Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Saboteur is really pissing me off right now. No matter what I do, I can't complete the first race mission, which is a time trial race. The fastest car I had was the Altair, which didn't work, so I started hunting around for other cars. I found the Silver Bullet, which is some sorta Nazi trophy car, and that didn't work.

Then I went suuuuuper out of my way to try and get back to the old farm to see if maybe the Aurora was out there, but I couldn't find it and instead found the race track and a handful of race cars, so I took the Beta Romero 12c all the way back and THAT'S not working either.

I need to get from start to finish in under 1:20, but I'm always 10-20 seconds slow. I can't figure out how to get any faster and I can't find any other cars unless I go all the way back to the edge of the map and try the other 3 racers from the track (but they all seemed similar in speed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Without spoiling too much, there is an event in one of the main quests that will give you back the Aurora. After that, use it to win the races. If you're still losing, hug the sides so the other cars will crash into walls or obstacle.

How much better is the Aurora then? And are there no other options to do this mission? It's kinda weird they would give me it so early and I'd have nothing available to complete it with, if that's the case.

Also this first race thingy isn't against opponents. It's just "Get to this point within this time."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Polite Tim posted:

The races are also incredibly loving easy, probably easiest part of the game, though one of the racing story missions does apparently have a bug in it where an important npc keeps getting run over, but that never happened to me so i guess there's a way around it

It's just this VERY FIRST racing mission, which is a time trial. I don't have to beat anything but the clock, and the bottom line is I have no car that's fast enough. The actual races against opponents probably are easy enough to handle, but this particular situation cannot be overcome because I lack the necessary equipment to complete the task.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The (non-racing) vehicles in The Saboteur sure do handled like drunken hippopotamuses. Is that historically accurate or something?

Probably. Half the cars are land boats, but there are ones that handle alright and have decent speed. They are usually Nazi vechicles (don't drive them unless you're disguised), but the sleeker luxury cars usually fall under that category too.

You kind of learn to not play Saboteur like a GTA game where you jack any car on the street and tear rear end through the city. You know the car you want to drive, and you know how to get it, and then you know how to drive it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

There's a goon in this thread playing The Saboteur, stuck on the time trial.

I'm not stuck on it anymore. I got the Aurora, and I finally managed to beat it with less than a second to spare. Someone should put up a video or something because I have no idea why it's so easy for you guys and why it was so difficult for me.

Now I keep having problems with my game freezing. It's happened three times during story missions. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Changing the game difficulty gives you more time in that trial.

Well that explains a lot.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Not really. When I beat the time trial in the Dugatti yesterday, I was on the hardest difficulty level. :smug: I honestly don't know what to say, normally I'm terrible at racing games. Only when it's a sandbox game do I suddenly gain any sort of skill whatsoever.

I guess it's all a moot point now since I beat it, but I still wonder what I was doing so wrong to make it so much more difficult on my self. I was doing my absolute best. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I think I'm giving up on Saboteur. It was fun for a while, but now it's turned into some serious bullshit combined with some serious bugs.

I'm on this one mission that's annoyingly long, and now I'm in the part where I'm riding in the gunner turret of a truck that's being driven by the worst AI while being chased by a shitload of nazis, and I have to shoot them and prevent he truck from being blown up. Will, the bullet spread is annoying large, the truck swerves all over the place so I can't keep my sights on the enemy vehicles, and the damage being dealt to the truck is absurd (probably on account of the difficulty setting). I can't beat it.

To top it off, an NPC is apparently located nearby all this carnage and is sometimes getting killed by the nazis, which instantly fails the mission for me. There's nothing I can do to stop them or anything since I'm on rails and I can't even see him or anything. It's just "THIS GUY DIED YOU FAILED" which is loving great.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danthrax posted:

Dead Island would be cool if it actually saved my progress each time I played. Last time I played I got up to level 11, tonight I resume my game and I'm back at level 7 and all the quests I had done during the last session were marked as new/unfinished. I don't know how that happened since I saw the saving icon several times, along with a "Game Saved" message after finishing quests. So that's pretty annoying and I'm going to sell it tomorrow.

You can't sell it! Sure, the game debuted with a thoughtful and interesting trailer that in no way represented that it would be a generic FPS zombie Left 4 Dead clone, and sure it had a disasterous release due to being a horrible buggy mess, but... If you sell it now, then you won't be able to buy the DLC coming out later this month!

Good old DLC. What did we ever do before you became standard for all games? :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo. There is a God!

It seemed like a given that it was going to get a localization, but it's nice to get a confirmation and to find out they've been working on it for a while now.

Also promising, there was some "If" talk about Yakuza: Of The End coming to the west, with hypothetical talk about reworking the controls for western audiences. So it seems they've been thinking about its localization, even if they still haven't confirmed anything yet.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finished Sean Devlin Throws Like a Girl (aka The Saboteur), and it was pretty alright. A couple parts were really annoying, like the part I previously bitched about with the driving and the gunner turret, and then a part where Nazis would go on full alert instantly if I did even the slightest thing suspicious, and so on. But overall, it was pretty enjoyable.

The end seemed a bit rushed though, and there were a few things that seemed as if they weren't resolved, either because they wanted to do a sequel or they just ran out of time to finish the game. Things like the deal with the super-secret item Sean recovered for Bishop, the hot Nazi chick that shows up in loading screens and appeared, like, twice in the game, Santos selling you out to the Nazis and some more.

Also it was weird how there were areas that you pretty much ignored for the story, and never set up a convenient headquarters nearby for. I kept expecting to get a base and reclaim Saarbrucken, but that didn't happen, so I had to keep sneaking into that area and doing the missions there, and if I hosed up and died, I had to restart halfway across the map.

Now to figure out what I'll play next.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
That pricing seems really interesting and tempting, but there's still one big problem with the whole thing; It's DC Universe Online.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The next God of War game should be some hero going to save the world from Kratos.

I'm delighted by the idea that the fight against Kratos results in your defeat (naturally), and you engage in a quicktime event to successfully have your character slaughtered.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

bat duck posted:

I wish all developers would ruin my game for me after I just bought it from them.

If you're playing the game before it's actually out, then them griefing you is the nicest thing they could be doing about it since you either broke street date or pirated it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting up inFamous 2, and I was wondering 2 things.

1) Like the first game, is the best way to play it Good/Normal, then Bad/Hard?
2) How worth it is it to get the sniper shot and the stalker grenades DLC?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GUI posted:

Go Good/Hard because you get some overpowered ability that allows you to rapid-fire bolts.
Either way, I played Evil/Hard the first time around and didn't have much trouble. It's not a hard game by any means, so you won't need any DLC.

Good/Hard it is.

And it's not a matter of NEEDING the powers as it is wondering if they're worth getting. As in, are they fun or useful, or will I end up forgetting they're even there at all like I did with the blades in the first game?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Would I be alone in saying Super Stardust HD is a pretty frustrating game, and not in a fun way? The trophies are bullshit and the game has too much poo poo going on that you can't follow it all and holy gently caress does it tire my eyes out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think I might have double-bought when it comes to inFamous 2's DLC.

The Hero Edition only said it included 2 additional powers, as well as one Cole skin and one Amp skin. The store has an additional 2 powers, 2 Cole skins, and 3 Amp skins available for a price.

When I put in my code, I got two Cole skins, but everything else was the same, so I bought the extra 2 powers. But after starting up the game, I have all the extra skins available to me, so now I'm wondering if I would have had those extra powers too and I didn't have to buy them.

It's only $2 in the end, but just something to be aware of if anyone else ends up in the same situation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Because the alternate result is limiting developers to releasing only a set amount of DLC as long as it doesn't go above (x) cost where (x) is the current price of the game?

Failing to see the problem with this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It seems pretty stupid to say "I want developers supporting the game, but not TOO much."

Why? I think developers need to find an appropriate balance when it comes to handling additional content for their games, and it's something that many companies are still doing very poorly.

I think you're saying something a little different than I'm saying, when it comes to "how much DLC is TOO much DLC." Continued support for a game with new content over time is one thing, but then you have situations that are certainly more underhanded and frustrating for the consumer, and that's where I'm chiming in with saying they need to get sorted out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Jak and Daxter HD Collection got listed by some South African online retailer

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/01/jak...m_content=games

far from confirmed but :hellyeah:

Hooray, a passable Mario 64 clone and two (three?) of the worst games of the last console generation. Now with trophies!

And you just know those trophies WILL include ones for getting all the precursor orbs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

I never really had any trouble with the controls in SotC at all. The horse controls like a horse, not vehicle. He doesn't like to do things that will hurt it. You can't just force the horse to do things. He is your partner in the game, not a tool. I can see why people would have trouble with this but once you except it, it makes alot of sense.

Shadow of the Colossus: Agro is smarter than most gamers.

It can be a little difficult dealing with Agro at first, simply because you don't expect a game to be as thoughtful as it is. And it really is deliberate, because once it clicks, you loving love riding that horse and doing tricks with him and riding around that big empty world with your horse buddy. You basically build a relationship between Wander and Agro (and yourself) without there being any kind of game mechanic behind it.

And if that's not happening, then you shouldn't be playing video games. None of them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder how they choose these PS2 games, and if there'd ever be a chance of them putting up games that were only released in one region but not in another, meaning they came out in America, but not Europe and vice versa.

What I'm saying is I want to play Gregory Horror Show on my PS3.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

archaic HD remakes with no effort paid to fixing something as simple as controls just don't vie well for my time.

The controls don't need fixing. Hope this helps.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sentrygun posted:

Instead of people complaining back and forth about if SotC needs improved controls, can we just agree that it's not a game for everyone?

Not every game is for everyone, despite how much I would love for my favorite games to be loved by everyone. So yeah, I agree with this.

If a person doesn't want to learn the game and take on the challenge, then fine. But to dismiss it as having bad controls is just passing off their own disinterest in an incorrect statement, which is the problem.

Edit: Keep in mind none of this applies to my ongoing belief that people liking the Uncharted games is just an elaborate troll.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 4, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

And SIREN. Preferably both SIREN 1 and 2.

Please :( Team SIREN is never going to make 3!

Did Siren 2 get an English release in Europe that I wasn't aware of?

I fully support rereleasing those games though and making more of them, even though I won't play them because they terrify me. They are the scariest most tense games ever.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool beans. Unless they did another dreadful British dubbing, in which case I would rather they did HD rereleases of Siren 1 and 2 with the original Japanese audio.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Welp, Sony has just stated that all future first-party games with a multiplayer component will have an implementation of Online Pass, including Uncharted 3. Since I refuse to support this with my money, I guess I'll be purchasing Skyrim instead of Uncharted 3. I'll rent Uncharted 3 for the single player and pass on the multiplayer.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this something to be so displeased about? It seems like a perfectly reasonable and inoffensive idea.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I beat inFamous 2. Got all the dead drops and blast shards, purchased all the powers and upgrades (a bitch to do on Hard difficulty), and did all the side missions.

Why is it saying I only have 95% completion?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Classes in Demon's Souls don't mean poo poo. They just determine your starting stats, which will very quickly be changed by you spending souls to upgrade yourself.

But if you're REALLY not enjoying your starting setup, then yeah, you could start over with a different build. Just know that as soon as you can upgrade your stats, everyone is the same.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Is magic essential in Demon's Souls?

Not essential, no, but you'll probably find it useful against certain enemies where close-range tactics are borderline suicide or their physical defense is really high. You can also consider a bow (always have a bow) to fulfill your ranged attack needs, and a melee weapon that deals magic damage if you really don't want to deal with using spells.

That said, the majority of enemies in the game have very low magic defense. Pumping points into your magic stat and using a magic damage weapon and/or magic spells can pretty much break the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You get to buy stat points after you beat the first boss. You can't sell items. And the "annoying glowy effect" is probably Soul Form. It only goes away if you're restored, which happens after killing a boss or using a certain item, but returns after dying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Put simply, there just wasn't anything else out at the time like ICO.

This sadly remains true, as nothing like ICO ever came out afterwards either. :sigh:

Seriously, the only thing close to ICO? ICO on the PS3.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think that was more in reference to the atmosphere than the gameplay.

Atmosphere, thoughtful, logical evironmental puzzles, very light on combat (which in itself was a puzzle).

Also I'd sooner die by choking on my own rear end in a top hat than play Prince of Persia.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh come now, the others may be iffy but Sands of Time is wonderful.

I played the demo. It was horrible, and I never ever want to touch it or any other Ubisoft game as long as I live.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly sounds to me more like you dislike the company then anything having to do with the game itself. PoP was nowhere near horrible unless you have some specific grudge against the developers.

It's just the way I worded it. I've tried many other Ubisoft games, and I've had problems with each one, so I've stopped giving them a chance.

So yeah, I dislike the company, but it's a justified dislike, because I think their games are terrible.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Ah, time for some more Demon's Souls. Now would I like to die repeatedly to a giant spider, or an armoured giant with a 35 foot high shield? Decisions decisions ...

Tower Knight's patterns are easy to familiarize yourself with and handle with brute melee, or you can just go with arrows to the head. Armored Spider is a bit more a pain, so maybe you want to hold off on that until you explore some of the other areas and build up your character a bit.

I started LA Noire today. I noticed right away that you could turn off all these cues to make the game more difficult, so I immediately did that. I don't need any music or chimes or vibrations to tell me to do my detective work. :colbert:

I have a feeling I will regret this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I'm confused over LA Noire. Are all the cases disconnected from one another?

I was doing the first mission, and I got the this guy's apartment, and I was supposed to search it for clues. The first thing I found was some book that had names in it and it had a name that I guess was important, and my partner said to call it in. And that was the end? Like, it just stopped?

Then it was cutscenes of his past I guess? And then there was a brief mission with shooting? And then some more cutscenes? And then another brief mission where I chased some guy? And then more cutscenes? And then a murder case that had nothing to do with the first one.

So what the hell happened? Did I screw up that first case? Do I go back to it or something?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think you're still a beat-cop, which would really just be the tutorial missions, which are just you doing whatever at the moment. Keep going and in a few missions, you will be promoted and you'll start doing cases that actually have an effect on the story and are definitely not disconnected. It's a good game. :)

So that first mission was supposed to end abruptly like that? And then things are supposed to jump around like that for a bit? It's just all very confusing because I don't know if I'm doing good or not.

I did this second murder case now, and THAT ended with a checklist thingy, and all the things got checked off. So not only did that have a definite end, but I guess I did good. But nothing before that was supposed to have a checklist thingy, right?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Not to tell you how to play, man, but really, chill.

I was just really confused was all. I thought I was in the middle of a story and then all of a sudden it ended. Now I know it was supposed to, and those little mini-missions were just like "This is Phelps doing some stuff that leads to him becoming a detective."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
LA Noire is now a bit more cohesive and I'm enjoying it OK. Sometimes, it feels like I'm thinking more than the game is (or the developers were) though.

In The Consul's Car, I (as in the player) wanted to find a clue about the broken window, because there was broken glass on the ground and on the seat where the car was found. So the situation, to me, looked like the car might not have been stolen, but was meant to look like it was stolen. I then proceeded to try and fail repeatedly to get Phelps to actually detect this clue I thought was so vital.

In A Marriage Made In Heaven, I did good in finding a bloody knife in the garbage, suggesting the guy was injured prior to the hit-and-run. Of course, you'd think a stabbing that leaves a knife drenched in blood would also leave some blood around that wasn't in keeping with the hit-and-run impact, so I kept wandering around looking for more blood. There was none. You later find out he was stabbed in the heart, so I think I was right to be looking for more blood.

By the way I'm not the only one who totally hears Bob Saget as Phelps, right? I know it's not him (supposedly), but I can't not hear his voice as Bob Saget. That makes the game better.

• Locked thread