Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

This is the greatest gameplay mechanic I have ever heard of :aaa:

I need this game, like, right now. I've never had a PC capable of playing it but for $20 on my ps3? Hell yes.
I got it for $5 in a valve sale.

It still looks amazing, it's 3 years old and will probably still be toned down a bit for consoles.

Honestly I've been playing PC games the last year or so, there has been amazing stuff and I'm still catching up. The PS3 game that will get me to turn it on again will be Dark Souls, I'll pick up some of the super Japanese stuff like Catherine and Disgaea 4 for cheap eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rakanakle posted:

What kind of shady stuff? How can someone purchase a game before street date in a shady fashion? Are drug dealers getting shipments of games now?

Pretty sure most people who get games early often pirate it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Seconding the praise for Bloodrayne. It also has a seriously great Castlevania: SOTN-ish soundtrack, which you can get for free (or whatever you want to donate) here. Even includes NES versions of all the tracks, which are unlockable in-game via a cheat code.

Wayforward are one of the best old-school studios out there. Really looking forward to their Aliens DS game at the end of the month, which WILL be Metroid-style.

Hey virt does the soundtrack! Pretty cool, that guy just used to do VG remixes and now he gets hired for occasional videogame work.

Rakanakle posted:

I was talking about people buying before street date. I just don't understand the idea that someone is being shady by buying a game early.
Oh yeah that's totally the store's fault. I've walked into stores a week before street date, they have a game and sell it to me and I walk out. Nothing shady from my end, they just wanted a sale.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 22, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chrono Cross had good music but I actually got kinda bored with the game proper

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dark Souls is the first PS3 game I am buying in 6 months, so glad it crept up and suddenly it's getting released. I actually got a copy but can't play yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

With games that have larger and more expensive DLC, I end up either waiting for a "complete" edition or subtract the DLC cost from what I'm willing to pay for a game. I'm buying Dark Souls at launch. I bought Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for $5 on clearance, so I'm okay with eventually getting the $20 of DLC if I want it. I'm still waiting on a complete Red Dead Redemption release, and don't really want to buy the game until it happens.
Actually a lot of people do this better intentionally or not and it's a big part of the business reason behind DLC. I'd you buy it used you'll be more willing to get the DLC so they make money eventually.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey guys I heard about a great way to play those games remastered in HD

Emulation on PC :smug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

Catherine is on sale at amazon.com for 40$. Does anyone know why they ship some (most it seems) games to Germany but not others? Persona 4 and this one most noticably. :negative:
Weird censorship laws

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so I have exactly $17 left on my US PSN account. I can buy Street Fighter 3 and then never play it, or Castlevania HD. I really really like the DS Castlevania games. (REALLY LIKE) but everyone says HD was bad and dumb.

I haven't signed onto PSN in like, 7 months but nothing else really caught my attention.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dark souls is so good and it sucks that I don't have much time to play it.

On the positive side I don't need to buy any other games for the rest of the year

Edit: not kidding

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 8, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I went with the temple knight on my Demon's Souls reroll in the end. She had the lowest magic stat, which meant more points towards the stats that enhance stabby death. The magic is just an emergency heal? I can live with that. Turns out the annoying blue glow on my royal character was from the magic wand, not the general soul glow, and the temple knight has a more restrained golden glow coming from her talisman. Visually it's much less distracting, which is another bonus.

Wasn't too crazy on the halberd, but in just a few minutes I got back as far as I had in my first 3 hours of play thanks to being a bit more durable and hard-hitting and I bought myself some new weapons. Now I'm torn between the spear and longsword. Both of them are so much fun to use. The longsword is currently my favourite (slightly) as I like the slash attack for carving up a bunch of enemies, and its strong attack thrusting the sword into the face of a single foe is total boss.

This is a drat fine game. drat fine.

Edit: Just met and beat Phalanx. My word that was a fun and very satisfying boss fight. Returned to the Nexus with a bunch of stuff and upgraded my longsword to +1 and my spear to +2. Now I'm really ready to get some serious killing done.

Did I mention that this is a drat fine game?
Actually Faith is for miracles (white magic) and Magic is for black magic, as a temple knight you have decent faith so you can use miracles no problem. If you never bother there's at least one really good miracle called evacuate that lets you escape to the nexus with all your souls in case you have a feeling you are going to die and want to cash out.

Keep more than one weapon on hand, some are better for different situations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rusty posted:

I feel like I was discouraged in buying Demon's Souls because of the difficulty, but I decided because of all the hype I would rent Dark Souls and see what I was missing. Dark Souls is a great game but I was pretty bad at it. In fact, I felt like I had reached a point where I wouldn't be able to progress any further but I also felt that there was something about the game that was really addicting.

I decided after a couple days to return Dark Souls and just buy Demon's Souls for $20. I heard it may be easier and $20 isn't really a huge investment. What a great decision. I am sure at some point I will be frustrated, but after about 20 hours, I have to say the game play is even more addicting than Dark Souls, and the game is just plain easier. I really like the Nexus more than the camp fire element, and the game in general feels a bit more, I am not sure how to say it, but approachable. I also like all the worlds a lot more so far in Demon's more than what I played of Dark.
Yeah dark souls is great but definitely feels like it's made for veterans of the first. You're right that the nexus makes the game more approachable - you have a friendly base to return to, you can easily get from place to place and it feels like you have a useful supporting cast that sticks with you. This wasn't bleak enough so in dark souls you are constantly on the run in weird new areas and everyone hates you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha. Before this they couldn't stop talking about how he was a "younger" Dante and that totally explained everything and it was a prequel. Now it's totally an alternate dimension guys. (Please stop hating our design.)
Yeah except DMC3 was already a prequel where he gets his devil trigger powers as a young man so that made even less sense

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kly posted:

UC 1 is not a great game nor does it have a good story. I'm not sure why goons always say to play it first for the story and characters, I'm assuming they've just never read a book or something or are comparing it to their animes. Skip 1 and play 2 it has much better gameplay. The story's still nothing to write home about. I haven't tried UC3 yet, I hear the aiming is broken in single player though.
When people talk about a game story they are talking less about the literal script (book comparison) and more about the fact that there are neat setpieces and entertaining banter to accompany them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

You're also forgetting Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 comes out tomorrow as well.
Haha seriously? I liked the original and I didn't even know that.

I don't really have time for fighting games anymore though, if you want to be decent they take a lot of effort to learn.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just want to say that I haven't bought a single PS3 game since Dark Souls came out in October and I am still totally ok with that. I just got into it again recently after being stuck for a while, got past the part I was stuck at and am back to enjoying it/dreading every moment again. I don't even want to buy another PS3 game until I'm done.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sorry if this was answered but I checked the last few pages and haven't been following the PS3 thread much.

The SOTC that went up on PSN - it's $20 right? What difference is there between that and the Ico/SOTC HD collection?

I was waiting for the collection to go digital and if this is literally the same thing but I can get it for less I'll buy it right now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rinkles posted:

This is literally the same thing except the games are separate. It's still $40 for the pair.

Perfect! I just wanted SOTC anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Krad posted:

I think you don't get some extras, like with the GoW digital collection. I may be wrong though.

Yeah I was thinking it's probably missing stuff like the Dynamic Themes or whatever but in the end it's HD SOTC. I hope they continue this trend, sometimes I want an HD remake but don't want to pay for the other games they pack it in with (See: DMC3, MGS3, I bet they'll release FFX as a $60 game anyway)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just a quick junctioning tip:

get HP-Junction, see if you have a GF that can refine Cure magic (I think you might need Siren for this, who was missable) Buy a bunch of Tents. Make them Curaga. Junction to HP.

Now you have like, 2000 more HP on everyone.

A LOT of cards can be changed into items that you can just refine into strong magic and junction to everything. Especially if you don't give a poo poo about the card game just refine every card you have and change the stuff into magic. Some cards also give items that will say, teach a GF STR+60%.

Here's a quick one based on cards you should already have:

Did you get the Brothers GF? You'll have the Sacred card.

Refine Sacred > 100 Dino Bones (Quetzacoatl gets the Card RF ability)
Refine 15 Dino Bones > 300 Quake spells (Diabolos refines this)

junction to STR and now you can actually hit things!

You can get a lot more in depth with the system but honestly I did all of this before I even got Rinoa in the party, equipped No Encounter so I'd stop levelling, and steamrolled the rest of the game, pausing occasionally to wonder why I was still playing a "walk to the end of this room while nothing happens" simulator

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SamBishop posted:

Wait, how has this not made it into the thread already?

Capcom announced the exclusives for Street Fighter X Tekken if you pick up the PlayStation 3/Vita versions: Mega Man in all his pudgy glory from the NES cover, Cole and the cat mascots you probably already knew about, and Pac-Man driving a Mokujin-style robot.

No, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YOOmU1Jko&hd=1

Hahaha YOU FUCKERS WANT MEGAMAN IN MVC3 FINE

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PS3 Update:

Games I bought in October: Dark Souls
Games I played on the PS3 from October-February: Dark Souls

I still love Dark Souls

...! posted:

So I just started Final Fantasy XIII-2 and noticed that my save file is 23 MB. To put this in perspective: that is bigger than my New Vegas and Skyrim saves combined, and people always bitch about how big the save files for those games are. What the gently caress could it possibly be saving that takes up 23 MB? :confused:

No save points :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I mean, would we have seen Sony finance titles such as Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Twisted Metal and The Last Guardian if they adopted Microsoft's publishing strategy? Probably not. I think it would be a great shame to see them forced into just pumping out a couple of big exclusives per year, as opposed to the constant stream of great content that we see right now.

You can see it that way, I can see it as "Why is there SOCOM, MAG, Killzone 2-3, Uncharted 1-3, and Resistance 1-3 all on the same system being paid for by Sony"

MS has Gears of War and Halo. Sony could have Uncharted and MAYBE an FPS, arguably Call of Duty has replaced Halo anyway.

You don't need 3 or 4 games nobody wants. They "financed" Demon Souls by releasing it in Japan only, waiting for someone else to localize it, then refusing to finance the sequel even though it did well. I would have preferred if we never had Killzone 3, Resistance 3, or a bunch of other indistinguishable games and they put all that money towards letting FROM make a great game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doesn't matter you should have let Ashley die anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Interesting to see in that AC3 trailer they didn't use the hidden blade at all. Makes me wonder if he isn't going to be exactly a part of the organized Assassins.
Not until AC3: Sons of Liberty

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Got 3D Dot Game Heroes for $10 because HMV is dumping their game business here ... holy poo poo what a light-spirited, fun, amusing rehash. Doesn't look bad by any means either. It's so drat refreshing after all the "serious" PS3 games I've been playing.

I'm glad there don't seem to have been any lawsuits thrown about. While the gameplay is all-Legend of Zelda, the sprites remind me of Dragon Warrior more than any other particular title.

It's fun and cute and you keep getting moments of "Haha yeah I remember that in Zelda!" But I regret buying it for $70 because I thought it would be impossible to find later. Oh well, more money to FROM and they deserve it for Demon and Dark Souls. I've put in 80+ on Demon's, just beat Dark Souls at about 40 hours and planning on doing New Game + then possibly making a new character to try different builds.

Is there a way to check playtimes per game like on Steam or the 3DS? Because I suspect those 2 games make up most of it.

Robnoxious posted:

So why doesn't Microsoft chase these projects? Is it that they are just too complacent shoveling out another FPS (NOW WITH TANKS! or whatever)?

They do chase similar stuff, XBLA gets loads of exclusives because it pays the devs(which these days are usually just timed exclusives).

Off the top of my head Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Braid were all very well received indie games which were only on XBLA for a while - They're just exclusives rather than internally developed. That said every time I hear "This XBLA game is good" I just wait for it to be released on Steam cheaper and better.

Actually shoveling out another FPS is exactly why I'm kinda annoyed at Sony - They have Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, MAG all competing for the same "shoot at poo poo" seat while MS has Halo and Gears of War. Way too many exclusives are FPS/Third Person on the PS3 for my taste.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Man, I'm about halfway through ME3 now and it's pretty much exactly what I expected. I'm enjoying it a ton on the whole but there are some parts that are just terrible.

-The ~~dream~~ sequences are completely awful.

-The absolutely absurd number of coincidences that occur to allow you to meet up with literally every character in the series ever is kind of immersion breaking (oh hey let's go to a Salarian science station! Guess what?! Literally every Salarian you've ever met just so happens to be posted there yay!).

-There have been way too many completely unearned :airquote: emotional :airquote: scenes for my liking.

-A bunch of side missions are basically recycled multiplayer maps.

But despite that, there's a lot to like. The main plot is pretty fun, I still love the combat, and I'm suprised at how much I'm enjoying the multiplayer. I thought I would play it just enough for Trophy/Achievement purposes, but I've actually done way more than that, it's pretty rad.

The coincidences are really annoying I agree. You know what's worse? If you let characters die in ME2 they have almost identical ME3 counterparts that pop up anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

...! posted:

It's official; the combat in Mass Effect 3 is hard as poo poo compared to the earlier games. Even on Normal the game just piles assloads of enemies on you from every direction so cover doesn't really make much difference. And they all flank you and throw grenades. And now I'm on what I'm assuming is the last mission and I'm having to fight assloads of guys while the screen shakes violently every few seconds. It's nearly impossible to aim right now. (I don't think that's really much of a spoiler but spoiler tagged just in case.) I get that they're trying to make it "feel epic" but all they're doing is making me "want to throw up." gently caress this game so hard. :argh:

What class are you? I'm vanguard with full shield recharge Charge and quick cooldowns and my shield is basically refilled every 3 secs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Living in a country that isn't America or Japan tax.

I imported Bayonetta from Japan for $100 :mad:

Also Vanquish was great I dunno what's wrong with everyone. It was no Bayonetta though, the true GOTY 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In DMC3 you dodge mostly with the siderolls or an occasional jump. The fastest way to move between enemies was with Stinger, the E+Y dual rush attack, Beowulf's aerial divekick. Rebellion+Beowulf with Swordmaster Level3 is probably the most "balanced" moveset.

My favorite part of DMC3 though is that you can pretty much play any weapon combo with any style and get unique ways to play, like with Gunslinger Level 3 and a Shotgun your shotgun gets Stinger and an AOE repeated attack and it basically becomes another melee weapon for you to use, or Artemis becomes a source of damage and extended combos you charge mid-melee combo then unleash as a finisher when you knock them away.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah that explains why I always liked DMC so much better, I didn't like how Ninja Gaiden was so defensive and rewarded spamming the same couple of moves.

Also, NG1 came out at the same time as DMC1 right? By the time you get to DMC3 the series has become tons better but NG just fell in quality.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey nobody told me I could have bought Catherine in full from the PSN.

I don't really feel like playing it anymore but it would have been nice to know (I could not find it in any stores around here)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Disgaea might be my favorite SRPG, but not even remotely because of the actual SRPG parts. Its an extremely spergy game that is entirely about making all your numbers go up as fast as possible. Mainly by dissecting the piles of systems the game throws at you and figuring out how to exploit them to the best of your ability. And then grinding the gently caress out of those holes until all your characters have thousands of levels.

NIS makes games for a very specific type of person: the mentally ill.

I like Disgaea because if you actually put some effort into trying to stay alive you can go into super high level item worlds way too early and get stuff you shouldn't have. I'm getting the itch to play it again and I'm probably gonna buy the Vita Disgaea 3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

notZaar posted:

Hey whatever happened to that Team Ico game Last Guardian? Seems like it just dropped off the radar completely.
Man it's never a good sign when a game disappears completely for a while :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DangerKat posted:

Playing through Uncharted 1 on Crushing.. my god... these pirates breathe on you and you need to take cover.

A difficult game can be fun. Sometimes developers design a game from the ground up to be challenging but fair, and give you a sense of accomplishment when you win. Then sometimes they literally crank all the numbers to +500 and call it a day (Uncharted)

It's not even fun anymore on Crushing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The combat system in general will be more 'modernized' and simplified.

Uhhh...

This doesn't sound good at all. A lot of people complain that GOW is too simplified, making it any simpler is a recipe for a boring game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Everything I've heard about prototype 2 makes it seem really bad which is a shame because the first was fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

...! posted:

It's pretty good, just not as good as the first one. I'd still recommend it over either inFamous game. I'm probably in the minority on that but I just hate how you're a glass cannon in the inFamous games. You've got a lot of awesome powers but it seems like you die every time you get grazed by something. In contrast, the Prototype games legitimately make you feel like you're playing a real badass.

See that's a problem because the first one was a really fun but flawed game, and if they polished it up a bit it would be great. If they didn't there's just no point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

Rayman: Origins was supposed to be $15 with PS+ today, but according to the Blog that's not going to happen. So much for my backup plan for when I need to share the Diablo 3 machine computer with my girlfriend. They don't know if the sale will go through next update, either.

Aw I really want to get this on the PS3. The Vita version looks INCREDIBLE for a handheld but I want the coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played Prototype 2 at a friend's... It doesn't feel like a more polished Prototype. It feels like a Prototype 1 mod. I didn't really like it.

• Locked thread