Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I question getting inFamous 2 as a prize in a contest where you need inFamous 2 to enter it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just finished the Homocide desk in LA Noire, so I went back and read the spoilers and discussion about that part now.

I didn't find it as annoying as people said it was. All the suspects I arrested, I had sufficient evidence to feel they were responsible for the murders. All the similarities between the crimes and the taunting messages and so forth, I thought might lead to a bigger conspiracy or something, but didn't necessarily mean I was arresting innocent people.

I honestly did not think "OK, there's someone else who is REALLY the killer in all these crimes, framing all these other seemingly-guilty people, and then I'm actually going to hunt down the Black Dahlia killer" until pretty darn late in the story. I didn't feel cheated or find it demeaning to have it happen either.

The only thing I found strange was that I charged one guy for one of the murders, and later on they still suggested I charged that guy, but then later on, it seemed like they were suggesting the other guy was charged instead.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just beat LA Noire. God drat, once it all came together, it was really amazing and the story was really good.

I'm confused about one of the trophies though. Killing people using every weapon in the game. Did I need to kill someone using the flamethrower? Because if so, there was never an opportunity to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't it. No idea what guns I'm missing.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 22, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Overlord K posted:

I don't know what other guns you might have missed, but the one that I missed which threw me for a loop was the handgun you get at the start of the game when you're a beat cop. I think your only chance to use it is during the bank robbery in the intro stuff, and you have to purposefully ditch the shotgun to use it.

That was the one.

Now I just have a few odds and ends to finish up if I want plat, and then consider getting the DLC later one when/if it drops in price after they released the collected edition disc.

I never saw a single gold film reel the entire time I played through the game, so I'm gonna have to use a map to find them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, no wonder I never found a single film reel in LA Noire during my regular play. They're all in out-out-the-way locations that you'd never visit and require you to go out on foot, which is something you don't really do much of.

It's like a whole different game with whole new places to check out all of a sudden.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Two questions about LA Noire:

1) How good is the DLC?
2) Does the season pass still work?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind having a few more interesting cases to go through, but at the same time, it's not like each case was very long as anything. So buying 4 more cases is, like, an hour or two of gameplay probably? Or are they bigger and more challenging?

And while the season pass (if it still works) is cheaper, $12 is still a bit expensive for everything. That's almost as much as I paid for the whole game. :/

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

the truth posted:

GTA V trailer is coming next Wednesday.

http://www.rockstargames.com/

I still haven't even played GTA IV.

I bought it the day it came out. :(

I also have Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories to play. Rockstar, can you wait another year or two please?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

eightysixed posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one :(

I wanted the special edition of the game, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it on release. But before I play it, I want to go through Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and San Andreas (have all three and haven't beat them) because I know I won't be able to go back to them after the advancements made in GTAIV.

I just keep getting held up by all the other games in my backlog and the odd new game I purchase.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can't get enough sports games and first person shooters. We must have all the sports games and first person shooters.

Nobody should make anything but sports games and first person shooters. gently caress, just combine the two genres and cause a bro overload. A broverload.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not FPSs but what ever happened to games like Mutant League Football that combined sports with senseless violence? Now seems like a good time to bring that back.

We're not allowed to have fun games anymore.

Hell, if Mario had never existed, trying to pitch the idea now would be completely poo poo all over and probably wouldn't even make it to the development stage, except as an indie game on Steam.

gently caress, you know what I want? A new Monster Party. Balls-to-the-wall ridiculous action with a grown-up Mark teaming up again with Bert the demon to wail away on loving tempura and dancing zombies with his trusty baseball bat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
In God of War 4, Kratos unleashes his rage on... um... Aristaeus, god of cheese-making?

Or maybe he just heads over to Dionysus' place and enjoys a drunken orgy or two.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

Zeus isn't the most powerful being in ancient Greek mythos. For example, there is Uranus, the god of the sky and basically father to almost everyone else. There are still creatures bigger and stronger than Titans, such as the Hecatonchires. But, you're really getting outside of the characters people know from that mythos, though.

So you're saying you DON'T want to see him face off against Aristaeus, god of cheese-making. :/

Did I mention he's also the god of bee-keeping?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

RandolphCarter posted:

I rented LA Noire, and was wondering if they fixed that whole making PS3s overheat and die thing?

I believe so. I played through the game last month without any problems whatsoever.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I might have missed it amidst the talk about how Skyrim sucks and MGS5 doesn't need to be made, but it looks like THQ did something genuinely nice for the PS3 version of Saint's Row 3.

I guess that version was supposed to have exclusive content, but it never happened. So what they ended up doing is, when you redeem your online pass, you'll be able to download a full copy of Saint's Row 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baggot posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/21/jak-and-daxter-collection-coming-to-ps3-with-hd-3d-trophies/

Jak & Daxter HD Collection is coming in February. Not much of a surprise considering it was telegraphed heavily by retailer leaks etc. I'm looking forward to it since I never played them on PS2 and I've only become a big fan of Naughty Dog this generation thanks to Uncharted.

I can't wait to see the posts from people playing these games for the first time, or from people who forgot how bad they were. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ghostinmyshell posted:

Picked up LA Noire tonight cheap used, included DLC codes dont work obviously. I think there's an all in one pass for $10 but not sure if that's everything. Is any of the DLC worth picking up?

Mainly, the DLC is for extra cases, and I guess you also get some extra suits that give you things like more ammo or let you take more damage.

I'd get into the game a fair bit and see if you feel like you want more of it in the form of a few extra cases (The suits with bonus abilities are a non-issue). It should also be noted that a "complete" edition of the game is coming out soon, so the prices of the DLC might be dropping.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe Namco/Bandai read my post about how there should be a reboot of Monster Party and realized how great an idea that is and I'm not even joking when I say a new Monster Party game would kick rear end.

But I don't care too much to speculate since we'll all find out anyway come December 11th.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know offhand how big the Starhawk Beta download is?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone know offhand how big the Starhawk Beta download is?

Anyone? I don't know if I'll have enough hard drive space for it and I don't want to waste the code.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

the truth posted:

FW 4.0 is out.

Sweet. That means we all have Playstation 4's now right?

Edit: Since I never got an answer, I redeemed my Starhawk code. Initial download is 1301MB, and it seems like the install maintains that same size.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 30, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So after further Lords of Shadows opinions, I went ahead and got the PSN version of Symphony of Night. It's still such a great game and doesn't feel aged at all :swoon: thanks for saving me 30 bucks folks!

SotN doesn't feel aged at all, mainly because all the Castlevania games in that style to come after it are just lesser versions of the same thing. It's a huge game that looks good, sounds good, and plays good.

Konami really needs to get their poo poo together and make a true successor to that game. None of this SotN-lite crap on handhelds or lame multiplayer cashgrabs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hatter106 posted:

SotN has great gameplay, but after growing up on the first three Castlevanias, I just can't get used to the Metroidvania level style. It's too claustrophobic and the constant backtracking just irritates me.

As for current-gen Castlevania games, well, I have Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

The backtracking really isn't that bad in SotN unless you have some kind of function disorder. The layout in that game is phenominal.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

All of you unworthy gently caress-badgers who got into Starhawk and haven't said anything about how fun it is or isn't are a disgrace.

gently caress you, you gently caress-sandwiches.

ME... if someone had given ME a code... I would be letting everyone know how good, bad, broken, whatever it is.

BECAUSE SOME OF US WANT TO loving KNOW, OK?!

:)

It's under an NDA. We're not allowed to talk about it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I guaran-drat-tee you're allowed to talk about how much fun you are or aren't having with it.

You'd think so.

You'll just have to keep wondering for now, until you get into the beta yourself or until the game is released.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

The Starhawk beta is pretty fun.

You didn't hear it from me. :ssh:

That should tide Feenix over until the game comes out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Uncharted code is for the public beta. Right now they're doing the private beta for the cool people who didn't have to buy their way into testing the game out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously. Also they pretty much already started that with 2, when the game literally starts with a bunch of characters who who they are and what they are doing is only knowable if you've played some side game or something. I was confused at the beginning and even more confused by the end. Stop it, seriously. I just want to hit Disney villains with a giant key.

It's not so much the fact that there are side games that annoys me, but that they're all spread out across different systems. I'm not gonna follow the series around on its little tour like a McRib fanatic.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The thread would be remiss if it didn't point out the Yakuza series.

(Well, also Saints Row, but both the worthwhile editions (2 and 3) are available on 360 and PC as well, so.)

You get Saints Row 2 free with Saints Row 3 on the PS3 though.

But yes Yakuza all the time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did... Did Raiden just throw a Metal Gear into the air and then slice it apart with his sword?

I don't know what to think of this. Bayonetta and its kind are such cheesecake that I can't even stand to watch videos of them, but maybe Kojima's keeping Platinum in line here because this looked like it might not be embarassingly awful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

A game about robotic super ninjas that can virtually cut anything in half including 80 foot tall giant robots.

Not sure where the line is possibly going to be reined in.

Me either, which is why I'll have to watch this game very closely.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Having played Tony Hawk 1 and 2 fairly recently and being the thread's whipping boy for Tony Hawk games, they really have not aged well. The arcade-style gameplay is too simplistic and most of the levels are small and/or boring.

A bite-sized digital release of levels from those two games? That's OK-ish at best, but you'll only get an hour of nostalgic fun out of the game. Maybe more if they buff up the challenges and give you some annoying trophies to earn.

What I feel made the games get worse was when they added in storylines, and when they kept trying to make things harder and more complex and filled with bullshit challenges, and kept building off all those things and forgetting about making a fun game to skate around in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually I found it interesting how he was treated as the only person who saw the enemy as humans in the war.

Yeah, I really liked the war backstory in the game.

Hell, I really liked all the story in the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

We only had to listen to that like once though. How many times does this song pop up?

I hope forever.

That Blue Dragon boss song is composed pretty well, as in if someone said to make a cheesy 80's metal buttrock song, and they nailed it perfectly (The singer's voice is terrible though).

This Chocobo song? It's such a mess of sounds that it's just hilarious. I want all the music for XIII-2 to be godawful metal with literal lyrics.

SO YOU'RE GONNA GET INTO A MONSTER FIGHT
JUST KEEP PRESSING THE X BUTTON IT'LL BE ALRIGHT
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
WAIT YOUR TURN NOW THE MONSTER'S GONNA HIT YOU
NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO ATTACK... DOODEEDOOOOOOOOOO
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

This isn't your granddad's Final Fantasy!

It's kind of sad to think this could be true.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

So, on a different topic...
I am surprised with the number of people who claimed to have gotten into the StarHawk beta in the last few days, that no one else has made even a peep about how good (or bad) they think it is.

Personally, I feel like there's not a lot to say. If you really want an opinion, based on what little we have access to in the beta, it's fun, but there are a lot of little things that could be tweaked to make it more enjoyable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The first Uncharted is simply A Bad Game™

This is pretty much how I felt after playing the demo. I've pretty much never played a Naughty Dog game that was better than average, and the only game that even got there was the first Jak & Daxter.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MUFFlNS posted:

SSX keeps looking better and better :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAl-VNeyQNw

I never played an SSX game after the first one. Did they ever let you start turning while you were holding down X? It annoyed me how I was trying to maintain my speed and maximize my jump, but it would lock me into going straight.

Also, yay Kaori's back.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
At the very least, you needed to hold the button down to charge your jump, and while the button was held, you couldn't move, which meant you couldn't navigate the course. It was pretty frustrating, especially for halfpipes.

Plus, I was very used to Tony Hawk games, where you could hold down the X button and move around freely. So I'd always be trying to hold the button down to always prepare for maximum jump, and I'd just lock myself into a path and gently caress myself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

the truth posted:

It doesn't take more than a second to charge your jump, and then the focus is on pre-winding your spins and flips. This isn't THPS.

The controls for SSX were something I could never get accustomed to, to the point that I honestly felt they were flawed and needed fixing, rather than the problem being with me.

It's like in the NES days when 99% of the games would use A to jump and B to attack, and then some other game would come along and get them reverses or have you pressing up to jump or have you pause the game by pressing select or something. It's just wrong and goes against everything you've come to understand about how a video game is supposed to play.

So if they really never fixed it, then I guess I shouldn't hold out hope for them being fixed this time either. Shame, since this game was looking pretty good after all. :/

• Locked thread