Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
One of my colleagues over at Uproxx has been getting interviews with various fighters.

He got some contacts with Cris Cyborg, and her people demanded $500 for us to interview her.

:wtc:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
a wise man once said you manufest what you want in life, and she wants $500

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-Putting-Out-Heavyweight-Fires-105041

quote:

Wherever you are right now as you read this, look around. Take mental notes on the layout of the room, where the furniture is, where the windows and doors are and so on. Most likely you’re at a place you’ve been before, and if an emergency were to break out, you’d be confident and deft at finding your way to safety quickly. Visualize how you’d slink down the hall and to the stairs, cutting familiar angles on your way to the reprieve of the street. No sweat, right?

Let’s try again, only now the building is engulfed in flames. You can’t see anything because the smoke is thick enough to block out whatever light there is. You’re on your hands and knees to utilize the little remaining visibility, feeling the edges around you to compensate for the functional loss of your primary sense. This also helps to partially avoid the searing heat billowing up all around you. As sweat pools on your skin, it instantaneously turns to a scalding vapor. Your blood vessels dilate to try and regulate the increasing temperature of your body. The fire surrounds you physically and psychologically; you try to cover your face, but it still seeps into your mouth and nose, causing you to cough up fumes like the exhaust of an old car. The room around you splinters crackles and groans as if an invisible enemy is descending upon you from all sides, turning what was once a familiar room into a jungle gym of danger. Time slows; your heart pounds; your fingers tremble with adrenaline; panic fogs your thinking the same way the smoke clouds the room; you hurriedly pull at the door handle to escape.

Now imagine you’re trying to go into the room.

Against the shrieking wisdom that the human amygdala has picked up over millions of years of evolution, you cross from safety to danger, equipped with training and guile and deep reservoirs of courage that -- hopefully -- are enough to squelch the fiery leviathan. This is why children everywhere idolize firefighters. They are the closest approximation to superheroes in our society, only their heroism is rooted not in special powers so much as the rush of adrenaline and self-sacrificing commitment to their community.

None of this is novel to the newly minted UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic, who fights fires when he’s not training to fight the most dangerous men walking the earth. Though he certainly felt the adrenaline surge walking into the belly of the beast in Brazil to fight in the backyard of one of the greatest heavyweights of all-time, when it was all said and done, the win was for Miocic as much as it was for his hometown of Cleveland, which has been sorely devoid of professional athletic titles since the Browns won an NFL championship in 1964.

I'm the four paragraphs of overwrought prose before the first mention of MMA.

But wait! There's more!

quote:

Fans -- who had previously singed Matt Brown -- crackled and burned around Miocic as he walked into the eight-sided furnace. “Hu vai morrer” billowed heatedly, setting the stage for a flashover from crowd to cage. They awaited an immolation, but the fireman from Ohio was ready as soon as the alarm sounded.

Miocic was cautious from the onset; basic firefighting protocol is to circulate around the structure and make note of any perilous signs. Firefighters are supposed to keep contact with the walls around them to stay balanced and oriented amid the blaze, but for Miocic, the fire pushed him to the cage against his wishes. Werdum turned the heat up on Miocic, chasing after him with aggressive combinations. The firefighter backpedaled, calmly, and did what anyone in his trade would do in such a position: He put his opponent out cold.

Ask any firemen and they’ll tell you about the eerie stillness that envelops a room once a fire has gone out. It is almost as if fires burn down the channels through which sound is carried. Listen to the celebration speech after Miocic won, and you’ll understand that silence.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

One of my colleagues over at Uproxx has been getting interviews with various fighters.

He got some contacts with Cris Cyborg, and her people demanded $500 for us to interview her.

Good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

i would wanna get paid for it too

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

colonel_korn posted:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-Putting-Out-Heavyweight-Fires-105041

I'm the four paragraphs of overwrought prose before the first mention of MMA.

But wait! There's more!

Hailing from Kailua, Hawai’i, Eric Stinton has been contributing to Sherdog since 2014. He received his BFA in Creative Writing from Chapman University and graduate degree in Special Education from University of Hawai’i. He is an occasional columnist for Honolulu Civil Beat, and his work has also appeared in The Classical. You can find his writing at ericstinton.com. He currently lives in Seoul with his fiancé and dachshund.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-Putting-Out-Heavyweight-Fires-105041#fjlwvxUQgXb5XAUW.99

fake edit: OF COURSE he went to Chapman.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I just got back from work but apparently Ariel, Esther Lin and their video guy are banned for life from UFC events. Also Bisping is now a champion middleweight. What a world we live in.

What happened with Ariel? All I'm seeing on twitter is lots of 'he's a journalist doing his job' and mumblings about an MMA journalist union :classiclol:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

red19fire posted:

I just got back from work but apparently Ariel, Esther Lin and their video guy are banned for life from UFC events. Also Bisping is now a champion middleweight. What a world we live in.

What happened with Ariel? All I'm seeing on twitter is lots of 'he's a journalist doing his job' and mumblings about an MMA journalist union :classiclol:

He leaked that Conor Diaz 2 @ 202 and Brock @ 200 is happening and it proved true like most of the things he breaks. It seems the UFC have had enough and they ejected the three from the arena and stripped their credentials.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
But why Lin?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Opal posted:

But why Lin?

She was there under the same set of press credentials for the same organization.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's because they were with him and perhaps the credential is for the journalists of the website as a whole as opposed to individuals and you can't remove it without removing them all.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I hope they lift the ban and then ban Ariel again because it's funny to me.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I read somewhere that the ufc said he's banned "indefinitely", they claim that no one said permanently.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Dangersim posted:

I read somewhere that the ufc said he's banned "indefinitely", they claim that no one said permanently.

Can someone give more details on what Ariel said on the mmahour today? I'm sure as hell not going to listen to it and I don't want to poo poo up the monthly thread any more than it already is

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Can someone give more details on what Ariel said on the mmahour today? I'm sure as hell not going to listen to it and I don't want to poo poo up the monthly thread any more than it already is

Ariel confirmed that he was a paid UFC shill for a long time.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Dana told TMZ that if Ariel wants to attend 200, he just needs to buy a ticket from now on, so paradoxically the only person getting hosed is now esther lin

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

http://deadspin.com/blackballed-mma-reporter-admits-he-was-ufcs-paid-shill-1780851837 yeah i know deadspin sucks but they've got what im looking for in this case

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

http://deadspin.com/blackballed-mma-reporter-admits-he-was-ufcs-paid-shill-1780851837 yeah i know deadspin sucks but they've got what im looking for in this case

Deadspin has done some incredible pieces on MMA

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Deadspin has done some incredible pieces on MMA

http://deadspin.com/mma-fighter-in-choke-taps-out-shits-himself-leaks-shi-1734797210

agreed

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
A gawker property attacking a vox media property for impropriety. Now this is the good poo poo.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

The long form piece on Greg Jackson and the Vitor Belfort coverup are more what I mean, but I understand the sentiment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

A gawker property attacking a vox media property for impropriety. Now this is the good poo poo.

Yeah, even if they have a point, this is like the pot organising the kettle's lynching.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not sure if this was covered in the UFC thread but it's dragged that thread down long enough anyway so it can go here, but the UFC have lifted the ban on MMAFighting.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-June-6

quote:

Following a conversation with the editorial team at SB Nation, UFC will not prevent MMAFighting.com from receiving media credentials to cover live UFC events. We respect the role the media plays in our sport and beyond, including MMAFighting’s ability to report news. However, in our opinion, we believe the recurring tactics used by its lead reporter extended beyond the purpose of journalism. We feel confident our position has now been adequately communicated to the SB Nation editorial team.

UFC’s goal as the world’s leading mixed martial arts promotion is to cultivate interest in its world-class athletes and events, and deliver for the fans. We will continue to introduce this sport and its athletes to new fans across the world, and we will do so by working alongside media across all platforms.

e: Rogan talks about it here at 1:26:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbRNSMkDDc

Rogan says, as far as he knows based on conversations with people he trusts at the UFC, the UFC said to Ariel after the Diaz/Conor 2 confirmation slipped out early
"There's only a handful of people who know this information about Lesnar, we're going to fire them all if you let this information out that you've got, so if you release it, you're ruining people's lives" and then Ariel did it after that.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 7, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not sure if this was covered in the UFC thread but it's dragged that thread down long enough anyway so it can go here, but the UFC have lifted the ban on MMAFighting.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-June-6

e: Rogan talks about it here at 1:26:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbRNSMkDDc

Rogan says, as far as he knows based on conversations with people he trusts at the UFC, the UFC said to Ariel after the Diaz/Conor 2 confirmation slipped out early
"There's only a handful of people who know this information about Lesnar, we're going to fire them all if you let this information out that you've got, so if you release it, you're ruining people's lives" and then Ariel did it after that.

lol what a piece of poo poo if true

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That's absolutely ludicrous on the UFC's part if true; there had to be dozens of people outside of the UFC that knew that in the WWE alone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure that's true on the WWE side, but I do think at least on the UFC's end they did do a decent job of keeping it well contained. Rogan seemed genuine when he said he had no idea at all until he saw the trailer because he'd not been checking twitter or anything due to him commentating and preparing all day.

We've not heard about any heads rolling at Zuffa either though, so maybe Ariel called their bluff if it's correct.

As an aside, on a different ESPN show, Brock says the conversation with Vince went "Look Old Man, we do this the easy way or the hard way." and Vince said "Let's arm wrestle over it." and it's kinda hard to tell when Brock's joking about this kind of thing, especially with Vince.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Article:
https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/740199410752212992

Reaction:
https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/740031789494763520

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

On the one hand, if you have reason to believe by publishing something you can jeopardize the livelihood of multiple individuals, you have an ethical obligation to pause and consider if the ramifications are worth a twitter scoop a few hours early.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with a head of a company who frequently lies to get what he wants and tries to exercise an insane and impossible amount of control over the media narrative over said company, AND you've already independently verified the rumors you've heard not only with the company in which "only a few people even know (and they'll totally be fired if you leak this)" but also with Paul Heyman or Vince McMahon's secretary or whoever else, then it's probably safe to call that bluff.

I guess the onus is on us, the viewers, to determine whether we want to believe Ariel Helwani or Joe Rogan's third-party rumor stemming from Dana White.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 7, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joe said it was a couple of people, not specifically Dana, but he's still going to toe the UFC line and he basically says as much a couple of times.

Honestly, I don't think this is nearly as interesting as we're all making it by talking about it.

It's interesting to learn that Bloody Elbow writers have a word quota.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

fatherdog posted:

That's absolutely ludicrous on the UFC's part if true; there had to be dozens of people outside of the UFC that knew that in the WWE alone.

Yeah its pretty funny that people's initial reaction is calling Ariel a dick and not the UFC head brass a bunch of crazy motherfuckers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah its pretty funny that people's initial reaction is calling Ariel a dick and not the UFC head brass a bunch of crazy motherfuckers.

in this scenario the ufc is the hyped up cop with a gun pointed at a guys head saying "hands up or ill shoot" and ariel is the guy responding "YOU ARE UNCONSTITUTIONALLY HARASSING ARIEL OF THE FAMILY HELWANI AND I DO NOT MAKE JOINDER WITH YOUR AUTHORITY. I DEMAND TO SPEAK WITH THE COUNTY SHERIFF AT ONCE"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
like, both sides are dumb assholes in this situation but one dumb rear end in a top hat is way better armed and the other one just had to not talk for 20 minutes, but god forbid mr helwanis sense of justice be inconvenienced even the slightest bit.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Le Saboteur posted:

you've been really salty about this whole thing lol

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I'm Ariel Helwani.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If UFC really wanted to gently caress with Ariel they leak upcoming matches to Ariel and then publicly cancel the match because Ariel blabbed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/17/11960702/fedor-vs-maldonado-results

quote:

In the main event, Fedor Emelianenko and Fabio Maldonado will square off in a heavyweight contest. Emelianenko has won four of its past five fights, while Maldonado

Check out the Fedor vs. Maldonado results below.
Fedor has abandoned the traditional notion of gender binary while Maldonado just got abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Grifter posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/17/11960702/fedor-vs-maldonado-results

Fedor has abandoned the traditional notion of gender binary while Maldonado just got abandoned.

hahah

• Locked thread