Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I'm thinking about getting the new Sony Tablet with it's super rad Playstation Certified thingy. BUT, I can't see if I can connect it to my PSN account and download the PS1 games I've already purchased.

Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Jjaarreett posted:

Anyone else looking forward to inFamous 2: Festival of Blood? Haven't really heard a peep about it other than vampires, $15, standalone content. I just got my inFamous 2 plat and I really have a soft spot for these games so I'm probably gonna get it although the price point is a bit of a turnoff. Undead Nightmare turned out great so if its just as fun/long I'll have no problem dropping the moolah.

Yes. I am so stoked for a return to Infamous 2. It was such a better game than 1.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Behonkiss posted:

In other news, Festival of Blood continues with the movie theater in-jokes:

Ugh! Whys my PS3 download so slow? Im supposed to be geeting 35 mps here, and Im only at 8% in 1.5 hours of downloading it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I just beat Festival of Blood and I was pretty happy with it. The game is about 3 hours long if you power through, 7ish if you want to get all the trophies. They did away with the level up system of i2, and have it so you complete a task X number of times, they upgrade a power. I.E, stake 20 vampires, upgrade your rockets. You get something every so oftem until you get a trophy.

The user generated content is back, and seems much more polished than last time. The only ugc I didn't like were the ones where yoiu play just to get credit for the trophy.

The only thing I didn't like wasd the lack of a real tutorial. It assumes you played infamous 2 and remember which button is which power. I beat that poo poo a while ago and don't remember all that noise. Also, as a stand alone game, im sure someone is playing this without playing Infamous 2 first.

Overall, if you liked Infamous 2 and want to step back into the world of New Marais it's worth your :10bux: If you haven't played it before though, I would recommend starting somewhere else.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Artix74 posted:

I'm playing Festival of Blood, and holy poo poo, please tell me there's some sort of flight power like Shadow Swarm in Infamous 2. Once I got that and Vampire Sense I literally spent two hours just going around and collecting everything because it was that convenient, rather than a huge pain in the rear end. Also, I really like how they do the trophies. Rather than tell you "Eh, go do *some arbitrary thing* 10 times," it's "If you do this 5 times, you'll get a new/upgraded power, and if you do it 5 more times, we'll toss a trophy your way."

Nope, nothing like that in vanilla infamous. Infamous 2 is worth a play regardless

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
On the other hand, I loved LA Noire. Had a good story, some slightly challenging bits, the interviews were fun.

Its more of a thinking game then a doing game, an sometimes the game does force you to railroad an obviously innocent guy for the sake of a story, but I really enjoyed it. All in all, I probably spent about 55 hours on it to get a 5 star rating on every case, all the trophies, and all the collectibles.

Finally, my wife really liked it and she only plays the Lego games. I had to do the shooter stuff for her most of te time, but she loved the puzzles

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Fuzz posted:

Didn't Games Workshop sue them or something because it infringed on Blood Bowl's creative license? With an actual Blood Bowl game out there now, I could see it being an issue to basically piggyback on that concept, particularly when GW is so drat sue happy.

I think the deal was that instead of making another MLF, they made Blood Bowl for GW.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Morpheus posted:

Just got my official hardcover player's guide to Dark Souls, looks awesome, and I'm reading the back (at work, so I can't quite crack it open yet), and nestled between all the blurbs about Dark Souls info is:

"Side Quest Mastery"
"Ensure that you don't miss a single Side Quest and experience the complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution story."

You didn't know? They easter egged the storyline in. You cant play it, but its there to read through.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
They already know how...

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Scyron posted:

Assassins creed R turkish armor add-on; LTB8-GDN9-FT4M

I got it for free from gamespot and their ace combat "patriot" f-16c dlc giveaway. I clearly got the wrong code as I cannot stay fly an Enzio.

Someone got it already.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

I said come in! posted:

I thought God of War 4 was all but confirmed at this point, so that's what i'm expecting it to be.

Wasn't it leaked on the Mexican PS3 Facebook that they were hiring for it?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
vbC, have you tried the latest CoD? I know it's not exclusive, but it really shines on the PS3.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

liquidypoo posted:

In addition to this, I think you should totally get the Bioshock games. You've never played games until you play those!

Eh, I'd say just pick one of the Bioshock games - the second one is really more of the same. Bioshock Infinite though is going to be off the chain.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Also, Final Fantasy XIII - decent game! And FFXIII-2 is on the way!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is cute and all guys, but instead of getting all defensive over some consumer electronic, could we talk about the awesome exclusives for it?

I'll bite the bullet for wipeout hd ($25 holy poo poo) because it is too loving awesome to say no. Is the online community still active?

I'm not getting defensive, I prefer Xbox over the PS3 any day BUT you come into this thread being all like "listen, I bought your lovely system alright, now tell me what to buy but DONT YOU DARE RECOMMEND SOMETHING I CAN PLAY ELSEWHERE BECAUSE I WILL NOT PLAY THEM ON YOUR lovely SYSTEM" just be like, "Hey, I prefer Xbox, what great exclusives are on PS3?"

Nearly all your posts are "PS3 is a piece of poo poo. Tell me what to buy for it."

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Attention white people: We need to move to the Xbox thread.

I overheard a kid at work today ask his mom if they could get an Xbox instead of a PS3 and she said, "No, Xbox's are fir white people. Black people get PS3s."

No word on who gets wiis (babies)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
AAFES Base Exchange

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Well, I was telling everyone in the back and one guy told me his old (now fired) Gamestop manager told him "2+ kids, sell them a Wii. Blacks get PS3, whites get Xbox."

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Yeah, I have an Xbox and a Playstation, but both my parents are solidly white, so I don't know what the gently caress.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

AAFES is literally the worst.

This coming from the guy with the AAFES wiener guy in his avatar.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Fuzz posted:

So E3 registration opened today and I got an alumni email saying I wouldn't need to submit my industry credentials again if they hadn't changed. On a lark, I registered and... uh... got my confirmation. Guess I get to go to E3 again?

Thanks, Sony contest. The gift that keeps on giving. :haw:

The Biggest Dick

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Harlock posted:

You guys should check coupons more! If I hadn't persuaded you enough :)

Saints Row 3 - $30

My work price matches so i picked this up. Thanks a lot as I was gonna get it for full price when I get paid on Thursday.

Edit for infamous 2 question: i loved it! I got bored of 1 pretty quick but loved i2 a lot. It kept things fresh combat was a lot better, it was just overall a better game. Festival of Blood (standalone dlc for i2) is real good too, but play it after regular i2 as it introduces a mode of travel that id kill to have in i2

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 13, 2011

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Spalec posted:

Has anyone picked up Ratchet and Clank: All 4 one? Its pretty fun so far, but I need a Co-Op buddy who's not loving useless. PSN: Spalec86

My sister-in-law is playing this now and it will be mine as soon as she is done and i buy a new laser. PSN is omnibobb

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Troffen posted:

Well while we're on the subject, what are the missions in Saint's Row like? I've never really been able to get into GTA or any of the GTA-likes. What happens is I'll have fun dicking around the city maybe 20 minutes, then when it comes time to do some missions they're just really bland and uninteresting "drive here, shoot this" types of things and I put the game down and never really pick it back up. Is SR any better in this regard?

Balls to the wall ridiculous crazy rear end action. Youtube "rescue zimos"

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Gotham City Impostors beta should be up for everyone, just search for "gotham" viewing by title didn't work.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone remember the game Magic Pengel for PS2? You'd design monsters and fight them and the different colors gave them different stats and poo poo.

The game was kiddy as gently caress, but me and my homies would spend hours making monsters then trying them out.

What I'm getting at is they should make a game like that where you design your own creatures to fight and you can level them up and poo poo. That'd be dope.

Edit: Selling for like $60 new on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Pengel-Quest-Color-Playstation-2/dp/B000094OT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328835729&sr=8-1

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

notZaar posted:

Is SEN down for anybody else? I got network, just can't sign in.

I'm in RIGHT NOW

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was at my brother-in-laws house and bored as hell and the only games he had to play were Call of Duty and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts.

Cabela had you literally flinging the controller up 90 degrees to dodge hyenas or lions or some poo poo. That poo poo was ridiculous.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Also, as someone who played ME2 on a SD TV, don't play ME2 on a SD TV.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

spidoman posted:

No possible way I'm going into the ME thread, so I'm going to ask here. Is the opening cutscene supposed to be at jumpy and like 15 freaking frames per second?

No, its not SUPPOSED to be. But it is.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Policenaut posted:

That's kinda why I'm pumped for Yakuza: Dead Souls today. The reviews in Japan claimed the game has the largest amount of optional content in the entire series, and it can take up to 100 hours to totally master all of it. The second I'm done shooting zombies in the tutorial or whatever I'm gonna go to the Mahjong parlor and play the day away.

I love you Yakuza.

You have a problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Shindragon posted:

Not a good thing to admit bro. It's how my friends lost their job.

Its Gamestop policy. When I worked there we were told to reenforce it. Games got returned less than you think.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Feenix posted:

I think the general point is it's not Fraud if you are allowed to return it no questions asked.

The "friends" who lost their job did not lose their job because of people abusing that policy. If anything (and I will tell you now there's many other things that caused shuttering/minimizing of Gamestops and such) it would be that Gamestop had such a Legitimately abuse-able policy to begin with. But that's pretty much par for the course with such an idiot company.

This guy is right.

Here is how Gamestop actually works:

Brand new game "X" comes out, you pay 59.99 for it. Gamestop paid ~52.50, making a profit of about 7.50. You trade that game in and get 30 in store credit, Gamestop will then turn around and sell it for 54.99, making 25.00 in profit. All used games/accessories have a 7 day no questions asked return policy. Honestly, I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 5 people return a new title. To make that used sale, I would tell EVERYONE who thought about buying a used game of that policy.

The only people we had who abused the system were people who would come in and buy like 5 $2.00 PS2 games and treat it like a rental system - occasionally though they eventually slip up and don't make it back in that 7 days and Gamestop gets their money.

I would feel comfortable on betting that this policy didn't close any Gamestops. Smaller game stores, or other businesses? Maybe, but not Gamestop. Any Gamestop that is closing is suffering due to the boom of GS's from around 2005 when Gamestop bought out EB.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is there (or is there already?) enough interest in an achievement/trophy thread? I imagine it would be useful in partnering up and working on stuff.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

NESguerilla posted:

As far as Gamestop opening games goes, I worked there forever ago (like Dreamcast era) and we were allowed to borrow brand new games for weeks at a time and we just had to re-shrink wrap them after we returned them. No one really monitored the condition of them either before we resold them. "New Games"

I'd be surprised if they still allowed that though. Although I did buy a "new" copy of Vakyria Chronicles there when it was hard to find and the case was filthy and covered in dirty stickers that I couldn't get off. Didn't feel very new to me.

You are allowed to borrow new games for up to 4 days, and, at my Gamestops at least, they were checked when they came back in. It was just a cursory glance however. Also, we were told not to use any codes, but I'm sure there was no way to check. I only borrowed older games.

Also, how do you (not you NESguerilla, just a general "you") expect them to keep an accurate inventory on the shelf without opening cases? If the box is on the shelf, they have it. If they were using generic boxes, or printed out boxes I guarantee they would either a)represent product they don't have or b) not represent product they do have.

Don't get me wrong, Gamestop has a lot of lovely practices, but opening a box and putting it in a sleeve and selling it for new isn't really one.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

...! posted:

If it's been opened, no matter by whom, that's not new and I won't pay the new price for it. There are other ways to manage an inventory. Other places that don't gut their games do just fine.

And generally have everything behind a locked case where you cant pick it up and look at the back.

Also, thats your prerogative and you're not wrong to think that way. If you get an open one, it should be the last one. Note, should be. Unfortunately, not all GS's (most) are a lot worse than the ones I've worked at.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Urban Achiever posted:

What is the point of that particular practice by Gamestop? Is it just to thwart shoplifters?

And to easily display inventory.

I just want to make clear, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for not shopping at Gamestop because of their opening games policy, just that in their business model it makes sense, and after working at three different gamestops for a total of about 1.5 years, there are loads of other problems they have.

My biggest problem is letting employees open up new games and take them home and play them and then selling them as new. That's lovely.

Also, you have to sell a certain % of used games. There are two ways to go about this, my way was to say "Oh, want me to see if we have this game used? We can save you some money and it has the same warranty as new. No? OK" and that was it. But like mentioned earlier, some people will just grab a used game and "assume" that's what you wanted.

Pushing reserves is another thing that pisses a lot of people off. My idea was, if you are going to get the game, and you are going to get it from gamestop, why not reserve? You don't lose anything in it and often get a bonus for reserving. It's all about the wording of it - "the only way to guarantee you get the game on release day" is truthful. All the other stores could sell out. Again though, some people will say "only way to get the game on release day" which is dishonest.

I've stopped shopping at Gamestop, not because of any of their practices, but because I've found cheaper ways to get games.

Also, I think the Games subforum needs a derailed thread like BSS does.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

SpacePig posted:

The unreasonable part comes in when the display copy is also their last, so it's sell that or lose the sale. Selling a gutted case, with a high chance of having manuals and promo codes missing, for full price isn't a very good thing to do.

When they gut a new game, they should pull manual/etc with the gut.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Spalec posted:

I like to imagine MGS1 is how it happened and twin snakes is what Snake tells to some girl in a bar he's trying to score with.

:madmax: "So yeah baby, then I through the grenade down the tanks barrel and when the guard flew out on fire I punched him in the face and stole his keycard."

And then the whole theater stood up to applaud.

And that guard was Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hey guys quick question.

What's a good local multiplayer puzzle type game for gaming with the wife. Typical question I know.

Specifically, does Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords offer local multiplayer? I couldn't find puzzle fighter on pan, anything decent and similar?

Blah blah more details: I'm stuck in the couch with a broken leg and she's finally starting to play some games again on my computer, specifically Bejewelled and Plants vs Zombies. Its been years since she played games (after kids) and now She's completely addicted. If I play my cards right I might have my gaming wife back for good. Help me goons, you're my only hope.

Any of the Lego games. They are the only games my wife will play with me.

• Locked thread