Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

PS2 logo at the top of the OP, ouch!

Still, cool thread Hansel. Shame about the thread title being changed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I use Firefox and had the same problem as Tamba, but now that you've removed the timg tags they work fine :)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Would rather play MAG then the PS3 version of Battlefield 3. BF3 console version is only 24 players, that's not even worth it. The 64 player count is one of the core Battlefield series, defining features. 24 players just makes it a slightly upgraded version of Bad Company 2.

Bad Company 2 was hella fun on consoles. Not as good as the PC version obviously but that just depressed me with how many freakin' snipers there were everywhere. I prefer playing with complete idiots on consoles since it's generally less frustrating :ohdear:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, while I prefer the console Battlefield games ISCI has a very valid point, and the larger playercount in the PC version will make a huge difference to the gameplay. Now I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's not worth it since even Bad Company 2 on consoles was amazing fun, he isn't wrong in stating that the large playercounts are a significant part of what makes Battlefield what it is.

I mean take those promo videos for BF3 right, where you see a whole convoy of vehicles rolling into battle with helicopter support, ground troops and a squadron of fighters overhead? You're not gonna get that in the console versions because there won't be enough players, and there won't be enough vehicles either. The dynamics of gameplay and actual battles will be vastly different between the two versions.

Aphrodite posted:

You're also restricted from 3/4 of the other players for most of a round in MAG.

MAG is more like 4 games glued together than a true 256 person game.

You're not actually. Times I've been stuck on a godawful squad I've wandered over to the complete opposite side of the map to help the guys over there out instead. It took me quite a long time to walk there but they don't cheat with MAG at all. I mean heck, look up the 128 player stampede if you think they segment players apart :v:

Edit: Nevermind I misunderstood your point. Whoops.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Jose posted:

On the current topic, what PS3 exclusives are there that I didn't mention in my earlier post I should get? MGS4 is the only one I can think of at the minute. Anything not shown in the OP

Well there's this game called Demon's Souls...

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so somewhat surprisingly it appears that Resistance 3 is actually a really good game? The review embargo seems to have been lifted today with a whole bunch of good scoring reviews appearing, as well as a video review from GameTrailers that actually makes the game look mindblowingly awesome:

GameTrailers video review

I honestly don't know what to make of it really. The singleplayer looks downright fantastic (as does the co-op) and as well as looking incredibly fun, it looks really impressive when it comes to the graphics too. My reservations are solely with the multiplayer though, which I enjoyed gameplay-wise but despised when it came to the choppy framerate and poor visuals. Seeing multiplayer footage of the retail build seems to suggest everything runs smoothly now but I'm still unsure personally.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

This pretty much sums up House of the Dead Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUSSFzRZGY

My dick's on fire :mmmhmm:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

...! posted:

Eh, I won't financially support any game that uses some variant of "Project Ten Dolla."

Yeah that cheeses me off too. I'm one of those people that's used to letting friends borrow games and vice versa to see what they're like, especially regarding the multiplayer of final releases. That's a big reason why SOCOM 4 is so popular amongst all my friends, once everybody had a chance to play the game we all bought it as fast as possible.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Honestly, Crysis 2 is absolute garbage in comparison to the first game. I hope they bring Warhead to consoles as well :D

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Palleon posted:

I liked the first part of it, then halfway through the game everything radically changes and I gave up on it because I wasn't having fun with it anymore.

Swimming around in "zero gravity" with no ammo anywhere so having to punch a bunch of mermaids to death through a giant maze is not my idea of a fun time

You really missed out then, since that was a small part of a big game and there were some absolutely fantastic levels after that. Besides, the part you mention was incredibly short. I know it features one room where it can take a while to find the exit (I think most people got stuck here for a little while) but all in all, it really was a very small part of the game and what came afterwards was awesome.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Counterpoint: Ninja Gaiden 2 was a steaming pile of poo poo that was only made decent after Itagaki left and Team Ninja could fix the game.

Counterpoint 2: Ninja Gaiden Sigma was also a nice improvement over NG/Black.

Counterpoint 3: The new game that Itagaki's studio is making looks freakin' awful. It's WET 2.

So in conclusion, the best Ninja Gaiden games are the ones without Itagaki's involvement and when left to his own devices he makes turds. It's also worth noting that Ninja Gaiden 3 looks pretty sweet :D

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

DAYTOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAA!

Daytona USA coming to PSN and XBLA. Thank you, Jesus.

Why couldn't they bring Daytona USA 2? Or Scud Race? Two games that won't look like poo poo and be much more fun. Likewise, why don't they bring Power Stone 2 to these services too? Get with the freakin' plan Sega.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So I played the multiplayer in the retail version of Resistance 3 and can confirm that it still has a very poor framerate and other issues that plagued the beta for the game.

I haven't touched the singleplayer yet but the abysmal performance of the multiplayer is a real shame because honestly? The multiplayer gameplay itself is actually really fun. They've basically taken the Modern Warfare approach of sticking in as much overpowered broken poo poo as possible which results in absolute chaos and anarchy and well, it's fun :shobon:

Really, gunfights in Resistance 3's multiplayer are absolutely batshit insane and it's awesome. I just wish the framerate was stable :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

If i rent resistance 3 to play co op with a friend will it work since it has a code? or is the code only required for competitive mp

If you want to play co-op they require that both players have an online pass I think.

Still, I'm chuffed that the game will have free DLC but I'm pissed that the framerate in multiplayer is so awful. It's not like it even looks that good either so I don't know why it runs so poo poo.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Given the singleplayer in Resistance 3 a whirl and so far it's absolutely fantastic :)

Also I can see why the multiplayer is so unbalanced now! I just had a peek at the unlocks menu and once you're a high enough rank you can purchase all the super weapons as default primary loadouts. I was wondering why this one guy was just running around with a shield and an atomizer :aaa:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I really disliked the UC3 beta at the start because some core gameplay mechanics had changed from what I knew and loved with UC2's multiplayer. By the end of the beta though I was absolutely loving everything about it and I have no doubts that Uncharted 3 will have an excellent multiplayer component that will be popular for a very long time. As it stands right now, Uncharted 3 is my most anticipated release of this year, and that's solely because of the multiplayer portion of the game.

Twisted Metal will obviously be the best multiplayer game of 2012 :3:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I hope the HD rereleases aren't seperate games for PS+ subscribers only because all I want is MGS3 and SOTC :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

The multi-player I have no interest in because it's probably like Bioshock 2's where late comers will always have less toys to play with

This is true BUT reading your reasons for loving the singleplayer (the weapons and the chaos) I can safely say that you would enjoy the multiplayer because it's batshit insane.

Put it this way, all the weapons from the singleplayer campaign are available in multiplayer, along with a bunch of other toys and gizmos.

It's also worth noting that Resistance 3 will be getting free DLC next month in the form of two new multiplayer maps! There will also be paid DLC in the form of a new gametype called Invasion which I am really hoping is like Zombies/Horde from COD/Gears of War.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It's really depressing that a lovely game such as WKC can spark so much conversation but a game like Resistance 3 pretty much gets no attention at all :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Harlock posted:

That franchise's future is just as barren and desolate as the America it portrays.

Resistance 3 is a really good game. It's a tragedy that the series will probably end with this game (save for PSP spinoffs) but it has an absolutely fantastic singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer is batshit insane (whether this is a good thing or not depends on the player).

Since Sony has handed off development of the Vita game to one of their London studios (I think?) I'm hopeful that they'll let somebody else tackle Resistance 4 sometime. Either that or once Insomniac's new IP for EA falls flat on its face they come back to Sony in the hopes they can work on a big title with some marketing weight behind it once more :3:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so I've stuck with the multiplayer in Resistance 3 and my conclusion is that the game seriously freakin' owns holy poo poo. It's definitely not for everyone and I'm also somebody who really loves SOCOM 4 as well (so take my opinion as you will :shobon:) but I'm really glad that I bought this game now. Put it this way, I recently got Gears of War 3 and keep going back to play more Resistance instead.

If the rumours are true about Insomniac releasing some kinda horde-ish survival online co-op mode as DLC then GOTY :3:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I just got Gears 3 this week... Killzone 2 still looks better :cool:

I'll be starting up Killzone 3 tonight.

Killzone 3 is gonna blow your freakin' tits off, it's an absolutely incredible looking game. Shame the multiplayer isn't as good as KZ2 (primarily due to balance issues) but the tech is quite frankly amazing. They have so many great ideas, weapons, vehicles and gameplay mechanics in the series that I'm confident Killzone 4 will be one of the best shooters of this console generation if Guerilla Games learn from their mistakes(and uh, actually make it).

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Over here in the UK at least, Child of Eden is releasing as a cheaper-than-budget title for £15.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just started playing Infamous 1 and this poo poo feels like a goddamn tech demo. Choppy fps, sliding all over the place at times, awful animations, etc

You download your PS3 games and play them on a PS3 running CFW don't you? That might be why you're getting a bad framerate and stuff since I don't recall the game having those issues back when I played the retail version.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Chard posted:

I think DS2 may have been a better game in many ways, but for me at least DS1 was a better experience.

I haven't played DS2 but I really didn't enjoy the end of the original Dead Space at all. Once you got down onto the planet it became really unfun terribly fast. There was just something off about that game for me anyways though. I mean, I really enjoyed the game at the start but the more I played the less enjoyable it was. I can't quite put my finger on why however.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so I've been playing some of the Uncharted 3 multiplayer via that early access thing and yeah, game of the year right there.

Why did I waste money on Gears of War 3 and an XBL renewal :negative:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

If they put Killer 7 up on the PSN store I will be so freakin' happy :3:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dominic White posted:

That only works on the assumption that this is an either/or thing. If they've got a working software emulator, there's nothing stopping them from letting people with disc copies play via it, and then selling cheaper digital versions for those without the games, or those who want to replace physical with digital media.

You have a point but there is a very good chance that they're actually having to get each game up and running individually with specific optimizations for each game to get them running solely via software emulation. Just because a few games are going up doesn't guarantee that they have something that can run everything you know? It might be a similar situation to the Xbox 360's backwards compatability where they've only got limited titles running and they need to be worked on individually to get proper compatability.

Still, we can only wildly speculate right now but I do share the frustration that if they do have a proper solution then they should let people play their own PS2 games rather than having to rebuy them.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. FIFA 12 - 52 countries
2. Call of Duty Black Ops - 52 countries
3. FIFA 11 - 36 countries
4. Gran Turismo 5 - 35 countries

I'm glad to see that nearly a year on GT5 is still one of the most popular online games on the PS3, it really is such a freakin' good game in so many ways. I love how they keep updating it all the time too and going back to try and play something as inferior as Forza is downright painful in comparison. I can't wait to see what the Spec 2 update and DLC release this month contains :)

I'm also hoping that when Uncharted 3 launches the game skyrockets into the top 5 of the PSN too. The early access multiplayer is fantastic :swoon:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I prefered Bad Company 2 on console rather than PC just because the PC version was so full of snipers which I personally find quite annoying, so I ended up having much more fun with the game on PS3.

Regarding Battlefield 3 though, I found the beta really underwhelming and hated the map that they used. I'll probably give the game a pass and wait for Bad Company 3 :shobon:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Can you guys tell me how the maps in the retail game are different? The things I disliked about the beta were:

-The outside area was quite flat and too open in my opinion, which didn't really make for a fun experience to me. I liked how dense levels were in Bad Company 2 and being presented with the opposite kind of level design in the beta was really disappointing.

-The inside areas were essentially long corridoors, which I also found really unfun since gameplay would devolve into a war of attrition since flanking opportunities were either minimal or non-existant.

Comparatively, I can't think of a map in Bad Company 2 which I didn't find to be really fun to fight on. This is something that turned me off Modern Warfare 3 as well, since I thought the level design in Black Ops was superb but seeing videos of people playing MW3 where it's essentially narrow corridoors that will promote camping really puts me off.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

A new God of War game would be fantastic. God of War 3 is easily one of the highlights of this console generation for me and to have another game would be awesome.

As for a Smash Bros clone with Sony characters? I've wanted a game like that for ages, especially since Sony has such a huge roster of characters that they could choose from, and if they went the LBP route by allowing people to make their own arenas it would be so fun. I suspect it's absolute bullshit considering the site that's reporting the news, but I really hope I'm wrong.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Sony doesn't have enough cartoony or realistic guys to pull it off, I think. It has to be one or the other. Mixing both would just be weird.

I don't think it would be weird at all personally, especially since the Marvel vs Capcom games (and Tatsunako vs Capcom) pull off realistic with cartoony absolutely fine. I mean they have characters like Chris Redfield and Dante taking on characters from Megaman and Okami, and it works fine. All it requires is a good, consistent art style and acknowledging the fun, wacky nature of it.

I mean heck, if Capcom can put out a game where Ryu and the guy from Dead Rising punch the crap out of one of the mechs from Lost Planet, then I'm sure Sony could handle Kratos going apeshit against Metal Gear, Cole and Ratchet :D

Edit: If they do make this they'd obviously have to have one of the creatures from Shadows of the Collosus too :v:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's not Kratos and Cole who would be weird, it's generic military guys like Hale and the guy from Killzone nobody can name.

Well I like to think that if Sony brought characters over from those two franchises they'd give us something interesting like a Chimera and Helghast character (maybe Radec?) rather than the heroes. They could then include weapons from the franchises as pickups (mutator from Resistance, disco ball from Ratchet and Clank etc) and just have some fun with it :shobon:

Edit: Policenaut get out of my head.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I know this is going to sound like a dumb thing to bring up, but why would they al be fighting in the first place?

I dunno, Kevin Butler had an awesome idea? He could be the end boss.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Aren't Bethesda RPGs always full of bugs and prone to crashing/freezing when they're released? I'll never understand why people don't just wait a few months for the price to drop and the games to actually work properly.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah Kingdom Under Fire 2 looks amazing but I'm trying not to get too excited because it simply has to run like rear end on consoles right? Secondly while I know they said it will come to PS3 I'm still kinda doubtful whether it actually will.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Resistance 3 is having a 5x XP event this weekend. They've also added 2 new maps to the multiplayer component for free :)

I know everyone is no doubt busy with the all the other big shooters but I still think Resistance 3 is a great online game and if you have a copy laying around, hop online this weekend :D

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Regarding the aiming controls in Uncharted 3, there's definitely something wrong with them but at the same time I also think some people vastly exaggerated just how bad they actually are. Speaking personally at least, they in no way interfered with my ability to aim or get headshots, they were just weird is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Now that I and most players in Resistance 3 are high level and have unlocked the majority of weapons and abilities, I've gotta say that the multiplayer really is hilariously chaotic fun. The gunfights are absolutely batshit insane and it's awesome arcadey fun.

If anybody here bought the game for the singleplayer and has the game just sitting on their shelf collecting dust, do yourself a favour and boot up the multiplayer right now. They have 5x XP this weekend, and the most recent patch added two new maps for free (as well as making the framerate smooth as silk).

I think that this game and SOCOM 4 are my surprise hits of the year personally, both are two vastly underappreciated games that I just cannot get enough of online :3:

• Locked thread