Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So, who should I blame for Other M having terrible combat and the blandest environments in the entire series? Because that's why I stopped playing the game two hours in and not because of some lovely cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

it's amusing how by trying to appease the "don't make it like COD!!!!!" internet people the developers turned HR's combat into the ultimate cover shooter instead of giving you ways to experiment with the combat like they did with the rest of the game. "it stays true to its roots" is utter bullshit since both DE1 and IW let you face enemies head on if you wished to.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is there some sort of curse that doesn't allow FPS reticules when using motion controllers to stay on the center of the screen and use the remote itself to turn and aim at the same time? I've been watching some videos of the Move being used to play Killzone 3 and it seems to use the same horrid control scheme as the Wii where if someone isn't on the center of the screen you're hosed because you'll start to turn around while dragging the crosshair trying to shoot them.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The challenge from Demon's Souls came from the game being pretty hard but fair even when it came to player invasions. Having Godmode developers after the game officially releases is less "funny and cool" and more "loving annoying."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Go Good/Hard because you get some overpowered ability that allows you to rapid-fire bolts.
Either way, I played Evil/Hard the first time around and didn't have much trouble. It's not a hard game by any means, so you won't need any DLC.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mafia 2 is the one you're talking about. The DLC sold poorly enough that after 2 DLC campaigns the publisher scrapped all plans to release the rest.

LA Noire only had a couple of bland DLC 20 minute long cases as pre-order bonuses.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Don't the vast majority of PS3 games only run at 720p?

Most console games don't even run at true HD.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That makes me :swoon: since earlier today I was like "Man, I wish God Hand were on the PS3/360." Now I just need Contra: Shattered Soldier HD and the DMC trilogy (which I heard was confirmed to be getting an HD release).
Hopefully it's legit and not poorly worded.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

...! posted:

I think you're thinking of GameFAQs.

Goons aren't too different than the average GameFAQs poster when it comes to getting mad about video games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The achievement tells you that you shouldn't worry about killing the bosses. There's no non-lethal ways to get rid of them.

I would've liked DE:HR more if the combat hadn't been another godawful cover shooter and that hacking minigame hadn't been everywhere. The levels were also pretty cramped and the game never gave you as much freedom as the first half of DE did.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Isn't The Missing Link essentially a 5 hour expansion pack? u$15 isn't a bad price for it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The QTEs in Uncharted 1 were so useless and out of nowhere that they got completely rid of them in 2.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Homefront is a budget version of Battlefield basically.

Get it only whenever it reaches u$20.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just read IGN's Uncharted 3 review and now have eye cancer.

*Spends 2 pages reciting the game's back case bullet points without saying anything important.*

quote:

When I rant about why Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than just about anything on the market -- about why I think it's my new favorite game of all time -- I don't talk about the firefights, the new ability to throw grenades back at enemies or collecting the game's 101 well-hidden treasures. I talk about the heart-wrenching section where Drake is by himself and completely lost. He's on his last legs, he's desperate, and I'm right there with him. I'm pushing him through the journey at hand and it's clear that it's a game, but as he stumbles, seeks shelter and loses hope, my heart breaks.

Brown Cover Shooter 2011 GOTY Editor's Choice.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm not sure how it is on consoles since I believe they had to make the maps smaller, but on PC Battlefield is large scale combat with infantry and vehicles. Expect tons of people prone on the ground camping with sniper rifles.
You'll also have to use teamwork to complete objectives since if you're playing alone chances are you'll have a hard time planting bombs in comm stations.

Call of Duty is faster paced (though expect plenty of campers too), infantry-only and has significantly smaller maps. It's slightly comparable to an old-school shooter whereas Battlefield goes more for authenticity.
While Battlefield focuses on team play, Call of Duty gives you significantly more leeway with lone wolf gameplay unless you're playing on certain modes.

Outside of the fact that they're military shooters they don't have much in common in terms of gameplay. With Call of Duty you can do over the top poo poo like run around with dual pistols or machineguns, while Battlefield is more grounded when it comes to weapon customization.

LA Noire is terrible and you shouldn't get it unless you really want an interactive movie with very little gameplay. The adventure aspect of the game is half-assed and so is the interrogation system.

GUI fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 30, 2011

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's too bad that from what I've read it seems like in Uncharted 3 they haven't fixed the lovely difficulty the series has had up to this point.
I think the only Uncharted game I enjoyed was the first title which I bought shortly after I got my PS3. Unfortunately, by the time 2 came out the honeymoon period was over and I didn't like some of the things they changed or added. The increase in the bland puzzles and platforming (hold up and press X to win :allears:) made a lot of sections bland as poo poo, and Chloe and that forgettable British guy were terrible characters who only served to introduce an unnecessary element of melodrama that the series didn't need.
It didn't help that Drake died in 3 shots, which made melee completely useless as staying outside cover was a good way to get yourself killed. Not that this problem was only present in the second game, as I replayed the first a couple of months ago and it isn't as good as I remember.

I wish the series would stop being a graphics showcase and just drop all pretense of realism and babbys first puzzle/platforming game and become a more polished version of Dead to Rights: Retribution.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

So you want the Uncharted series to look graphically ugly and instead of being realistic you want Drake to have a dog that rips guy's balls off and takes down helicopters?

Why are you even playing the games?

I think the elements for a very good game are already in the Uncharted series: being able to switch to firearms and melee on the fly? Sometimes having multiple approaches during combat? This is good, but the way these things are executed is extremely bland due to the series over-reliance on trying to be realistic and its insistence on breaking the combat segments with bland platforming/puzzling frequently (at least in the second title, the first is a bit better about this).

I'm not sure how I came across that I wanted the titles to have ugly graphics? I meant that Naughty Dog should start working on making the gameplay better instead of spending most of their time making the game look shinier.

Basically, the series is decent but it could be a lot better if it played on its strengths instead of trying to vary things up with dull gameplay elements. I remained hopeful that Uncharted 3 would fix some things (not all) in the series that I didn't like, however it seems like that isn't the case.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

They did this with Mass Effect 2, didn't they? I know that it's a little different considering how long the game was out on other platforms first, but anyone know how well the PSN download did versus the disc version?

I think the only u$60 game that got a digital release alongside retail was inFamous 2 in Europe then a week later in the USA. And even then I'm sure it only happened because they had given away inFamous 1 for free on the PSN a few weeks before because of the PSN downtime earlier this year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

With the exception of inFamous2 I've never seen any full priced titles come out on the PSN/Xbox Live on release alongside their retail versions. Usually the digital versions come out a few months later.
I'd assume it has to do with publishers having some sort of deal with retailers or being scared of them not stocking their games anymore due to digital sales possibly making them sell less copies.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Stelas posted:

Back in April or so, the old thread had links to $20 and $50 US PSN cards on Amazon that would just instantly send you the code, no having to wait for the card to be delivered. Unfortunately, the links don't work anymore and I can't find new versions (all products I find are marked 'unavailable').

Did they just outright stop selling them that way? If not, anyone got a link? If so, can I get one if I don't have a US credit card but do have a Paypal?

You could always use this site:
http://www.maximuscards.com/

I've used it a few times and never had any issues with it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

boring long post ahead:

I'm finding Saints Row 2 quite boring. I played the first back in December 2006 for the 360 and thought it was very good for a launch title, however when I played the sequel in 2008 I put it down after a few hours since the wow factor wasn't there anymore.

A week ago I decided to start a new playthrough and I'm still not liking it at all.
The gunplay is unsatisfying: the weapons all lack punch and the enemies fall on the ground like paper. In my 15 hours of playing I rarely used anything other than the dual .44s since they kill enemies (all enemies, since there's no variety whatsoever) in two shots, have no recoil and ammo is practically unlimited since it can be gotten from any pistol laying on the ground.

It has also some of the worst sticky aiming I've seen in a console shooter this generation. The moment your crosshair is locked on an enemy it significantly slows down and moving the camera becomes a pain as a result.

The cutscenes are bland, none of the characters are remotely interesting and the terrible graphics make them even more lifeless than they already are. There also seem to be some audio mixing issues in the cutscenes where all sound effects are a hundred times louder than they are in the game.

The lack of music while on foot is a strange decision considering how many missions there are where you step out of a vehicle. The original title had some ipod-like device which you could use to listen to music anywhere. Why get rid of it? The lack of music could be forgiven if the sound design were good, but it isn't. Every mission feels lifeless as a result.

The main missions themselves are all pretty generic, consisting of nothing but car chases, on-foot shooting or on-rails sequences which are terrible. The game can be kind of glitchy at times, but it shits upon itself whenever an AI ally has to drive you somewhere. Chances are they'll get stuck along the way or their pathfinding will get broken half-way through and they'll start driving aimlessly, forcing you to restart the mission and hope there was a checkpoint somewhere so you don't have to redo the entire thing again.

The game's engine seems to barely maintain above 25FPS and quickly drops down to near-single digits whenever too much starts to happen. The last ten minutes of a stronghold mission ran at 5-15FPS because while I was trying to blow up a boat a ton of enemy cars would keep piling up and exploding or driving into the ocean. Another mission had so many enemies on-screen that when I killed one it would instantly fade away from the game world because it couldn't handle rendering another ragdoll on-screen.

The only thing in the game that I found entertaining were the trail blazing activities. The game has plenty of variation but it's unfortunate most of it is done with the minimal amount of effort necessary. It seems like with the game Volition knew it would sell well because of how *~~wacky~~* it was and not because of its actual gameplay quality.

SR3 looks good (especially due to the new engine), but after spending 15 hours with the mediocrity that is 2 I don't think I'll get it full price like I was going to.

:words:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I read in the official thread that it's supposedly a brand new engine. That's all I know about it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You should buy Demon's Souls first since it's significantly cheaper nowadays and you'll be able to find out if you enjoy the gameplay or not. It's quite a long game so you won't be finishing it overnight.

If you end up liking it get Dark Souls since the gameplay is similar.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Someone gifted me Skyrim over Steam a few hours ago, but I'm not sure if I want to play it. Do the animations and graphics still resemble something made in the early 2000's? Are all dungeons canned environments again?
Is the writing still a terrible pile of poo poo? I don't recall anything from Fallout 3 or Oblivion other than every NPC existing to give you a quest, sell items or say a random fact about the game world. They were all devoid of personality, unlike Nier and The Witcher 2 which put some effort into making most NPCs feel like human beings as opposed to lifeless robots.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

SamBishop posted:

Huh, interesting that you mention that. I'm glad to gear people still remember that series.

Even after a decade I still fondly remember the series and got a PSP back in 2007 to play the remake. I heard there were some rumors of a third game years ago, but nothing came out of them.

quote:

Is Crash Bandicot still a Sony character?

I believe Activision owns the Crash Bandicoot IP at the moment.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

On the topic of Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I liked it a lot and consider it one of the best God of War-style games this generation. The combat was simple yet challenging, the levels were gorgeous and fun to travel, the music was amazing and it was surprisingly long for an action title.
The only things that were so-so were the story, which was a mixed bag, and the first two chapters of the game being an hour and half worth of tutorials.

Edit: The only good thing about Killzone 3's campaign was Stahl. Everything else was done better by Killzone 2 which didn't waste two hours on on-rails and stealth missions.

GUI fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 5, 2011

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rico is with you from the beginning in Killzone 2. That plot point you mention is probably something they left for a Liberation sequel.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

Anyone give the new GoldenEye a run yet?

The new Goldeneye somehow manages to be worse than Duke Nukem Forever. Don't play it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Uncharted 3 was the worst of the series for me. The plot went full-on grimdark and had none of the charm the first one had, the battle setpieces were worse than in the first game and the pacing was all over the place - there's no platforming or puzzle-solving during the last half of the game. The latter was the only thing I liked about it since I've always thought combat was the only thing Uncharted's gameplay was good at.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Azruelli posted:

Bulletstorm II
Black II

That's what the image evokes thoughts of anyway.

Edit: I wonder if the scratches on the sides of the bullets signify anything, or if it was just a lazy manipulation job.
Edit2: Looks like Black 2 is confirmed as a working title according to a list of FPS games on Gamespot, don't know how reliable or relevant that information is, though.

Bulletstorm was underwhelming sales-wise, which means the franchise is probably dead forever. Black 2 has been stuck in development hell for years, the project director quit EA years ago and supposedly Black 2's assets were recycled for the underwhelming Bodycount which came out last September.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Azruelli posted:

If it is what PSM is toting, that's underwhelming as heck. I thought Medal of Honor got canned out because of their sales in comparison to Battlefield.

Medal of Honor still sold over 3 million copies. It's pretty obvious EA would pump out a sequel eventually.

I don't know why companies still bother putting out anything that isn't a brown, jingoistic first person shooter. Those always sell extremely well.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

So The Darkness II is basically The Darkness: Corridor Shooter Edition? God drat you, modern world of FPSs.

Yeah it is. It's fun but not u$60 fun like I found the first game to be.

True Crime chat: I really liked the branching paths and alternate cutscenes in the first game if you failed a mission and decided to continue the story instead of retrying the level again. It's too bad they got rid of that in 2 and it was simply another lovely and bug-filled GTA clone.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Troffen posted:

I think it's less "realism isn't fun" and more that realism often just doesn't work from a gameplay perspective. Realistic guns make sense in survival-oriented games like I assume The Last of Us is, but I can't imagine something like a multiplayer deathmatch-type shooter where any stray bullet kills you immediately being all that entertaining.

All modern multiplayer shooters are literally what you just described.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

About halfway through I jokingly thought "This will end with dubstep" and lo! So the plot is basically the same as every other Crytek game ever; you alone in a tropical location vs a billion enemies. Alright.

Crytek's only Far Cry game has been the first one for PC, all the rest have been made by Ubisoft.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

All that did was make me want to go play Uncharted 3 again. I really don't see the appeal in Far Cry games.

They're the only Rambo Simulators in the market, everything else that's an FPS is on-rails and overly scripted as poo poo.

My favorite memories in Far Cry 2, as repetitive as it was, consisted of climbing hills and sniping people from far away. Or hiding in the bushes, shooting a passing car with a grenade launcher and seeing it backflip and fall on an enemy close by.

It's too bad 3 seems to have some tacked on experience system and has gotten rid of the health bars and weapon jamming, the latter which was neat but needed to happen way less frequently.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I don't think it's possible to tell how "tacked on" it is at this point, considering there is currently very little information about the game.

I mean in regards to shooters in general, all of them have light RPG elements these days.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shalinor posted:

... and it sounds like Frank is like Frank again in DR2: Off The Record, which is faaaaaan-tastic.

Off the Record is at least worth playing just to hear the credits music.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I started playing the first Infamous game. I just finished the first island and beat the boss, and I've been skipping the side missions and doing only the story missions because a friend told me it gets old really fast if you drag yourself around doing the side missions which are pretty annoying. confirm/deny?

The missions where you have to climb buildings and zap cameras and the ones where you have to escort prisoners are terrible, but the rest are pretty fun to do.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Spec Ops: The Line is loving terrible, is this poo poo retailing for u$60? It looks and plays like something made between 2007-2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Don't forget Battlefield 3 also had the worst co-op campaign this generation. I refuse to believe it took them more than a week to make it.

• Locked thread