Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If/when my launch fatty PS3 dies out, I'll know that any replacement Slim I end up getting will be able to play God Hand if I shell out $10 to buy it again. Although I could just dust off one of the couple of PS2 I have sitting around instead, or send the PS3 in for maintenance.

Everybody should own God Hand, a physical copy or otherwise, just get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

I keep hoping and praying that some day Backbone does the Sonic's Ultimate Saturn Collection that they said they were interested in. I'd drop $60 for the ability to play Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga in vaguely HD :negative:

It could be worse. You could be one of those suckers that spend about $200 on a used copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga so you could play it on your Sega Saturn connected to your old rear end CRT that cost you less than the price of a new Wii game.

:negative:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I remember my brother bought FFXIII at launch for some reason. He got 10 hours into it and then just quit because it bored the hell out of him. It now sits in my shelf as a badge of shame, never to be played again (along with Cross Edge, which I bought at launch and got bored with it three hours into it). I seem to have bad luck with PS3 RPGs that aren't named "Disgaea."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Flying Milton posted:

This generation has drat near killed the JRPG. I'm glad NIS is around to throw poo poo at the wall and see what hits.

It seems like portables are the only real remaining platform for them.

On the other hand, I have to keep a careful eye on any future NIS game purchases lately, and not for good reasons. While I enjoy NIS-developed games like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, I pretty much have to avoid games that are just NISA-published such as Atelier Iris and, well, Cross Edge. Nowadays I have to be careful when I see that NIS America tag on a game so I don't accidentally purchase something like Last Rebellion and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I know in a few cases, NISA is roped into some contract agreement to release a lovely game (as was the case with Last Rebellion apparently), but I would think that they'd stop trying to translate and publish every new JRPG regardless of quality. It's like they want to be the next Working Designs or something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tactical Grace posted:

I don't know if I could get my friends behind Rayman to be honest. I'm thinking more action/fighting/fps (but open to suggestions). I want something I can play when I have friends over with some beers and weed. We keep taking turns on BF3, but its boring waiting for a go. I miss the days of split screen Halo tournaments.

It's unfortunate that you don't want sports games, because there's NBA Jam. If you ever played the arcade or SNES/Genesis NBA Jam (T.E.) games, it plays pretty much like that, and it's about the only sports game I could ever get into due to how ridiculous and easy-to-play it is. Though I have that for the Wii and not the PS3 but it should be about the same (maybe better graphics but whatever).

I'm looking at my shelf, and the only local co-op games I can find are all fighting games. Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter 5, (Super) Street Fighter IV. That last one would probably be the best if you grew up with Street Fighter II. (I have no idea how old you are)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Now that I think about it, I forgot that the PS3 has Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, the best kart-racing game I've played in years that isn't a Mario Kart game, and that has four-player split screen (I have that on the Xbox 360). The only other kart racing game I ever enjoyed that wasn't Mario Kart was Wacky Races on the Dreamcast, which had the bonus of being both a good game and feature Wacky Races characters (I'm old).

My friends and I do most of our local multiplayer gaming on either the Wii or one of the many older consoles I still happen to have, mostly the N64 for stuff like Goldeneye and the many good wrestling games it has. It'd be great if the 360 and PS3 had some more variety in local multiplayer games like the Wii has, but what can ya do?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

SpacePig posted:

ModNation Racers

I got that game for the PSP during the whole "free games because we screwed up our internet security" thing, and I found the controls difficult (that slide pad isn't very comfortable for a racing game to me). Is it a lot better on the PS3?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

SpacePig posted:

It is. I tried the demo for the PSP one, and found it to be absolutely broken. The only problem with the PS3 one is that load times can be long.

That sounds good, I don't mind long load times. I liked the concept of the game, but the PSP version is really hard to play. I only just got the PS3 a little over a year ago, so I'm still looking for various games to get for it. Already grabbed stuff like the Uncharted games, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, various fighting games, etc. I have this thing about stockpiling first-party games is all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm never really sure what Kotaku is trying to be. Are they a blog that reprints Japanese game news articles, or an all purpose game website, or what?

It's Brian Ashcraft's blog about how much he loves to check out Japanese high school girls, Japanese idols, Japanese cosplayers, and anime figurines. Everything else just happens to maybe be about games sometimes maybe.

And sometimes it's Tim Roger's blog where he writes 5,000,000-word essays about bullshit, possibly relating to Japan.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 18, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Super Robot Wars OGS2 announced for publishing outside of Japan. THAT'S something I couldn't believe.

Let's take it a step further for stuff that'll never be released outside of Japan. "Super Robot Wars Z Complete" remake for the PS3 and it'll make it to the states. Come for the Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. Stay for the Getter Robo, Xabungle, VOTOMS, and Shin Mazinger. Of course, this assumes Banpresto will get off their rear end and TELL US WHEN SRW Z2-2 IS COMING OUT DAMNIT :argh:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

KimchiHead posted:

I heard red dead redemption is vastly superior on the PS3 than XBOX 350. It's so much better, it may as well be an exculsive. I'd get that.

Was it really? I ended up getting it for the 360 because of a bunch of random comparison stuff I saw online. Honestly, it's hard for me to decide which platform to get games on nowadays because it isn't as clear cut as it was back in the 16-bit days (Mortal Kombat on the Genesis for blood, Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES for more screen, etc).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Scyron posted:

PS3 only has 1 exclusive hideout for sam which sucks and is useless.

You know, I played the game again when the Undead DLC came out, and I swear they patched in that "exclusive hideout" in the main game of the 360 version, since I rode past an area that had a hideout where there wasn't one before. Don't recall the name of it, but I'm assuming it was the same one as the PS3 exclusive one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I always felt the physics in LBP felt "floaty" compared to other platformers. I like the game, but I wouldn't say it has the most rigid platforming physics.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I'm a white guy who has no interest in the xbox, was there some race mixin' in my bloodline? Off to ancestry.com!

I'm half-white, so I have half of an Xbox 360. The half-Filipino side can get the second half of the 360 but it has to pay three times the US's MSRP. (seriously, electronics are super expensive in the Philippines)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Jamesman posted:

This Chocobo song? It's such a mess of sounds that it's just hilarious. I want all the music for XIII-2 to be godawful metal with literal lyrics.

SO YOU'RE GONNA GET INTO A MONSTER FIGHT
JUST KEEP PRESSING THE X BUTTON IT'LL BE ALRIGHT
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
WAIT YOUR TURN NOW THE MONSTER'S GONNA HIT YOU
NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO ATTACK... DOODEEDOOOOOOOOOO
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

So basically, make every song like Frank West's theme from "Off the Record" (lyrics by Lifeseeker, you know, GONE GURU OH poo poo CONVICTS IN THE PARK drat IT ALL)?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I love that Lifeseeker did the credits theme to Off the Record. The songs they do for Dead Rising sound so bad yet fit so perfectly for some reason.

Renta cops bustin' shots,
he's taking damage
Only one thing to do:
EAAAAAAAT A SANDWICH

I remember listening to the entirity of "Gone Guru" and the lyrics just got more and more nonsensical until finally "PARTY ROOOOBOOOOT!!!" and now I can't hate them (though I can't say they're good).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Speaking of Yakuza games, I just bought Yakuza 4 from my local Wal-Mart for $10 new. No idea why it was in the discount bin, was it not good or did it sell poorly or something? I figured at $10 I wouldn't be disappointed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I don't know why but I have an urge to preorder Hyperdimension Neptunia 2. I think the stress of this year has officially driven me insane. :smith:

Don't encourage NIS America to keep releasing dreck like that in the US when they still won't release actual, good NIS-developed games like the PSP versions of La Pucelle and Makai Kingdom. I'm subscribed to their newsletter and every time I get an email from them it's like an almanac of bad decisions. Their latest one had them announcing that they licensed some anime I've never heard of, and then I remembered that they do anime now for some reason.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

The PSP is dead to NISA now, isn't it? I mean, aside from that one baffling decision they're making to localize Black Rock Shooter.

I did not know that. Great, they're releasing a non-NIS RPG on a dead system instead of an NIS RPG on a dead system, that makes sense. Why does NIS have an American branch anyway? I'm surprised they didn't pass on Disgaea 4 so they could bring over Love Plus or some poo poo.

*angry about NISA*

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dominic White posted:

This is the framework they should use for Doom 4. But they won't, because iD have been trying - unsuccessfully - to make their games 'deeper' for close to two decades now.

Whatever happened to Carmack's stance on video game stories not being necessary anyway? Did Romero secretly return to iD or something?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Hey I'm watching Saint Seiya right now at this moment (watching whole series to get ready for Sanctuary Battle next month) and some of the arcs are totally about things other than friendship.

Like.. uh.. believing in yourself! And justice! Which of course is administered through friendship, gently caress!

The only thing I remember about Saint Seiya is that Seiya can throw like a hundred punches a second like Kenshiro in Fist of the North Star, sans the exploding-in-a-shower-of-blood thing. I really should watch it again, probably. I recall watching some of it in preparation of Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Today I bought several new PS3 games for about $3 a piece, among other games for other platforms, at a local Shopko. For whatever reason, they were having a clearance on select few titles that they only had one copy of each. The PS3 games in question were Heavy Rain, God of War III, Kung Fu Rider, Modnation Racers, and Super Street Figher IV, with Kung Fu Rider costing $2 instead of $3 and they had two copies left when I was done.

Check your local retail stores regularly for good deals, especially if you know it's a place where people don't buy video games from. The last time my local Shopko had a great deal on stuff that cheap was when they were clearancing PSX memory cards for $1 a piece when the PS2 took over.

Also, is Kung Fu Rider really that bad? Everything I've read says it is, but I don't have a Move to verify it myself (but I figured for $2 I wasn't losing much).

jabro posted:

You know that saying when someone gets really screwed over the other person didn't use lube? Well the store didn't use lube but did use a condom..... made of sandpaper.

I guess that explains why they had more copies of it than the other games, and at a lower price point.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 25, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

After the first game none of the Yakuzas are dubbed. They're all subtitled because its what the fans want and its cheaper.

Fixed that for you. The dubbing of the first game was really jarring. "I'm in Japan and everybody speaks fluid English, just like Tokyo Drift!" On the other hand, I had no problem with the dubbing of Shenmue. v:shobon:v

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

So when should we expect the reveal that God Gundam makes it into the game? :v:

Here comes a new challenger!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

If Snake gets into Brawl but not this I will laugh so hard.

I was actually thinking that when they mentioned third-party characters. It'd be the best rage-inducing thing since Mega Man's appearance in Street Fighter X Tekken.

I really hope this game is good. Smash Bros. clones usually aren't very good, except maybe those Japan-only Jump games for the DS. Parappa is gonna be god tier.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Did we ever get any sort of sales numbers on that? It really seemed to just have fizzled out upon birth.

Dunno about sales numbers, but considering how poorly Sony marketed the game, along with how fast it dropped to a $40 game, I'm going to say it did really bad.

I also just heard today that Sly 4 is coming out this week, and I didn't hear it from an advertisement or anything. Does Sony even market their first-party games anymore?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Was anyone else bummed that Rayman Legends was a Wii U exclusive? Because it isn't anymore.

https://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

Wow, that sucks. Not the whole "it's also coming to the 360 and PS3" part, because Rayman Origins rules and everybody should get a shot at playing Legends regardless of console choice. No, it being delayed to September sucks. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

It's a good thing I looked around before purchasing any of the Telltale games. I already have Sam & Max on Steam, and it works well enough, so I'll just buy whatever other games on the PC as well. Had about $10 sitting on my PSN Wallet for the past two years, so I just bought the SCEA-published indie games and added funds to buy the remaining PSone Classics games I didn't already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is the MGS Legacy Collection just a repackaging of the MGS HD Collection plus MSG4 and some download vouchers for MGS1 and VR Missions? Is it even worth it if you already own MSG4 and the HD Collection?

• Locked thread