really get the same feelings of disconnect that some people do in story driven games. I.e. Drake in Uncharted murdering people without remorse. I feel the bits between the cutscenes is where player interaction comes in and is their version of the character. So if the player wants to kill (or has to kill) the obstacles that stand in his way, that's for their own personal fulfillment and the reward system that goes into playing a game. The cutscenes continue on if you've killed 1 guy or 100 guys with no real change, so I don't think that it plays into the characterization of the character or makes it less believable.

For me, Drake is from the 80s where heroes could kill a hundred guys and it would be just fine. Kind of a Remo Williams/Philippines Indiana Jones knock off. It's really close to the tone those movies had and especially works well with the idea of shooting a guy a couple of times and then punching him in the balls. Post Arnold era action movies were far more grounded and had lower body counts (as well as courting the coveted PG-13 rating).

Also, I found it was pretty easy to get through GTA4 without doing seriously over the top rocket launcher stuff. I went through most of the game with pistols and an M4 and it felt just about right. The game doesn't really present itself as silly as previous GTAs where you could get a chainsaw massacre minigame going so I didn't think it was as jarring as many describe it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rueish posted:

I wouldn't mind another God of War game if it didn't feature Kratos, as I feel like we're pretty much through with him at this point. God of War 2 was the pinnacle of the series but GoW3 still had a lot going for it and I loved it. I just can't imagine playing through ANOTHER game starring Kratos, especially a prequel at that, as his character is pretty one-note.

You're that one guy, aren't you? The guy who liked playing as Raiden in MGS2. You're the one.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Harlock posted:

Every Dead Rising game is great, except for the Wii version. Dead Rising 3 is supposedly in the works too. Capcom's only reliable franchise at this point.

I'm really, really happy to hear this. My first foray into Xbox360 ownership left me with two winners - Dead Rising and Chromehounds. I wasn't happy with anything else and it didn't seem at all like those were getting sequels so I sold it.

Knowing that Dead Rising is thriving is pretty awesome.

Edit: Also, so many MGS Raiden fans. You people are weird. Like smelly kid in class weird.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Surlaw posted:

I'm probably just nuts because I loved this stuff, I want DR3 to have even more timers and more things I have to choose between completing or abandoning.

Yeah, I'm in agreement. One of the reasons Dead Rising captured my heart originally was the realtime pressures put on you, which are exceedingly rare in video games. What I don't like are hard stop "game overs" and I wish you could play with her dead but with an appropriate gameplay/ending change.

One of my favorite moments in DR1 was when I got waylaid by a surprise boss on the way back to a critical case moment and the timer expired and I realized I could still play.

Another great one was having to abandon a survivor for a long, long time while I ran to the office for a case and arriving just in time for her to have a sliver of health and then get killed by zombies. It was great and tragic.

If I had my wish for Dead Rising 3, it would be three parallel scenarios that are nigh impossible to sustain simultaneously until you have access keys/superhuman abilities so that the choices you make are more stark and meaningful until you're truly prepared for a 100% clear playthrough. But I'm not totally rational on gameplay and it might make people hate the game. I don't know.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Shalinor posted:

Is it less.. flat?... than original DR2? Something about Chuck didn't sell the wackiness right, and even though you were wandering around in a banana suit or riding a pink tricycle, it didn't feel right.

I think it's because of the storyline. Frank's story and situation were pretty approachable because everything is a "what the gently caress?" moment for him. Zombies, what the gently caress. And when you run into your first psycho, it's like Frank leans over and goes "did I just see that?" like it is as crazy as it looks and these people are loco. Which in turn makes it great when you dress up because Frank is written as the straight man so he delivers lines among the crazies until you make him crazy.

Chuck's very first scene is to participate in a motorcycle version of grinding that 50k achievement in DR1. It's like Chuck is already one of the psychos that Frank would have been squinting at warily and looking for the exit. And then he has a kid to take care of and the spell is a little bit broken. He starts off pretty much just as crazy as the psychos and then he's super serious and the problem he's facing isn't as easy to brush off as Frank wanting to get the hell out of the madhouse because there's a sick kid. The ingredients aren't quite right.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Get on Demons Souls while you can participate in the ambiance and consider nabbing Ratchet and Clank: ToD. It should be plenty available for cheap and if you like it, Crack in Time is a great sequel.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aardark posted:

Just wondering, why do you people like Red Dead Redemption so much? I tried to appreciate it and even played it all the way to the end, but I have to say, it was ultimately pretty dull, and the gunplay was kinda lovely and way too easy. Is it the setting that you enjoy?

I think it nailed the atmosphere and in general it was a nice way to take GTA gameplay into a setting that made it feel different.

There were a couple of inconsistent character moments (seriously, one character's rape is brushed off like nothing) and the default aiming system made things way too easy but overall it was a game world that was great to exist in. The background events like robberies and animals and really beautiful vistas all were the kind of things that didn't lend themselves to a GTA game.

One thing I found necessary to enjoying the game was Expert aiming mode. Autoaim make the entire thing trivial and the first time I had a shootout on horseback over rolling terrain and could pull off head shots without challenge I changed it from Normal to Expert and had a ton more fun.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Evil Vin posted:

For some reason Ratchet & Clank games make me go crazy and I can't stop playing them even after I beat them. (This weekend I beat Tools of Destruction and immediately started Challenge Mode and pretty much beat it again; something I never do with other games.) Anyways is Quest for Booty actually worth picking up? Like I think I paid $15 bucks for Tools of Destruction off a goon, I don't know if I could really justify paying the same price for a 4 hour game.

I always say no, mostly to prevent the same level of disappointment because I'm just like you.

What Quest for Booty is is very well produced and pretty polished and, for a time, fun.

What it isn't is long or replayable. There's really no Challenge Mode or other secrets to make you go back, which was crushing in disappointment for me because I was just like you and was compelled to keep playing ToD the moment I finished it. And the second playthrough was just as fun because the goalposts got moved in just the right way to make it fun to replay. Quest for Booty just doesn't have that so unless you literally need to see every minute of Ratchet and Clank gameplay ever produced, I would pass. It's not just that it's short, it's that it isn't replayable which is criminal for a series that shines in replayability.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think that includes a trailer for Arkham City. Heard that game was good.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A difficult game can be fun. Sometimes developers design a game from the ground up to be challenging but fair, and give you a sense of accomplishment when you win. Then sometimes they literally crank all the numbers to +500 and call it a day (Uncharted)

It's not even fun anymore on Crushing.

I really disagree with this. Like seriously disagree.

Crushing changes up the AI for the game in a strong way. Enemies are far more apt to use grenades to wedge you out of cover and punish you faster when you fire peeking out of cover. If you play through a fight hiding behind the same cover, you making it way harder for yourself.

Blind fire, always move closer, and brutal combos are key in Crushing. Take cover when the shooting starts and get a sense for where people are. Find the fringe shooters (the ones at the left or right flank) and move from cover to cover to get close to them while keeping cover from the others. Rush from cover and blind fire and finish with a steel fist or brutal combo. If you need to, fire while you move from cover to get early hits in. Uncharted has very generous auto aim while blind firing to help this approach. Use grenades to stagger as well or force them to dodge because they don't shoot while diving for cover so you can get closer.

Really, the hardest way to play Crushing in UC1 is to be pixel hunting from a distance behind the same cover. They lob grenades with abandon, have very accurate fire almost as soon as you get crosshair to target, and the "duck and weave" AI is a real counter to the Gears of War style of hovering a crosshair over the place you know the head will be popping up from. You are in just as much danger being close as being far away because of their accuracy. And most of the distant cover in the game has you being shot successfully from three or four guys at one time.

Embrace blind fire and steel fist and you'll find Crushing is really more fun because of the more mobile enemies. The game is designed around cover, shooting, and melee and even rewards this by giving you bonus ammo for melee kills. You are highly mobile so you should use that.

Of course, you need to keep your head and watch out for Shotguns because those are your nemesis on Crushing because they like it when you get close. But those are what grenades are for to stagger them and take their Shotgun.

Edit: Play like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJR4NpxtlM&feature=related#t=2m43s

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 30, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DangerKat posted:

See, I've found myself often needing to seek much more cover than I did during my Hard playthrough because trying changing cover spots to move up, there is usually some pirate with dead-eye pistol accuracy sitting at the back of the area. I can rarely get a brutal combo in without being taken out by else where or even just firing from the hip and finishing with a punch. Maybe it is just a symptom of Chapters 4 & 5 (I just started Chapter 8) but I'm not able to fight nearly as mobile as I'd like.

If there's a guy at the back, use him as your pace meter if he's being especially problematic. Consider him your cover priority and make sure there are blocks or pillars blocking him from you. Enemies are just as deadly close as at range so anyone who acts like a sniper needs to be countered with it.

As for having enough time to pull off a brutal combo, it's more about reading the field and doing what's possible at the time. I always take cover and just get a sense of where people are so that I can approach safely. If you're in a "rows and rows of short cover" type situations, blind fire at a distance can cause them to duck or otherwise stagger giving you pause for advance or to get in a brutal combo over a guy you've gotten close to. And a grenade is always a good method for giving you time because enemies generally become useless from the moment the grenade is in the air to a few seconds after it detonates. I almost never get grenade kills in UC1 because the enemies are pretty smart about getting out of the way but they never shoot while getting out of the way.

Also, you just need to work on the idea that it takes a lot of risk to get close and that you're going to take a bullet or two. Developing a pace for moving between cover that balances healing while blind firing and seeing the "this is where I can rush this guy" is part of what makes Crushing super fun to play. It's a hell of a lot of improvisation and finding windows or making windows wider. If you get a long distance blind fire hit on a problematic sniper, leap out of cover because he's going to stagger for a couple of seconds.

And abandon any long term relationship with one gun. UC1 has me cycling to picked up weapons constantly because of the low amount of stored ammo (much less than UC2 and UC3). Steel Fist will reward you with bonus ammo but even still you have to live off the land and any bullet in the general direction of the enemy is better than pixel hunting with your last dozen AK rounds.

Edit:

Shalinor posted:

The only part of Uncharted 1 I will outright say is bullshit on Crushing is the water ski segments.

No, those whole sections are a stain on the game in any circumstance. Awful gameplay and spamming grenades at pixels is about all you can do.

Edit: I agree, Plane Wrecked and the Blue Cistern (big blue room) are the two hardest fights in terms of challenge. The former is generally low cover and a mixture of shotgun guys added in. Very challenging but you can use the segments of taller cover to help shield you while you move and position for ambushes on the shotguns. The Blue room is hard because it changes constantly with people up above, extra dudes hopping in, and poor visibility. Many times I never knew where the threat was so I literally ran always and tried to stumble on people I could beat up and then start running again. It is insane but thrilling. Also, blindfire the gently caress out of those assholes on the upper tiers who make life painful.
V V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 30, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

300 should have just stayed a graphic novel. I hope someone who made decisions at Warner Brothers, had a really hard time justifying turning it into a movie. The dollar signs were obviously what pushed it into getting approved. They took the most uncreative, and lazy path they could to adapting it to film.

Not to get too CineD or anything, but it's hard to imagine combining lazy with 300. Especially coming off of the recent trend to grounding everything and making them more accessible (ala successfully de-yellowing and de-spandexing of X-Men to make them more acceptable), making a movie about shirtless homoeroticism is a pretty big gamble considering Sin City didn't break $100 mil and it had stars and directors that people recognized. I can't say I see where you think these dollar signs were going to come from a movie headlined by a hard to recognize Gerard Butler (you know, that guy from Timeline and second fiddle in the second Tomb Raider movie) and a giant gold encrusted RuPaul.

It's not a great movie but I wouldn't call it lazy. It was a better than decent literal translation of a graphic novel and led to us getting Watchmen. That's cool in my book.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

bbcisdabomb posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Burn Notice game. Make it like the new Bond games where stealth is an objective, but just killing the gently caress out of everyone is easier, faster, and more likely to let you succeed at your objective.

The best Burn Notice game would be to take Dead Rising 2's workbench and just explode the hell out of it. Just litter every level with a metric ton of random stuff and a million hidden recipes to put things together with. Then drop Michael at point A and tell him to get to point B.

Oh, and make a bonus mode with a skin change to Fiona where all you get is C4 and a shotgun and every time you shoot a guy an annoyed voice clip of Michael goes "Fiona..:sigh:"

• Locked thread