Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Puddin posted:

I bought the MGSHD collection and I just can't get into the controls.

Having played the role of the sneak in Deus Ex I just can't deal with the static camera and having to hold the direction to keep pressed up against an object to get the somewhat free view to look around corners.

Thankfully I bought it from a place that does returns, so I'll take it back and get something else.

Have you only played MGS2? The other two don't have static cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Evil Vin posted:

Quick question, received a PS3 less than a week ago so I'm new to this. Do I need to play Little Big Planet before the second one or can I just straight up skip it.

Well, you can skip it... if you want to.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Whats the best JRPG on PS3? Are there any good ones?? Thank you.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

sentrygun posted:

I haven't played much of it, but I always hear that Resonance of Fate is pretty unique and fun and from what I have played of it, I don't really have any reason to disagree. Aside from that, despite looking for them pretty hard, I haven't found much in the way of JRPGs that aren't garbage.

I've heard mixed things about White Knight Chronicles that were too far on the negative end of the spectrum for me to go pick it up, and Final Fantasy 13 is really you love it or you hate it. I enjoyed it up until Gran Pulse (~18 hours in I think? probably more) and then it really started to wear on me. I'd have actually preferred it to stay as a hallway the entire game, but I'm probably in the minority on that opinion. No clue about FFXIII-2, haven't really looked much into it.

EDIT: Disgaea 4 is excellent if you like SRPGs, but they're not really the same as the standard JRPG so I didn't think to mention it. If it's your cup of tea though, you'll probably love it, especially if it's your first time coming into the Disgaea series.

Hmm, I do like SRPGs and have never played Disgaea games before so that sounds cool, thanks all.

I did play FF13 on my xbox before it died and I got a PS3, i had the same experience getting sick of it around gran pulse

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

Hot drat, that was pretty drat cool.

To be honest, I hope this game is patriotic, just to piss off those who like to bring their personal strawmen into gaming.

Yeah, if theres one thing I say about gaming, its that "personal strawmen" should be kept out!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
As a non-American I can tell you that the vast majority of video games (the ones that take any stance) are very pro-American, so if anyone is making up strawmen and bringing their baggage into gaming it's you.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

So quick question: my 360 was stolen and said 360 had my Mass Effect 1/2 data on it. I just got 3 today and I haven't had time to go through 1/2 with a new Sheppard. I heard the new one, like the PS3 release of 2, let's you make the decisions of the first games. My question is does anyone know how thorough they are with these questions? How much will I probably be missing out on by just jumping into 3?

Download the demo and see for yourself!! They ask like 2 questions, about your leadership style and "combat deaths" (ie which characters died in the other games) or something

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Journey was cool as hell in my opinion.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Im playing Sly cooper racoonus, I remember this game being better back when I was 13 or whatever, for some reason.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

X_ThePerfect posted:

Just finished journey (And got a friend request from one of my 8 companions - given the timing of the request I can only assume the one I ended the game with, which made me smile) and I'm just going to reiterate what everybody else is saying. It is really really good and something I would recommend everybody play at least once.
It looks absolutely stunning, but I think at this point everybody knows this, and the final section put the biggest dumb smile on my face which is something that no other game has done for the longest time.

I really couldn't believe I'd met 8 people though, I honestly thought it was 3 at most.

I met 8 too and it was pretty surprising, its gonna be hard to get the achievement for just having one partner for the entire journey since people kept jumping in and out

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I hated assassins creed 1 so much that I still dont even want to play 2, even though people say its so different and better. I mean.. how different can it be? Different enough to win me over? Maybe I will find out one day.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
When would you ever not know what to do in god hand? You just kick guys asses, and mess them up.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I didnt know anything about Shank 2 before it came out for PSN plus but its pretty cool... for a free game.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Awesomenauts does indeed suck poo poo, I never played DOTA or know what it is though so Im not sure what its supposed to be imitating but I feel that it sucks. I also tried 4am and there was just one guy streaming and it was some floating pixels that looked like an old windows media player visualizer. I hope Trine 2 is good or this will be a real "lemon" of a month of pS+ for me

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Does that also mean I cant play any of my PS+ games if Im not hooked up to the internet to verify my account? If so thats some bull sh*t

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Zeruel posted:

When will they put other great games like Dark Cloud/2 on the PS2 classic list? Who thought DISNEY PRINCESS EXTRAVAGANZA would be a brilliant title to put up there?

They just put up whichever games they can figure out how to run flawlessly on the emulator on the PS3, which leads to some good low budget games like God Hand and some bad ones like Spongebob or whatever

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Hello My friend just bought a PS3, if I give him my account info could he log in and do Game Sharing and get all the downloaded games I have, on his account? Is this how game sharing should/can work or no? I dont care if he gets my personal info or whatever. Thank you

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
What are some of the best 2-player online PSN games? My friend just got a PS3 and we're doing game sharing trying to find games we can split and play with each other. So far we have Wipeout HD, Shank 2, Tekken DR... what else is good???

It sucks that the pixeljunk games arent online 2 player!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Here's a list of all of the coop games for PS3 so far:
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/2/playstation-3.html

Obviously, you'll have to double-check which ones are on the PSN.

Stuff like Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands and Resident Evil 5 are always good.

That list is fuckin cool, as hell, thank you. Is there a list like that for competitive 2 player too? We are willing to play co-op or versus and that site seems to only be about co- op gaming.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

VF5 feels awful. Like I've been transported back to a time when fighters were kinda lame and janky.

Actually its cool.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

the truth posted:

I'm not getting high and mighty - I'll never bother to learn how to use the creation tools in LBP - I'm just being logical. As I said in my previous post, spending your time creating something for others is more valuable than being self-centered.

Hahah

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Green Puddin posted:

Man, is it just me or is PSN slow when it comes to downloading games? I couldn't pass up the deals on BioShock 2 and LA Noire, plus I recently got a new hard drive to cram all the other games I've wanted to finish on it, and now the PS+ freebies and my downloads list is full.

Last I checked before coming into work today, LA Noire was at 85% and had been downloading for the past four days. Probably doesn't help that Frontier is a piece of poo poo ISP. Any suggestions? I already have my PS3 wired into the router (I know the Fats' wireless are not so great).

Its slow but not that slow, I usually average over a megabyte a second when im downloading PSN games

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Trying to play this free Warhammer Space Marines game from the PS+ deal and I realized why nerds love this poo poo: because its loving retarded. What kind of sci fi futuristic universe has guys with british accents dressed up in jousting armor fighting the guys from Lord of the Rings? "Oi I just sliced a wee Ork nob milord" this game could actually be a decent Gears of War ripoff if it werent completely lame and stupid

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh my word that Virtua Fighter game is baaaaaad. It looks and feels and plays like a game from over a decade ago. Seriously, DoA and Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast were both better than this pile of junk. I'm going to grab the last of the easy trophies then delete it I reckon.

Actually its good.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont get why fighting games that have lovely balance and dumb moves are better for casual players, any time Ive tried to get "casual" (read insanely hot girls who i invite over to game constantly) players to play a wacky fighting game like MvC within 10 minutes someone figures out some cheap move that no one else can stop, or just learns to win with button mashing, which isnt fun or engrossing unless you are a mindless mongoloid retard because the buttons you press have nothing to do with whats going on on the screen. Whereas VF is really intuitive and balanced and everything can be countered so even with two drooling retards (read asian supermodels in my home) at the helm they will quickly figure out each others patterns and actually react to them like its a game, instead of hammering buttons and staring in mute dumb silence like cows at the spectacle of corn before them

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I hate games where you have to "learn" how to "play" them in order to play against your friends and have fun, thats why when me and my friends game we put videos from BumFights.com on the VCR and both mash buttons and pretend our button mashing is having an effect on the insanely sick bum fighting action taking place on screen

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

Actually it's bad.

Hmmmmmmmmmm... well, you're wrong on this one big time but that's ok.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

How do you know if I'm wrong? Neither one of us bothered to give a reason.

Ok Ill give you more than one

1) Its cool and fun to play
2) Best net code out there
3) It was free

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I was playing some Just Cause 2 because of goon recommendations, I have a question: if you don't have any ammo how do you take down helicopters/cars once you grapple onto them? I grappled my rear end onto one and then couldnt do anything because the hook thing is busy holding on and I didnt have ammo. Is there nothing you can do?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Thats cool because one of the things I like the most about Virtua fighter is how hard it is to cheese low attacks like in some other fighters, since standing block blocks low punches you have to really suck to let someone do that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think its possible that it isn't the fault of one specific company or game and it might just be that people got sick of the fad of messing around with plastic guitars

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe that there is a path you can take that will make them only come at you more than one at a time when you're on that narrow ledge, and then they can only be single file and you can just slaughter them.

Oh, Dark Souls. For better or for worse, there's really no other modern game that really makes you think about enemy activation ranges and stuff like that.

Its a cool game.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
LA noire was "fairly cool" in this goons opinion, I got it for like 5 bucks and everyone said it sucked big time so I was pleasantly surprised that it was just a decent point and click adventure game basically. It wasnt like GTA but I dont know why you would want it to be.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

jobehaix posted:

I received an LBP Karting Beta invite, but I already have way too many games to play with too little time to play them. So does anybody want it? :)

Sure :) My email is thegoodcoolhitler@gmail.com .

Ive never had a Trophy Patch before, does that mean you can just download trophy support for free as an addon or is it code for them releasing a new version of the game?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

How long were the MGS4 chapter install times for people? I can't believe that "they took ages" is an actual complaint; aside from the very first install which was lengthy, the chapter installs never took more than about two minutes for me.

Yeah they were like 2 or 3 minutes for me too, I dont understand people saying they would play through the game again if it werent for the installs, take a 2 minute break every couple of hours

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Man, unsurprisingly DYAD is :catdrugs: as gently caress.

Its like Tempest, Rez and Zone Mode in Wipeout had a baby. It's hurting my eyes though.

Is it fun? I couldnt tell what in the heck was going on in the dang video preview I tell you what.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Too early to say, really. I think I'm liking it but my need to get three stars has been aggrivating on some levels, and that's not going into the trophy levels (once you get three stars on a level a seperate challenge unlocks that if you beat you get a trophy).

Out of any game I've seen, DYAD is a game you kinda have to play to understand what the gently caress is going on. Watching videos will jsut not help that much because it all just looks trippy as gently caress. As I said the gameplay is Tempest (you travel around the edge of a tunnel), meets Res (everything you do effects the music), meets zone mode in Wipeout (going faster and faster while avoiding obstacles with increasingly trippy visuals) and what I didn't mention is there's also a gem matching game in there (the way you gain speed is by matching colored objects).

Overall it's not really like anything else.

Hmmmmm alright I got a more specific question for you then, do you think the gem matching would be possible for someone who is color blind, i.e. are the gems very obviously different colors or are they combos that look the same i.e. red vs green, blue vs purple etc

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Does anyone else think Little big planet 2 sucks? I try to like it because of the aesthetic and its cool in theory but it isnt fun to play. The actual jumping and physics are so floaty and imprecise that theres lots of frustrating deaths, especially with the grappling hook and other attachments. Also all the gimmicky levels like the sidescroller stuff are really lovely sidescrollers. The user created content mostly sucks poo poo or looks kinda cool but sucks poo poo to play. Why does this game suck

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I just played through both eps of the walking dead since its on the free list now, I thought it would suck but it was some fairly good poo poo for sure. The next episode comes out soon right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

I've got a question for the MGS guys here. I bought the HD collection on Vita, but my Vita broke and it's been at Sony for a while. I didn't get too far into it, but in the meantime I found MGS4 at Half Price Books for just $5. So, is it safe for me to jump right into MGS4 or should I wait for my Vita to return and play 3 first? I'd really like to start 4 while I have the Summer to enjoy it at home and reserve 3 for later, but I don't want to gently caress the story up if that's what would happen by playing 4 -> 3.

(Also, the previous owner was a smoker and the case reeks of cigarette smoke, and the install screen featured Snake smoking. That's the only time I've appreciated the smell of cigarette smoke :clint: )

Youve played the other ones right? Chronologically it goes 1 2 4 so you wont necessarily be missing out on much but theres lots of backstory fleshed out in 3, plus 3 is probably the best game in the series overall. I would wait if you could handle it

• Locked thread