Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

SamBishop posted:

[Telltale & Back to the Future] Those guys work their asses off, have stuck to the episodic model when almost everyone else has given it up, and they are, the lot of them, some of the nicest, most genuinely game-loving folks I've ever met. I mean poo poo, man, they still make adventure games! That's supposed to be a financial dead end these days!

You probably don't like that they're giving away Back to the Future: Episode 1 for free on PSN right now. On the other hand, giving it away is the only reason I would have played it, and now I'm going to get Episode 2. I mean, they gave me a trophy for picking the correct movie dialog! I could have played 116 minutes of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

axleblaze posted:

How can that be possible though. The whole point of "preorders" is so you know how many are anticipated. According to one guy, someone at amazon told him they are in fact out of preorder stock. Part of the problem seems to be that Amazon made all orders upgrade to the collector's edition and Atlus did not make enough. In general, How hard it is to get a straight answer right now is really irritating me.

... but the reservation keeps the car here!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I haven't seen anyone talking about Need For Speed: The Run, undoubtedly because the trailers have looked like poo poo. After how awesome Hot Pursuit was, I was disappointed.

However, there's a demo now and while it's definitely not as fun (less arcade, no drifting around corners insanely), the concept still holds potential. Reportedly 186 miles (linear, but more than Hot Pursuit) in hopefully interesting environments. The demo has a couple of flashes of driving through the Midwest, which I never thought any driving game would do, and I'm excited to see if they capture just how rolling some of those hills can be. Really, I'm excited to see how well they do the best of all the regions of the US the race passes through. It could be so fantastic!

Anyway, the demo was surprisingly not terrible. I ended up preordering it because you get $10 Amazon-wide credit.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Harlock posted:

The rumors out there are already circulating that it is Los Angeles (again). So maybe it might include some Vegas. Hope that it's wrong though.

That'd be a bummer, I've always been hoping they'd do something in the Pacific Northwest. GTA4: Puget City would have been awesome, with hilly city streets, the viaduct on the waterfront, mountains, beautiful scenery... then again, with how laggy Liberty City could get, maybe we do need a desert locale.

And, of course, powerful gangs in Seattle would be a big stretch, plot-wise.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Shalinor posted:

Screw that, I want GTA: The Great North. Tooling around Anchorage in a beat up pick-em-up truck, drinking, fishing, ... drinking... etc. Then halfway through the game you have to escape to Canada, and you start running drugs across the border or something.

Really, I'd settle for any area that wasn't a desert or city. I really enjoyed the middle bit of San Andreas. Though I'd make an exception for another Vice City-era game, if they could nail the soundtrack again.

As you might have guessed by my avatar, that would definitely be my first choice. But I figure Seattle is at least plausible, it's close enough to a world city. Either way I think we keep getting New York and Los Angeles because gangster stories fit them, and Rockstar doesn't realize that we don't give a poo poo about the story in GTA.

I thought LA Noire was horrible and RDR was fantastic, so I'm cautiously optimistic about GTA5 even if it's set somewhere we've been before. And, actually, I'd take another shot at Miami.

edit: I was just looking at the GTA5 logo resembling money and realized that they are probably going to go with Washington, D.C. That has some serious potential for story, and they could pretend Appalachia and the ocean are a lot closer than they are!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 26, 2011

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
edit: ^^^^ co-op is really fun

Cheats were never a huge part of Uncharted for me, because it's not a sandbox and is fun enough on its own. But GTA5 had better be adopting the reverse of UC3's new policy. I expect better cheats in GTA5!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Morpheus posted:

I played through it entirely without too many long-lasting issues. It's about as stable as a house of cards though; apparently disabling auto-saves helps, but basically it crashes at least once every couple hours. I never ran into any non-crashing errors though.

OTOH I had basically no crashes at all. Whereas Fallout 3 crashed almost all the time, NV I had maybe two crashes the entire game. Some of the PC mods for NV make it look fantastic though, so if I hadn't already bought the PS3 version I might get it on PC just for that reason.

edit: vvv Maybe I just don't get out into Internet Comics World enough, but that's the worst comic I've ever seen.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 29, 2011

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Just in case anyone was wondering, you were all right to ignore Need For Speed: The Run. It has the most annoying rubberbanding I have ever seen in a game, cops that are total assholes, a horrible plotline and bullshit races. Not to mention that I bought a racing game, not Heavy Rain, so why the gently caress am I doing QTE sequences? I'm in Colorado right now, replaying the same event over and over, which wouldn't be so bad if I could turn off the cops actually yelling at me over their radios. This game had such potential in concept, and instead of being simply lackluster (which I'd figured) it's quite annoying. It's very disappointing, and clearly they have no idea why Hot Pursuit was so successful. I guess I'll stick to Criterion-developed NFS games in the future.

Still, if anyone wants to be autolog buddies, my PSN is aheretic!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

SamBishop posted:

Huh... I'm enjoying it, and the QTEs are just there to break stuff up. There's really only a few of them in the whole game anyway. The rubber banding can be pretty nuts, but it also works (to a degree) for you too, and if you can get the other cars/opponents to crash, they're out for good and you're in the clear. My biggest issue is that the game has made me completely OCD about restarting ALL the way from the beginning instead of using the five checkpoint restarts because I need that extra 600 XP for no real reason. Of course, when you completely restart, you have to sit for a good 45 seconds or so, which suuuuuucks.

Hope I'll see you online (it's just SamBishop, same as here). If nothing else we can feed each other Autolog challenges or something. I'm going to give up on trying to nail all the sections and just finish the game up, because it's entertaining enough that I don't find the story anywhere near as bad as Carbon or Undercover or any of those other ones. Plus, I could listen to Christina Hendricks talk for years. Yeeeeaaaaarrrrrs.

Are you to the sections where the cops are shouting over the radio? Christina Hendricks doesn't talk nearly enough to overcome that. To be fair, I never played Carbon or Undercover so I'm probably missing just how bad a NFS storyline could be.

Maybe something is up, because I'm having the exact opposite experience with crashing other racers. I've actually spun a guy out over a cliff and ten seconds later he comes zooming past me. I also ran a guy straight into a barrier at 140 mph only to have him pass me again later. I'm past that section now, though, and the Midwest is a lot better so far; in fact, I'm just annihilating all my opponents now. I'm on Normal mode, by the way.

The experience would definitely improve from feeling less empty. In Hot Pursuit, friends were always playing, and Autolog was a great reason to play the game.

But we can't be Autolog buddies because you're maxed out on friendship. :(

edit: And I just had the most hilarious example. In the Minnesota stage I knocked my rival into an oncoming truck, but he caught up to me maybe a mile from the finish, and I somehow got him to spin end over end in front of me... only to see him teleport onto the road and take off at unmatchable speed. I lose again!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 16, 2011

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I somehow read that as Activision policy, maybe we have that in common.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
My policy for all Bethesda games is wait until the game is both cheaper and as patched as it's going to get. With it, I've enjoyed all of their recent titles.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

SamBishop posted:

Oh man, vote_no, I wish you luck with the Chicago races. They're FILLED with bullshit. If you can stick it out until the end, though, the very last race into New York is pretty crazy. I wish they'd done more races like that. Overall, I think the game was decent, but there was a LOT of frustration in and around Chicago. Thankfully, it's the last of the QTEs if you're really hating that stuff, so overall, there's only three of 'em in the whole game.

Hint: avoid being shot!

It wasn't that the QTEs were intolerable or anything, I just didn't think they should be there and it adds to the overall bad feeling I get from the game. The last New York race is hilarious because as long as you don't die, your rival will wait around until the last cutscene a mile from the finish. You can stop dead and he'll just hang out.

What really made me stop playing the game was trying to get Gold in one of the San Fransisco challenge series where you had to go 200 mph through dense traffic with the horrible controls. You're right, it's a decent game... it just isn't fun, and it definitely isn't worth $60.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Red Dead Redemption is a great example of that: it's huge, and I've never had it lock up my console or even seen the bugs everyone talks about for it. It's always been flawless.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
GTAV on the horizon, though!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do not skip MGS1, and do not play the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock!

• Locked thread