Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BlindNinja posted:

One of the reasons I stopped playing XII was those hellish dungeons.

Yeah, I stopped on that enormous dungeon full of behemoths were you were spiraling downwards towards a giant crystal. When I found out that the crystal was itself an even worse dungeon any remaining will to play just sort of oozed out of me. According to my friend FFXII contains another dungeon thats just as bad later, while nothing in FFX even comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Well gently caress, I asked Amazon support and they are apparently out of stock of Dark Souls despite the fact I loving preordered it. :suicide:

It's good to know they don't loving understand the point of preordering stuff.

That's pretty bizarre. I pre-ordered it a few days ago and just got an email saying it shipped. The demand must be way higher than anticipated.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the first part of Dark Souls is easier than Demon's, maybe up through Blighttown. But I'd say Sen's Fortress and beyond is harder than anything in Demon's. I've heard some people complain that the bosses in Demon's were harder, but I don't really get that. Other than Flamelurker, Maneater and False King the bosses in Demon's were all either puzzle-y (attack Tower Knight's heels) or just dead easy (Dirty Colossus).

Most of the bosses in Dark aren't that hard once you figure out how to fight them, just like in Demon's. And there are still a few absolute fuckers like Maneater (Ornstein and Smough :qq:).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

And yeah Valkyria is a very very good game but requires animu tolerance, which not everyone has. It makes it easier if you just learn to mentally block out Alicia's voice. :v:

It also takes a pretty huge time commitment to actually accomplish anything, you can't really play in short bursts at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As someone who has played both I'd go with Dark Souls, although Batman is also a great game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A lot of open world games seem to have this weird tendency to present the player character as a likable good guy who tries to do the right thing during cutscenes and story missions, but then encourage you to casually kill tons of people during the open world parts. The disconnect makes it hard for me to appreciate either part.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The AR training missions in Arkham City are funny because the game would be better off without them, even if nothing had replaced them. Whoever made them spent time and money to make the game worse.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bubbapook posted:

Well I don't know about you but I totally kicked rear end on the Ra's challenge after beating all the AR training. It also made me a helluva lot better at flying through the city, which I enjoyed immensely.

That part is just really easy though. The first time I did it I never even dived and I got through it on my first try.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megasabin posted:

The chances of that game actually being good are slim, unless they directly copy Smash Brother's formula. Smash Brothers clones sneak in here and there, but they all suck, because they try to change the formula up and just aren't anywhere near as much fun. Also I feel like the development team puts a whole lot of love and an insane amount of time into each Smash Brother game.

The Jump Superstars series on the DS was legitimately pretty fun, and that's coming from someone who didn't recognize any of the characters other than Goku and Yugi.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

op 5 in the places talked about here: (#5 Japan :whatup:)

Saint's Row 3 breaking the top 5 in Japan only is just bizarre :psyduck:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

e: got it, thanks!

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 23, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Remember Me sort of insists that you swallow the idea that people who lose their memories become physically deformed. I'm not very far in the game yet, but the combat seems a bit hanky at the start. I'll beat it on hard just to say I did, but so far I have not been given any reason to care about Nilin at all. Also she is too conventionally pretty for me. If they had played up their scars more I think she would cooler and less like a beach model.

I've been playing it and only ever noticed one scar around her lip. I think it's kind of funny that some 120 lb woman in street clothes can defeat a bunch of armored mercenaries using mainly punches and kicks. Is she supposed to be augmenting them with psychicness somehow? Also, why does an organization that apparently has clearance to use helicopter mounted heavy machine guns in a residential area arm its dudes with mundane clubs?

I'm enjoying it but I can see why it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 22, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

....but they literally give you free games. You don't even have to buy them. You have plus and they just give you free games.

They don't literally give you free games, they gives you games as part of a service that you've payed for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The retail price for those games rapidly exceeds the $50 you pay for the service even discounting the improved sales you get as a PSN+ member. If you don't like any of the games and don't partake of any of the sales then, yeah, it's pretty crappy and is just for PS4 multiplayer but that is a pretty big "if."

I'm guessing most people are buying it for the games though, right? And anyway, "really good value" does not equal "free".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Why do so many games have Climbing poo poo? Who even likes Climbing poo poo when it isn't explicitly the point of the game like in PoP or Tomb Raider?

This the worst thing. I think so many games do it because a) it allows them to pad out the game length without just adding more fighting and b) Uncharted. It's basically a self paced QTE. It's at its worst when the game doesn't highlight your path for you and there are 10 things that look like hand holds but only one that actually is. You just have to jump to your death repeatedly until your character decides to grab something.

I don't mind it so much in open world games with freeform climbing systems like Infamous and Asscreed, but Uncharted style is awful.

e: People who posted about wanting an entire game of Remember Me memory remixing should check out Ghost Trick.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 8, 2014

• Locked thread